AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Theory ..... wrong place wrong time
maybe the girls when initially lost ran into some drug dealings ....but unknowingly out lost in nowhere land. It would have appearead as just the wrong place .. No harm turned around and left. However whom ever seen them did not know what they may have seen nor whom they were. In turn followed them to the gas station observed a call being .. The followers wouldnt know why the call was made .. Could they be calling LE to report what they had seen? the followers could have been linked to LE contacted their dirty cops and told them they were following the car dirty cop responds to investigate ... Finds the girls ..pulls them over makes sense for the cracked window and DL being out ... Believe it is someone in LE caught up in drug trade in a small town

Maybe there were tapes. Maybe the re or dings had nothing to do with drugs or LE. Lateral thinking....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

not buying into the tape theory... A bit far fetched IMO for 2 teenage years ...

I hate using phone. Maybe had nothing to do with drugs or LE.

agreed... typing on the ipad is hard enough .. Reading my posts looks like im talking in ebonics

JB did not want to be with her mother. She had a custody hearing coming up. What was she going to testify to? Who stood to lose? Who stood to gain? It is a fact the mother sued state after the deaths. I have no insider information so all of this is speculation and is in no way specifically implicating the mother. It's my understanding the mother had an extremely detailed account of where she was on this night and that was corroborated by witnesses.

I apologize in advance if I've over stepped any boundaries. These things have been on my mind and should be open to discussion if we are talking motive angles.

I have been trying to think about this case in the opposite way... From the car outward. This is because it seems like a lot of things publicly stated about where they told the parents they were going were either wrong or irrelevant. Maybe they did plan on going to those parties, but it surely doesn't seem like they got killed by kids at a party.

Something went drastically wrong around the time of Tracie's last phone call. But, the psychics are right about this much: Tracie did not know that until later which is why she sounded normal when she spoke to her mother.

That was around 11:30. She could have died within an hour of that. So, I have been thinking... What could get these girls executed in so short a time?

O.k., I didn't finish before...

So, the police took note of J.B.'s car at 3 a.m. because, from what everyone says, there is no reason for a car to be there. So, no one can leave a car there for long without the police noticing it. So, this almost entirely rules out a stranger flagging them down and/or pretending to be a cop. A lot of the first thread looked at this theory which actually was presented on Haunting Evidence. (Because it is kind of logical to people who don't know the area... I am not saying everyone was influenced by the show.)

But, what I think is they were betrayed by someone they (or one of them) knew. They maybe were even set up.

I believe they drove to meet someone... That person might not be that close to the B/L. But, if not, they either knew J.B. and Tracie had been there or they chose that location to drive back to for their own reasons. (ETA: I think the girls expected this meeting to be fairly brief due to Tracie telling her mother they were on their way. Tracie's mother said, "Tracie's never late.")

I think the target was J.B. because it was her car. Maybe she usually went around with a friend, so the murderer (being evil enough to kill a young girl on her 17th birthday) figured the presence of a second victim would throw the police off the right track. This is an evil, evil person to do such a thing to these girls.

I've thought about this factor, and those are good questions. However, innocent isn't exactly the same as innocent of this crime. What if the "donor" is someone who wouldn't want it to be known?

A married man? A teacher? Someone with a girlfriend. Just another teenager who was afraid his parents would whoop his *advertiser censored* for being sexually active?

Remember, she JUST turned 17. So the day before, she was 16. Maybe a 25 year old guy doesn't exactly feel great about walking into a police station and admitting to statutory rape. It looks like Alabama's age of consent is 16...I don't know if it was back then, or if the relationship started when she was 15.

Also, keep in mind that they don't know about the DNA at first...so the donor at that point doesn't even think he needs to be involved. Then out of nowhere, it's discovered, and immediately declared linked to the killer by the cops. Now a guy has the choice to either walk into the police station, possibly cop to statutory rape, and make himself the prime suspect in a double murder. Or he can just STFU and stay home.

I can see where one might not come forward certainly for the same reasons you mention but I feel until there's a reason to suspect an earlier event took place the benefit of the doubt should be with it not happening.

