AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would mention this...Yesterday March 3, 2017 would have been Tracie's 35th birthday. I chatted online with her mother and she told me that March 3 is a very difficult day for her and her family. I respectfully ask that all of you that are praying people to remember that family in your prayers.

I'm a lapsed Catholic so i cannot pray... but i send thoughts and love.

In the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, supposedly it takes 33 minutes to get from Ozark to Dothan, AL, the route they would have taken back home the night of July 31, 1999. Somewhere along the way something happened and they never made it. According to J.B.'s sister, the phone call Tracie made to her mom was placed at 11:35pm. So in order to get home by a little after midnight they had no time to stop or go anywhere else, that is if you take Tracie's phone call to her mother as being the truth: They were lost and would be home soon. I take the phone call as truth. They were headed home. I know there is debate over this.

This case is unique in that I do not read about a lot of kidnapping murder cases where the kidnapper takes the victims in their own car. When they do it is usually because the victim is outside the vehicle first. The reasoning in my opinion is that I think a kidnapper would want to know WHO(male or female, young or old) they are kidnapping. A dark car at night does not help in that regard. So the Haunting Evidence scenario that says he saw them and decided that was them and then followed them has a huge problem. It assumes the kidnapper has a vehicle. It also follows that the car would have to stop again BEFORE getting home since the next stop would have been home(if they knew were they were going once they got directions).

There could be one other idea about what might have happened. Maybe the car a Mazda 929 broke down? If a car does not have much gas in it that could cause fuel pump failure if they stopped somewhere else. I read this but do not know how true it is.

According to J.B.'s sister, the directions they were given told them to go 6 stoplights to get to 231 which was one too many. But still J.B. would have noticed landmarks at the corner of 231 and turned appropriately at that spot. So maybe they took the 123 spur through town instead to save some time? So checking all gas stations or abandoned gas stations or repair places along the 123 spur or along 231 to the 123 spur would probably be important.

Because it was night, I tend to think this case involves some type of spatial disorientation when they were driving. No matter what actually happened or where they went the car would have to stop in order for this kidnapper/killer to abduct them. The water, briars, and mud on their clothes makes me think they were not assaulted at the house or property of someone they knew. Why would he march them outside to go through weeds and water that you would assume he would also have to cross through? Why would he take them anywhere at all if the privacy of his own house is right there?

I also think that the crime requires light, whether it be large overhead lights or lights from a car in order for their killer to see them while committing the assault. So one question that I would ask is if the baseball field lights near Herring Ave stayed on at night? At 11:30, 12 at night what places in town are lit up with light? If the car's lights were used and their pants are wet, there is a possibility the road itself is near water where they were taken. So I personally would narrow down my search of places to roads that are close to water and by that I mean close enough for a large light to illuminate the river or pond or close enough for the headlights of the car to illuminate the river or pond. I think this because even if the murderer marches them to a particular place he would still have to direct them how to get back to the car. I am not a hiker so maybe someone could debate this, but I am guessing it would be kind of difficult to find the way the farther you get from the car.

My profile of the killer would be someone who is familiar with guns and lives alone. I think the killer is some type of hunter and would probably have a hunting license. If he is familiar with rivers and ponds in the area he might be a fisherman. I read online that hunting licenses in Alabama expire August 31st each year. So maybe the individual did not renew their license?

All of this stuff is guesses. The actual evidence in the case is what matters.

I wonder whether a horticulturist or gardener has ever been consulted on this case? The reason is that I remember seeing a murder case on tv about a man who killed his wife and dumped her body. Police had nothing but weeds that had gotten tangled in the undercarriage of the car. An observant detective collected some of the weeds. Through some sort of genetic identification they were able to place the husbands car at the scene of where his wife's body was found by connecting weeds at the scene to the weeds found on his car and he was convicted of murder.

According to what I read briars are difficult to get rid of without digging up the roots. Where briars grow they continue to grow. So even if the murderer left Ozark, AL the plant material found on J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's pants legs might still connect the crime to a certain place or property. In my opinion, I think the place where they got their pants wet and briars attached holds the key to solving the crime. If this case does get solved, I think it will be something simple that ends up solving it.

There was one last thing regarding this case. With the emphasis on light and being able to see and the murderer dropping a bullet in the car's trunk according to J.B.'s sister, it made me wonder something else. Despite as unbelievable as it might seem, maybe this person has trouble with their eyes. Obviously the murderer is not a blind man, but maybe someone with a driving restriction. This again would lead to the idea that whoever it was probably lives or lived close to where J.B. Beasley's car was found on Herring Ave.

In case anyone is interested, JB's and Tracie's case is featured on the podcast "Pajama Crimes" episode 7, April 23, 2017. The discussion of the case begins about 1/2 way through the podcast. Most of it is a recap of Dime Detective's initial post, but I found the commentary interesting.

Has been awhile since Dime Detective has come on the thread.

TY for the podcast info Bulldog23

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mentioned how "they clearly liked to party"? What do you base that on?

They drove out of state for spring break. I did the cliche spring break trip in college and there's a sea of girls just like those two....and they're there to party. Its the only purpose of taking the trip.

Its not "oversexing" the case.

Ms. Merritt (the kind lady that gave J.B. directions at the Big/Little Store).

Now that is unfortunate.

The HCR indicated the girls had tapes that could embarrass some important people.

While I'm no expert on the case, I don't believe any of that. Its not a conspiracy. They were two girls out looking for a good time and hooked up with the wrong people.

IMO that conspiracy stuff does a huge disservice to this case.

While I haven't read the discussion mentioned, I would take that info with a grain of salt as well. Killers blogging about their crimes is usually some loser seeking attention.

according to JB's sister, they had already run into 2 guys with their shirts off who began following them and pinned them in, in a threatening way.

How did she find that out?

They drove out of state for spring break. I did the cliche spring break trip in college and there's a sea of girls just like those two....and they're there to party. Its the only purpose of taking the trip.

Now that is unfortunate.

While I'm no expert on the case, I don't believe any of that. Its not a conspiracy. They were two girls out looking for a good time and hooked up with the wrong people.

IMO that conspiracy stuff does a huge disservice to this case.

While I haven't read the discussion mentioned, I would take that info with a grain of salt as well. Killers blogging about their crimes is usually some loser seeking attention.

How did she find that out?

They were in high school and not college. And no, everyone does not party and booze it up. Some people-even high schoolers behave themselves. Besides, they were not on Spring Break that night. What they may or may not have done on Spring Break and what they did on the last night of their lives is not necessarily the same thing. Also, the autopsies revealed that neither girl had any drugs or alcohol in their sustems.

[BWhile I'm no expert on the case, I don't believe any of that. Its not a conspiracy. They were two girls out looking for a good time and hooked up with the wrong people.][/B]...Not many people believe the info in the HCR or that there was any huge drug-running scheme being run by the police. However, some are suspicious of a certain individual that set up cameras in his home that the girls went to that night. This ws verified by the private investigator that was hired by one of the families.

If you are interested in how J.B.'s sister came by her knowledge, perhaps you could message her and ask. She is a member of Webleuths.

There are so many scenarios I could come up with as to what happened to J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett that night. I will never have as much knowledge as their family as to how they would think. But I think you have to look at the case from a common sense perspective. What type of person kidnapped them?

1. The Haunting Evidence scenario-- It is unlikely for the reason that the individual would have to leave their car on the side of a main road if they were not lost.

2. The walker-- What type of person is walking around Ozark, AL at 11:30 12 at night? It supposes they stopped somewhere else before heading home or they picked up a hitchhiker.

3. Someone's residence--In my opinion, the most likely scenario if they unwillingly trespassed and the person took advantage of that situation. But police would have checked out paranoid neighbors who filed police reports back in 1999 or asked fence companies about fences they installed. I still think this scenario holds the most common sense although until it can be figured out whether they were lost or not, it will always be hard to say where this place is.

I think it is something simple that will solve this murder case. Sometimes it just takes the right person to notice the right clue that ends up solving a case.

I'm convinced that someone knows something. It always seems the case in these small town murders that people know something but don't come forward for whatever reason. What this case needs, in my opinion, is the pressure of having it seriously looked into.

I really hope it gets the full podcast treatment...it certainly has enough twists and turns to make a season, and it's got a cooperative family member as well.

I'm convinced that someone knows something. It always seems the case in these small town murders that people know something but don't come forward for whatever reason. What this case needs, in my opinion, is the pressure of having it seriously looked into.

I really hope it gets the full podcast treatment...it certainly has enough twists and turns to make a season, and it's got a cooperative family member as well.

I hope the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett gets the attention it deserves as well. Unlike some other cases, I think this one has a better chance of being solved.

I do not know if I am as convinced that there are individuals in Ozark, AL that know something and have kept quiet for 18 years. This person who murdered them could simply be a loner who is out on Saturday night and in church on Sunday morning and no one is the wiser. Or maybe it is the guy they arrested at the beginning although his DNA did not match.

There is a lot of debate even about whether or not they were actually lost or whether they headed to someone else's house after Tracie made the phone call at the gas station in Ozark, AL.

