American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IDK Doesn't make sense to me, if it's not that contagious then why all the protection on the plane and at the hospital? seems maybe they are overreacting about it themselves to me if it's not that easy to get.

IDK Doesn't make sense to me, if it's not that contagious then why all the protection on the plane and at the hospital? seems maybe they are overreacting about it themselves to me if it's not that easy to get.

and why the caution tape all around the hospital? why take the pt in through a seemingly inconvenient --and hidden-- back door?

and how does a pt go to the bathroom on a plane in an isolation pod while wearing all that protective gear? and what happens to their urine -- both on the plane and while in hospital?

Add to that, these two patients already got experimental treatment while in Liberia. Woman was given some experimental serum, and the doctor had blood injected into him from surviving patient.
So it makes no sense to me whatsoever for them to be brought back to US while they are at their most infectious. Even if patent recovers, he remains infectious for sometime. And bodies remain infectious after death.
Because I don't believe for a second that hospitals in US are ready for Ebola outbreak, why bring it into highly populated area?

Why bring it to the western hemisphere? I know it probably will get here anyway but why rush it?
I don't believe what they are saying about the virus either. The honest answer is they do not know.
Come on 2 doctors and a nurse (who know all the rules about personal protective equipment PPE) come down with the disease? No alarms going up that there is a real possibility that the virus has mutated?
Is no one listening to what was said in April? 3-4 months ago, they had a new (unique)strain. I won't blindly believe they know enough about this new strain yet.
It isn't unheard of for one virus to bind with another virus and suddenly the route of transmission changes.
That is something. a doctor I know.was taught about bioterrorism in the military.

Wasn't it the backstory for.the movie "Outbreak"?
-mpst of.it was Hollywood, but not the root of the story imo.

"The new research analyzed blood samples from 20 patients in the current outbreak and found the strain was unique."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/feedarticle/11299105

It's jmo. I'm not trying to convince anyone any differently.

All posts are MOO

http://online.wsj.com/articles/firs...ry-university-hospital-spokeswoman-1406995233

Dr. Brantly, who had been treating patients at an Ebola treatment center operated by two U.S. faith-based organizations, walked into Emory on his own accord, said Todd Shearer, a spokesman for Samaritan's Purse, one of the charities running the clinic. Mr. Shearer said he did not know the medical condition of the 33-year-old doctor from Texas.

and why the caution tape all around the hospital? why take the pt in through a seemingly inconvenient --and hidden-- back door?

and how does a pt go to the bathroom on a plane in an isolation pod while wearing all that protective gear? and what happens to their urine -- both on the plane and while in hospital?
I believe the "package" he was carrying was his "waste". Like a catheter/stool evacuation bag...
moo

All posts are MOO

I am torn on whether bringing these patients back to the U.S. is the correct decision.

I agree with Herding Cats that one of the reasons they were brought here is so advanced testing could be completed on live patients with the virus. TKM-Ebola is one of the experimental vaccines that is seeking human trials. In January, they injected the first patient with the experimental vaccine. I think this is the same treatment scheduled to begin larger human trials in September, but have not found a MSM link that specifically states that. So, JMO.

"We are pleased to announce the first subject has been dosed in a Phase I clinical trial evaluating the safety of a new LNP formulation for our TKM-Ebola therapeutic. Building upon our compelling preclinical results, the Phase I data generated will guide our determination of the appropriate dose of this drug for the potential use as a medical countermeasure against this lethal hemorrhagic fever virus. We remain on track to have data from this trial available in the second half of this year," said Dr. Mark J. Murray, Tekmira's President and CEO.
http://investor.tekmirapharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=819313

Here is a news story about the three current potential treatments that are being worked on.
http://www.ibtimes.com/ebola-experi...-ebola-mapp-biopharmaceuticals-mb-003-1646872

Based on some of the discussion in this thread, I have been reading Richard Preston's book "The Hot Zone." It is fascinating and terrifying all at the same time. I believe the reason there is such concern about isolation is because the latter stages of this disease are very violent. The latter stages allow for a greater chance of direct bodily fluid contact. Many patients experience violent seizures, vomiting and hemorrhaging which release large amounts of bodily fluid into the immediate area of the patient. During this stage, the virus is at its most contagious. This is, at least, my understanding from reading this book (I am a little more than halfway through.)

I think I would be more concerned if the patients were currently in the latter stages of the virus. Watching the local news today (WSB-TV live on-air), they showed video of the male patient exiting the ambulance under his own power and walking with another individuals assistance into the hospital. I assume he would be unable to do that if he were in the latter stages of the virus. However, that does not mean he won't develop those symptoms while he is here for treatment.

My hope is the medical staff at the CDC and Emory feel this is the best shot they currently have of experimentation and finding a working vaccine and/or cure for the disease. Like others, I am also concerned about medical workers returning to the U.S. from the area of the outbreaks and not isolating themselves. To me, that seems to also be a very important step in making sure there is no outbreak here in the U.S.

All my opinion only, and a little bit of rambling to ease my concerns. :)

I believe the "package" he was cattying was his "waste". Like a catheter/stool evacuation bag...
moo

All posts are MOO

wasn't the pt the one who exited the ambulance last? he wasn't carrying anything.

diapers?

wasn't the pt the one who exited the ambulance last? he wasn't carrying anything.

diapers?
Then his medic was carrying the package.
IMO no diapers would not suffice for a flight.

They would have his body waste in a closed containment system. For tue durati9n of his stay at Emory as well. If they have any sense.

I also didn't see any IV fluids either so maybe that is what the package was.
All posts are MOO

To me it looked like the patient and the medic/nurse/doctor with him were holding hands. They each had on a pair of thick, blue gloves. Joined together, the gloves could be mistaken for something being held in their hands. The medic/nurse/doctor also had some sort of bag or container slung over their body. It seemed to be resting on his back hip.

