Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA so I am wondering why then so many believe it was the temptation of a recovering heroin addict that prevailed in this case over the temptation of a rapist?
Why then have I learned everything I thought I could possibly ever want to know about heroin users, dealers, and donators in this case and very little about the actions, crimes, and laws pertaining to a rapist?

Speaking only for myself, I think PH's history of addiction increased the chances she could be familiar with a whole circle of people that were unknown to her family, friends and co-workers. My theory (conjecture only!) is that she went to TRB & bumped into 1 or 2 "HSBM" with whom she was familiar from her past. For whatever reason, she decided to go somewhere else with them, and either THEY either arranged for FH to come along/meet up, or he joined/caught up with them on his own. In that case, I'd consider her death "drug related" but not necessary in connection with a relapse. MOO.

Truth is, we actually don't know if she knew him previously or not. It's entirely possible she did actually know him, or know of him. Entirely possible he was a friend of a friend, or a relative of a friend, or some other casual acquaintance. I think we all have people like this in our lives that we know, or know of, but that really aren't in our comfortable circle of people we'd immediately name if asked about the people we know. I just can't write off the idea that she knew him from somewhere, until LE comes out and says they had no prior contact or knowledge of each other, before that night.
Now that would surprise me.

ITA so I am wondering why then so many believe it was the temptation of a recovering heroin addict that prevailed in this case over the temptation of a rapist?
Why then have I learned everything I thought I could possibly ever want to know about heroin users, dealers, and donators in this case and very little about the actions, crimes, and laws pertaining to a rapist?
He was convicted almost 30 years ago. He has not had any charges since his release in 2012. I am doubtful that makes him a model citizen but it is hard to say he was actively raping women.

As a victim of a similar scenario to his initial charges (minus being held at gunpoint), I may have a different perspective. In my case, the "perps" were 4 athletes I went to HS with and ran into at the bar in our 20s. I had never heard of them doing this prior, I did not press charges though and imagine others may not have either, and all currently live seemingly productive lives. I can't speak to their rehabilitation but I do think with age and circumstances, things can change. I am not convinced that is true for FH.

Heroin is very addictive and fighting a relapse is a daily battle. ETA: Considering her history along with the autopsy showing no sign of physical injury, LE indicating no force, and it still being labeled a death investigation is what tips me more toward heroin. Moo

Last edited:
People tend to take the obvious answer and run with it. PH had an addiction problem a few years back, its an easy explanation as to how she ended up with FH. However, nobody stops and considers the people she was with, and the drug problems they may have had, or still do have. People also don't stop and consider other motives like relationship issues, or business issues. I don't think many realize exactly how complicated this case might actually be.

People tend to take the obvious answer and run with it. PH had an addiction problem a few years back, its an easy explanation as to how she ended up with FH. However, nobody stops and considers the people she was with, and the drug problems they may have had, or still do have. People also don't stop and consider other motives like relationship issues, or business issues. I don't think many realize exactly how complicated this case might actually be.
I think it is safe to say people consider all of that. But, with the information we have, the simplest theory seems most probable. That can always change as new info is released. So far, LE is not publicly hinting at any of those other angles and are trying to apprehend one person. moo

And, if she was interested, do you think she would be looking at a man in hi early 50s? Not likely.
SBM I think it is problematic to assume people wouldn't be interested in someone solely due to their age--or even their appearance. Just because other people find someone's appeal mystifying doesn't make it a universal rule that nobody would find that person attractive/interesting. That's assuming logic plays a role in attraction and that what attracts everyone is the same--and neither of those are true.

Not saying PH did find him attractive, but if she did, I don't think that's impossible to believe just because he was 20-ish years older than her.

SBM I think it is problematic to assume people wouldn't be interested in someone solely due to their age--or even their appearance. Just because other people find someone's appeal mystifying doesn't make it a universal rule that nobody would find that person attractive/interesting. That's assuming logic plays a role in attraction and that what attracts everyone is the same--and neither of those are true.

Not saying PH did find him attractive, but if she did, I don't think that's impossible to believe just because he was 20-ish years older than her.
As with most things, anything is possible. But, when speaking logically, you have to ask "what are the odds?" I would say that FH could go to that bar a hundred times and NEVER take home a beautiful 30 year old woman. What are the odds he did it that particular night? Slim to none IMO.

I might add that the elephant in the room that people are dancing around is the white girl, black felon aspect People keep repeating why PH would be in the company of "such a man."
SBM

This has stood out to me too. I think a lot of people are projecting their own tastes/preferences/biases.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

There are numerous, long time members of this forum that "take the time to gather information", we just don't repeatedly violate the rules here and post it. Because... we appreciate the tight ship here, and keeping the rumor OFF the forum. I can't begin to tell you how many cases I've watched on FB, where the truth was about as rare as a 3 dollar bill. Oh everyone was posting "their truth" but at the end of the case, most of what SO many people were saying was complete baloney.

Are "key players" posting on social media? Yes... yes they are. Are their posts and their information allowed here? Nope, all day long, the answer is still no. If that makes it hard to have a "meaningful conversation" here, then that's just the way the pickle squirts. The alternative turns WS into the nasty, rumor filled, NOT victim-friendly trashy crime forums already in existence. No thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

While I don't necessarily believe it's possible to rehabilitate a rapist, I believe that a rapist can resist temptation a lot easier than a recovering heroin addict can, because of what I know about heroin use.

Also, if FH had reoffended in the past, I assume we'd know by his criminal record, because I assume he'd be watched to a greater extent by LE than someone who had never spent 20 years in prison for rape. I haven't seen his criminal record since he got out of prison. I've seen allusions to it; I haven't seen it. Can we see and discuss it? If not, that's probably a large portion of why people aren't discussing stats of rapists who reoffend.

#2, most adults at this point have heard chapter and verse about people "chasing their first heroin high". I think heroin is far more addictive than the commission of sexual assault. Happy to be proven wrong as I admit I don't know much about the biochemical or brain patterns of compulsive rapists; but that's what I know. Rafts of stories of people saying basic versions on this theme: "How did I become addicted to heroin? I tried it."

My two cents only. JMO, MOO.

How long was PH an addict? I must have missed that.

There are plenty of sober folks that were addicted to many different substances that don't have a daily battle to stay clean. There are plenty of sober people for whom it is a daily battle- plenty of dry druggies and drunks who haven't left their past behind. The physical cravings subside. Similar to folks who go back to their abuser. All about mindset. Not seeing a "daily battle" here.

How long was PH an addict? I must have missed that.
Don't know how long, but that was posted way back when. Treatment facility...yada, yada, yada...she was spokesperson/testimonial....yada, yada, yada. Once an addict...you can mark that one down as fact. Relapsed? That's the part we don't know for certain through MSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member