Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to sound wimpy but IDK if I can watch this.

That's not wimpy at all. It's smart for all of us to practice self care which includes understanding our own triggers and setting ourselves up for emotional success not placing ourselves in situations which could be problematic. Take a break if you need to...or skip listening directly... and know that that's being strong not weak. Hugs.

Hate to sound wimpy but IDK if I can watch this.

I will watch this, even though I'm quite fearful of what may come out. We need answers and so does the community. I hope to hear there's an arrest or at least there's a suspect. This is so horrible and my thoughts are with all who loved this sweet little girl.

Just heard of this case today and I finally caught up on the thread. I instantly saw the video of the mother and friend and was thrown off. Although everyone grieves in their own way, less than 48 hours after finding ABs body you’d assume the mother would be reacting hysterically and sad within the interview, like many other mothers of victims. It gave me vibes of the Chris Watts interview. JMO.
I do think that this is done by someone very close to AB, and feel arrests will be coming soon. JMO.

As someone else mentioned, the mom has been through more than her fair share of losses. She lost her own mom. Her family was displaced by a house fire last year. The Heavy article linked here earlier has been updated with her tribute to her daughter. There is no doubt that she loved her daughter and was devasted even if she was able to compose herself long enough to appear in a short interview. IMO, there is just no comparison to Chris Watts.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/amberly-barnett/

Whenever they find who is responsible for this, I am hoping and guessing the justice will be swift given how much outrage there rightfully is over the crime. Unlike cases such as Mollie Tibbetts where the people of Iowa will have to pay to feed, house and clothe her killer for the rest of his miserable life, Alabama has a more permanent solution. If there was ever a case where that would qualify, this would be it.

As someone else mentioned, the mom has been through more than her fair share of losses. She lost her own mom. Her family was displaced by a house fire last year. The Heavy article linked here earlier has been updated with her tribute to her daughter. There is no doubt that she loved her daughter and was devasted even if she was able to compose herself long enough to appear in a short interview. IMO, there is just no comparison to Chris Watts.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/amberly-barnett/

I said earlier I got the impression shes hanging by a thread.
My impressions were she is in shock, I made the wild assumption shes in a beanie because her hair is a wreck, she looked wrung out and weak to me. Basically using the boyfriend as a support beam, weak voice. I once cried for the better part of a week. My eyes never did get red. But that's all my impression. We all filter others actions through our own experiences.

time it takes to run forensic on phone/computer/DNA and other forensic:
unencrypted: 8-12hrs depending on size and fragmentation, cost low
encrypted: 24-72hrs note: maybe never, depending on encryption cost high
DNA: 24 to 48Hrs rushed cost extremely high
DNA: 2 weeks not rushed cost low
soil/fiber/skin/chemicals analyst: 3-8hrs, depending on complexity
finger print: 1- 4hrs, note: depends on POI or massive search, national data base could take longer
facial recognition: 24-72 hrs, note depends on POI and cameras
FB/Instagram/etc: 1-4hrs
autopsy: 4-8hrs, depending on backlog, body damage, visual inspection; note: bodies are not left open then restarted next day, once started they are completed same day
all of this is based on manpower and budget

The apparent lack of actual tears has struck me for sure, among other things in MOO.
The lack of tears for sure, the other thing though was that her gestures didn’t seem congruent with her words. She was shaking her head (as in “no”) when saying “I always made sure she knew that”.
-note I am not, in anyway blaming mom for what happened, but something just seems off .

This young girl, who should be looking forward to her 12th birthday, to spring, to playing with friends, and growing up, is instead relegated to postmortem exams, and having her last tragic and horrific moments on earth splashed out in headline news. Because some disordered and disgusting predator felt entitled to harm her for his own sick needs.

Lighting a candle for love for AB, and sending a prayer for eternal peace. :(<3

ETA: agree that perhaps mom was on a sedative, and my assessment would then be invalid. So, just an observation. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Whenever they find who is responsible for this, I am hoping and guessing the justice will be swift given how much outrage there rightfully is over the crime. Unlike cases such as Mollie Tibbetts where the people of Iowa will have to pay to feed, house and clothe her killer for the rest of his miserable life, Alabama has a more permanent solution. If there was ever a case where that would qualify, this would be it.
I respect your point of view.
Here in Tennessee Holly Bobo's parents chose not to ask for the death penalty.
If the family wants it and it's a death penalty crime in a state with the death penalty I definitely support what they want.
Personally I support LWOP ever. Solitary.
Just saying and no disrespect intended in any way.
Chi
Eta Cherish Perrywinkle case was death penalty. He got it. Deserved it. I just couldn't be on a dp qualified jury.

Last edited:
I believe per AB mom that it was actually ABs Aunts, brother in law that was next door.
Yes! AB’s uncle’s brother. The brothers lived beside each other in trailer homes with hundreds of acres of woods.

FTR: The latter post may contain incorrect info that may confuse some readers/sleluthers. @ab01 is more accurate.

If, as stated per JB, AB lived with her bio aunt and uncle (by marriage), it is this uncle's SISTER'S husband who is the BIL next door -- not two blood brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679