Is it possible neither of them were carrying anything, but the medic/nurse/doctor was simply holding the patient's gloved hands as a method of assisting him into the building?

MOO.

director of cdc tells cnn that 1) it was SP's decision to bring pt home... then refuses to answer follow up question saying "ask SP" and 2) there is nothing being done in atlanta that could not have been done in africa. SP just wanted to bring pt home... thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/08/01/sgmd-gupta-cdc-frieden-ebola.cnn.html

Thoughts-very negative. Especially considering that there is nothing that could be done in Atlanta that couldn't have been done in Africa. If somebody screws up, there will have a lot of explaining to do.

I am torn on whether bringing these patients back to the U.S. is the correct decision.

I agree with Herding Cats that one of the reasons they were brought here is so advanced testing could be completed on live patients with the virus. TKM-Ebola is one of the experimental vaccines that is seeking human trials. In January, they injected the first patient with the experimental vaccine. I think this is the same treatment scheduled to begin larger human trials in September, but have not found a MSM link that specifically states that. So, JMO.

http://investor.tekmirapharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=819313

Here is a news story about the three current potential treatments that are being worked on.
http://www.ibtimes.com/ebola-experi...-ebola-mapp-biopharmaceuticals-mb-003-1646872

Based on some of the discussion in this thread, I have been reading Richard Preston's book "The Hot Zone." It is fascinating and terrifying all at the same time. I believe the reason there is such concern about isolation is because the latter stages of this disease are very violent. The latter stages allow for a greater chance of direct bodily fluid contact. Many patients experience violent seizures, vomiting and hemorrhaging which release large amounts of bodily fluid into the immediate area of the patient. During this stage, the virus is at its most contagious. This is, at least, my understanding from reading this book (I am a little more than halfway through.)

I think I would be more concerned if the patients were currently in the latter stages of the virus. Watching the local news today (WSB-TV live on-air), they showed video of the male patient exiting the ambulance under his own power and walking with another individuals assistance into the hospital. I assume he would be unable to do that if he were in the latter stages of the virus. However, that does not mean he won't develop those symptoms while he is here for treatment.

My hope is the medical staff at the CDC and Emory feel this is the best shot they currently have of experimentation and finding a working vaccine and/or cure for the disease. Like others, I am also concerned about medical workers returning to the U.S. from the area of the outbreaks and not isolating themselves. To me, that seems to also be a very important step in making sure there is no outbreak here in the U.S.

All my opinion only, and a little bit of rambling to ease my concerns. :)

Oh I would say he is definitely in the later stages (because he has been sick for over a week), but sounds like he is on the road to recovery. That injection he got from a surviving patient must have worked. Apparently these blood injections were done in prior outbreaks and they are very effective in reducing mortality.

The guy with the apparatus is the medic. He probably has a rebreather on. If you watch closely the medic comes out first then the Dr. he is a little weak...
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...lown-to-atlanta-for-ebola-treatment/13505831/

The first responders would be the one wearing them, not the patient.
7a6ypeje.jpg

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/bestpractices/html/images/hospital_firstreceivers_img8.jpg

All posts are MOO

Why bring it to the western hemisphere? I know it probably will get here anyway but why rush it?
I don't believe what they are saying about the virus either. The honest answer is they do not know.
Come on 2 doctors and a nurse (who know all the rules about personal protective equipment PPE) come down with the disease? No alarms going up that there is a real possibility that the virus has mutated?
Is no one listening to what was said in April? 3-4 months ago, they had a new (unique)strain. I won't blindly believe they know enough about this new strain yet.
It isn't unheard of for one virus to bind with another virus and suddenly the route of transmission changes.
That is something. a doctor I know.was taught about bioterrorism in the military.

Wasn't it the backstory for.the movie "Outbreak"?
-mpst of.it was Hollywood, but not the root of the story imo.

"The new research analyzed blood samples from 20 patients in the current outbreak and found the strain was unique."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/feedarticle/11299105

There could be many more Ebola strains out there.

It's jmo. I'm not trying to convince anyone any differently.

All posts are MOO

There are many Ebola strains out there................

Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids? They already showed by doing research in monkeys that it can spread through droplets in the air. So if Ebola patient sneezes or coughs, it appears to me whoever is standing next to that patient could very well get it.
We know the doctors who got this disease were using protective equipment, yet already three doctors got infected and two already died.

Jjenny, respectfully, can you supply a link to where "they already showed by doing research in monkeys that it can spread through droplets in the air"

Otherwise, I am considering that MOO on your part.

TIA

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

"It is of interest, that the first macaques to become infected were housed in cages located directly within the main airflow to the air exhaust system. The experimental setting of the present study could not quantify the relative contribution of aerosol, small and large droplets in the air, and droplets landing inside the NHP cage."

"Our findings support the hypothesis that airborne transmission may contribute to ZEBOV spread, specifically from pigs to primates, and may need to be considered in assessing transmission from animals to humans in general."

All posts are MOO

A Q&A from Emory University Hospital

"We have prepared the following FAQs to provide more information on the topic of Ebola and Emory’s care for these patients". advancingyourhealth.org/highlights/2014/08/02/ebola-faq/

Some of the Questions asked here are answered, such as the following one within the FAQs

"If the Ebola virus is transmitted in the same way HIV and Hepatitis B or C are transmitted, why are there so many precautions (hazmat suits, protective gear, isolation unit) being put into place?

The Ebola virus is part of a list of agents that the United States government has determined to be a threat to bioterrorism. This list is called Level A agents. Because Ebola is on this list, we are required by law to take extra precautions when handling materials that may be contaminated or when treating patients that are infected with it."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noseynellie1234
Back