GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My hubs (easy going guy!) always asks me about the cases that interest me. And, I told him, "A man killed his wife on a cruise ship because he said she laughed at him." First words out of my husband's mouth, "What man wouldn't want his wife to laugh on a cruise?" To me, my hubs reply was normal and typical of getting to the gist of a situation with one simple question.
So, (according to FBI report) "She wouldn't stop laughing at me" is NOT A NORMAL RESPONSE, juxtaposed to the horror of a blood-filled crime scene and a battered woman being dragged to a balcony. I'm sure the person who typed the FBI report was as dumbfounded (as are many of us) to type/read those same words. The action and response do not line up....example....I saw a spider on the wall, but got rid of it with a bazooka. Or a man, who was flunked by a DMV female behind-the-wheel test giver, was so angry, he drove his car into the building. Over reaction to seemingly mundane events we all experience in life. This will be psychological "why" for the defense.

Has anything been said in reference to what she laughed at?

No, but it was obviously something he was sensitive about. That's why I think alcohol was a big factor, both in her continuing to laugh at him and in him overreacting. If sober, she probably would have reeled in her laughter seeing that it upset him and he probably wouldn't have taken himself so seriously. Lowered inhibitions and diminished self-control were deadly in this case IMO.

You can do a lot of damage with one hit, even only 5 seconds of sustained attack could produce a very bad injury and it can take more than that for a rage to dissipate to see what you've done. I imagine it was a powder keg situation, close quarters, people who know them around to witness any "slights" he feels so they are multiplied, and maybe she was managing him less due to letting down her own hair a bit or feeling like the people around would keep him behaving. My parents always fight on holidays, it brings out their worst, a cruise could be the pits - last holiday I went on them with my dad went home. No going home on a cruise.

I don't think he had to find a weapon. There are cabinets, countertops, dressers, the railing, etc. Couldn't an injury such as hers be caused by having her head hit repeatedly against something?

I believe the physical part of the fight happened very fast. The witness 2 floors up almost made it sound like one long fight. He heard girls/women screaming then shortly afterward 2 men arguing "you hurt my sister". (We know that when her brother came in she was already on the floor.) Then his wife saw the killer at the railing of the balcony - at almost the same time as she yelled for him to get back in they heard the announcement over the intercom for help to go to deck 9.
She was pronounced dead at 9:20.

bbm

That's what I meant -- he had to look around the cabin to find something with which to hit her in the head. His fist couldn't have done such a wound as bad as it was described -- something, anything -- an ice bucket lid, a wooden hanger if there was one in their closet, a lamp, or yes, he could have banged her head against the bed, the corner of a door, etc. I didn't mean a usual or traditional weapon -- just whatever, in his mad-angry state he could find. I do wonder what the "you hurt my sister" meant & who said it. We can assume, but we may never know.

I didn't know that she was pronounced dead at 9:20. Sounds like she must have bled out quickly. SMH What a sad, sad situation.

"At the time of the woman's death, one of her daughters was reportedly heard saying: "I knew my dad would do this. I knew he would do this.""

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...hip-weeps-in-court-as-hes-charged-with-murder

Yes, that's the quote I read - nothing more detailed about what she was exactly referring to, so still a mystery.

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this, so be forewarned.

If she's one of those sarcastic and nasty women (I've known a few) who got off on purposely laughing at him and emasculating him, I can see why he'd be angry. Not justifying his actions, but definitely justifying his anger. It's possible that he took that kind of needling from her for years and finally had enough and snapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first heard this quote, I wondered the same! It could go either way, along with the daughter's quote! "I knew he would do this" could mean she knew he'd snap one day.

I noticed there is no negative talk about the husband anywhere. No previous DV calls to the house. It's unusual.

bbm

I do wonder what the "you hurt my sister" meant & who said it. We can assume, but we may never know.

I didn't know that she was pronounced dead at 9:20. Sounds like she must have bled out quickly. SMH What a sad, sad situation.

Well, the witness said it was a man and we know her brother was in the room so I feel pretty confident it was her brother.

And yes, the whole thing (starting with the women's screams) seems to have taken place in 30-45 minutes (ending at 9:20 with security pronouncing her dead) According to the witnesses and the FBI documents.

When I first heard this quote, I wondered the same! It could go either way, along with the daughter's quote! "I knew he would do this" could mean she knew he'd snap one day.

I noticed there is no negative talk about the husband anywhere. No previous DV calls to the house. It's unusual.

This is how interpret it too. IMO we're going to learn about an outwardly easygoing man with perhaps hints at aggressive behavior, but inside his home where HE felt safe to let go of that control he would and so THEY felt unsafe probably with a fear that one day it'd be worse or even more uncontrolled. Maybe his rage was physical before or maybe it wasn't, maybe it was toward inanimate objects or pets, or even just verbal, but irregardless I think anyone of normal temperament no matter the age recognizes that lack of control in someone and the gut instinct is to fear it.

