Anderson Cooper Comes Out

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm coming out in this thread as a heterosexual woman. And, as a heterosexual woman, I am a little disappointed that Anderson Cooper has come out of the closet. I always had a tiny amount of hope that he was straight and would want to marry me.

wow, what a surprise...kidding.

I LOVE me some Anderson Cooper. I think he is a very classy, intelligent human being. Has anyone seen him on Andy Cohen's show? He gets so silly and adorable. He seems like someone you would want to hang out with.

I'm coming out in this thread as a heterosexual woman. And, as a heterosexual woman, I am a little disappointed that Anderson Cooper has come out of the closet. I always had a tiny amount of hope that he was straight and would want to marry me.

Me too.

I remember years ago when someone told me AC was gay I was really disappointed, lol, like I would have had a chance... There is something attractive about him.

I believe it matters that Anderson Cooper finally declared he is gay because the visibility of such individuals is central to true equality for the LGBT community. Until true equality is won, it is an important announcement, even though some or even many or most may have surmised that AC is gay.

Anderson Cooper is first and foremost a well-respected American journalist, not simply another Hollywood celebrity, actor, musician or singer. As such, I'm not interested in much more of the details of his personal life.

His so-called announcement was matter-of-fact. It's not the 90s or early 2000s. Perhaps, someday in the future, there will be no need for an announcement. Yet, there was no longer a good enough reason for AC to hide it. Because it was done in such a matter-of-fact style, AC leads the path to such announcements being unnecessary in the future, but IMO, not now. I applaud him. I believe it was necessary.

Sad that people have to 'announce' that they are gay. I love Anderson and don't care about his orientation, just his program.

I agree but they do. Here's why:
1. Gay kids still get bullied to death. They still kill themselves after being rejected by their families and friends. Knowing that someone who is famous and seems happy is also gay, can be a huge help.
2. People still harbor ridiculous prejudices based on ludicrous stereotypes or misinformation, about gay people. Learning that one more person they are familiar with, or know, who seems like a nice, normal person is, indeed, gay, helps slowly erode prejudice and ignorance.
3. Refusing to answer the question or evading answering can make people think the person's sexual identity is something they fear or are ashamed of which supports prejudice and feelings of hopelessness in gay kids.

Yeah, I knew Anderson Cooper is gay. (Surprisingly, though, many people didn't know!). He never hid it. He just never felt he had to directly answer it because he didn't feel it was relevant to anything.

But, he began to feel that failing to respond would make people think he felt he had to hide that part of himself, or that he was ashamed. That's why he finally answered.

It really wasn't a big announcement though, just a simple response in an e-mail. It was a decision. I'm glad he made it.

In other news, does everyone know that he is the Poor Little Rich Girl's son? He is the son of Gloria Vanderbilt, who was the subject of one of the most intense child custody battles in the world, and heir to Gilded Age fortunes. I find that a trip!

Naaaaaaah, reallyyyy... who wouldve thunk it! lol

Who didn't know, that it had to be announced? Surely he didn't think he had a secret.

I thought everyone already knew! I had no idea he never actually admitted to it! But, based on comments I have seen on CNN, yahoo, etc., lots of people didn't know!

AC is one of the coolest people on the planet IMHO. Since he's the son of Gloria Vanderbilt I'd assume he could have been a trust fund baby like Paris Hilton. Instead he decided to work and he's done a great job with building his career. He's also brave;

CNN Reporter saves kid on Haiti - YouTube

So, people do know who his mom is! I thought I was one of the only ones.

Man, his work In Haiti was intense and incredible. It really made me admire him. I didn't know much about him before that but his reporting, the compassion and persistence, when everyone else kind of went home and didn't seem to give a da#n, really impressed me. He is a good human being.

This is hardly the big news that the media wants it to be, most people figured that and it is no longer a big deal.

It has always been my belief that whatever someone does in the privacy of their sex life is not my business and I am not interested in judging anyone for it. Whether you like men, women, like it mild or like it wild, it isn't my business. As long as you keep it legal and no one gets hurt, I'm fine with it.

I think Anderson is just awesome. He has a great personality, gorgeous blue eyes and a crazy giggle that I love. I love it when he gets so tickled about a story he is reporting (such as Courtney Stodden's bizarre facial contortions) that he gets the giggles like a lil kid.

His laugh cracks me up too! Totally like a little kid and it's just infectious!

I believe it matters that Anderson Cooper finally declared he is gay because the visibility of such individuals is central to true equality for the LGBT community. Until true equality is won, it is an important announcement, even though some or even many or most may have surmised that AC is gay.

