AR AR - Shannon Collins, military veteran, wife did not report him missing, Pottsville, 12 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
The Pope County Sheriff’s Office is still seeking any information on the Missing Military Veteran Shannon Collins. Collins mother, father, brother and sister are fully cooperating with the Pope County Sheriff’s Office to find Shannon. Those family members have asked for the public’s help in locating Shannon.

Tomorrow will mark one year since Shannon was last seen. According to his wife, Shannon walked away from their home in Pottsville in the morning hours of March 12th, 2021. Nine months later Shannon was reported missing by his brother who lives out of state. There have been no confirmed sightings of him since that date.

Due to suspicious circumstances surrounding this case, foul play has not yet been ruled out. If you have any information on the disappearance of Shannon Collins you are asked to contact the Pope County Sheriff’s Office at 479-968-2558.

275571093_329605302527788_7374657169217898031_n.jpg

275577835_329605355861116_6805943380555859230_n.jpg

Deputies: Pope County veteran missing for nearly 1 year | KARK

What's her story?

AFAIK -- didn't request a restraining order, didn't file for divorce, didn't report him missing.

Wonder about vehicle insurance, premium paid or policy cancelled/dropped?

Articles indicate that his family members -- parents, sibs -- are cooperating with LE, no mention of the wife.

Certainly curious, imho.

jmho ymmv lrr

Pope County Sheriff's Office still searching for missing military veteran

According to his wife, Shannon Collins, 49, was last seen walking from his Pottsville, Ark. home on the morning of March 12, 2021.

Collins was reported missing by his brother late last year in November.

Due to the suspicious circumstances surrounding this case, foul play has not been ruled out.

5655DMAR - Shannon lee Collins

5655DMAR - Shannon Lee Collins
5655DMAR.jpg

Name: Shannon Lee Collins
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 12, 2021
Location Last Seen: Pottsville, Pope County, Arkansas

Physical Description
Date of Birth: November 1 1972
Race: White / Caucasian
Height: 5'8" - 5'10"
Weight: 220 - 240 lbs
Hair Color: Brown.
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
On 11-29-2021 Shannon Collins brother reported that he nor his family had seen or spoken with his brother since February of 2021. Investigators went to Shannon's home in Pottsville, AR and made contact with his wife who stated that Shannon had left on foot on 3-12-2021. She also stated that she and her son and daughter have been in phone contact with Shannon. To this date no other family member has had any contact with him.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP87814

Date of Last Contact
March 12, 2021
NamUs Case Created
January 6, 2022

Last Known Location (Map)
County
Pope County

Missing From Tribal Land
Yes
Primary Residence on Tribal Land
--
Circumstances of Disappearance
On 11-29-2021 person reporting that he and his family had not seen or spoken to his brother Shannon Collins since February of 2021.

21 years of service?
Was he a retired veteran?
He walked off vs drove away? Is that normal for him? If he was retired and did not change the account in which his retirement pay (if applicable) was being deposited, that makes things look worse for the wife.

Though, nothing makes one look worse than NEVER reporting their husband as missing.
Liar liar, I believe her pants are indeed on fire.

Shannon-Lee-Collins-2.jpg

He’s 49 years old. Could the son and daughter he’s supposedly in contact with be adults? Possibly. If they have been in contact, they should willingly offer info to LE. If they’re kids, their phones are owned by either Shannon or his wife most likely, and they should be turned over to LE too. But I doubt anyone is in contact with him because he’s likely deceased. Imo

I do wonder how his military retirement works though. Usually it continues for the rest of the service members life. So far no proof he’s not alive so the money keeps coming every month.

He’s 49 years old. Could the son and daughter he’s supposedly in contact with be adults? Possibly. If they have been in contact, they should willingly offer info to LE. If they’re kids, their phones are owned by either Shannon or his wife most likely, and they should be turned over to LE too. But I doubt anyone is in contact with him because he’s likely deceased. Imo

I do wonder how his military retirement works though. Usually it continues for the rest of the service members life. So far no proof he’s not alive so the money keeps coming every month.

and she would receive a widow's benefit as far as I know, as they are legally married. Monthly benefit, medical coverage, access to shopping on post -- without reporting him missing.

IMHO, something is wrong with this picture....

Still no word from Sgt. Collins?

Thank you for your service to our country, Sir!

jmho ymmv lrr

and she would receive a widow's benefit as far as I know, as they are legally married. Monthly benefit, medical coverage, access to shopping on post -- without reporting him missing.

jmho ymmv lrr
The service member can opt out of survivor benefits and receive a larger retirement pay. But retired military qualify for ridiculously low life insurance rates. And if I'm remembering correctly or if benefits haven't changed, while on active duty, and if retired, or medically retired up to age 65 a $100,000 life insurance policy is part of the standard benefits. I know that was the case when I was a kid. And yeah, if she has access to the account, his retirement pay is still being paid. My mom retired as a head training supervisor for Army retirement benefits office. I'll ask her if she ever knew of a case where a person was missing...

Someone on the PCSO Facebook Missing Post, asked this question-
"Being a disabled Veteran, has the PCSO thought to contact the VA to see if he has kept any medical appointments this past year?"

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Pope County Sheriff's Office and Detention Center
Those avenues have been followed up on.

Interesting comments, including many from people who knew Shannon.

So I guess my first question would be- are his veteran's checks still hitting the checking account and are the funds being used by his wife? PCSO hasn't eliminated the possibility of foul play, something stinks to high heaven, IMO.

jmho ymmv lrr

Military retired pay stops upon death of the retiree!

Also from the link: IF he elected, on the date of his retirement, and continued to pay the monthly premium for the survivor benefit plan (SBP) she would continue to receive 55% of his pension for the rest of her life after he passed. SBP MUST be elected at retirement. If coverage is declined on retirement date, it is permanently forfeited for the current and all future spouses.

And

Survivors of Retired Service Members | TRICARE
“If a sponsor dies after retiring from active duty (either regular or a medical retirement), surviving family members remain eligible for TRICARE with the same health plan options and costs they had before their sponsor passed away.

Surviving spouses remain eligible for TRICARE unless they remarry and children remain eligible until they age out or lose eligibility for TRICARE for other reasons.”

MOO: if he didn’t opt for the SBP, all pension money stops on the date of his death. His spouse could keep tricare at the same level he had prior to his death if she chooses to pay for it. I know it’s extremely cheap for health insurance. His children could keep it until they age out at 21 or if enrolled in college full time at age 23.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back