Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At least 4 people on Amorgos reported speaking to EAC while hiking on Amorgos on Jun 14.

"A woman at a local store saw him when he stopped and bought a Coke and water, sometime between 9:15 and 10 a.m.

Calibet then talked to a couple who later called police and told them they had definitely seen the missing man on the trail.

The next and last person who reported seeing him was a goat shepherd, who talked to him between noon and 12:30 p.m
"

The specifics of where these people were when they saw or spoke to him is not mentioned in the article. His GF was to go to join him in Amorgos in August.

Day 17 closes without any trace of Eric Albert Calibet. I hope he is found tomorrow, June 30.

At least 4 people on Amorgos reported speaking to EAC while hiking on Amorgos on Jun 14.

"A woman at a local store saw him when he stopped and bought a Coke and water, sometime between 9:15 and 10 a.m.

Calibet then talked to a couple who later called police and told them they had definitely seen the missing man on the trail.

The next and last person who reported seeing him was a goat shepherd, who talked to him between noon and 12:30 p.m
"

The specifics of where these people were when they saw or spoke to him is not mentioned in the article. His GF was to go to join him in Amorgos in August.

Day 17 closes without any trace of Eric Albert Calibet. I hope he is found tomorrow, June 30.

I do find this case so strange.
Sigh.

No stranger than these disappearances ?

David Wolstenhulme - Serifos - missing​

David Wolstenhulme, 69, disappeared on Friday, June 25, 2021 on the Greek island of Serifos. The Yorkshireman had travelled there with his wife Heide and set off ready for a morning hike on the day he mysteriously vanished.

He said that he would be back at the hotel by around 5pm - but he was never seen again. His wife believes he could have fallen down a sinkhole.

Roger Bainbridge - Antipaxos - missing​

Roger Bainbridge disappeared on September 30, 2013, while holidaying on the tiny island of Antipaxos, Greece. He had made a day trip from the neighbouring island of Paxos, where his sister lived. The 67-year-old man, from Kendal, Cumbria, passed by other walkers on his hike.

A search party scoured the two square miles of the island but failed to uncover any traces of him. A month later, when Cumbria Police sent out two officers to help with the local search, still nothing was found. Roger Bainbridge vanished on a day trip

Russell Ward another
John Tossell another
Roger Bainbridge is the only disappearance that took place in another month except June. They are all strange.

Russell Ward another
John Tossell another
Roger Bainbridge is the only disappearance that took place in another month except June. They are all strange.

Well... thanks to you guys.. to show it is not so strange...
I guess because we had the publicity with Mosley... we have had so much more attention than usual...

It doesn't seem like local residents of the islands go missing at anywhere near the rate of foreign, older hikers that hike in summer.

I supposed local people know better or are too hard at work to be out walking around the country, or that it just doesn't make the international news.

Oliver Calibet expressed frustration in the lack of assistance from the U.S. and Greek governments in the search for his brother Albert.

"It is with heavy heart that I announce the conclusion of our search for our beloved Albert," Oliver Calibet wrote. "Despite our relentless efforts and determination, Albert remains missing. I deeply fear that foul play has occurred as we found zero evidence of Albert anywhere on the island.

So there was no rental car, no luggage or larger pack that he appeared to have with him in the CCTV? He had checked out or left his lodgings in Aegiali without leaving anything there?

So there was no rental car, no luggage or larger pack that he appeared to have with him in the CCTV? He had checked out or left his lodgings in Aegiali without leaving anything there?

If EAC was visiting Amorgos yearly, and for weeks at a time, shouldn't there be other things he had with him to be found? A larger pack or luggage, other clothes, other shoes, a jacket, phone chargers, extra glasses, toiletries, etc?

I don't know if it is incorrect quoting of the brother but I cannot understand why there are not other items or possessions at his lodging in Aegiali if he was only doing a hike to have lunch with his travel buddy and wasn't moving his stay to Katapola. Surely one of the witnesses would have noticed if he had a pack large enough to have all his gear in it rather than just a typical daypack.

Day 20 ends without any further information, and the search has been halted.

I truly do hope he can be found and a reasonable explanation for his disappearance becomes evident.

Oliver Calibet expressed frustration in the lack of assistance from the U.S. and Greek governments in the search for his brother Albert.

"It is with heavy heart that I announce the conclusion of our search for our beloved Albert," Oliver Calibet wrote. "Despite our relentless efforts and determination, Albert remains missing. I deeply fear that foul play has occurred as we found zero evidence of Albert anywhere on the island.

I found a near-identical story by NBC news. The NBC headline mentioned the possibility of foul play. I tend to think it was not foul play but Albert wandered off the trail due to heat exhaustion or dehydration. He was not making the best decisions under the circumstances due to the excessively hot weather.

I found a near-identical story by NBC news. The NBC headline mentioned the possibility of foul play. I tend to think it was not foul play but Albert wandered off the trail due to heat exhaustion or dehydration. He was not making the best decisions under the circumstances due to the excessively hot weather.

I agree FoxxTraxx.

You would think the travel buddy he was meeting would have a lot of information about where he was staying and how much stuff he had brought with him. No one has commented on whether or not the CCTV footage of a man putting what seems to be a large pack into a car in Aegiali has been proven to be him.