Two teenage female murder victims are found murdered in their car trunk for seemingly no apparent reason that they have discovered in 16 years. That is a totally shocking event to have happen. Later in the lab they find semen on her clothing and maybe skin. Should this come as a shock to anyone? In my mind it fits right in with a sexual assault/murder but I'm willing to be wrong.

But that means we stipulate either the competence of the police, or their full honesty. Do we feel ok stipulating either or both? I don't know, especially given many of the persistent rumors.

In a word___no.

Didn't Mr. Hawlett fill J.B.gas tank the previous day? So she must have spent a good amount of time with Tracie on Thursday. I wonder who they might have talked to then ?

I had heard it was filled the previous day but I thought by JB's father. Tracie's Father had died years earlier, her step father was Mr. Roberts. I thought at some point it was said JB visited her father that day which I took to mean she went up near Troy. Given it was her birthday that would make sense. She also was said to have ate dinner with friends sometime that afternoon/evening. I have no confirmation on any of this but if true its at least a partial timeline for Ms Beasley. Tracie worked till around 9pm that night, not sure when she started that afternoon. Welcome to the thread.

Another good question. Curious...has anyone on this thread been in contact with the families, particular JB's family? Her sister has done a youtube video for HCR. I see references in other sites to a facebook page they set up, but it now appears to be gone. It appears that there is some interest at least in engaging the public in this case.

I wonder if there is any other way, other than if shared by the family, of answering some of the basic questions just about whereabouts, the break-ins/searches, who the girls knew or didn't know, etc. I also read somewhere that one of the families had hire a private investigator...wonder if that's true, and what he came up with.

If we had more of the facts it would be good. But maybe this is all just mental masturbation and our own entertainment and no good can really come of talking about this to message board posters, in which case they probably shouldn't share anything about what is at least nominally an ongoing case. I guess it's easy to get caught up in the idea that we could somehow make a difference.

The investigation has likely switched hands in the last 16+ years and rumors have been rampant from the beginning. A basic reminder of the facts and quelling of the rumors is something you would think might happen at least once in a decade. I think the lack of publicity or even simple reminders, other than the obligatory anniversary pieces has led to much of the rumor and conspiratorial theories.

I have been trying to think about this case in the opposite way... From the car outward. This is because it seems like a lot of things publicly stated about where they told the parents they were going were either wrong or irrelevant. Maybe they did plan on going to those parties, but it surely doesn't seem like they got killed by kids at a party.

Something went drastically wrong around the time of Tracie's last phone call. But, the psychics are right about this much: Tracie did not know that until later which is why she sounded normal when she spoke to her mother.

That was around 11:30. She could have died within an hour of that. So, I have been thinking... What could get these girls executed in so short a time?

Excellent post, that is the question and I like the way you lay it out. With no known enemies and from all accounts two very low risk lifestyles it would seem the question could have only a few possible answers.

Question: Where is the 3 AM sighting coming from? Good info or hearsay?

The 3 a.m. comes from the police. E.T.A. and does 8 a.m.

The 3 a.m. comes from the police. E.T.A. and does 8 a.m.

I seem to remember some very early reporting of a very early AM sighting of the car but I thought that had been walked back. If true that's quite a little nugget that for some reason I had missed.

I seem to remember some very early reporting of a very early AM sighting of the car but I thought that had been walked back. If true that's quite a little nugget that for some reason I had missed.

I believe this comes from J.B's sister's interview on HCR. I don't think I have seen an official LE source stating it. If anyone has, could you please provide a link?

I thought I saw one of the police officers give those times on video. I can't check now, but I will as soon as I can. The two I watched recently were the Chief Spivey interview and the HE episode (police are interviewed).

This link is to a forum, but there are only two posts. The first one has the entire article from January 20, 2000 Birmingham News copied and pasted into it. This article gives the 3 a.m. time. Also, there is a lot of information in this article about the crime and the girls.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/alt.true-crime/p4SW7h5_jjQ/nQA3v7AtDRgJ

edited to add... I am on a phone. I think that article is worth copying and pasting. It is very detailed... A great article. I tried to go to the paper's site and see if they have archives, but ugh.. Phone.

Interesting and maybe insightful interview by Thursday Review with JB's mother. Even this article demonstrates that relations were deteriorating rapidly between mother and daughter. I don't know the "allegations" specifically, but it leads me to sincerely wonder what may have come out in the upcoming custody hearing. We keep talking motives... and this one is documented and slaps us right in the face. I don't feel it should be completely ignored or taken lightly. These are excerpts. BBM

Full Article available here - http://www.thursdayreview.com/JBBeasleyTraciHawlett.html

TR: Can you tell us what you know about what happened that night?

CB: All I know is what I’ve been told and read. At about 10:30 p.m. [the night of July 31st, 1999], they were headed to Headland and never made it. Curfew was at 11:30 p.m. and I’m sure JB had no intentions of hitting it. It has been said that they traveled Hwy 27 to Ozark and stopped at the closed Big/Little Store where Tracie called her parents and said they were lost, but got directions and would be home soon. A woman and her daughter also gave the girls directions. They wish they had followed them to make sure they made it ok.

TR: Where were you during this time frame?

CB: I was working in the tennis shop at the Dothan Country Club that whole weekend; there was a tennis tournament that I was working and playing in. When I got off around 10:00 that night, I stopped by a friend’s house to feed his dog since he was out of town. At about 10:30, I stopped by the block party that was being held at Poplar Head [then a popular local restaurant and pub in downtown Dothan]. While there, I met up with my friend, Mace Holman. I remember I kept hoping I’d run into JB there so I could wish her a happy birthday in person. Throughout the evening, Mace kept noticing me searching the crowd. “Did ya see her yet?” he kept asking. But of course, she wasn’t there.

TR: When did you first realize that something was wrong?

CB: At around 9:15 Sunday morning, I got a call from JB’s dance teacher asking me who was responsible for JB that weekend. I thought to myself, that’s an odd question to ask out of the blue. So I asked her, “Why? What’s wrong?” The dance teacher said, “Oh…nothing.” And that was that.

CB: I remember I just started throwing up. Everything was pretty much a blur. My world was tossed upside down. My baby was killed on her birthday. And my biggest fear is that in her last moments, JB was calling out to me, her momma, and I wasn’t there.

TR: Other than news outlets, has this story been featured anywhere else to spread awareness?

CB: Yes, Americas Most Wanted, Unsolved Mysteries, OWN, Haunted Evidence, and The Maury Show flew me and my youngest daughter to New York to do the top five unsolved murders in the country that Americas Most Wanted aired, and I met John Walsh.

TR: Do you think the girls knew their killer?

CB: I really don’t know. I, personally, think that whoever did this portrayed himself to the girls as an authority figure. That’s not to say he was a police officer or impersonating a police officer—I just believe he presented himself as some type of authority figure to either intimidate them or gain their trust. And JB wasn’t afraid of anyone or anything, so who knows?

TR: If the killer was reading this, what would you like to say to him (or her)?

CB: I don’t know if I could even look at him. I really don’t know what I would say—probably something along the lines of “Why? How could you?”

While Cheryl did not have full custody of JB at the time—the result, she says, of false allegations purported by an ex-family member—JB did stay with Cheryl every Monday through Friday. At the time of JB’s death, Cheryl was pursuing restoration of full custodial rights and making strides towards rebuilding their relationship—two goals that would never see full fruition before it was too late.

BBM

ALSO

BURGOON v. ALABAMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-supreme-court/1303260.html

And again, this is not finger pointing at any specific individual as a suspect. This is my attempt to explore all possible motives. And even if this "motive" turned out to be somewhat accurate, it doesn't mean a relative was behind it. I think I'm doing a disservice to my interest in this case if I don't bring this up.

Birmingham News:
January 20, 2000

A Killer still walks free
The murder of two teens in Ozark is a mystery that authorities have yet to
unravel
01/20/2000
ROBIN DeMONIA
News staff writer
OZARK — The call came just after 11:30 p.m., just after Tracie Hawlett's
curfew. The 17-year-old told her mother she had gotten lost and wound up in
Ozark. But she said she knew how to get home to Dothan, that she and friend
J.B. Beasley were on their way.
They never made it home.
Police found Miss Beasley's black Mazda 929 just before 8 a.m., less than a
mile from the pay phone Miss Hawlett had used the night before.

Six hours after finding the abandoned car, officers popped the trunk. The
missing girls were inside, each dead from a 9 mm shot to the head.
The grisly discovery Aug. 1 struck nerves in the Wiregrass and beyond. Parents
tightened the reins on their teenagers. Churches counseled their youth. Rival
high schools temporarily joined hands in tribute to the victims. Public and
private donors pooled $45,000 for a reward.
The crime seemed pointless and cruel even in a society dulled by violence. Miss
Hawlett was a majorette who wanted to be a doctor and missionary. Miss Beasley
was an aspiring and talented dancer. Both were beauty contest finalists.
The girls had no alcohol or drugs in them. And whoever killed the popular
Northview High School seniors didn't even bother to take their jewelry or cash.

It wasn't until months after the crime that forensics examiners found what
authorities now consider the key to the unsolved murders: semen on Miss
Beasley's clothes and skin.
"You have to assume it's a sex offense, or at least came out of a sex offense,"
said David Emery, the district attorney of Dale and Geneva counties. "If we
could find who donated that semen, I think we'll have the killer."
But in some ways, finding a possible motive only deepened the mystery. It freed
the one person who had been charged in the case, a man who claimed at various
points to know something about the crime or to have witnessed it. A grand jury
refused to indict Johnny Barrentine, 28, of Ozark on capital murder charges
earlier this month. DNA tests ruled him out as a source of the semen.
After 5 months of investigation, there are frustratingly few clues about what
happened that hot summer night. After pleas from Miss Hawlett's family, the
state is sending investigators to try to unravel the mystery.
"It seems like every time they get something, the bottom falls out," said Mike
Roberts, Miss Hawlett's stepfather, who has sometimes challenged Ozark police
and who went to Gov. Don Siegelman's office last week for help. "I'm not trying
to make anybody mad or cause anybody trouble. I'm trying to get something
done."
The unanswered questions have fueled rumor, speculation and fear. One theory
hangs the crime on a police officer or someone posing as an officer. Roberts
has raised the possibility himself, saying he believes the girls would not have
stopped for anything other than a blue light. In addition, Miss Beasley's
window was halfway down, he said, and he's been told her license was on the
car's console.
Efforts to reach Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey for the past week were
unsuccessful.
Ozark Mayor Bob Bunting said he's heard the questions about police, but it's
far from the only theory about a crime that was front-page news every day for
weeks in the town of 17,000.
"I've heard every rumor you can imagine," said Bunting, who understands why the
unsolved case draws speculation. "It makes you wonder. It was like an
execution. There's nothing clear-cut there. Every rock around here has been
looked under. It's just a mystery."
Bunting is one of countless military retirees in Ozark, which considers itself
home to nearby Fort Rucker. The town boasts of its Consumer Digest ranking as
one of the 25 best U.S. places to retire. It doesn't consider itself the kind
of town where teenage girls are abducted on the street.
Kathy Cook, who operates a beauty shop near where Miss Beasley's car was found,
said townspeople have groped for an explanation. "It's kind of a sleepy
one-horse town," she said. "It's just a real quiet community. The most
excitement we ever have is when there's a ball game."
She said she's always guessed the girls stumbled on something they weren't
supposed to see. "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time," she said.
Despite its brutal ending, the Saturday evening began on a festive note.
It was Miss Beasley's 17th birthday, and there was much to celebrate. She was
an up-and-coming high school senior. Her future was promising, even if her past
had not been trouble-free. Her relationship with her mother was admittedly
strained, and her dance instructor had become her legal guardian.
Even now, Cheryl Burgoon describes her daughter as rebellious and manipulative
- albeit very smart. But others considered her spirited, including her pastor,
Lawson Bryan of First United Methodist Church in Dothan, who called her an
"extremely vivacious, friendly, outgoing person."
Fellow dancer Janna Hare was hosting the birthday party at her home in rural
Henry County that night. Miss Hawlett finished her shift in the men's wear
department at J.C. Penney after 9 p.m., came home to change, and headed out
with Miss Beasley at just past 10, Roberts said.
The girls were spotted in Headland at about 10:30 p.m., but they never found
the party.
Instead, they ended up in Ozark, at a Big/Little convenience store next to a
railroad track and just down the street from a strip of stately, historic homes
near the town's central business district.
The store had closed for the evening when Miss Hawlett stopped to use the
phone. But the teenagers encountered two women who provided directions to U.S.
231, which would take them the 20 miles southeast to Dothan.
The women later told police the car was spotless, the girls were clean and
nothing seemed awry. Carol Roberts got the same impression while talking to her
daughter.
"Nothing was wrong in Tracie's voice," Mrs. Roberts said. "It was, 'Mom, I love
you. Be home soon.'"
Exhausted from a double shift as a nurse's aide at Wesley Manor nursing home,
Mrs. Roberts fell asleep after the call. When she awoke at 5 a.m., her daughter
had not returned.
By 8 a.m., she called Dothan police.
Officers find car
At about the same time, officers in Ozark found Miss Beasley's car parked along
a houseless stretch of a residential street. It was muddy and almost out of
gas, despite a fill-up the day before.
When the girls were discovered in the trunk, they were clothed and showed few
signs of struggle. Miss Hawlett's arm was scratched, her pants had briars, and
the $95 New Balance tennis shoes she had bought the week before were covered in
mud. First into the trunk, she had been shot once in the temple.
Miss Beasley was dirty, too, and also had been shot once, apparently in the
cheek, Roberts said. But everything else looked intact - her purse, her money,
her jewelry. Only her car keys were missing.
It's still anyone's guess what happened between the phone call and the girls'
discovery on Herring Avenue, a site now marked by crosses bearing their names.
It's not clear where or how they were joined by a killer, or what might have
happened from there.
The girls were shot inside the trunk, but not necessarily while the car was
parked on Herring Avenue. The car was spotted there as early as 3 a.m., but
preliminary autopsy results placed the girls' time of death at 12:30 a.m. to 2
a.m.
Miss Hawlett's family said they believe the killer may have taken the girls
somewhere before Herring Avenue. Other stops could explain why the car was
almost out of gas and how mud got on the victims during a summer dry spell,
they said.
Authorities are trying to test soil from the car's tires. They also have one
palm print from the trunk lid, Roberts said.
That same night, Johnny Barrentine came home shortly before 1 a.m., visibly
upset. He told his wife his car had been hit by a black truck with a Dothan tag
near Herring Avenue. In the days that followed, Barrentine confided to others
that he knew something about the deaths of the teenagers, according to his
lawyer and the victims' families, who watched his videotaped statement.
"He just said he thought he might know who did it," said Avalyn Murphy, whose
boyfriend, Leon Jordan, encouraged Barrentine to go to authorities and collect
the reward.
Barrentine, who worked unloading trucks, took the advice. He spoke with police
for four hours, offering six different stories and sometimes placing himself at
the scene of the crime.
At one point, he told police he was driving with his neighbor when they saw the
girls at the convenience store. He said the neighbor got into the girls' car.
Barrentine said he followed the car to Herring Avenue and gave his neighbor a
ride home after the killings.
Barrentine was charged with capital murder Sept. 1. But there were problems
with his account. He never mentioned sexual activity that would account for the
semen found on Miss Beasley. The neighbor he implicated had an alibi for the
evening and, like Barrentine, did not match the DNA samples.
Barrentine said he had been lying to collect reward money.
Daleville lawyer Joe Gallo said he doesn't believe police, who are under
intense pressure to solve the case, would drop charges against his client if
they believed he was remotely involved. Yet Gallo offered no explanation for
Barrentine's stories, except to say his client suffered mild mental
retardation.
"You've got me," he said.
Police have said Barrentine could be charged later if new evidence points to
him. Meanwhile, they are awaiting other reports from the state forensic labs.
For now, there are more questions than answers, questions that frighten some
teenagers and their parents even more.
"When it first happened, my mother didn't want me out at night," said Melanie
Ogden, a 17-year-old Carroll High School senior in Ozark. "She's kind of
loosened up about it now, but she's still not letting me stay out as late as
she did before."
Not forgotten
In a north Dothan community, the legacy is a grief too profound to die.
At Northview's football half time shows last fall, a vase of roses stood in the
place where Miss Hawlett would have twirled. A page in the football program was
dedicated to the memory of her and Miss Beasley. Friends and acquaintances have
not stopped sending letters, poems and tributes.
In private, two families are left to grapple with their loss.
"I'm so spent it takes all that I have just to be alive," Ms. Burgoon said.
"The pain is unbearable."
The Roberts family is determined to keep alive the memory of a girl who
finished each night with a devotional and who designed her senior class ring to
include a Bible and cross.
The walls are covered with her photographs and mementos, including a framed
Mother's Day card she made last spring for Mrs. Roberts.
Holidays are especially hard. Miss Hawlett's senior portraits, taken the week
before her death, arrived the week before Christmas. So did the footstone for
her grave.
But Mrs. Roberts' biggest torment is the thought of her daughter suffering or
being afraid before her death.
"At some point, those girls had to know what was about to happen. Can you
imagine how horrified they must have been?" Mrs. Roberts asked. "I still wake
up at night and I see Tracie running and I hear her screaming and I hear her
saying, 'Please, God, help me."
Mrs. Roberts remains composed until she speaks of the things her daughter will
never get to experience: her dreams of marriage and children, the senior year
she so anticipated, even the graduation ceremony she won't attend.
"At church, they said she won't have a cap and gown, but she'll have a crown, a
halo," Mrs. Roberts said, breaking into tears. She doesn't apologize for her
pain. "Instead of breaking my heart, it's like someone reached in and ripped it
out," she said.

^^ still on a phone, but copied the article over.

There are quotes from friends and family about both girls. It sounds like their personalities were pretty different from each other which I have suspected all along.

So, during her phone call, maybe Tracie thought they weren't going anywhere but home even as J.B. was thinking up places to go. This is not a criticism. It's just there are a lot of teens like this. So, wherever it was, she surely didn't think anything bad would happen. Maybe whom or what she expected to be there was very different than what was there?

Thanks December, that's a good article with a lot of info and I've seen it and posted links to it before. I still don't know if we can say that the 3AM sighting is legit since its the only outlet reporting it and I cant think of a reason for LE to withhold info on that sighting if it did happen. There's also this quote below from the wiregrass chronology of events from a couple days after that Birmingham article came out with Mr. Roberts saying he was misquoted in the article. Unless we can get some further confirmation on it I'm hesitant to run with it.

January 23, 2000
Mike Roberts Says He Was Misquoted in News Article.

Tracie Hawlett's step-father says that a news article by The Birmingham News misquoted him on several comments attributed to him. He also said that the newspaper told him that the news article was going to focus on the lives of his daughter and J.B. Beasley, who were both found murdered found murdered on Aug. 1, 1999.

The Birmingham News is reportedly standing behind it's article and they don't plan on retracting anything that was published in the article. It isn't exactly clear as to which parts of the article Robert's is referring to as being inaccurate. He did say that some of the comments that were included in the article were of rumors he had heard or that he was assured that the comment he was making at the time would be off the record.

LR1, I guess we just have to go with the car was found on August 1 sometime in the morning. IDK. I have seen this somewhere recently but can't find it.

Edited: He's probably talking about the direct quote from him where it talks about the governor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member