AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the coffee places you referred to are the "Hooters" of the coffee drinking crowd! :waitasec:

My daughter lives in Washington State and they have a Java Girls near their house. She says when it's slow, they come out and wave signs to entice customers. She doesn't go there and she sure doesn't let her husband (drives by with gaze averted)
icon12.gif

Before this case, I had not given much thought to how dangerous this job might be.

http://www.javagirlsinc.com/about.html

Very very scary. 8 pm seems fairly early in the evening and I would think most robbers just want the cash. I wonder why they haven't released a photo of the images captured with the abductor ? Obviously there is a violent criminal on the loose in that area and tip may able to come about about . I hope she's found safe and justice is served for this terrifying crime.

Well it seems to me that there are a variety of reasons why that might not release the tape:

- They could already know who it is and have a pretty good idea of where they are. In this case releasing the tape wouldn't help because they know the abductor's identity and don't need the public's help in finding him. I guess it is odd that their spokesperson would say that they don't know anything and that the tape doesn't show anything, but maybe they don't want the perp to know what they know.

- The cops are afraid that releasing the tape might cause the abductor to harm the victim.

- The tape really is useless and the cops have no idea who it is. Releasing the tape would only scare the public and could lead to no good. Obviously I am hoping it isn't this one.

Personally I think it is the first one. I think the cops know a lot more than they are letting on. And I get the feeling this abduction was done by someone who knows the victim. If someone was just robbing the coffee stand, why would they take her? And how would they know that they needed to do it after the stand closed but before her boyfriend got there to pick her up? And her dad sure seems convinced that he knows who it is.

My daughter lives in Washington State and they have a Java Girls near their house. She says when it's slow, they come out and wave signs to entice customers. She doesn't go there and she sure doesn't let her husband (drives by with gaze averted)
icon12.gif

Before this case, I had not given much thought to how dangerous this job might be.

http://www.javagirlsinc.com/about.html

I live in eastern WA, and we have a few "Sin City" type latte stands, it's sickening and I can't imagine how many times those girls get burned in their negligees!

To address 8:00 pm being relatively early.... in AK winter it is pitch dark at 8:00.

Police have not released the video, which has been a source of frustration for concerned Anchorage residents who want to help find the young woman.

Lt. Dave Parker, a police spokesman, said people might find the video interesting, but releasing it wouldn't help solve the case. "There's nothing in there that will help us identify the perpetrator. We've already told people it's a male wearing a hoodie and that's about all we can tell."

So the man's face doesn't show?

"If his face was shown, don't you think that would have been the first thing out of our mouths? 'Look at this video! Who is this man?' " Parker said.

Parker said the camera gave a better view of Koenig. "We do see the victim in the video, acting and reacting, and that was what led us to realize that this was a kidnapping as opposed to simply a missing person," he said.

Police normally don't release evidence during an investigation unless it could help solve a case, he said.

Detectives were working leads on Sunday, he said. But police lost valuable time early on. The coffee stand reported Koenig as missing about noon on Thursday. By the time police suspected an abduction, snow had covered up tracks and scents, Parker said.

"This is one of those things where the young lady disappeared, and we have no indication about where she went," Parker said.

I am fairly convinced that there is a ransom involved, dad is VERY concerned with getting the "reward fund" up over 100K... and fast. DoubleMOO

A poster at ADN talked about a radio interview this morning with Samantha's Dad. According to the poster, her Father said; "he had no doubt who did this". Also said, he has "promising leads and that they are getting close to finding him, that they were coming for him".
http://www.adn.com/2012/02/04/2300441/father-offers-reward-for-baristas.html

Does anyone know what radio show James was on this morning? Is there a link to listen?

So I guess no one did report her missing at all that first night...
I wonder if they had, would LE have responded at once and looked at the video that first night? Or would they have assumed she had taken a ride with a friend, and told her boyfriend, or whoever was to report it, to wait it out...
They are saying they lost valuable time by not knowing sooner, but so often LE does not take the crucial steps immediately anyway, as they want to rule out other scenarios.

For those who have never been to Anchorage at this time of the year I want you to realize that normally around 3:30pm the sun is down and by 8:00pm it would be pitch black up there. When I lived up there the sun didn't come up until 10:30am and was back down by 3:30pm. They are probably experiencing more daylight now that they are in February. By summertime the sun will not go down at all.

So I guess no one did report her missing at all that first night...
I wonder if they had, would LE have responded at once and looked at the video that first night? Or would they have assumed she had taken a ride with a friend, and told her boyfriend, or whoever was to report it, to wait it out...
They are saying they lost valuable time by not knowing sooner, but so often LE does not take the crucial steps immediately anyway, as they want to rule out other scenarios.
You're right, chances are APD would have wanted to wait and see if she showed up the following day. Nine times out of ten, they probably show up within a few hours.

The only thing that could have changed the outcome is if someone asked the owner to come down to the business the night she disappeared. They would have seen her purse and cell phone still there, the alarm was not set, nothing was cleaned and chances are, they would have been prompted to look at the security video
icon9.gif

Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's torturous for the families to look back.

I am fairly convinced that there is a ransom involved, dad is VERY concerned with getting the "reward fund" up over 100K... and fast. DoubleMOO

I hope so cause that would mean that she is alive. :praying:

Police have not released the video, which has been a source of frustration for concerned Anchorage residents who want to help find the young woman.

Lt. Dave Parker, a police spokesman, said people might find the video interesting, but releasing it wouldn't help solve the case. "There's nothing in there that will help us identify the perpetrator. We've already told people it's a male wearing a hoodie and that's about all we can tell."

So the man's face doesn't show?

"If his face was shown, don't you think that would have been the first thing out of our mouths? 'Look at this video! Who is this man?' " Parker said.

Parker said the camera gave a better view of Koenig. "We do see the victim in the video, acting and reacting, and that was what led us to realize that this was a kidnapping as opposed to simply a missing person," he said.

Police normally don't release evidence during an investigation unless it could help solve a case, he said.

Detectives were working leads on Sunday, he said. But police lost valuable time early on. The coffee stand reported Koenig as missing about noon on Thursday. By the time police suspected an abduction, snow had covered up tracks and scents, Parker said.

"This is one of those things where the young lady disappeared, and we have no indication about where she went," Parker said.

BBM So how could it hurt to release it? Possibly someone could be familiar with something they see - the clothes, the gait of the person, body. Hmmm

Less than two months before police say she was kidnapped, Samantha Koenig filed a request for a restraining order saying she was in "fear of death of physical injury" from Bird after he had allegedly sexually assaulted her.

In the civil protective order request, filed Nov. 15, Koenig wrote that she was at Bird's Anchorage home when he tried to force himself on her. He then allegedly sexually assaulted her, she wrote.

She requested the 20-day sexual assault civil protective order but, according to the file, left a hearing before the magistrate heard the matter. The order was not issued.

Bird was never charged with a crime and it's unclear whether Koenig ever reported the alleged assault to the police.

When asked about the November allegations against Bird, Parker, the police spokesman, said that he was unable to comment because of a law that bars police officials from identifying victims of sexual assault.

Butler said there was nothing to the allegation.

Bird, meanwhile, was in court Monday on another matter stemming from a January allegation of an assault on a bouncer at the Anchor Bar in downtown Anchorage. The charge was dismissed Monday because there wasn't enough evidence to point to an assault, said municipal prosecutor Cindy Franklin.

Reached by phone Monday, Bird said that he was "mentally exhausted and stressed" and concerned that his name was being ruined.

Sexual assault civil protective orders were designed to close a legal loophole that had, in the past, prevented victims from seeking restraining orders against people they were not in a domestic relationship with, Parker said.

They are somewhat rarely used, Franklin said. A filing for a sexual assault civil protective order does not necessarily mean a criminal case will be filed in conjunction, Franklin said. The civil and criminal systems are separate.

It would be terrible to be accused of something you had nothing to do with. That said, I just can't shake a feeling that even if he himself was not responsible. He had someone else who was willing ... He reminds me of Shawn Adkins
icon9.gif

Looks like we need a refresher course on Facebook and other social media in here.

We DO NOT link to anyone that is not the victim (Samantha) or the suspect (no suspects at this point). Because of a restraining order, there is a little leeway with CB here...FOR NOW, even though LE has said he is not a POI or suspect at this point.

We DO NOT link to a page that "might" be one of the above people. If you're not 100% sure, don't post it.

Linking to a Support page, such as Help Find Samantha Koenig, is usually okay. Just don't copy and paste comments.

If a social networking page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private! We DO NOT link to private pages, or post screen caps of private pages.

We DO NOT link to someone's mother, brother, cousin, or milkman just because they know the suspect or victim. And, if you can't link to their page, you can't talk about what's on their page. (No saying, "Go to CB, then find ABC, and find the comment by XYZ" or "SKs friend EFG posted this on their page last week...")

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

As always, if you have any questions, please ask a moderator. :)

Well it seems to me that there are a variety of reasons why that might not release the tape:

- They could already know who it is and have a pretty good idea of where they are. In this case releasing the tape wouldn't help because they know the abductor's identity and don't need the public's help in finding him. I guess it is odd that their spokesperson would say that they don't know anything and that the tape doesn't show anything, but maybe they don't want the perp to know what they know.

- The cops are afraid that releasing the tape might cause the abductor to harm the victim.

- The tape really is useless and the cops have no idea who it is. Releasing the tape would only scare the public and could lead to no good. Obviously I am hoping it isn't this one.

Personally I think it is the first one. I think the cops know a lot more than they are letting on. And I get the feeling this abduction was done by someone who knows the victim. If someone was just robbing the coffee stand, why would they take her? And how would they know that they needed to do it after the stand closed but before her boyfriend got there to pick her up? And her dad sure seems convinced that he knows who it is.

WELCOME to Websleuths, z560!

:greetings: :greetings: :greetings: :greetings:

[snipped]
Meanwhile, the attorney of a man against whom Samantha Koenig sought a restraining order in November says his client is being harassed by people who believe he was involved in her disappearance.

Attorney Rex Butler said his client, Christopher Bird, has been the target of online speculation.

Bird has spoken to police but is not considered a suspect or person of interest, Butler said.

"People from out of state who don't even know him have been assuming that he had some sort of role in this young lady's disappearance and nothing could be further from the truth," Butler said.

Parker, the police spokesman, said as of Monday detectives had not named Christopher Bird -- or anyone else -- as a suspect or person of interest in the case.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/02/06/2303555/police-now-seeking-publics-help.html#storylink=cpy

Looks like we need a refresher course on Facebook and other social media in here.

We DO NOT link to anyone that is not the victim (Samantha) or the suspect (no suspects at this point). Because of a restraining order, there is a little leeway with CB here...FOR NOW, even though LE has said he is not a POI or suspect at this point.

We DO NOT link to a page that "might" be one of the above people. If you're not 100% sure, don't post it.

Linking to a Support page, such as Help Find Samantha Koenig, is usually okay. Just don't copy and paste comments.

If a social networking page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private! We DO NOT link to private pages, or post screen caps of private pages.

We DO NOT link to someone's mother, brother, cousin, or milkman just because they know the suspect or victim. And, if you can't link to their page, you can't talk about what's on their page. (No saying, "Go to CB, then find ABC, and find the comment by XYZ" or "SKs friend EFG posted this on their page last week...")

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

As always, if you have any questions, please ask a moderator. :)

Sorry...I am one of the offenders....I copied and pasted the social media rules a few pages back as given to us by another mod in the Candice Shields thread, and she said you could paraphrase from other's social media pages, just not link to them, so I think I inadvertantly passed mis-information to some others on this thread. Sorry guys! :doh:

It's very quiet today. Even her daddy isn't speaking. I hope that's news... and preferably good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange