Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience as a nurse in Critical Care ...administering dangerous Cardiac drugs during a Code Blue situation, EVERY med I gave was given with a two-fold safety check. The drugs could have been mixed up, or given in a wrong order....but over the years it was made MANDATORY to double check. If I was handed a medication to IV Push....I needed to see ( VERIFY) that it was the correct drug to give.

These measures were put in place for SAFETY for the patients as well as the staff.

To this tragic story? Where were the safety measures?
Guns are dangerous! They can be deadly, as proven. Was Safety a non-issue for those in charge?

Yes, they should have been using a dummy load or was the technology not as good then? Now a puff of smoke if needed and a loud bang can be put into the picture. I do know in the past a realistic gun shot was hard to animate. Perhaps the "Rust" production wanted to go back to the glory days of Westerns? moo
I don't know what the situation was at the time The Crow was filmed, but you can look at Brandon's wiki page and learn the special effects crew improperly modified the bullets. It was a series of unfortunate errors that led to his death.

Given the publication of the fact the union crew departed the set of Rust, one wonders if there was an inexperienced armorer on the set. Loading and unloading a gun-and ensuring a firearm is unloaded, is very simple.

I think several people in the cast and crew are going to have a lot of trouble because of this incident.

It only takes a few hours to learn how to safely handle a gun. If any actor is going to be using a gun, they should be required to take a safety course. Not only for other people's safety, but for their own peace of mind. I would think killing someone would be extremely traumatic for the vast majority of people moo
Or better yet, why can’t they just use fake guns? Movie magic these days can make it look 100% real and sound can be added and be just as real sounding. I get that actors’ reactions are probably better with a real, fired gun, but then they just need to get better actors. Movies are PRETEND, and real weapons do not need to be used. MOO

Or better yet, why can’t they just use fake guns? Movie magic these days can make it look 100% real and sound can be added and be just as real sounding. I get that actors’ reactions are probably better with a real, fired gun, but then they just need to get better actors. Movies are PRETEND, and real weapons do not need to be used. MOO
Movie magic doesn't look 100% real. Maybe 75% real. And the sound is almost never accurate. MOO

I don't know what the situation was at the time The Crow was filmed, but you can look at Brandon's wiki page and learn the special effects crew improperly modified the bullets. It was a series of unfortunate errors that led to his death.

Given the publication of the fact the union crew departed the set of Rust, one wonders if there was an inexperienced armorer on the set. Loading and unloading a gun-and ensuring a firearm is unloaded, is very simple.

I think several people in the cast and crew are going to have a lot of trouble because of this incident.
It will be interesting to learn what exactly happened here and who exactly did not do their job. I bet it trickles down from budget issues, corner cutting at the top to chaos on a set where crew had walked off due to safety concerns.

This is the Actor's Equity safety requirements for using firearms. It's really comprehensive and does state that everyone touching the gun knows how to safely handle it. So we know some entertainment providers take safety seriously. I wish Hollywood and private productions would use this.
Safety Tips for Use of Firearms · Actors' Equity Association

Last edited:
Chaos and guns = deadly mixture :(

Add "idiots". Great plan.

Well, the families of the victims are going to have one heck of a civil lawsuit.

I really don't know why basic gun safety is not taught to everyone. It should be a definite requirement for anyone on a job site who is handling a gun. As posts above have stated.

Never aim a gun at anyone.
Always assume a gun is loaded. Verify, and double check. If you don't feel comfortable about it, ask someone who does know guns. Basic gun safety, is to always check the gun to ensure it is not loaded. That includes clearing the chamber.

Snipped
In the days before the tragedy, IATSE had been threatening a large-scale strike that would have crippled Hollywood production. Among the complaints were overworking staff and poor rates. Baldwin recorded a video of himself encouraging the union members to strike if they felt they needed to, saying studio bosses ‘don’t give a **** about you’, that the union shared online.

Production crew walked off Alec Baldwin movie set hours before tragic shooting | Daily Mail Online

I don't understand why they continued filming if their staff left.

At the below link is a picture of a set. They are very dangerous places. They can be very fast paced and chaotic. There is always a budget issue. It doesn't take much for something to go wrong.

We most likely never hear about most of the accidents that happen.

People walking off sets is common. You get a producer or director that has a vision of what their film will be, and sometimes the demands on the staff are outrageous.

How are Film Sets Constructed? – Film Daily

And IMO it is still premature to say he was at fault here. The gun is not even the Actors responsibility.
I imagine pointing a firearm at a person and pulling the trigger while NOT filming will be considered negligent at the very least! If that indeed is what actually happened (as being reported).

Snipped
In the days before the tragedy, IATSE had been threatening a large-scale strike that would have crippled Hollywood production. Among the complaints were overworking staff and poor rates. Baldwin recorded a video of himself encouraging the union members to strike if they felt they needed to, saying studio bosses ‘don’t give a about you’, that the union shared online.

Production crew walked off Alec Baldwin movie set hours before tragic shooting | Daily Mail Online
If they were not so cheap, they would have invested in some "dummy rounds" which are inert which means no primer or powder. They are easily recognized due to the lack of a primer in the base. There is no excuse for them to use live rounds.

9mm-Round-Nose-600x480.jpg

I agree.

How do live rounds get into a weapon on a film set that is using only blanks?
Good question. I can think of two reasons:

A. As a poster on another forum mentioned, they wanted to film an ultra realistic scene were live ammunition was shown, but of course not fired. The live magazines were then jumbled with magazines containing blanks.

That poster also mentioned that Bruce Lee's son was killed (shot) in a set accident involving the filming of live ammunition for realism, but with the intent of actually firing blank ammunition.

B. Somebody brought live ammunition and was screwing around with it after hours, then forgot to unload the live rounds from the magazine(s). Though one would think this would never be allowed, humans have a track record of avoidable accidents with weapons.

I don't understand why they continued filming if their staff left.

My general understanding from living in SOCAL for a while and talking to set pros is that movies have staffs, not "a staff".

There are alot of contractors and sub contractors to handle different needs regarding the film. As other posters have stated, the set pros also told me that drama is fairly common- it is, after all, Hollywood.

Evidently, it is not unheard of for one of the staffs to get angry about something and leave. Yet other staffs could be willing to tolerate the work environment, or actually like it- alot.

The pros also told me that some of the drama was sometimes due to very different working conditions between the staffs. Some staffs were well known to the director and always contracted. As a result, they received noticably better pay, better food and better living conditions than other contractors.

And.... woe to anyone on some sets if they got in the wrong serving line- or used the wrong bathrooms. The pecking order could extend that far. Other sets, however, gave the same food, bathrooms to everyone.

Last edited:
Movie magic doesn't look 100% real. Maybe 75% real. And the sound is almost never accurate. MOO
Does it really matter?

People are munching popcorn and slurping Cola in the cinema.
Do they really care about these 25%???
I dont think it is worth somebody's life!

By the way, the plot of this film centres about the protagonist's (Alec) son shooting and killing sb accidentally.
I find it chilling.

Treat all firearms as loaded (rule one for both gun safety and for gun use in films). Baldwin did not do this.

They weren't even filming at that moment...
I am late finding the thread here and several pages behind but, ***THIS*** !!! Exactly. This! It's not like this is the first time he has ever handled a prop gun on a film location or TV show. ...but I'm sure he'll have plenty of others on set to try to cast the blame on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow