Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For anyone from Germany reading here: German TV documentary Channel „Kabel 1 Doku“ cancelled their regular program and run a „In memory of Anthony Bourdain“ special today.

Tonight (Sunday) on CNN: Parts Unknown: Berlin (new episode, current season) 9:00 and Remembering Anthony Bourdain (CNN tribute) at 10:00PM.
Thank you Bette.

I watched last night and will soak in parts unknown tonight.

I hope CNN will continue run Parts Unknown on Sunday's.

I know I can't get enough of Anthony Bourdain.

I love him, and I miss him..

Xoxo

Why mental health advocates use the words 'died by suicide'
By changing the way we speak, we remove the culpability from the person who has lost their life.

With the news this week of the deaths of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, reactions and commentary are pouring in on social media. People who never met them are grasping for answers as to why these icons could meet such a tragic end. Specifically they may be asking, “How could they do this?” It’s a common question in the aftermath of a suicide that, though typically innocent in nature, is loaded with crucial misunderstandings about suicide and, in some cases, mental illness...

Why mental health advocates use the words 'died by suicide'

The slow boat entrance into the dragon mountains, in Vietnam, accompanied by James Bond music...

Who ever thought that up was genius, IMO.

You only live twice. Nancy Sinatra

Last edited:
The Pain & Privilege Of Traveling With Anthony Bourdain
The Pain & Privilege Of Traveling With Anthony Bourdain

Bourdain was as frank with himself as he was with the subjects he reported on. He has called himself much worse things than his critics have levied on him. He was his own harshest critic. Which is why he must have instinctively felt that the pain that’s necessary to travel and tell other people’s stories was a sign of his own weakness. But it’s clear that he later realized that pain was only part of the journey to empathy and edification. He writes in his book, No Reservations: Around the World on an Empty Stomach: “Travel isn't always pretty. It isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that's okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”

BARKING
The moon comes up. The moon goes down. This is to inform you that I didn’t die young. Age swept past me but I caught up. Spring has begun here and each day brings new birds up from Mexico. Yesterday I got a call from the outside world but I said no in thunder. I was a dog on a short chain and now there’s no chain.

full article at the link above

The current season (11) of Parts Unknown has eight episodes including West Virginia, Newfoundland, Uruguay, Armenia, Bhutan, Berlin, U.S. Cajun Country, and Hong Kong. Four episodes have already aired, and Berlin is featured tonight. Previous episodes from this season are available on-demand (Comcast). DH and I have found DVDs of No Reservations at local library (free rental), as well as episodes of Parts Unknown that we might have missed. Library doesn't have Cook's Tour, but it's available for purchase.

<modsnip>.My sympathies go to his loved ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched some of Tony's shows on the Travel channel today. It's very hard for me to believe he's really gone. At times he made me angry, I vowed I'd never watch him again. Now I wish I could and this whole thing was only a bad dream.

Anthony Bourdain and Asia Argento had an open relationship so Asia spent the weekend before Anthony committed suicide with Hugo Clement. People have blamed her for Tony's suicide but she denies it. Her friend, Rose McGowan urges people not to blame Asia for Tony's suicide in a letter to the media. McGowan described Bourdain’s suicide as his own “horrible choice” and wrote that “his depression won” in the heart-wrenching letter.

Rose McGowan urges people not to blame Asia Argento for Anthony Bourdain’s suicide - World | The Star Online

Anthony Bourdain Hadn't Finalized Divorce with Ottavia Busia — and Said He and Asia Argento Would Never Get Married

Although Anthony Bourdain and his estranged wife Ottavia Busia separated in 2016, their divorce was not finalized before his sudden death last Friday.

According to sources, Bourdain’s remains will be transported to the United States for his funeral without delay as soon as his next of kin makes their wishes known to authorities. Since their divorce was not finalized, Busia, who is mom to their daughter Ariane, 11, is still legally his next of kin...

