April 8th wknd of Sleuthing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it matters a lot since the main gist of the story her friends tell over in over is that she was so upset because she didn't have access to money and didn't have her name on any accounts so she was trapped. If you choose not to open your own account that is not the same as being controlled and trapped.

And perhaps Nancy was hoarding money and didn't want Brad to have a way to a) take the money or b) know how much she had. Bank accounts leave paper trails and he already had a stranglehold (so to speak) on all her private matters between herself, her friends, and most importantly her attorney. I think it's reasonable to think she didn't want money sitting in a bank that Brad could track and demand to be returned to the family "pot." I think we'll never know if she had managed to save any money because we all know Brad ended up with all her personal affects.

I think it matters a lot since the main gist of the story her friends tell over in over is that she was so upset because she didn't have access to money and didn't have her name on any accounts so she was trapped. If you choose not to open your own account that is not the same as being controlled and trapped.

Banks do require certain balances, most want direct deposits a minimum of twice monthly, there are fees to maintain an account etc. Banks are not the friendly local business they once were. Possibly a credit union would have worked but that would have likely been through Cisco. IMO

July 12 afternoon it's a missing person's case. No reason to ask for shoes worn at Harris Teeter. (Those shoes were gone by then anyway, probably in a dumpster). Asking for his shoes would be premature since no one had any idea a body had been dumped in the first place.

July 15 afternoon body is ID'd, search warrant received, crime tape goes up. Search for items is now on. Any shoes found are fair game for seizure by police. Alas it was too late as the shoes worn on the first trip to HT have been thrown out days before.

July 12 afternoon it's a missing person's case. No reason to ask for shoes worn at Harris Teeter. (Those shoes were gone by then anyway, probably in a dumpster). Asking for his shoes would be premature since no one had any idea a body had been dumped in the first place.

July 15 afternoon body is ID'd, search warrant received, crime tape goes up. Search for items is now on. Any shoes found are fair game for seizure by police. Alas it was too late as the shoes worn on the first trip to HT have been thrown out days before.

Wow. So the assumption is that he disposed of the shoes, so don't even bother to ask for them? Does that sound like thorough police work?

My question though is - why did CPD send the shoes he wore on his searches to be analyzed for soil samples to compare to Fielding Drive soil and spend 3 hours with the expert presenting the data? Why did they do that?

And perhaps Nancy was hoarding money and didn't want Brad to have a way to a) take the money or b) know how much she had. Bank accounts leave paper trails and he already had a stranglehold (so to speak) on all her private matters between herself, her friends, and most importantly her attorney. I think it's reasonable to think she didn't want money sitting in a bank that Brad could track and demand to be returned to the family "pot." I think we'll never know if she had managed to save any money because we all know Brad ended up with all her personal affects.

You know, reading your post just reminded me of what I did way back about 25 years ago during my separation and divorce stuff...I had a girlfriend who had the same first name open a Saving account that could be accessed via ATM...I gave her a few hundred bucks, she opened account with that then gave me the access card with the pin...and voila..I could acces cash! It really helped when settlements were made...and "His majesty" didnt have any access to that..I wasnt receiving alimoy, nor support for my 2 boyz, and I didnt want to have to support yet another Boy...namely my X!!

Maybe, possibly NC had such an account, that she had those funds in?..I recall one of the friends testify that at the "Party" they had for her, they gave her cash instead of gifts because they knew she needed that..Maybe thats where the money came from for her final trip with her family!! Who knows..Just applying something that was a possibility..I am pretty sure Brad never gave her $700.00,,We havent even heard why they came up with that number either???..

BTW..Good Morning Good Folks:seeya:

Indeed, Madeleine74. Within 24 hours. BC may hardly have expected the escalation of NC's absence to officially become a MP by noon, July 12.

Ditto - with you there, too. His shoes were long gone. Along with his clothes, whatever he wrapped NC in, mopped/cleaned up with, VOIP card and perhaps even her undergarments from that night. (After "dutifully" doing the laundry, BC may have claimed any fresh underwear was last worn by NC).

Indeed, Madeleine74. Within 24 hours. BC may hardly have expected the escalation of NC's absence to officially become a MP by noon, July 12.

Ditto - with you there, too. His shoes were long gone. Along with his clothes, whatever he wrapped NC in, mopped/cleaned up with, VOIP card and perhaps even her undergarments from that night. (After "dutifully" doing the laundry, BC may have claimed any fresh underwear was last worn by NC).

Just to add on to what you guys are saying, that by July 15th, Brad had lawyered up as well. By the time Nancy was Id'd, he already knew that the house contents, vehicles were going to be seized..and Not so sure he volunteered much helpful info from that point foreward?? They may have asked him about those shoes, and all he said, what was there in the house is whats there...Not so sure the police knew at that point what brand those shoes were either, just dark colour deck type shoes..

Defense strives to prove this was a rush to judgement. The fact that they didn't get BC's clothes, shoes, etc. confirms this was a missing persons case and investigated as a missing persons case. Defense can't have it both ways.

How could it be a short sale - I thought testimony the other day said the owed $190 on the mortgage?

I thought murders always had to be disclosed in a realty contract?

No idea about the details, just know what it sold for. There was a large second mortgage too.

As I said, a Realtor stated the NC real estate disclosure law does not require revelation a murder occurred in the home.

How could it be a short sale - I thought testimony the other day said the owed $190 on the mortgage?

I thought murders always had to be disclosed in a realty contract?

It has not been proven murder took place IN the home at 104 Wallsburg....YET.

Banks do require certain balances, most want direct deposits a minimum of twice monthly, there are fees to maintain an account etc. Banks are not the friendly local business they once were. Possibly a credit union would have worked but that would have likely been through Cisco. IMO
FWIW, there are 12 options for non-student , non-senior, no minimum balance checking accounts for the Raleigh area (including non-branch / Internet accounts).

BTW, if you are looking for an account, the Charles Schwab one is great. I have it as one of my accounts. You get an ATM card that you can use at pretty much any ATM in the world and any transactions fees for the ATM are reimbursed by Schwab.

Wow. So the assumption is that he disposed of the shoes, so don't even bother to ask for them? Does that sound like thorough police work?

My question though is - why did CPD send the shoes he wore on his searches to be analyzed for soil samples to compare to Fielding Drive soil and spend 3 hours with the expert presenting the data? Why did they do that?

Det. Young was asked "Were those shoes EVER found." Answer: "No, sir." They searched the house and looked at all shoes. They were not there.

Defense strives to prove this was a rush to judgement. The fact that they didn't get BC's clothes, shoes, etc. confirms this was a missing persons case and investigated as a missing persons case. Defense can't have it both ways.

Once it turned into a murder investigation, why didn't they ask him which shoes he was wearing at HT?

They can't claim there are missing shoes if they never even asked for them. He cooperated fully with police. It could have cleared things up. At least we would know which shoes he claimed to be wearing and the those shoes could have been analyzed by forensics. But to just take a random pair of shoes that he clearly wore for searches and send them for testing is just pure incompetence.

Det. Young was asked "Were those shoes EVER found." Answer: "No, sir." They searched the house and looked at all shoes. They were not there.

He was also asked if they ever looked or asked for those shoes, or even NOTED their absence prior to trial testimony. And he also answered "no sir" to that as well.

He also was asked, "did you ever ask him for the shoes he wore to HT?" and he said No.

He said himself he was unable to make out the specifics of the shoes from the HT video. Remember, he couldn't even see that there were no mud prints on the floor of HT?

Can we talk about BC's muddy shoes? Det. Young did not even bother to ask BC for the shoes he wore on the HT trips. Why?

Then, BC searched for NC with others the days before she was found. Young confirmed that he witnessed the search on the 14th. On the 16th CPD took the very shoes he wore on the searches to be analyzed for soil composition. The soil samples were taken from Fielding, as well as an area close to where BC was searching. Then the state did a big discussion of the soil evidence and of course, it was all meaningless since they didn't even analyze (or ask for) the shoes in question.

Do you recall the results of the MICA found at the site where NC's body was found?

FWIW, there are 12 options for non-student , non-senior, no minimum balance checking accounts for the Raleigh area (including non-branch / Internet accounts).

BTW, if you are looking for an account, the Charles Schwab one is great. I have it as one of my accounts. You get an ATM card that you can use at pretty much any ATM in the world and any transactions fees for the ATM are reimbursed by Schwab.

And any of those 12 options would have been fair game for Brad to say it was "joint" property/funds. He could have - in a separation and divorce and division of property - and probably would have received half of whatever Nancy placed in that account. Imagine asking her parents for $10,000 to assist in getting out of the house and into some other arrangement. Brad's attorneys come along and say oh, half of that is fair game for division of property. I wouldn't have asked my family and friends to put money in a bank account that Brad Cupper would have been able to take. I've typed many many depositions for separations/divorce and division of property. The attorneys go back through at the very least the last ten years and require all bank accounts, retirement accounts, mutual funds, any and all money accounts and go over balances. Any money she put in a bank account would have led to BC "controlling" her once again by getting his grubs on it - even if she had lived and it went 3, 4, 5 years before division of property was settled. It wouldn't have helped in the long run to have money in the bank to move out - it would have only served to hurt NC. I would be surprised if AS didn't tell her this.

He was also asked if they ever looked or asked for those shoes, or even NOTED their absence prior to trial testimony. And he also answered "no sir" to that as well.

Since they catalogued what was found - and the shoes were not catalogued stands to reason they were not there. And he couldn't ASK BC for anything after he lawyered up. I believe that was his testimony also.

Once it turned into a murder investigation, why didn't they ask him which shoes he was wearing at HT?

They can't claim there are missing shoes if they never even asked for them. He cooperated fully with police. It could have cleared things up. At least we would know which shoes he claimed to be wearing and the those shoes could have been analyzed by forensics. But to just take a random pair of shoes that he clearly wore for searches and send them for testing is just pure incompetence.

So where are the shoes now that his life hangs in the balance?

No idea about the details, just know what it sold for. There was a large second mortgage too.

As I said, a Realtor stated the NC real estate disclosure law does not require revelation a murder occurred in the home.
The kind of interesting thing is that the home sold for $105/sf. If you look at the historical price/sf for Lochmere, that is not dramatically lower than the average for that time frame. So, it didn't get a huge crime scene discount.

I would be stunned if the buyer was unaware of the history of the home. If I were buying a short sale, I'd do some digging about it before making an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member