It doesn't seem like local residents of the islands go missing at anywhere near the rate of foreign, older hikers that hike in summer.

I supposed local people know better or are too hard at work to be out walking around the country, or that it just doesn't make the international news.
I was thinking about this: it seems to me a definite cultural difference of Northern Europe compared with southern countries.

As in, the Romantic poets began to walk all over the Lake District in the UK in the 1700s, writing poetry about wandering lonely as a cloud amid crowds of daffodils, now the whole of Britain is crisscrossed with named, multi-day trails. The Swiss climbing the Alps just for fun, the German philosophy about rambling in nature to cure the ills from crowded cities...

But I don't this has ever been a past-time in Greece - I'm sure they have other things they're passionate about - perhaps the sea. Anyway, their trails aren't official or mapped, and are only used by tourists.

But still, hiking is associated with some people getting into trouble, everywhere. I think he got into trouble out there somewhere. I also think he maybe didn't call for help, because he wasn't that kind of guy.

Consider that an area 3 miles across by 3 miles long, is 250 million square feet. A person's remains could be in 1 of those 250 million places.

JMO

I was thinking about this: it seems to me a definite cultural difference of Northern Europe compared with southern countries.

As in, the Romantic poets began to walk all over the Lake District in the UK in the 1700s, writing poetry about wandering lonely as a cloud amid crowds of daffodils, now the whole of Britain is crisscrossed with named, multi-day trails. The Swiss climbing the Alps just for fun, the German philosophy about rambling in nature to cure the ills from crowded cities...

But I don't this has ever been a past-time in Greece - I'm sure they have other things they're passionate about - perhaps the sea. Anyway, their trails aren't official or mapped, and are only used by tourists.

But still, hiking is associated with some people getting into trouble, everywhere. I think he got into trouble out there somewhere. I also think he maybe didn't call for help, because he wasn't that kind of guy.

Consider that an area 3 miles across by 3 miles long, is 250 million square feet. A person's remains could be in 1 of those 250 million places.

JMO

By the most obvious route and his stopping about 9:20 for the Coke and water at Asphodilitis, he should have been very close to Xenokeratidi or Katapola had he been on the regular trails by the time the goat herder talked to him at noon or just thereafter. The harbor that Katapola is on should have been in view.

Clearly, however, the search team has rigorously searched the area where that last contact was noted, without any results.

Re: Heatstroke

This week and the next, the western US will be under an extreme and prolonged heatwave.

The heatwave claimed it's first victim, today. Outside of Phoenix, a 10 year old boy collapsed and died on a a hike with his parents. The party had been hiking on shadeless trails in the South Mountain Preserve for about 5 hours. The temperature when the child collapsed was approximately 110 F / 43 C. The family was from out of town. Police are interviewing the family.

The forecast for this area is temps >110 for the next 10 days. Sunday is expected to be the hottest, with a forecast high temperature of 116. At this level, it is very dangerous for anyone who even has to rescue or search for a missing person outside.

Re: Heatstroke

This week and the next, the western US will be under an extreme and prolonged heatwave.

The heatwave claimed it's first victim, today. Outside of Phoenix, a 10 year old boy collapsed and died on a a hike with his parents. The party had been hiking on shadeless trails in the South Mountain Preserve for about 5 hours. The temperature when the child collapsed was approximately 110 F / 43 C. The family was from out of town. Police are interviewing the family.

The forecast for this area is temps >110 for the next 10 days. Sunday is expected to be the hottest, with a forecast high temperature of 116. At this level, it is very dangerous for anyone who even has to rescue or search for a missing person outside.
Hard to believe but keeps happening. I've been in the desert in that heat and it's like standing in front of the oven with the door open. Phoenix is the desert and everyone knows it. It's crazy.

No stranger than these disappearances ?

David Wolstenhulme - Serifos - missing​

David Wolstenhulme, 69, disappeared on Friday, June 25, 2021 on the Greek island of Serifos. The Yorkshireman had travelled there with his wife Heide and set off ready for a morning hike on the day he mysteriously vanished.

He said that he would be back at the hotel by around 5pm - but he was never seen again. His wife believes he could have fallen down a sinkhole.

Roger Bainbridge - Antipaxos - missing​

Roger Bainbridge disappeared on September 30, 2013, while holidaying on the tiny island of Antipaxos, Greece. He had made a day trip from the neighbouring island of Paxos, where his sister lived. The 67-year-old man, from Kendal, Cumbria, passed by other walkers on his hike.

A search party scoured the two square miles of the island but failed to uncover any traces of him. A month later, when Cumbria Police sent out two officers to help with the local search, still nothing was found. Roger Bainbridge vanished on a day trip
None of these "missings" surprise me. All you'd have to do is crawl into some shade to get away from the sun, and you'd never be seen again.

Just because it’s hot the sun cannot make people vanish. Yes it can kill but not make disappear. Like the 2 missing French ladies on Sikinos, the sun may of killed them or a fall but not made them disappear. It’s extremely odd that one of the ladies S.O.S text to the hotelier was 2 days after they went missing . I certainly feel something else maybe at play and is reason Albert also disappeared but I think Greek officials will not get to the bottom of anything to protect tourism.
JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back