Allison Baden-Clay - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late in the afternoon on day three of the committal hearing, Phillip Broom, one time business partner of Gerard Baden-Clay took the stand. Under cross examination by Mr. Davis for the defence Mr. Broom pulled no punches in regard to what he knew about GBC's affair with Toni McHugh. I feel sure that there is a lot more to come from Phillip Broom but this was the committal hearing, not a trial.

What is interesting is that at almost the same time as Phillip Broom was in the witness stand, GBC's sister Olivia Walton chose to walk outside of the court building with a contingent of media in tow. She proceeded to give her 'interview', as many of us have now seen. Clearly a tactic to draw media attention away from what Phillip Broom was saying about GBC and his affair with Toni McHugh. Did she think she was so important that the media would drop everything in court just so that they could hang on her every word? Of course she did! Thankfully some media representatives did report on Phillip Broom's testimony, which was so much more riveting than Olivia Walton's inane ramblings.

For the record, I want to include here two excerpts from Phillip Broom's testimony (albeit very similar) from day three of the committal hearing so that it is not lost in the self absorbed and cunning tactics of Olivia Walton or OW, as she has now been dubbed by many.

What I also find interesting is that Olivia Walton slipped out of the courtroom at lunchtime and was followed by the media. She had the opportunity at that stage to grant them an interview. Why didn't she? Probably hungry, it was lunchtime after all. Must get the priorities right.

MSM Transcripts of Phillip Broom's statement on day three of the committal hearing.

1. The court was told Baden-Clay had many conversations with his former business partner from Century 21 Westside, Phillip Broom, about the affair with Ms McHugh.

Mr Broom said Baden-Clay spoke of needing a bigger car to ferry around both his own children and Ms McHugh's.

"At some points Gerard was leaving his wife to be with Toni, at other points he was leaving Toni to remain with his wife," Mr Broom told the court.

"As complex as it was in nature, it was confusing to me as to whether or not they were in the throes of an affair, had cooled off in their affair (or) had rekindled their affair."

But defence barrister Peter Davis said Mr Broom's business relationship with Baden-Clay "didn't end well".

"You obviously don't like him ... do you?" Mr Davis asked Mr Broom.

"You want to say that you're just giving honest evidence here - but you're here to sink the boot in, aren't you?"

Mr Broom disagreed, saying he and Baden-Clay had a "healthy respect" for each other's business skills.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...edge-in-business/story-e6freoof-1226596787533

2. Mr Broom, however, said he first noticed the affair the following year.

‘‘[It was] at one of our staff member’s engagement party ... I remember it being a confirmation that potentially something was happening’’.

Mr Broom said he and Mr Baden-Clay discussed the affair on many occasions thereafter.

It was complex, Mr Broom said.

‘‘It was difficult to judge whether he was leaving his wife to be with Toni, or he was leaving Toni to be with his wife.

"As complex as it was in nature, it was confusing to me as to whether or not they were in the throes of an affair, had cooled off in their affair or had rekindled their affair."

However, he recalled Mr Baden-Clay and Ms McHugh discussing the need for a larger car to accommodate his three daughters and her two sons, while on a business trip to Sydney.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...court-hears-20130313-2g0yz.html#ixzz2NTuGNOrL

Olivia Walton - out to lunch.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ic-gaze-in-court/story-e6freoof-1226595105748

Olivia Walton's interview.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ister-of-gerard-badenclay-20130313-2g0z2.html

Olivia, may I call you Livvy?

Lord. Love. Lust. Loud (screams). Lawyers. Ligature. Lividity. So many 'L' words come to mind Livvy but the one that stands out to me above all others is LIAR. And of course there are a lot of people who feel livid at a senseless loss of life - the murder of Allison Baden-Clay. May she rest in peace.

My opinion only and not that of Websleuths.

Lily livered Lothario! :what:

Late in the afternoon on day three of the committal hearing, Phillip Broom, one time business partner of Gerard Baden-Clay took the stand. Under cross examination by Mr. Davis for the defence Mr. Broom pulled no punches in regard to what he knew about GBC's affair with Toni McHugh. I feel sure that there is a lot more to come from Phillip Broom but this was the committal hearing, not a trial.

What is interesting is that at almost the same time as Phillip Broom was in the witness stand, GBC's sister Olivia Walton chose to walk outside of the court building with a contingent of media in tow. She proceeded to give her 'interview', as many of us have now seen. Clearly a tactic to draw media attention away from what Phillip Broom was saying about GBC and his affair with Toni McHugh. Did she think she was so important that the media would drop everything in court just so that they could hang on her every word? Of course she did! Thankfully some media representatives did report on Phillip Broom's testimony, which was so much more riveting than Olivia Walton's inane ramblings.

For the record, I want to include here two excerpts from Phillip Broom's testimony (albeit very similar) from day three of the committal hearing so that it is not lost in the self absorbed and cunning tactics of Olivia Walton or OW, as she has now been dubbed by many.

What I also find interesting is that Olivia Walton slipped out of the courtroom at lunchtime and was followed by the media. She had the opportunity at that stage to grant them an interview. Why didn't she? Probably hungry, it was lunchtime after all. Must get the priorities right.

MSM Transcripts of Phillip Broom's statement on day three of the committal hearing.

1. The court was told Baden-Clay had many conversations with his former business partner from Century 21 Westside, Phillip Broom, about the affair with Ms McHugh.

Mr Broom said Baden-Clay spoke of needing a bigger car to ferry around both his own children and Ms McHugh's.

"At some points Gerard was leaving his wife to be with Toni, at other points he was leaving Toni to remain with his wife," Mr Broom told the court.

"As complex as it was in nature, it was confusing to me as to whether or not they were in the throes of an affair, had cooled off in their affair (or) had rekindled their affair."

But defence barrister Peter Davis said Mr Broom's business relationship with Baden-Clay "didn't end well".

"You obviously don't like him ... do you?" Mr Davis asked Mr Broom.

"You want to say that you're just giving honest evidence here - but you're here to sink the boot in, aren't you?"

Mr Broom disagreed, saying he and Baden-Clay had a "healthy respect" for each other's business skills.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...edge-in-business/story-e6freoof-1226596787533

2. Mr Broom, however, said he first noticed the affair the following year.

‘‘[It was] at one of our staff member’s engagement party ... I remember it being a confirmation that potentially something was happening’’.

Mr Broom said he and Mr Baden-Clay discussed the affair on many occasions thereafter.

It was complex, Mr Broom said.

‘‘It was difficult to judge whether he was leaving his wife to be with Toni, or he was leaving Toni to be with his wife.

"As complex as it was in nature, it was confusing to me as to whether or not they were in the throes of an affair, had cooled off in their affair or had rekindled their affair."

However, he recalled Mr Baden-Clay and Ms McHugh discussing the need for a larger car to accommodate his three daughters and her two sons, while on a business trip to Sydney.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...court-hears-20130313-2g0yz.html#ixzz2NTuGNOrL

Olivia Walton - out to lunch.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ic-gaze-in-court/story-e6freoof-1226595105748

Olivia Walton's interview.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ister-of-gerard-badenclay-20130313-2g0z2.html

Olivia, may I call you Livvy?

Lord. Love. Lust. Loud (screams). Lawyers. Ligature. Lividity. So many 'L' words come to mind Livvy but the one that stands out to me above all others is LIAR. And of course there are a lot of people who feel livid at a senseless loss of life - the murder of Allison Baden-Clay. May she rest in peace.

My opinion only and not that of Websleuths.

Oh boy! The penny has only just dropped for me. (Bit slow here.) Thanks Makara!
"at almost the same time as Phillip Broom was in the witness stand, GBC's sister Olivia Walton chose to walk outside of the court building with a contingent of media in tow."
So THAT'S the reason for the diversion.
And no wonder.
If anything looks incriminating it is this former business partner on the stand.
Amongst other things we also learn that GBC wasn't just hopeless in business, he was also swindling the other partners.
Phillip Broom's statement is fairly damning. Wouldn't help the grandeur of the BC name at all.
Being charged with murder is one thing, (trying hard to get that squashed) but to sully the BC name........
Urgent diversion required, whisper through the perspex, "Don;t worry, I have a plan."

Re: Olivia and her media statement.

I have seen her in person and at the time she was a confident woman. Her voice was not shaken, and her mannerisms were opposite to those shown in the video.

When I saw OW it was after Allison's death, on the eve of Allison's funeral.

I agree - she is a very confident speaker- used to public speaking. The staged press conference was well rehearsed with a script at the ready if she forgot what she was going to say.
MOO

"at almost the same time as Phillip Broom was in the witness stand, GBC's sister Olivia Walton chose to walk outside of the court building with a contingent of media in tow."
And no wonder.
If anything looks incriminating it is this former business partner on the stand.
Amongst other things we also learn that GBC wasn't just hopeless in business, he was also swindling the other partners.
Phillip Broom's statement is fairly damning. Wouldn't help the grandeur of the BC name at all.
Being charged with murder is one thing, (trying hard to get that squashed) but to sully the BC name........
Urgent diversion required, whisper through the perspex, "Don;t worry, I have a plan."

I'm actually a bit confused as to why the defense would have chosen Phil Broom to say anything at the committal hearing. Things were far from sweet between he and GBC long before ABC went missing - and surely GBC would have let his legal team know that! Just not understanding the strategy behind that one iota. :confused:

I'm actually a bit confused as to why the defense would have chosen Phil Broom to say anything at the committal hearing. Things were far from sweet between he and GBC long before ABC went missing - and surely GBC would have let his legal team know that! Just not understanding the strategy behind that one iota. :confused:

Perhaps they thought they could show him to have a it of a 'thing' about Gerard because of the money owed - ie 'putting the boot in' but Mr Broom was too calm and collected :)

Perhaps they thought they could show him to have a it of a 'thing' about Gerard because of the money owed - ie 'putting the boot in' but Mr Broom was too calm and collected :)

Ooh yeah... Maybe you're right. I suppose the defense can't call witnesses at a committal can they... never thought of that. Thanks Maigret. :)

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. Very long time lurker of both WS Jill and Allison's sites. I lived for about 20 years in the Western suburbs of Brisbane so am very familiar with the Brookfield area, and now live in Victoria.

Some of you sleuthers are quite amazing and have incredible insights.

What finally made me join is not that I have a lot to add, but that with both the trials happening this week I finally felt that I had to join and stop being a Lurker.

I also was appalled at the performance by GBCs sister OW. Maybe one day she will realise it was never about her and her sad family but about Allison. I really believe that justice will be done.

Welcome Total. The only thing missing from Livvy's "mini press performance" was for her to stomp her feet, pout her lips and a demand that her innocent brother be freed immediately. I still find it bizarre.

And no wonder.

Yep, I think you've got it. :rocker:

All my opinion of course. :moo:

Good post. The prosecution calls the witnesses and then they are examined. The media can't report about only prosecution as that is biased. In all fairness they have to report GBC's defence.

Yes I agree with Maigret, that it was probably to make Phils witness statement appear look like it was written with bias rather than objectively.
ie. to discredit Phil.

Why do you think Allison's family has been at court? It's not to support an innocent man, they are there to support Allison. I feel if the Dickies for a moment thought GBC has been wrongly convicted, trust me, they would be shouting from the rooftops to find the real murderer.
NO, The Dickies know who killed Allison and they are there to to see justice being done for their little girl.
As for the family of many victims we see, they are there in court, every day without fail to see it through, maybe to feel the satisfaction for their loved one.

WE KNOW WHY YOU ARE THERE AND WE KNOW YOU KNOW.

Bumping up a couple of posts from only a few hours ago.

Ok folks..that's about enough of attacking other members.

IF you have a problem with a post please use the alert button...that's what it's there for.

All members are welcome to post their opinions as long as they remain within TOS.