Anderson Cooper is first and foremost a well-respected American journalist, not simply another Hollywood celebrity, actor, musician or singer. As such, I'm not interested in much more of the details of his personal life.

His so-called announcement was matter-of-fact. It's not the 90s or early 2000s. Perhaps, someday in the future, there will be no need for an announcement. Yet, there was no longer a good enough reason for AC to hide it. Because it was done in such a matter-of-fact style, AC leads the path to such announcements being unnecessary in the future, but IMO, not now. I applaud him. I believe it was necessary.

What a great post. You said it perfectly.

BTW, I love websleuths. You guys all rock.

I agree but they do. Here's why:
1. Gay kids still get bullied to death. They still kill themselves after being rejected by their families and friends. Knowing that someone who is famous and seems happy is also gay, can be a huge help.
2. People still harbor ridiculous prejudices based on ludicrous stereotypes or misinformation, about gay people. Learning that one more person they are familiar with, or know, who seems like a nice, normal person is, indeed, gay, helps slowly erode prejudice and ignorance.
3. Refusing to answer the question or evading answering can make people think the person's sexual identity is something they fear or are ashamed of which supports prejudice and feelings of hopelessness in gay kids.

Yeah, I knew Anderson Copper is gay. (Surprisingly, though, many people didn't know!). He never hid it. He just never felt he had to directly answer it because he didn't feel it was relevant to anything.

But, he began to feel that failing to respond would make people think he felt he had to hide that part of himself, or that he was ashamed. That's why he finally answered.

It really wasn't a big announcement though, just a simple response in an e-mail. It was a decision. I'm glad he made it.

In other news, does everyone know that he is the Poor Little Rich Girl's son? He is the son of Gloria Vanderbilt, who was the subject of one of the most intense child custody battles in the world, and heir to Gilded Age fortunes. I find that a trip!

He talks fondly of his mother on his show. To this very day, it's her line of jeans that I love best, for casual wear.

He talks fondly of his mother on his show. To this very day, it's her line of jeans that I love best, for casual wear.

AC's mother GV and Kathy Griffin get along really well. AC can't believe it. He was on David Letterman and related this story and then he related it again when he was on Kathy Griffin's talk show.

He let Kathy Griffin stay in his NY apartment and she was at his place while he was doing a live CNN broadcast and she started texting him naked pictures of herself on his furniture. :giggle:

KG didn't like his place because he doesn't have any servants.

One shouldn't have to announce whether you're straight or gay.

I love Anderson Cooper and his afternoon show (here in North Texas) that's in the time slot just before where Oprah used to be. He's my new Oprah!

Hmmm, I'm getting new found respect for Kathy Griffin. She's in this topic and also in the TC/Katie one telling us how she sees it.

Maybe he was just tired of women hitting on him!!

I agree that no person should have to announce their sexual preferences. Heck, no one should need to know unless you are lovers. However, as gitana pointed out there are still a lot of people with ridiculous prejudices out there. Some of the clubs here still have an off duty police officer on the payroll b.c of bashing.

Prejudices of any sort will never end, unfortunately. The more mainstream and common a concept is is thought to reduce prejudices, but really, it does not.

I wish Mr. Cooper the best.

I agree that no person should have to announce their sexual preferences. Heck, no one should need to know unless you are lovers. However, as gitana pointed out there are still a lot of people with ridiculous prejudices out there. Some of the clubs here still have an off duty police officer on the payroll b.c of bashing.

Prejudices of any sort will never end, unfortunately. The more mainstream and common a concept is is thought to reduce prejudices, but really, it does not.

And his announcement changes what exactly?

I'm still trying to figure out why we all (me, included) are shocked or surprised by this. (Not so much that he's gay, but that it matters). I mean, do we go around asking about the sexual preferences (or favorite positions, whatever), or heterosexuals?

I guess the whole mystique of it all (why we wonder about these things) fascinates me. :)

I read his book when it was published "Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival". It's a great read. He doesn't address his orientation in that book because it's not the focus of the book.

But he does talk about his brother's suicide. It is very touching because he says there is no such thing as closure. That you just learn to live with the pain. (his Mother says this too). When you read his book you can pick up an undercurrent that comes through in his voice on the pages. It's not melancholic or particularily sad, but it is wisftul and adds a depth to his soul that isn't shown in his public persona. It's a depth of character we see when someone has experienced a profound grief.

I admire Anderson for those things although I do not watch his show. If he felt the need to stand up and be counted then by all means I congratulate him. But, as for me, his orientation and who he choses to love is--- not only none of my business--- but has absolutely no bearing on the content of his character.

I think true equality will arrive when people don't have to "come out" and when someone finds out they don't care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back