Anthony Bourdain Hadn't Finalized Divorce with Ex Ottavia Busia — and Said He and Asia Argento Would Never Get Married

Anthony Bourdain's body is stuck in France delaying his family's plans for a funeral.

But his family is still waiting for the French government to allow his body to be flown back to the United States for burial, his mother told the New York Post.

'They won't be shipping his remains back for a couple of days because of formalities,' Gladys Bourdain told the paper.

Rocquigny said toxicology tests were being carried out on Bourdain's body, including urine tests, to see if he took any medications or other drugs, in an effort to help his family understand if anything led him to kill himself.

Anthony Bourdain's body 'is stuck in France due to red tape' | Daily Mail Online

It's so sad when a parent suicides and leaves a young child without a father.

The celebrity chef wrote in his 2016 cookbook Appetites, “Fatherhood has been an enormous relief, as I am now genetically, instinctually compelled to care more about someone other than myself. I like being a father. No, I love being a father. Everything about it.”

Anthony Bourdain’s estranged wife, Ottavia Busia, shared a heart-wrenching message about their daughter, Ariane, days after the TV personality’s death.

“Our little girl had her concert today. She was amazing. So strong and brave,” Busia captioned an Instagram photo on Monday, June 11, of the 11-year-old performing on stage at DROM in New York City. “She wore the boots you bought her. I hope you are having a good trip, wherever you are.”

Anthony Bourdain’s Estranged Wife Shares Photo of Their Daughter

Some members of Websleuths may recall fellow WSer Katiecoolady and her reports to us from the Jodi Arias trial. I subscribe to her blog, and I was quite moved by what she wrote this week in response to Anthony Bourdain’s death and pleas in the media to #reachout. She is a former psychiatric nurse who has experience with family members who suffer. This is the relevant snippet, but the whole post is well worth reading....it’s called “Reach In.”

Expecting someone experiencing the throes of that kind of immobilized, pervasive symptomology–to rail against it completely and be able to reach out– is akin to asking someone in the throes of a full blown myocardial infarction to begin CPR on themself.

There is so much more than these trite “reminders” or “admonitions” to suicidal people to “reach out”. I think more has to be educated to THE REST OF US, to reach in. How to do it, what to say, when to intervene, how to intervene.

Reach In #reachin

Some members of Websleuths may recall fellow WSer Katiecoolady and her reports to us from the Jodi Arias trial. I subscribe to her blog, and I was quite moved by what she wrote this week in response to Anthony Bourdain’s death and pleas in the media to #reachout. She is a former psychiatric nurse who has experience with family members who suffer. This is the relevant snippet, but the whole post is well worth reading....it’s called “Reach In.”

Expecting someone experiencing the throes of that kind of immobilized, pervasive symptomology–to rail against it completely and be able to reach out– is akin to asking someone in the throes of a full blown myocardial infarction to begin CPR on themself.

There is so much more than these trite “reminders” or “admonitions” to suicidal people to “reach out”. I think more has to be educated to THE REST OF US, to reach in. How to do it, what to say, when to intervene, how to intervene.

Reach In #reachin

So, someone is not feeling suicidal, but you ignore their denials and drag them to emergency? Hopefully your relationship will survive this.

So, someone is not feeling suicidal, but you ignore their denials and drag them to emergency? Hopefully your relationship will survive this.

I have no idea how you got that from that post. That post was very clearly advocating for people to reach out to others and not expect that people in mental health crises will reach out. Nobody said anything about forcing anyone to do anything. I don't understand the venom.

Ah, the beautifully rich tapestry of Detroit's history.

Anthony Bourdain genuinely engaged himself with the culture, wherever he was.

Excerpt from the link (below):

"Bourdain also called being from Detroit a "status symbol."

"It implies something. You come from a place where all of this great music and all these great cars, and all of these great, cool things [are from]," he said. "I'd love to be able to say that I came from Detroit. That would be like the coolest thing I could ever say."

Anthony Bourdain loved Detroit, called it beautiful and magnificent

I am from Detroit and I love this.....what a great loss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TacoPanda
Back