GUILTY AR - Sydney Sutherland, 25, found deceased, Jackson Co., went for a jog, 19 Aug 2020 *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sydney Sutherland’s accused killer ran jogger over with his truck, then raped her — when she was already dying, possibly dead: Docs

According to an affidavit obtained by the Arkansas Democratic Gazette, Lewellyn told police the sequence of events, but the report does not clarify at what point Sutherland is believed to have died. Her body was found over 2 miles from where Lewellyn is believed to have hit her with his pickup truck. A medical examiner determined that she died of multiple blunt force injuries.

Defense Wants Mental Health Evaluation for Alleged Murderer of Arkansas Jogger Sydney Sutherland

Additional link

In documents obtained by Law&Crime, Attorney William O. James Jr. wrote that he had “reason to believe that due to mental disease or defect, Mr. Lewellyn may not fully understand the proceedings against him, and may not have been able to fully appreciate the criminality of the conduct with which he is accused and his ability to assist in his defense may be in question.”

The defense requested an evaluation to determine Lewellyn’s “fitness to proceed” and his criminal responsibility. This request also includes testing for “mental retardation.”

Do you happen to know what town the gym is that she frequented? I’ve got conflicting reports stating she went to a gym in Jonesboro, but I find this a little off unless she worked in Jonesboro. However, if she lived and worked in Newport it seems odd she would frequent a gym in Jonesboro. That’s a good 45 min drive. Also, do you know if QL went to the same gym as SS?

I've found 3 sources all saying she worked at a gym in Jonesboro:

Sutherland went to a gym on Wednesday in the city of Jonesboro, Fox16.com reported, citing officials. Investigators set out to study the facility’s surveillance video for possible clues, the outlet added.
Quake Lewellyn: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Sheriff: Sydney Sutherland’s body has been found | KLRT - FOX16.com

UPDATE: No person of interest as authorities continue search for missing Jackson County woman

The now-missing Sydney Sutherland works as a registered nurse in Newport, Arkansas.

Frantic search for Arkansas mom and nurse, 25, who vanished after going on a jog

Also laid out in one of the search warrant affidavits, his mother Kerry Lewellyn called law enforcement one day after her son’s arrest about a surveillance video they needed to see. In the document, it says Kerry and Lewellyn’s wife Gracie pointed out a dent on the hood of his truck that wasn’t there when he left the morning Sutherland went missing. Investigators also noticed in the video QL wearing shoes they believe matched the shoe prints. In a search warrant, those shoes were found in his home.

Along with the shoes and surveillance footage, State Police also obtained nine articles of clothing.

QL’s next court date is February 16th.

UPDATE: Arraignment hearing waived for man accused of kidnapping and killing woman, requests jury trial | KLRT - FOX16.com

In the defense motion for a Mental Health Evaluation of the defendant, QL's attorney William "Bill" James cites Subchapter 3 (Mental Disease or Defect) of ACA Chapter 2 - Principals of Criminal Liability, Section 5-2-304 (versus Chapter 86 - Insanity Defense or Section 16 -86-103 Examination and Observation).

I believe it's noteworthy as Chapter 2 is most likely the reference the defense uses to fight admission of evidence (i.e., QL's alleged confession).

I also think QL probably has very little history in the form of medical records and this is the beginning of trying to build some mental health records for him (including a test for mental retardation).

To be clear, I don't see the defense seeking to assert any type of Insanity defense but I do believe once they are satisfied they have mitigating mental health evidence on the record, they will seek a guilty plea deal that excludes death.

In other words, I think getting the death penalty off the table is the ultimate objective.

MOO

https://www.kark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/85/2020/11/CK_Image.Present2.pdf

2019 Arkansas Code :: Title 5 - Criminal Offenses :: Subtitle 1 - General Provisions :: Chapter 2 - Principles of Criminal Liability :: Subchapter 3 - Mental Disease or Defect

Last edited:
@NeaResident said:
Do you happen to know what town the gym is that she frequented?
_____________^^rsbm

Reportedly, SS worked out at the Jonesboro gym Bare Fit Personal Training Wednesday morning, and Sheriff Lucas was said to be working with JPD to obtain video footage of her there.

As with many healthcare workers, I think it's likely that SS worked long shifts and therefore did not work-out daily. From the reviews, it seems the patrons are very loyal to their personal trainers and I could see SS visiting family near her childhood home area of Tuckerman on days off, and working out in Jonesboro. MOO

https://www.kjnbtv.com/single-post/...r-missing-Jackson-Co-mother-last-seen-jogging

Kidnapping laws vary from state to state but they all involve taking and conveying away a person against his or her will or confining a person to a controlled space for an illegal purpose. One of the essential elements of kidnapping is lack of consent of victim.

If SS was unconscious or badly wounded, her consent couldn't/wouldn't have been forthcoming. The fact that he has also been charged with rape and abuse of a corpse leads me to believe that she was still alive when he put her in the back of his truck and that she either died or he killed her before he raped her, hence the abuse of a corpse charge.