Some men, (even in high political circles in DC) happen to not have any kind of inner strength to take a joke, IF they are the butt of the joke.

My husband use to be like this a million years ago, took himself very seriously - but not anymore. He learned and use to say, "thats an admirable trait to be able to laugh at yourself once in awhile"....And it really is.

I'm glad he grew out of it. I think my late mother helped a lot in that way with him, because he loved her so much, and they were best friends having the same sense of humor. They'd laugh a lot at each other's jokes, and she use to call him Bozo. She once said that when she died, she wanted her brain donated to science, (and I did thi, after she died,but didn't know which body parts went where) until I got a letter thanking me from the Dept. of Medicine in a Mass. university. I was surprised, because of what she use to say. But then in retort, my husband would laugh and say to her, "but they won't find anything, because there is nothing there"! and they'd both practically cry from laughing so much, their sides split.

It has to do with over-sized egos and learning how to contain them. (imo)

This guy apparently never learned that lesson

This is one of the strangest things!! Im sure that they were probably just maybe not getting along to well before the went on this cruise! It was probably booked maybe 6 months to a year in advance. Lots of things can change within a year! I think he is an insecure and jealous person that has a "life is not fair type of atitude" and blames the universe for his short comings. He seems to have had a few different types of employment ranging from managing a walgreens to bail bonds man and think I read that he also sold insurance once. He just seems like a lost soul and is definetely a narcissist!! I think It bothered him that she was successful with her career and probably brought home more money than him. I really hope we find out what she was laughing at. I think they were argueing and for some reason she started laughing at him and he snapped! Im so curious as to what he hit her with. Maybe like some type of room decor like a vase or something. Why did he say to someone "it doesn't look good" referring to Kristy I guess after he had hit her. I guess maybe he didnt know if she was alive or not at that time but she seemed to have died pretty quick according to the timelines posted. It proves that ALL MONSTERS ARE HUMAN!!

An iron......
Do they provide them in the rooms?

No irons are provided in the cabins as they are a fire hazard.
They will confiscate it if they find one in your luggage, but will return it as you depart the ship at the end of the cruise.
You CAN send your clothes to the ship's laundry for washing and/or pressing for a fee.

I discovered a fern I was allergic to once. You would be amazed how much blood can come out of your nose (just from an allergy)! One hit to the head is enough to kill, and maybe lots of blood came from the victim's nose... hence the comment about it not looking good.

No irons are provided in the cabins as they are a fire hazard.
They will confiscate it if they find one in your luggage, but will return it as you depart the ship at the end of the cruise.
You CAN send your clothes to the ship's laundry for washing and/or pressing for a fee.

Wait a minute, someone can't iron their own clothing? Even hotels offer that. Hard for me to believe. If true, one more reason not to go on a cruise... who wants to be a prisoner in a Compound.

Wait a minute, someone can't iron their own clothing? Even hotels offer that. Hard for me to believe. If true, one more reason not to go on a cruise... who wants to be a prisoner in a Compound.

Cruises are all about making more money from ancillary services. I have friends who are always wanting me to go on cruises. I couldn't think of anything I would enjoy less. That is not what travel is about to me.

Cruises are all about making more money from ancillary services. I have friends who are always wanting me to go on cruises. I couldn't think of anything I would enjoy less. That is not what travel is about to me.

Same here. I have no desire to go on a cruise. Isn't traveling supposed to be about having a little freedom?

:wagon:to Websleuths, bellabear!! We're glad you've joined us!! :cheer::cheer:

Same here. I have no desire to go on a cruise. Isn't traveling supposed to be about having a little freedom?

Some people enjoy it and some people don't. Going on a cruise if unhappily married is not a good idea for obvious reasons- a close proximity and no getting away from each other.

I discovered a fern I was allergic to once. You would be amazed how much blood can come out of your nose (just from an allergy)! One hit to the head is enough to kill, and maybe lots of blood came from the victim's nose... hence the comment about it not looking good.
Yes head wounds are usually very bloody. But from what I read only if it were a wound to the temple or very severe would a person die that quickly.

(Also, i think it was the brother that came into the hall and said it's not good.)

Yes head wounds are usually very bloody. But from what I read only if it were a wound to the temple or very severe would a person die that quickly.

(Also, i think it was the brother that came into the hall and said it's not good.)

From what has been reported, she had a severe head wound.

There are people that love cruises. They are good for older people for sure.

When we travelled , we rented houses and lived in neighborhoods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back