All things swine flu (H1N1)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If they believe that the young adults dying of flu in Mexico is due to cytokine storm, wouldn't that mean that they have good healthy immune systems? Most here who've gotten it so far (that we know of ) have been teens, kids, or older folks. As it starts spreading and the people in the 24-45 age group here start getting it and don't die then maybe we are the ones with unhealthy lifestyles and diet resulting in poorer immune systems.

This is promising for sure. I'm still so curious as to why in Mexico City the death rate is what it is. I can only assume no treatment or bad treatment. I sure hope this flu here continues to be just another typical flu (not to downplay that one in any way..it's a killer too!).

This could very well be a cover up, as many states are now resorting to this! Such as Florida, who has back peddled all day about a confirmed case of swine flu in disney land, and now is saying there was no such thing.

A lot of states are trying to cover up stuff, so as not to arise panic which I get. But I think the public WANTS to know the truth so they can Better prepare! I also think in actual reality it is eventually going to come out! Its ridiculous now that we can't even trust what these coroners say for sure, because we caught ANOTHER state lying to the people, whats to say that this coroner is not lying, to keep things under wrap???

4 Probable Swine Flu Cases At University Of Del.

Four students have been identified with cases of influenza that meet probable definitions for swine flu, Dr. Paul Silverman, Associate Deputy Director for Health Information & Science of the Division of Public Health announced Tuesday evening.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Swine.Flu.Delaware.2.996923.html

This could very well be a cover up, as many states are now resorting to this! Such as Florida, who has back peddled all day about a confirmed case of swine flu in disney land, and now is saying there was no such thing.

A lot of states are trying to cover up stuff, so as not to arise panic which I get. But I think the public WANTS to know the truth so they can Better prepare! I also think in actual reality it is eventually going to come out! Its ridiculous now that we can't even trust what these coroners say for sure, because we caught ANOTHER state lying to the people, whats to say that this coroner is not lying, to keep things under wrap???

What you are stating could be a cover up, appears to be nothing more than a doctor, who sent an email to a friend, stating he had a swine flu case. The fact is, that it takes 48 hours for confirmation. The State level officials are not hiding or covering up anything. They merely will not confirm a case of swine flu that has not been confirmed yet.

This is real life, not a Stephen King book.

This is promising for sure. I'm still so curious as to why in Mexico City the death rate is what it is. I can only assume no treatment or bad treatment. I sure hope this flu here continues to be just another typical flu (not to downplay that one in any way..it's a killer too!).

BBM. My son and I had this discussion last night. I believe it may be the poorer folks who are succuming, the ones already in poor health, malnourished, already suffering from some ailment, with little or no access to GOOD medical care. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

I'm in the absolute fool group as you would like to call it :) I'm leaving next week. What in the world would closing the borders do now? Good grief have you heard how many are sick alone in New York? There are more cases here in my state than where I'm going..in fact there are no cases where I'm going...taking a direct flight and am taking all precautions. Funny thing, you mention so many asking that gal not to go. I've heard quite the opposite....people are telling me to go! I realize fools are more likely to get it, but I'm really just the average Joe ;) I'd rather go to Mexico (NOT Mexico City) than NY at this point. Schools are closed within 60 miles of me...it's all over.

I don't know that I'd call you a fool exactly, but I do wonder why anyone would ignore a government travel advisory asking people to cancel non-essential visits to Mexico just for a vacation. Travel agencies and airlines are waiving change fees for the foreseeable future, so there would be no loss of money. Just b/c you are going to an area of Mexico where there are no cases doesn't mean that the people on your planes will all be from that area and (especially on your return home) won't have traveled around the country.

I guess I don't understand why a vacation is so important that I would take a risk or have to worry about it. That's not what a vacation is for, in my mind!

I don't know that I'd call you a fool exactly, but I do wonder why anyone would ignore a government travel advisory asking people to cancel non-essential visits to Mexico just for a vacation. Travel agencies and airlines are waiving change fees for the foreseeable future, so there would be no loss of money. Just b/c you are going to an area of Mexico where there are no cases doesn't mean that the people on your planes will all be from that area and (especially on your return home) won't have traveled around the country.

I guess I don't understand why a vacation is so important that I would take a risk or have to worry about it. That's not what a vacation is for, in my mind!

That is not correct...money is not the issue, however we would lose thousands (the resort). Now they are advising Europeans to cancel non-essential visits to the US. And here we are. I'm more likely to get it working out at the gym or my boys bringing it home (they go to three different schools). This is the first trip I've gone on alone with my husband in 20 years.....we are going!!!!! (if this thing was only in Mexico NO we would not go)

eta: I am sure most do not follow all the advisories and alerts, but because my husband travels worldwide all the time we do. I can tell you there are warnings out all the time...some I've worried sick about. This one I'm just not...it's the flu.

Just occasionally jumping in...

The World Health Organization (WHO) is not the US, and WHO members are concerned. Here's is the statement from WHO Director-General, Dr Margaret Chan, 27 April 2009.

"The Director-General has raised the level of influenza pandemic alert from the current phase 3 to phase 4."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_20090427/en/index.html

Here is info on the phases, 5-6 being a pandemic.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html

I would be worried that I couldn't get back to the states if I were to travel right now. There is a group of 170 people from the Huntington WV area trying to get back from a trip to mexico. They are supposedly being screened for the flu in Mexico, again in New Orleans, then again when they arrive at the airport in Charleston WV.

Huntington group trying to get home

Just occasionally jumping in...

The World Health Organization (WHO) is not the US, and WHO members are concerned. Here's is the statement from WHO Director-General, Dr Margaret Chan, 27 April 2009.

"The Director-General has raised the level of influenza pandemic alert from the current phase 3 to phase 4."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_20090427/en/index.html

Here is info on the phases, 5-6 being a pandemic.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html

Trino, just to back you up on this...I've been following this for almost 2 weeks now. The CDC has worked in conjunction with WHO on several aspects of the Swine Flu, including investigating it's origin. WHO has been predicting this will reach pandemic levels...spoke of this when I originally saw it about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully they've found the source, which is now being reported on, and they can figure out an innoculation. Alot of people don't realize that when they get the flu shot every year, those flu shots are only designated to work against the flu strains from the previous year(s). When a new flu strain comes into play, the old flu shot won't protect against the new strain...which is reason for boosters to be administered. This is why alot of people are scared, including government officials - even though the media isn't reporting that as much. It seems to me the media is focussing on the public cases in general and the govt does downplay this stuff, which causes others not to take it seriously. My dentist is part of the "Good Smile" program which goes to impoverished nations and fixes palates for free, dealing with many maxiofacial operations. Last year, & the year before, his team had to come home early from Vietnam b/c an outbreak of SARS occurred again. This is something that really wasn't taken serious in the U.S., same as Bird Flu. The problem with the Swine Flu is that it is compiled of various bird, insect, & animal strains that it's hard to fight something that's airborne...especially with kids. Most children I know don't cover their mouths when they sneeze and then immediately wash their hands...heck, most adults don't even do that. My kids carry Purell in their backpacks, but even that kills the "good" bacteria needed to fight off bad stuff over a period of time. The problem is that there's no remedy...yet...but I have hope that the officials found the source. I do believe there will be more deaths, but that's just me...imo. Hoping the CDC comprises a new booster for the flu shot!

I just got a breaking news alert that a toddler in Houston, Tx died today from the swine flu. Looking for a link now.

God Bless the family that lost their baby last night to this flu. I feel so bad for them.

Ok found link. http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090429_jj_texas-swine-flu-death.9fbb71.html

Toddler in Houston is 1st US swine flu fatality.

ATLANTA — The CDC on Wednesday confirmed the nation’s first swine flu death in the current outbreak, a 23-month-old child in Houston, Texas. Houston health officials say that the child was a Mexican national who was brought to Houston for treatment from the South Texas city of Brownsville.

This is really scary since I have a toddler and live in Houston.

Something else, I remember back in 82-84, WHO was predicting outbreaks of AIDS, and our govt (as well as various other govts) didn't take it seriously. I still cannot, til this day, understand why our govt tried selling us some stupid info of AIDS only being a "gay" issue. Puhlease. Now look. How dare some officials not take WHO serious - they've been around since before I was born and are part of The United Nations! I know alot about them as they are the reason I went to school. I wanted to work in infectious diseases for WHO or the CDC in Atlanta. Keep in mind that WHO is worldwide, while CDC is U.S.. Why is it that our public doesn't take anything serious until the CDC says something? Am I in a panic? No way. It's the flu. It does concern me, though, b/c our flu shot does not cover this strain. It's fast acting and will probably kill somebody with a deflated immunity system...such as someone with Leukemia, Lymphoma, or HIV. Children with asthma could also be part of that group. Again, I don't believe a panic is in order, but it should be taken seriously, at least until we know there's a cure or remedy available.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that there is a probable case of swine flu in a 12-year old from the Rogers Park neighborhood. http://www.suntimes.com/news/1549558,w-elementary-school-closure-swine-flu-042909.article

Illinois' Dept. of Public Health has confirmed probable swine flu in several patient specimens and have forwarded the specimens to the CDC for final confirmation. The Illinois Dept. of Public Health cannot confirm swine flu and must send the samples to the CDC to confirm or refute the case. We will know for sure in 24-36 hours after the CDC runs their tests.

State public health officials say more than one case is being sent to federal authorities for confirmation.
The Illinois Department of Public Health has conducted tests on patient specimens showing swine flu is probable.
http://www.wbir.com/news/health/story.aspx?storyid=86135&catid=3

I don't get it - the flu goes around every year and more people are infected than with this and many people die and it isn't as news worthy as this - why is this strain any different????

Thank you for that, Dee! Why does it take for somebody to be confirmed in every single state before our govt takes this stuff serious? They need to get the source, make a booster, and provide innoculations. I heard on tv this morning that there's not enough of what they have available to cover everyone. Wasn't there this same problem with not enough vaccines to go around 2 years ago? People were dying b/c that flu strain helped to cause pneumonia. If you ask me, this new particular strain should be taken serious, and vaccines should be administered for free...in order to prevent a larger outbreak. Sure, many people have insurance, but most can't afford their copays...so those people might not even go to the doctors unless they felt they were on their deathbed...literally. With the state of our world's economy, besides Russia which is raking in the dough, I really don't see everyone going right to their doctor as soon as they get sick. IMO they should provide innoculations for free in order to take that burden away from the public, and hence doing their share in helping to prevent a pandemic...which is definitely being predicted.

I don't get it - the flu goes around every year and more people are infected than with this and many people die and it isn't as news worthy as this - why is this strain any different????

Because (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - there is SO much bad information out there) this is a new virus, that we humans do not have an immunity to, and the people that are dying from it are not the normal group (immunosupressed).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonna1980!
Back