AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick questions: was this lake already covered over by a significant amount of ice during the time of SK's abduction? If yes, how did IK get her into that lake at that spot? Did he dig a hole?

RIP Samantha

So sad to see another beautiful young life taken by a selfish madman. May he rot in hell. Does anyone know if she was found inside the toolbox from his truck? I believe he put the toolbox in the lake so it would sink. That areas is so beautiful... Mountains all around. I noticed camping, fishing and lots of recreation all around the lake. What if he had 'gone ice fishing' and had a tag or receipt with his tackle gear in the shed... just thinking out loud... :)

For those that like to take a google earth walk around....61.55581,-149.23322

I am curious about the housing nearby and if this is plowed. Their was a comment from a man who recently moved from LA and could see the lake but was on it. Possible IK got access from that neighborhood or had keys to one of those houses? DadinAK, do you know?

ok, the easiest thing to do is to go to google maps and look at it to get an idea.

The "housing" is not a neighborhood, apartments, etc. the person on TV was living at a RV campground, which I beleive has a small house. there are maybe 8 or 10 houses that are within a 2 mile stretch there, with half being across the road.

The parking area is typically plowed and or packed down from traffic going in and out. I assumed that fbi /apd needed a bit more room there, so they moved snow piles and cleared it out alot better, than it is. When the gate is locked you have to park right near the road. when it is unlocked, you can drive in a bit, and where you park isn't really visible from the road, especially driving by at 60 mph.

The "hill" is a path that winds down to the lake, not a steep embankement. I would even go so far as to say that it is semi- handicap accessible. It is certainly wide enough to get down there.

so towing a sled downhill wouldn't be a big deal... Neither would seeing someone pulling out a sled to ice fish.

if you google map it, zoom into the spot that says gateway.... then switch to satellite view. zoom in on the fox run "lodge".... to the right of that is the parking area, and the path down to the lake.

That will answer alot of questions folks might have about seeing a truck there.

also, i noted earlier on, that I counted newer white chevy p/u's on my 15 mile drive home and saw 6, on the way in I saw 4.

A white chevy truck, or even a white truck for that matter, is very common here. lots of contruction vehicles and commerical p/us are white.....

Thanks 907! Nice view on the satellite map. Easy access to the lake... You mentioned gates. Is the park closed at night? Do you need a license to 'Ice Fish'? Any cameras at the entrance or in the parking lot? tia

Quick questions: was this lake already covered over by a significant amount of ice during the time of SK's abduction? If yes, how did IK get her into that lake at that spot? Did he dig a hole?

I think either he had to dig the hole or there had been some recent ice fishers there who left an open hole. My question is would ice fishers generally make a hole large enough to fit a body through? From what I've read most make a very small hole (8 inches or so).

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSport.lakeDetail&LakeID=221
link to a lake map.

yes you need a license to ice fish
yes the park is closed at a certain time
the lake IS handicapp accessible.
No cameras that I know of.

as far as diggin holes, I typed this out before, but again...
most augers come in either a 10" or 8" blade size.
two 10" holes side by side (like a figure eight) would be big enough to drop a small person into.
three 8" hole in a triangle or 4 ina square would as well..

To do those you drill them as close as you can without touching, then knock out the piece in betweeen.

drilling multiple holes wouldn't arouse suspisciosn..... a good power auger can drill those holes in probably30 seconds a hole, definetly under 1 minute.

the augers pull the ice chips to the surface as it digs, the piles of chips would then be put back into the holes, and some snow to pack it in there and would refreeze over night..
no one would be the wiser.
it is also common courtesy to refill your holes when you are done...

Thanks 907! I was trying to determine how much ice coverage existed as of Feb 1. Didn't know about augers and all of that. What you posted makes a lot of sense, especially with putting back the ice chips afterwards.

With temperatures that cold I hope her body was somewhat preserved so the M.E. can get some good information.

Video comparing augers.... it's a race!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ksR7ahVf4&feature=related"]Ice Augers Compared - YouTube[/ame]

Never ice fished. Only fishing I did in Alaska, was fly fishing in Wrangell, AK.

Have I missed any interviews or statements from JK or Chris & his camp since Sam's been found? TIA!

No, Chris & family are still on the road, going from AK to NC. TC did thank people for emails of apology though, on her FB yesterday.

I haven't seen anything specifically from JK on FB or anywhere else. The Find Sam FB page has had several posts thanking people for their support and one about respecting the family of IK and remembering there's still a 10-year-old innocent child involved, which I thought was cool. Did anyone else see that or know what it was in response to? Some thought maybe something was done to KA's house (vandalized?).

While it's too late for Samantha and so many others, I wish once kids were old enough they would be shown the Oprah show from years ago in which an expert (maybe from the FBI or some law enforcement agency) was excellent in giving women (and men) advice for not becoming a murder victim.

His #1 item was this:

Never, never, never allow yourself to be taken to a 2nd scene. If someone walks up to you and puts a gun at your head, do not go with them. If they threaten you with a knife...do not go with them. If they try to carjack you and your car, throw the keys, get out, fall on the ground. If they threaten your family, do not go with them.

No matter what you do, do not ever go with the perp regardless of what weapon they have and no matter what they threaten.

The reason is this: you have a much better chance of living even if the perp stabs you or shoots you at the first scene of encounter -- chances are there are more people around or at least nearby. But if you go off with the perp and s/he takes you to another area, often remote, your chances at survival go way down.

This advice has always stuck with me and I think it's so important it should be taught to everyone, everywhere!

No, Chris & family are still on the road, going from AK to NC. TC did thank people for emails of apology though, on her FB yesterday.

I haven't seen anything specifically from JK on FB or anywhere else. The Find Sam FB page has had several posts thanking people for their support and one about respecting the family of IK and remembering there's still a 10-year-old innocent child involved, which I thought was cool. Did anyone else see that or know what it was in response to? Some thought maybe something was done to KA's house (vandalized?).

It was in response to a post or comment on the Find Samantha FB page telling people to take flowers and other memorials to IK's house to remind everyone of what he did. The admins on the page jumped in quick and said take them to the CGE stand instead, that the privacy of IK's family needed to be respected as well.

I agree, very classy.

people were going to set a vigil for Sam at IK's house....

I didn't forget anything. i think the green ribbon thing is just as dumb as stuffed animals at IK's house. No ones going to the lake are they? The place to grieve is the funeral, the memorial and the graveyard. JMOO.

There was an interesting comment posted by lalabb on this adn article http://www.adn.com/2012/04/04/2407690/body-recovered-from-valley-lake.html
I can't tell exactly when because for me disqus says "Just Now", but it is someone talking about IK's travel from February 2nd on.

lalabb says he left with his daughter on Feb 2 to go on a cruise to Mexico and the GF joined them a day later. He spent time in Texas then returned to AK on the 18th of Feb and the GF returned a couple of days later.

Very odd. I really wonder if he put Sam in that lake that night or when he returned.

lalabb says he left with his daughter on Feb 2 to go on a cruise to Mexico and the GF joined them a day later. He spent time in Texas then returned to AK on the 18th of Feb and the GF returned a couple of days later.

Very odd. I really wonder if he put Sam in that lake that night or when he returned.

Thanks for pointing out that comment. It suggests IK might have been in Texas sometime during 2-18 of February. The bank in Azle TX was robbed on the 16th.

Going waaaay out on a limb, I know. If IK took his fam on a mexican cruise, I assume he booked Carnival. only 2 ships sail from Galveston.. the magic and the triumph,,,

there was a 7 day that left on the 5th and the 12th.... I doubt he sprung for a 7 day

and the triumph does 4 and 5 days-- leaving 2/5,(4 day) 2/9 (4day) and the 2/13 sailing wouldnt allow him travel time to Alaska or to visit in TX.

the 2/9 sailing actually gets him back to TX and available to visit with family and rob a bank...how close is Azle to Galveston?... jus sayin' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member