Can there be anything more cruel or heinous than what he did to this poor young woman?

Sydney Sutherland disappeared after going out for a jog in August.

Days later, Region 8 News learned she had been kidnapped, raped and killed.

Her killer-- Quake Lewellyn-- was charged in this case.

The gruesome crime rocked the community, including Jackson County Sheriff David Lucas.

“I’m alright. It’s a job. I do my job. I’ll have time to reflect once the job is done,” Sheriff Lucas said.
Top 8 headlines of 2020

Posted: Feb 12, 2021

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – A psychologist at the Arkansas State Hospital reports the man at the center of a high-profile Arkansas killing is fit to stand trial, according to documents released Friday.

Man accused in kidnapping, killing of Arkansas jogger declared mentally fit for trial | KARK

There's a copy of the entire mental health assessment at the above link with lots of details about the crime. Sorry, I don't know how to c/p the report here.

Arkansas Farmer: ‘I Just Tried to Forget’ About Killing and Molesting Nurse

The Arkansas farmer charged with murdering and raping a nurse said during a mental-health exam that after he killed the victim he tried “messing with” her corpse—then went home, ate dinner, and “just tried to forget about it.”

The chilling confession by Quake Lewellyn, 28, is contained in an evaluation by a state psychologist who found that he is mentally fit to stand trial for the death of Sydney Sutherland, 25, who vanished while jogging in August.

Ugh.

Arkansas Farmer: ‘I Just Tried to Forget’ About Killing and Molesting Nurse

The Arkansas farmer charged with murdering and raping a nurse said during a mental-health exam that after he killed the victim he tried “messing with” her corpse—then went home, ate dinner, and “just tried to forget about it.”

The chilling confession by Quake Lewellyn, 28, is contained in an evaluation by a state psychologist who found that he is mentally fit to stand trial for the death of Sydney Sutherland, 25, who vanished while jogging in August.

Ugh.

Makes me physically ill. :mad:

Farmer who 'mowed down jogger' is deemed fit to stand trial | Daily Mail Online

Feb 16, 2021

Quake Lewellyn, 28, could face the death penalty if he is convicted of the charges against him, which include capital murder, kidnapping, rape and abuse of corpse.

[..]

Licensed forensic psychologist Lacey Willett found the 28-year-old is fit to stand trial, Fox 16 reported.

[..]

Lewellyn told police he plowed down Sutherland with his truck while she was out running on the Jackson County Road 41 South on August 19, according to court documents obtained by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in October.

He then allegedly admitted to loading Sutherland's body onto his truck and driving her to a deserted field. Police said Lewellyn said he 'tried messing with her a bit,' which they say was rape. He then buried her body.

He would return to work and spend several hours checking wells before he returned home, ate dinner and went to bed. He 'just tried to forget about it,' the psychologist wrote.

The suspect has since pleaded not guilty to capital murder, kidnapping, rape and abuse of a corpse.

Psychological evaluation is available at the link above -- pgs 1 - 4.

39365610-9265191-image-a-27_1613496708019.jpg

39365624-9265191-image-m-32_1613496843506.jpg

39365620-9265191-image-a-28_1613496730756.jpg

39365614-9265191-image-m-30_1613496805648.jpg

Farmer who 'mowed down jogger' is deemed fit to stand trial | Daily Mail Online

Sydney Sutherland murder suspect deemed fit for trial, described killing to psychiatrist

Feb 17
Lewellyn was interviewed on Jan. 7 by Dr. Lacey Willett, a psychiatrist at the Arkansas State Hospital. Willett filed two reports on their interview, during which Lewellyn described what he reportedly called "the murder."

He told Willett he was driving to check the wells and the rice fields and saw Sutherland walking down the gravel road, according to the report. Lewellyn said he drove past and then turned around. When he turned around, he said, he couldn’t see her, “I guess because the gravel road was still dusty.”

Lewellyn said Sutherland may have crossed the road and been hit by his truck, according to the report. He said he felt her hit the truck and he stopped. He walked over to her and asked if she was OK, but she did not respond.

He ultimately buried her in the rice field because that’s where he “was going to begin with,” the report says. Lewellyn said he was not under the influence of any substances and it had been a normal day until he killed her.

Lewellyn then went back to work and continued checking wells. He told Willett he didn’t tell anyone what happened and he “just tried to forget it.”

Willett reported that Lewellyn was able to discuss the crime in a “reality-based manner.” He was rational, calm, polite and cooperative, she said in the report. Lewellyn has been passing time in jail reading books or playing spades, he said. He reportedly described his mood as “not the best but the best for the situation." He added, “it’d be better if I was at home.”

When asked what the best possible outcome of the trial would be, Lewellyn said, “I’d like to not be found guilty.” He also said he wanted the case to go to trial so that he could “get my story out there to whoever needs to hear it.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back