April 29 weekend of Sleuthiness

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please allow me to once again apologize for my grammatical incorrectness. My last post was not meant to say I am good with grammar, spelling or punctuation. It meant to say the opposite, I am mathematician with an advanced degree in applied mathematics. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are something I leave up to my personal assistant. So sorry I was not trying to say I am good those, to be truthful I am the antithesis of those things. Several of you have seen fit to send me private messages regarding this, please save your criticism, I know. My posts are logical and I only consider things that statistical and logical. Have a great day, sorry for the confusion.

Please allow me to once again apologize for my grammatical incorrectness. My last post was not meant to say I am good with grammar, spelling or punctuation. It meant to say the opposite, I am mathematician with an advanced degree in applied mathematics. Spelling, grammar and punctuation are something I leave up to my personal assistant. So sorry I was not trying to say I am good those, to be truthful I am the antithesis of those things. Several of you have seen fit to send me private messages regarding this, please save your criticism, I know. My posts are logical and I only consider things that statistical and logical. Have a great day, sorry for the confusion.

You're doing just fine, madam or sir. Just keep plugging away, and posting in your concise logical manner. Thanks for your efforts.

I don't read typos, incorrect verb usage, etc. in posts and would never call somebody out about them. I understand that most people are typing quickly--as I do--and trying to get their thoughts down in a timely manner. I have made my share of mistakes.
I am in awe of anybody who can do math. Is that the right or left side of the brain.
Anyhow, we welcome your thoughts on this case. There are always people who disagree with nearly each post but I am not opposed to anybody having a different view than my own--sometimes I need a good poke to see things in a different light.

I think you mean:

"How many times do we have a super-duper computer whiz ALLEDGEDLY murder his wife and use computers/routers/VOIP, etc., as part of his MO.

I'm not on the jury, please don't attempt to change the meaning of my posts. I said what *I* believe. MOO

Ok we are thinking along the same lines. Which means with this scenario I can add an OR

OR

He connected the laptop to the LAN which previously had the IP address of the 3285 statically mapped in the router, got the duplicate IP address error, reconfigured his IP and went about his business. The 3825 wasn't really there but the IP address was and the MAC was still in the ARP table.
But in the ARP cache of what? The laptop? ARP cache entries age in minutes, not days or months. If the 3285 was no longer there, it couldn't have sent out a gratuitous ARP. I can't really think of a scenario where the 3825 IP/MAC mapping could have become known to the laptop if the 3825 was not there.

:twocents:

I think I might just take a pass on this one, RN. :( The Moderator said I said something negative about other posters. I can't recall what it was I said, as I've been trying to just ignore those that tend to upset me, for lack of a better word. I'd really been trying to ignore so much, especially this past few days. I'm pretty much afraid to say anything right about now. :(

Aww, I hope you do answer soon. I don't understand why the mods deleted your post either. I haven't ever noticed you say negative things about those who disagree with you.

I did once get one of my posts snipped for using a word which the mods felt was "bad"....I didn't really think it was a bad word. It happens to the best of us, no worries!

But in the ARP cache of what? The laptop? ARP cache entries age in minutes, not days or months. If the 3285 was no longer there, it couldn't have sent out a gratuitous ARP. I can't really think of a scenario where the 3825 IP/MAC mapping could have become known to the laptop if the 3825 was not there.

:twocents:

I meant on the router or switch that was providing the LAN between the laptop and the 3285.

I guess the whole scenario is not making much sense to me. There shouldn't have been any need to connect the 3285 to a LAN unless he didn't have a console cable and had to use the LAN to communicate via telnet or ssh with the router.

If he was communicating with the router using telnet or ssh there would be a distinct data trail. Entries in the CSA log, on the switch, on the other router if he accessed remotely on TWC network, etc.

It should either be a one benign event log entry anomaly or plenty of data trail to follow.

I meant on the router or switch that was providing the LAN between the laptop and the 3285.
Ah, ok. Not saying that it's impossible, but, I still see no reason that such a device would blurt out ARP info for a device that was no longer there. Some devices do gratuitous ARPs, but it's of their own address, not someone else's.

I guess the whole scenario is not making much sense to me. There shouldn't have been any need to connect the 3285 to a LAN unless he didn't have a console cable and had to use the LAN to communicate via telnet or ssh with the router.

If he was communicating with the router using telnet or ssh there would be a distinct data trail. Entries in the CSA log, on the switch, on the other router if he accessed remotely on TWC network, etc.

It should either be a one benign event log entry anomaly or plenty of data trail to follow.

I know nothing about this router stuff so I'm glad some of you here are able to talk it through. I'm just reading the posts here and trying to make sense of at least a tiny bit of this.

I'm very anxious for Monday to arrive to see what this is all about. And to think I actually thought for a minute I would have a free weekend not obsessing over this trial:).

It should be interesting.

Well, when PG (Cisco VoIP expert) was on the stand, Zell had put the equipment that was seized from the house up in front of him and left it there. When Howie questioned him, he asked PG if he had been asked to look at logs from any of that equipment. He said that he didn't know about the TWC box, but none of the other devices had logs other than in-memory logging that would be lost at power-down.

That was when Howie pulled some Zell-esque slight-of-hand by repeating "so you didn't look at logs on any of these devices?" PG said "no". Well, that's technically true but it was because there were no logs to look at.

Anyway, point is, it seems like the only places that there might have been any tracking info available is on the router (which is MIA) or the laptop. I'm not sure that a telnet session is necessarily logged on the laptop in some way but can try it later to see.

I don't know that I"d base my vote on this one case. How many times do we have a super-duper computer whiz murder his wife and use computers/routers/VOIP, etc., as part of his MO. All of this new technology takes time and money to train and purchase equipment, etc. for their employees. Much like the attorney's of today have learned DNA technology, upcoming lawyers and members of LE will become better in the technology of the digital world IMO. The economy of these last eight years left little room for the money it takes to hire more people and educate them. Even with DNA, we don't have the money to keep up with the many samples needing to be tested still.

Thanks for your insight. I suppose how you would vote in Willoughby's next election also depends on which side of the fence you are on.

If BC is found G, I can't imagine voting for Willoughby. Unless he were to say "We knew BC was guilty for certain based on xyz evidence which is inadmissible in court, so we did our best with the evidence which was allowed". But I can't imagine that to be the case.

If BC is found NG, I'd really like to see exactly what Willoughby says to the public. Most importantly, I'd want to hear him say immediately that the case of NC's murder is open, unsolved and still actively being investigated.

JMO.

It was from the time the house was secured, at which time everything was in CPDs custody until the search warrant was served and then for an additional 12 or so hours after the search warrant was served the computer remained on. The total time it was in the custody of the CPD until it was turned off was 27 hours and the FBI was not even aware that the evidence had not been properly handled. The point being the CPD had custody of all the items from the time that they secured the house, anything disturbed or changed after that is on their hands.

Apparently no CPD "computer-seizure-authorized" person (whatever the term is, so excuse my terminology) was in the home or available at the time the house was seized and secured. So they had to let it remain in whatever condition it was at the time. Or this was their normal SOP. If this was discussed, I've forgotten it, and please forgive.

Maybe this was a CPD oversight or those persons were not on duty or were on another case or were on vacation or were on the moon at the time, but no one there was duly authorized to even unplug the power cord and remove the battery (or, heaven forbid, we could have problems such as the NC phone problem, Lions & Tigers & Bears, oh my!!). That is a very good reason the computer was left as is.

Oh, this whole thing was devastating. I think one thing we can all agree on here is that we all want justice for Nancy.

But since I think BC is innocent, I want justice for him too. The thought of an innocent man sitting in prison for 2 1/2 years and losing his kids is very sad.
Yes, this whole thing was devastating.
Since I think BC is guilty, I want justice for Nancy, the girls and the Rentz's.
The thought of a guilty man walking is very sad.

Yes, this whole thing was devastating.
Since I think BC is guilty, I want justice for Nancy, the girls and the Rentz's.
The thought of a guilty man walking is very sad.

You don't expect that to happen though, right?

No need for apologies, I thought your post was great! I was able to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtmarvin