Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who could have actually been in the same shoes as this woman… and stopped 30 minutes prior on this same stretch of road, I do believe the public is deserving of knowing a physical description of these kidnappers.

And what about the baby?? Have we stopped being concerned about the welfare of an unattended toddler by an interstate just because Carlee has been located??

Did the trucker specifically claim he saw the person interacting with her, or just that he saw someone pulled over and looking into the windows? If the latter, is it possible that sometime in the few minutes between when she disappeared and the cops arrived, there was just a random person that saw a car pulled over, checked to make sure there wasn’t someone in distress inside it, and got back on the road? No one lying intentionally, just a coincidence that happened to not have anything to do with the disappearance.
The video is unclear. Some people say they see more than one person near her vehicle. Others only see one person getting out of driver side & going into woods. The police arrive shortly after that on the video, then video cuts off.

However, we do not see what happened before her vehicle appears on the video frame. (It was already in emergency lane with flashers on). Not sure one way or the other but, technically still possible the trucker might have seen an interaction prior to what is on video.

She might be too traumatised to give a description of the perp/s.

Mother states there's an ongoing investigation on the Find Carlee FB page
Is she safe at home? Surprised the hospital released her after a few hours, assuming that info is accurate. Does she need a guard in case someone comes after her?

On Sunday, Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis said they are still investigating where Russell had been.

“We’re going to find out exactly what took place,’’ Derzis said.

Russell’s mother, Talitha Robinson, released a statement on Facebook early Sunday afternoon, but it did not shed light on what happened during Russell’s disappearance.

“Just as we made a commitment to not entertain negative thoughts during the time our daughter was missing, we surely will not entertain negative thoughts/statements, unvalidated opinions, or sheer ignorance at such a joyous time,” the statement read.

As someone who could have actually been in the same shoes as this woman… and stopped 30 minutes prior on this same stretch of road, I do believe the public is deserving of knowing a physical description of these kidnappers.

And what about the baby?? Have we stopped being concerned about the welfare of an unattended toddler by an interstate just because Carlee has been located??
I agree. I think the police could issue a statement whether there is, or isn’t an active threat in that area.

So where is this toddler and the abductors? Can we get a general description?

Like....this is a serious violent crime being alleged here. I think LE would want FRESH info from her about the perps first thing, and then they would issue some sort of BOLO for the public, no?

Shouldn't we be getting some information about these kidnappers by now? This isn't like someone shoplifted, this is someone who supposedly snatched a woman off the interstate and held her for a few days. Major, major danger to the public if true. Potentially a child involved.

She might be too traumatised to give a description of the perp/s.

Mother states there's an ongoing investigation on the Find Carlee FB page
Many times, trauma survivors will not be interviewed immediately due to their brain being in an acute traumatic state. If statements made during this immediate chaotic state/time are later found to be untrue, the defense can use these statements to discredit the victim’s memory/credibility/experience. The Hoover Police department has done and continues to do an outstanding job handling the case. Showing Carlee compassion and giving her time to establish some sort of “normal”/safe baseline is imperative for LE to conduct a thorough investigation. If it is mental health related, she deserves the same time and compassion. MOO

Is she safe at home? Surprised the hospital released her after a few hours, assuming that info is accurate. Does she need a guard in case someone comes after her?
We don't know she doesn't have police watching the house to keep them all safe.

The fact emergency services attended the address and felt she needed to attend hospital, rather than be treated in the home, there must have been some injuries?

It may well be the police already know who the perp is and are either watching them or already arrested them. They may know the outcome for the toddler too but not be able to release this info to the public at this time.

All moo

The video is unclear. Some people say they see more than one person near her vehicle. Others only see one person getting out of driver side & going into woods. The police arrive shortly after that on the video, then video cuts off.

However, we do not see what happened before her vehicle appears on the video frame. (It was already in emergency lane with flashers on). Not sure one way or the other but, technically still possible the trucker might have seen an interaction prior to what is on video.
I think we'll get a tighter timeline that will clear things up a bit. The only thing I think is certain in that video is that someone gets out of the driver's side and walks around to the passenger's side, then disappears... most likely into the woods.

Perhaps there was a "child" part of the incident and it happened a bit further up the road, with someone other than Carlee moving the car down the highway some, before running off through the trees.

I'm sure the police know a lot more than we do.

We currently are not sure if there are either of these in the case in the moment. It isn’t a fact, so we wait to se what LE says

Update from WRBC with all information the PD is willing to release at this time

Direct quote:

"Carlee communicated on her cell phone with individuals known to her while on her path of travel up to the point of calling 911 at 9:34 PM. The conversation with the 911 operator ended and Carlee called a relative. She went missing during that conversation sometime after 9:36 PM after telling both the 911 operator and the relative she had seen a male toddler in a diaper on the side of I-459 and was stopping to check on him. Traffic camera footage was obtained which depicted this portion of the incident, and that footage is still being analyzed as part of the investigation in conjunction with the 911 call to accurately determine the timeframe. Carlee’s 911 call remains the only timely report of a child on the interstate."

Direct quote:

"Carlee communicated on her cell phone with individuals known to her while on her path of travel up to the point of calling 911 at 9:34 PM. The conversation with the 911 operator ended and Carlee called a relative. She went missing during that conversation sometime after 9:36 PM after telling both the 911 operator and the relative she had seen a male toddler in a diaper on the side of I-459 and was stopping to check on him. Traffic camera footage was obtained which depicted this portion of the incident, and that footage is still being analyzed as part of the investigation in conjunction with the 911 call to accurately determine the timeframe. Carlee’s 911 call remains the only timely report of a child on the interstate."
Notice it doesn't say only report. It says only timely report. That is key wording.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> That is a very busy highway. How on earth did nobody else spot a child on the side of the road?? Plus, I feel certain that police have reviewed every available video. I also hope that they have gone door to door in the neighborhood to get Ring camera footage to try to find out who dropped her off since she is too upset to speak with them. The police have a duty to the public to keep them safe and to get to the bottom of what happened.

JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very busy highway. How on earth did nobody else spot a child on the side of the road?? Plus, I feel certain that police have reviewed every available footage. I also hope that they have gone door to door in the neighborhood to get Ring camera footage to try to find out who dropped her off since she is too upset to speak with them. The police have a duty to the public to keep them safe and to get to the bottom of what happened.

JMO.
Of course... there are questions if there was something there and that's my point. There are people on this thread saying "the video clearly shows there is no toddler" and things of that nature. The video clearly shows absolutely nothing because it's not clear. It's a very grainy/blurry video that's hard to make out and there's nothing certain about any of it.

We now have a statement from news that Carlee's report was the only TIMELY report of a child on the interstate though. So that means something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679