Alcala and His Crimes

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is nothing sinister about the headphones. In the late 60s it was cool to have an expensive component stereo and listen with headphones to best capture the quality of the sound. Particularly if you were stoned.

They also allowed you to turn the volume way up without disturbing the neighbors.

There is nothing sinister about the headphones. In the late 60s it was cool to have an expensive component stereo and listen with headphones to best capture the quality of the sound. Particularly if you were stoned.

I agree. I was a kid in the seventies and my father had headphones fairly similar to that. They were a standard sort of thing for the era. Getting good sound reproduction at higher volume was difficult, and really expensive at the time, the price of speakers very quickly went from expensive to prohibitive as you tried for better sound.

BL, after seeing all the different locations of people he was related to and then after the astounding new time line do ya see what I meant? Like he went on vacation? I noted how some of them were fairly close in proximity to those links.

The burning question I have that probably could never be answered is "What and if the whole thing about putting things on women's heads is about". Was the earphones to pump in torture music? The women don't look tortured when they have them on. However why isn't it open for everyone to hear? He's cutting off a sense. JMO.

Then the helmet. Then the beautiful cool eye makeup girl in the plaid hat.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh and now we know he exposed himself to his SISTER. Hello! Ya have to wonder did she tell? Who did she tell? Did anyone figure this dude got a major problem? Exposing yourself to your own da*n sister. Nothing right about that.

respectfully bbm

Yep, was soooo surprised to see this in LE's time line. The only way I can see this could have gotten there is either he (Alcala) said it (doubtful). Or for some reason it was actually "reported" to LE at the time by his sister or mother. That is what I think happened, I think it was actually the family "calling out for help" if you will, but of course, it wasn't enough for LE to actually DO anything about, but that really made me wonder about RA's service in the military AWOL all those times and what was going on with RA when he was got out of the service. Which brings me to another question I've had all along, I think possibly RA had/has whatever, serious sexual identity problems. Gay? not Gay? etc. and perhaps the military brought that to a head? and it seem to me, just from the fact that we don't hear much about girl friends or marriage or anything like that, they maybe he has those kind of issues? Don't know if it matters much, but I just wonder if suppressed hidden issues like that caused his horrible violence towards women??

[/b]

respectfully bbm

Yep, was soooo surprised to see this in LE's time line. The only way I can see this could have gotten there is either he (Alcala) said it (doubtful). Or for some reason it was actually "reported" to LE at the time by his sister or mother. That is what I think happened, I think it was actually the family "calling out for help" if you will, but of course, it wasn't enough for LE to actually DO anything about, but that really made me wonder about RA's service in the military AWOL all those times and what was going on with RA when he was got out of the service. Which brings me to another question I've had all along, I think possibly RA had/has whatever, serious sexual identity problems. Gay? not Gay? etc. and perhaps the military brought that to a head? and it seem to me, just from the fact that we don't hear much about girl friends or marriage or anything like that, they maybe he has those kind of issues? Don't know if it matters much, but I just wonder if suppressed hidden issues like that caused his horrible violence towards women??

Good call BillyLee.

Just reading the thread about all the photographs and someone mentioned he had sex with the young boys he photographed. Remember we also learned from his old neighbor he showed her pictures of naked young boys? Why would he be doing that? For the sake of art?

Also, in the latest New York Times about Judy Cole the woman who is now a wine critic I think Feiring is her name? She was only 15 years old. FIFTEEN and he got her up to his apartment and locked her in. Thankfully she escaped. How many of these poor women and boys even got locked in somewhere?

Definately deviant. Sexual ID problems. Only the good Lord knows how a mind like that works.

The pictures depict hard-core *advertiser censored* and sex acts, many of them including Alcala himself, and some with young boys.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article...lcala/19395704

I did a double take when I first read this quote since sex with young boys was a new revelation. When I looked it up, it doesn't actually say that. The comma makes the difference. To me it reads pictures of Alcala in sex acts, and pictures of young boys. Which is not to say he didn't have homosexual interests, since there were a lot of pictures of young boys.

I'm posting this here because it doesn't fit into any of the threads for specific photos, but something just hit me. If he actually killed anyone in his own NYC apartment, what did he do with the body if he had no car at the time?

I assume he didn't have a car that early if the Datsun was a '74 or later and we think he lived in the apartment prior to his arrest and imprisonment.

I'm posting this here because it doesn't fit into any of the threads for specific photos, but something just hit me. If he actually killed anyone in his own NYC apartment, what did he do with the body if he had no car at the time?

I assume he didn't have a car that early if the Datsun was a '74 or later and we think he lived in the apartment prior to his arrest and imprisonment.

Hmmmmm. Good thinking, Tater.

That wine critic woman claimed when she was 15 he locked her inside that place, but she escaped.

Car or no car how would he get a body out without anyone noticing? Does this lean back again to an accomplice? Also, he took that woman Joyce up on a roof. How would you murder someone and get them off a roof?

Then again just knowing how slick and brazen Ted Bundy was in plain sight of people anything is possible.

The first thread I ever posted on WS was regarding Joanne Dunham, a 15-year-old New Hampshire girl who disappeared from Charlestown in June of 1968 and was later found dead in Unity. She had been raped and strangled.

All of the timelines I've read place Rodney Alcala not only on the east coast at this time, but working at a performing arts camp on Lake Sunapee, smack dab in the middle, right between where Dunham was last seen and where her body was found. Does anyone know whether Alcala has ever been questioned in connection with this murder? He seems, to me at least, to be the most likely suspect.

Here's my original thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?251429-NH-Joanne-Dunham-15-Charlestown-11-June-1968

Hi all from England. This is my first post - I joined because I recently ran across a video of the Alcala pictures. It bothered me, and I wanted to know what happened to those people. Despite the disturbing nature of the photos, I suspect most of them came away alive, if not completely unharmed. The people photographed in his apartment probably did since, as someone said, he didn't have a car to dispose of them, people tend to notice bodies being lugged around in communal areas, and Alcala was not stupid. The crimes we know of were committed in secluded places and other people's apartments, which makes the girls in the crash helmet, the bodybuilder pose and the yellow floral bikini some of the more worrying pictures.

I'll be adding any comments I have to the relevant threads.

In this article it says Hoover was fair haired. Does any one know what her actual hair colour was as the only photos I have seen is she is dark.
I wanted a thread to discuss the circumstances surrounding the crimes that Alcala committed and ones he is suspected of committing (i.e. Ellen Jane Hover July 15, 1977). I thought it was important to learn more about the way he might have "operated."

In an article in the Reading Eagle dated July 31, 1977, it talks about how Ellen's stepfather had out up about 3,000 posters in the area Ellen lived (Third Avenue & 44th Street) asking for information.

More at link:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=1sktAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zaAFAAAAIBAJ&dq=ellen hover&pg=5619,5108446

The article below dated August 15, 1977 notes that police believe that a photographer with a pony tail - a John Burgh or John Burger may know something about her disappearance. The article also states that it is believed that Ellen met him at the unemployment office.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=DR4TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=760DAAAAIBAJ&dq=ellen hover&pg=6262,1873944

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back