At the risk of causing much online groaning - I am going to mention the Kenmore roundabout. :what:
I was just looking back at some old info and noticed that the police were looking for people who may have seen EITHER of the cars at the roundabout between 11.30pm 19/04 and 4am 20/04 - the night ABC went missing.
If QPS had information that ABC may have been seen at the roundabout and they were looking for people who had seen the either of the family cars there at that time, then it seems fair to assume that someone saw her in a car at the roundabout.
So, it would make sense that if someone had seen her in a car at the roundabout, they would also have seen which car she was in.
I just find it interesting that they were wanting information from people who had seen EITHER car there at that time. Makes me think there could be a possibility that QPS might think perhaps GBC followed her or something?
Sorry if this has been gone over already - I have read every post since the beginning, but it has been almost a year and I do have a memory like a sieve!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/nati...8a5a0/baden-clay-disappearance-time-narrowed/

<modsnip> He'd have to creep back home because poor Allison was the one who truly loved him and put up with it, as you do when the rose coloured glasses sit firmly on your face.
Sometimes one has to realise BEFORE it's too late to RUN, KEEP ON RUNNING AND DON'T LOOK BACK BECAUSE THERES NOTHING THERE.
Sometimes the hardest decision in hindsight is the best decision.

One last thing, I want to say a huge thank you to Alioop & our Doc for the wonderful guidance they have both been giving, and what fabulous people you all are.
as Jeff Fenech would say 'I loves ya all'

In my humble opinion, anybody who is capable of murdering someone else, is a severely disturbed individual. That is how I see GBC's behaviour in Court ... a disturbed person, who is trying to hide from anybody and everybody ... because HE knows that WE know what he did! He is not capable to front the public, with his head held high ... because HE knows that WE know what he did! Starting on the first time he appeared in Court, when he sat with his back to the room and looking at the wall, he has displayed nothing more than a GUILTY demeanour. I have never heard of anybody trying to HIDE whilst in Court as much as this guy does. GUILTY is what I see.

OW ... still trying to defend her brother! But I think the penny has dropped for her (although she will not show it) ... her plea to the police to explore all avenues is to me an indication that she now knows he did it. Otherwise, why in the 9 months since his arrest, haven't they come out of their hiding spots and called a press conference to put their point across, i.e. that the police have not (in their opinion) investigated all avenues? Because they know there are no more avenues to investigate. They know! My opinion only.

At the risk of causing much online groaning - I am going to mention the Kenmore roundabout. :what:
I was just looking back at some old info and noticed that the police were looking for people who may have seen EITHER of the cars at the roundabout between 11.30pm 19/04 and 4am 20/04 - the night ABC went missing.
If QPS had information that ABC may have been seen at the roundabout and they were looking for people who had seen the either of the family cars there at that time, then it seems fair to assume that someone saw her in a car at the roundabout.
So, it would make sense that if someone had seen her in a car at the roundabout, they would also have seen which car she was in.
I just find it interesting that they were wanting information from people who had seen EITHER car there at that time. Makes me think there could be a possibility that QPS might think perhaps GBC followed her or something?
Sorry if this has been gone over already - I have read every post since the beginning, but it has been almost a year and I do have a memory like a sieve!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/nati...8a5a0/baden-clay-disappearance-time-narrowed/

unless the roundabout was part of one of her walking routes and wondering if gbc or someone was stalking her in one of the cars?

I think QPS were not sure at that stage which car was used to transport her to the creek. They believe she was murdered at home, not somewhere else. They were trying to establish if any of their cars had been seen at the roundabout, not if ABC herself had been seen there. IMO.

Yes I agree with Maigret, that it was probably to make Phils witness statement appear look like it was written with bias rather than objectively.
ie. to discredit Phil.

I think you are right Obsessor. Ex Mate Phil was not a happy camper. GBC had shared some information on his on again off again love life with Phil. Phil did not present the "relationship" with Toni as very stable and he was certainly a very disgruntled ex partner who believed GBC had been unfair and dishonest in his business dealings with him. He actually deomonstrated he had every reason to dislike GBC and was ready to "dish up the dirt".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
difficultgrownup