AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At least 89 gunshots were fired from seven different weapons inside the 988-square foot, Dadeville dance studio, where at least 50 young people were gathered for a Sweet 16 birthday party that turned deadly on April 15, an investigator for the State Bureau of Investigations testified on Tuesday, according to multiple media reports.

The hearing for Johnny Letron Brown, 20, of Tuskegee; Willie George Brown Jr., 19, of Auburn; and LaMar Hill Jr., 20, of Auburn was open to the media and public. A separate hearing for brothers Tyreese McCullough, 17, and Travis McCullough, 16, of Tuskegee, was closed to the public because they are juveniles. An unidentified 15-year-old has also been arrested for the shootings and is being held in a juvenile facility. Tuesday’s hearing was the first in the case.

According to Thornton’s testimony, multiple party-goers, including at least two victims, had handguns; many of those guns had been modified to make them fire automatically; at one point prior to the shooting, several party-goers raised their shirts to reveal they were carrying weapons; and at least two of the suspects have been tied to other shootings, according to NBC News.

Thornton testified that a gun was found on the chest of Corbin Holston, who died from injuries sustained during the shooting. Thornton said witnesses said that Holston began the shooting and was wearing a ski mask at one point during the party. Thornton also suggested that the handgun on Holston’s chest could have been planted.

The suspects, who all allegedly knew each other and planned together to attend the party, were in the back of the dimly-lit dance studio, which was essentially a large room with only one exit at the front, when the shooting started.

Has anyone seen specifics about the shooting Brown was linked to in Auburn? I think the article said it was the same night. The thought of them all meeting up at the Tallassee football parking lot literally makes me cringe. I've driven past there countless times. And I'm still extremely upset that the press conference stated no public threat. LE owes the public an explanation for that lie! None of the suspects were hospitalized like I thought earlier

For Martin Collins, the father of 19-year-old Marsiah, the massacre has led to profound questions over America’s relationship with guns. Since the death of his son, Collins has been living in “a fog” of shock, anger and sorrow, he told the Guardian in an interview last month, reflecting on the future Marsiah will never have, the cruelty of US mass shootings and the nation’s abject failure to protect its children.
Marsiah Collins and his sister.

Marsiah Collins and his sister. Photograph: Courtesy of Martin Collins
“There is a sickness in this country,” the 40-year-old said from his home in Baton Rouge. “I couldn’t have asked for a better, more phenomenal son … and now I have to talk about him in the past tense. It doesn’t make sense.”

The massacre in Dadeville was one of 268 mass shootings in 2023 in the US through the end of May, more than one a day, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which tracksincidents in which four or more people are shot or killed. The gun death toll in that period includes 760 children and teenagers, with another 1,901 youth injured.

The frequency of massacres in the US this year has meant that headlines fade even as the names of the deceased are still being released. But to Collins, it seems the lack of widespread outrage and attention on Dadeville was also due to the fact that all the victims were Black, in a country that has long normalized the loss of young Black lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back