Also when you are dealing with a case that is almost 18 years old, you have to ask yourself what is different today than in July 1999? If they truly were lost before they got to that gas station in Ozark, AL, their sense of direction must have really been off. I have heard that their party destination was either Haleburg or Midland City, but they did not come close to either of those places while driving. Then you have the road signs like AL 27 (Broad St) that tell them they are going south when they leave the gas station, but this is only the overall direction of the route, not the actual physical direction they would have been heading to get to 231 (which was west on Broad AL 27). I just think it had to be kind of confusing and I could see a 17 year old girl getting flustered by it, especially at night when noticing landmarks is a lot more difficult if they are not lit up.

As for what happened the night of July 31, 1999 is anyone's guess. I can make guesses about how they got lost, but they are just guesses. And maybe they were not even lost.

What would be your Top 3 podcasts to cover this case?

My Top 3 would be:
1) Up and Vanished - fits with what Payne has already done geographically and topic wise; I think Payne has already picked the case for his 2nd season
2) Accused - Amber Hunt with the Cincinnati Enquirer; this may be out of her scope geographically
3) In the Dark - APM Reports; a cold case may not be in their scope topic wise

Supposedly J.B. Beasley's car was already dirty before her and Tracie Hawlett got to Ozark, AL the night of July 31, 1999. I know it was late at night before they started to head home, but maybe they stopped at a car wash?

According to Ms. Merritt, the woman J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett asked for directions at the gas station in Ozark, AL, the girl's car was spotless. I thought I read that a police officer who had seen the girl's car earlier in the night said the Mazda 929 was already dirty. So who to believe? Like so many cases, when the information is contradictory it is hard to come to any conclusions.

I think sometimes with a case like this you really just have to forget all the speculative questions and focus on one specific question. It has been determined based on the blood movement in the trunk that the killer drove the girls vehicle and you can also conclude that based on the car keys missing. In my opinion, the specific question is this:

If someone commits a murder where they leave the bodies in the trunk of the car and drive it to a specific place where they know it will be found, how far away do they drive the car from where they live? Or from where they kidnapped the girls?

Once that question is figured out, while it does not solve the case, it certainly will help narrow down where the crime occurred that night.

And last, how far do they walk with wet or muddy shoes and socks and possible briars on their pants?

According to Ms. Merritt, the woman J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett asked for directions at the gas station in Ozark, AL, the girl's car was spotless. I thought I read that a police officer who had seen the girl's car earlier in the night said the Mazda 929 was already dirty. So who to believe? Like so many cases, when the information is contradictory it is hard to come to any conclusions.

I think sometimes with a case like this you really just have to forget all the speculative questions and focus on one specific question. It has been determined based on the blood movement in the trunk that the killer drove the girls vehicle and you can also conclude that based on the car keys missing. In my opinion, the specific question is this:

If someone commits a murder where they leave the bodies in the trunk of the car and drive it to a specific place where they know it will be found, how far away do they drive the car from where they live? Or from where they kidnapped the girls?

Once that question is figured out, while it does not solve the case, it certainly will help narrow down where the crime occurred that night.

And last, how far do they walk with wet or muddy shoes and socks and possible briars on their pants?

I believe the definition of "spotless" can vary from person. To some, spotless means just that-spotless. To others it may mean not overly dirty. Plus, when Ms. Merritt saw the car it was dark and only the lights from the store enabled her to see it. She may not have been able to tell how dirty the car really was.

The killer (or killers) probably drove it to a location near where he lived, may have had his own car parked or where he planned to spend the night. Also, the location on Herring Ave. was secluded. They could have easily parked there with no other vehicles in sight and made their getaway.

He/they probably could walk a decent distance. Remember, they had just murdered two people. The wet, muddy clothes and the briars were the least of their worries.

My feelings are and always have been that it was not the killer(s) who parked the car there.

My feelings are and always have been that it was not the killer(s) who parked the car there.

It wouldn't surprise me if it weren't Johnny Barrentine who parked the car while the murder(s) headed in a different direction. I have always believed that he saw/knew something, or got himself inadvertently involved.

It wouldn't surprise me if it weren't Johnny Barrentine who parked the car while the murder(s) headed in a different direction. I have always believed that he saw/knew something, or got himself inadvertently involved.

Believe he knew something too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we are all on the same page with Johnny. If I remember correctly, he caught a couple of assault charges from striking his wife and his sister. I wonder if anyone in LE has spoken with Mrs. Barrentine since his death. She might be willing to say more with him dead than she was when he was alive. I still think it was someone with a personal motive, who was also connected to Johnny in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413