Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

StillDiggin

Reaction score
A 59-year-old American tourist has been missing since Tuesday after going on a solo hike in the Greek island of Amorgos, just days after British television host and celebrity doctor Michael Mosley was found dead after going out walking in Greece.

The unnamed man, who according to Greek news outlet Ekathimerini is a retired police officer, departed from the port settlement of Aegiali in the northwest of the island shortly after 7 am.

His intended destination was Katapola, the island's main port along the western coast of the island. The trail is estimated to take around four hours.

After he failed to return after eight hours, he was reported missing by a friend.

A rescue operation was launched on Tuesday afternoon, and reinforcements were called in from Naxos island.

According to Ekathimerini, police have requested data from mobile operators to help determine the man's last known location.
1718219714520.jpeg

A 59-year-old American tourist has been missing since Tuesday after going on a solo hike in the Greek island of Amorgos, just days after British television host and celebrity doctor Michael Mosley was found dead after going out walking in Greece.

The unnamed man, who according to Greek news outlet Ekathimerini is a retired police officer, departed from the port settlement of Aegiali in the northwest of the island shortly after 7 am.

His intended destination was Katapola, the island's main port along the western coast of the island. The trail is estimated to take around four hours.

After he failed to return after eight hours, he was reported missing by a friend.

A rescue operation was launched on Tuesday afternoon, and reinforcements were called in from Naxos island.

According to Ekathimerini, police have requested data from mobile operators to help determine the man's last known location.
View attachment 509815

oh my heavens. For the love of Greece. i mean for the love of God...

Eric Calibet went missing just days after Michael Mosley, the British TV doctor, died on a walk across rugged hills on the island of Symi, in the Dodecanese.

Authorities on Amorgos released a photo of the missing 57-year-old American to help with search and rescue operations on the island, which has a network of well-kept hiking trails.

The American is well known on Amorgos, having visited several times.

“He had completed the Aegiali to Katapola hike several times in the past,” Calliope Despotidi, the deputy mayor of Amorgos, told Greek Reporter, a news website.

“It is strange because he is not a person who walked the route for the first time. He knows Amorgos better than me.”

More at link.

1718220733575.png

Last edited:
To add to the mystery there is a Dutch tourist still missing, whilst also hiking, from the island of Samos from Sunday 9th June.
Good grief. THREE people now, in the space of a week? I hope these last two are found alright. That terrain that Dr Mosely walked shocked me. Really bad, even when not hot out.

<modsnip - quoted post and response off topic, removed>

The temperature that the retired police officer was walking in apparently was over 100F, he had two phones, knew the area like the back of his hand according to the Deputy Mayor but was attempting a walk that normally takes FOUR HOURS. As Dirty Harry once said: "A man's gotta know his limitations."

In addition, said gentleman above had already successfully walked the route many times before as per media reports.

Ebm - additional info.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds awful. And that was just the low 90's and only a couple of miles. Glad you made it safely though. The temperature that the retired police officer was walking in apparently was over 100F, he had two phones, knew the area like the back of his hand according to the Deputy Mayor but was attempting a walk that normally takes FOUR HOURS. As Dirty Harry once said: "A man's gotta know his limitations."

In addition, said gentleman above had already successfully walked the route many times before as per media reports.

Ebm - additional info.
Overconfidence can kill.

And hard on the heels of Michael Moseley's untimely death, I cannot imagine why anybody would be taking long hikes during this heatwave in Greece right now.

I am heartbroken for this man's loved ones.

MOO

Eric set off at 7am, 4 hour walk, a walk he knew well. Back by 11am. No matter how hot it is, this is not the heat of the day, which is usually mid to late afternoon. Just because it’s hot to me it’s no reason just to disappear. Yes people can have medical emergencies, accidents, but why are they not Immediately found close to trail? I also have walked when it’s hot on the Camino de Santiago in Spain. People usually set off as early as possible even in the dark to walk as much as possible when it’s cooler. Thee are times though I have walked temps close by 40 c with no shade or breeze. Quite often u get a breeze on these Greek Islands even in hot temperatures. Hundreds and thousands have also walked Camino’s in Europe and I have never heard of people going missing aside from 1 which sadly turned out to be a murder a few years ago.
To me it’s really unusual all these mostly hikers going missing on the Greek Islands recently and usually in June. Even previous years disappearances have also mostly been in June. Yes the weather is hot in June, but usually July August are equally as hot if not hotter.
Let’s hope are current missing hikers can be found alive.

Eric set off at 7am, 4 hour walk, a walk he knew well. Back by 11am. No matter how hot it is, this is not the heat of the day, which is usually mid to late afternoon. Just because it’s hot to me it’s no reason just to disappear. Yes people can have medical emergencies, accidents, but why are they not Immediately found close to trail? I also have walked when it’s hot on the Camino de Santiago in Spain. People usually set off as early as possible even in the dark to walk as much as possible when it’s cooler. Thee are times though I have walked temps close by 40 c with no shade or breeze. Quite often u get a breeze on these Greek Islands even in hot temperatures. Hundreds and thousands have also walked Camino’s in Europe and I have never heard of people going missing aside from 1 which sadly turned out to be a murder a few years ago.
To me it’s really unusual all these mostly hikers going missing on the Greek Islands recently and usually in June. Even previous years disappearances have also mostly been in June. Yes the weather is hot in June, but usually July August are equally as hot if not hotter.
Let’s hope are current missing hikers can be found alive.
Thanks for the additional info re walk times. So, not walking in the hottest time of the day. You would have thought then given he had successfully completed this walk before he would have made it. It sounds as if there could be a darker reason as to why he hasn't made it. As you say the fact that most disappearances happen in June, rather than July or August when it is much hotter seems baffling. Perhaps you have the heat and humidity in combination in June, whereas in July and August it is hotter but less humid, but that's only my opinion. I could be talking complete and utter drivel as I have never been to Greece before.

Overconfidence can kill.

And hard on the heels of Michael Moseley's untimely death, I cannot imagine why anybody would be taking long hikes during this heatwave in Greece right now.

I am heartbroken for this man's loved ones.

MOO
I believe a guy that age would walk, even after someone else perished doing something similar. I am married to a man that age who has been athletic and adventuresome all his life, with part of his identity being able to endure and persevere tough things. These cases scare me because I can imagine my husband in them and me being the worried wife waiting for him. My dad was the same and I remember my mom worrying. :(

jmo

Interview is here

Last edited:
I believe a guy that age would walk, even after someone else perished doing something similar. I am married to a man that age who has been athletic and adventuresome all his life, with part of his identity being able to endure and persevere tough things. These cases scare me because I can imagine my husband in them and me being the worried wife waiting for him. My dad was the same and I remember my mom worrying. :(

jmo
What a shame Michael Mosley 's death did not make someone more aware of the dangers of being out in extreme temperatures. Even for Greece the temperature is much higher than usual . It still would be hot even in the morning .

According to her partner, Albert was seen near the Saint-Nicolas church. Search launched for missing LA County Sheriff's deputy in Greece
He stopped for a water and a coke Near Church of Agios Nikolaos at Steki tou Machera!!!!!
2024-06-13-16h26-10.png

So he at least made it a third of the way. The article says the trail is completely exposed to the sun - no shade. Also says he's been to Greece 50 times and walked this route before. But perhaps not in these temperatures.
I wonder if he began to feel unwell and tried to make his way down to the beach.
Do we know if the church was open and somewhere he could have sought shade?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50
Back