Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
PLease do not point to the university at this time. There is nothing to support a claim of impropriety on their part that was a factor in Holmes shooting innocent people.
If it comes out they knew he would do this and did not tell anyone- then things could change. But until such time it is not a founded accusation. Let's wait for more info.
Thanks.
That would be my fault for raising that as a possibility. I apologize.

Lots of people from the academia say Cheers, actually. I guess they don't normally go to the gun-range.

In Rotkovich's world, as the owner of a gun range, he was probably used to seeing email closings more along the lines of, "Keep your powder dry".
I'd imagine 'cheers' was a first for him. lol

Overall, I think it's good that Rotkovich had a gut instinct feeling about JH!

In Rotkovich's world, as the owner of a gun range, he was probably used to seeing email closings more along the lines of, "Keep your powder dry".
I'd imagine 'cheers' was a first for him. lol

Overall, I think it's good that Rotkovich had a gut instinct feeling about JH!
And very IMO, telling about JH presentation to strangers in passing, who noticed BEACASE odd behaviors weeks before massacre IMO

How James Holmes will be evaluated by psychiatrists ( link )
By Dr. Keith Ablow
July 24, 2012, FoxNews.com

First, given the extraordinary change in Holmes' mental status--from brilliant neuroscience Ph.D candidate to a mass killer--all organic (i.e. physical) causes for psychiatric symptoms must be excluded via an extensive medical work-up, including an MRI (to rule out a brain tumor or slow bleed), an EEG (to rule out seizures), a lumbar puncture (to obtain cerebrospinal fluid to rule out a central nervous system infection) and blood work (to rule out toxicity from heavy metals, other physiological abnormalities and any use by Holmes of illicit drugs). Any medication with which Holmes has recently been treated will be considered for its possible psychiatric side effects.

[...]

The medical and psychiatric evaluation(s) will also form the basis of any "insanity" plea Holmes may put forward. The questions at the heart of that matter will be whether a major mental illness so impaired Mr. Holmes as to render him unable to tell right from wrong, or if he still knew right from wrong, and whether an illness so impaired him as to render him unable to conform his behavior to the requirements of the law.

[...]

Holmes' journey through the system is just beginning. Insanity pleas are notoriously unsuccessful. The vast, vast majority fail, probably because juries simply don't want to worry over whether a person capable of horrific acts will ever hit the streets. So, if Holmes should offer such a plea and prevail, it will be because he isn't even close to sane and because the culprit who stole 12 lives and shattered dozens more was mental illness, camouflaged by those accomplices who saw it hobbling a man and did nothing--or too little.

huh? Did I miss something? Is this true?

Links with ***** in them are not allowed on this forum for various reasons. I'm guessing this one is perhaps a rumour, gossip blog type article.:moo:

James Holmes' School Records: University Of Colorado Barred From Releasing Aurora Suspect's Info

What happened to the 24-year-old during his time in the program at the school's Anschutz Medical Campus is one of the many mysteries stemming from last Friday's mass shooting at a theater in which he's accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Numerous media organizations, including The Associated Press, filed open records requests for school records about Holmes after he was named as the suspect in the shooting that happened just after midnight July 20.

But in an order signed Monday and released by the school Thursday in response to an open records request by the AP, District Court Judge William Blair Sylvester said releasing information in response to requests filed under the Colorado Open Records Act would "impede an ongoing investigation." Sylvester is overseeing the criminal case against Holmes, who is expected to appear in court Monday and be formally charged.

Sylvester cited a provision of the Colorado Open Records Act that prevents the public from viewing open records "prohibited by ... the order of any court."

Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers requested the order after the University of Colorado Denver warned her office Saturday about the record requests. In its request to the court, the district attorney's office noted that reporters were not requesting educational records, which would be prohibited from being released, but emails that are not exempted from the open records law.

The order was not part of the publicly available case file until Thursday due to a clerical error, said Robert McCallum, a spokesman for the courts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/james-holmes-school-records_n_1707173.html

If anyone can figure this out, help me. :waitasec: I'll go make coffee.

James Holmes' School Records: University Of Colorado Barred From Releasing Aurora Suspect's Info

If anyone can figure this out, help me. :waitasec: I'll go make coffee.

Here's the Order, going to read it now, must have coffee:

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userf...s/12CR1522/2012-07-26 Order Regarding P-2.pdf

ETA: Okay, the University cannot release anything until the trial is over, public info or not, unless Judge gives another Order stating they can. Dated July 23, 2012.

However, the prosecution and defense can obtain the records via proper subpoena.

Here's the Order, going to read it now, must have coffee:

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userf...s/12CR1522/2012-07-26 Order Regarding P-2.pdf

ETA: Okay, the University cannot release anything until the trial is over, public info or not, unless Judge gives another Order stating they can. Dated July 23, 2012.

However, the prosecution and defense can obtain the records via proper subpoena.

French roast strong dark coffee...here you go.

Thanks that makes it a lot clearer. So his emails are included in the order! I wondered why his school records would but not his emails.

I appreciate what you all have to say. I do not trust some of the news sources and experts yet.

We all believe mental illness is possible in some people. Many of us have been exposed to MI, and feel we can spot it. Do we already have enough info on JH to determine his condition? No.

Doctors usually don't diagnose any physical or mental condition without it meeting criteria.

Personally, I want to learn more about delusions and psychosis in general. How delusions can become a fixed belief in the mind interests me. I'm hearing of too many people that "just snapped" in our society. It almost seems the handy-dandy excuse - they just snapped. Oh, but then we find out she shot her brother in childhood, or something that might tell us it wasn't all that sudden.

Killing people is such a willful act, especially when you have to buy tons of equipment months ahead of time. Right now, no passes from me that he was too MI to stop himself.

Plus, there's con jobs even within MI. Did JH not stop himself from killing because he knew he could fake a MI? I don't know.

Bingo. This is the only thing that has made sense so far to me--- he was mentally all there. Evil but not crazy. Let's just hope he doesn't get a CA jury that will let him walk.

Willful act. Fake MI. Yep, I'm going with EVIL, too.

Yes, I think there are evil people out there who aren't MI, just evil.

Seen several posts about not understanding what evil means, here is what the American Heritage Dictionary has to say:

e·vil (ē'vəl)
Share: e·vil
adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est
1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.
n.
1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to do both good and evil.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction: the social evils of poverty and injustice.
adv.
Archaic
In an evil manner.
[Middle English, from Old English yfel; see wap- in Indo-European roots.]

http://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=evil

Expect the term malice to be used in legal terms, here is a link:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Evil+purpose

I start with this whole thing as it is not a sudden thing - IMO, he had been having trouble (sprialing out) for months. I do not believe he withdrew,( one reason why noone at school can say why - )
I think because of increasingly odd behaviors ( think of the witnesses that are starting to come out and talk about his strikingly odd behavior in being any where near him! Gun guys - heck one guy (gun range) did not want to have anything to do with him cause he heard his voice mail, and it scared him !

This kid is so ill - The notion that University folks who around him 7 hours a day would not observe his falling apart makes NO sense! Why they have said nothing,and if he had been seeing one of their staff docs (notebook) my my.

My thing is faculity / peers saw him fall apart over months (we certainly can say what orals were 7 weeks ago?) , my thing with their role, is to contact (mental health professional on campus- ------and look out, if the notebook, was a psychiatrist he had been seeing or saw WHEW! ) Has nothing to do IMO, with guns -- or breaking any law on JH part. (Obviously before last week).

I agree that people had to see his odd behavior. May have just thought he was a quirk - OFTEN the illness begins to escalate in the 20's - JH may have seemed shy - but was in turmoil internally. They know something is not right and they DO hide it very well for as long as they can.
IMHO this gag order is not serving. While he has rights, gag order smells more like hiding information then revealing information. Yes I understand about laws, and rights.
But in my head gag order on a case like this stinks. ONLY J.H IS TO BLAME.
Not the school, or the movie, or the parents, but I am certain that people did see and see very questionable behavior long before he totally unraveled.

I am not too sure if Holmes is mentally ill. Here are two videos for comparison. For some reason, the person in the video being interviewed, Ashley Grills (Lori Drew's accomplice), sounds like she is disturbed and probably mentally ill. She has fear and bitterness in her voice. However, I have never seen any psychological profile on Grills. The second video is Cho's manifesto. He has a lot of pent up anger and is highly grandiose and paranoid. I have read that Cho was probably mentally ill.

Ashley Grills
Megan Meier Story 30 - YouTube

Seung-Hui Cho
Seung-Hui Cho full video Virginia Tech Shooter - YouTube

Mental illness does not show up the same way all the time, so a comparison is not possible.
there are as many variations in MI as there are people, some symptoms are same, for certain ailments. HOWEVER: for example while there are 3 forms of bipolar there are thousands of different ways it shows up. Sadly it OFTEN does not show up till someone is in their late teens maybe 20’s. I wish it was simpler but it is far more complex then we can discuss here.

I remember that article where one of the victims describes JH yelling "I said stand up!" Can anybody find a link to put here?
IMO, total fabrication. Those claims were made by the friend who put her finger,alledgly,into her firnds neck to stop bleeding.

It was odd,(contrary to every single person the theatre) and they reported like 4 days later - every other witness said he said nothing throughout

Video Interview of the guy. Jackie Mitchell who had beer with JH on July 9 . He said Hair Color is not yet red-orange that time but brown.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/07/20/i-had-beer-suspected-killer
Myron Melnick, the owner of Zephyr Lounge, remembers Jackie Mitchell in the bar Tuesday night, but not Holmes.

"We were not busy Tuesday night," he recalled . "I'm there seven nights a week, seven hours a night. I've talked to my bartenders, my security people, and we've never seen the guy.

Read more: Family identifies 27-year-old victim of Aurora theater shooting - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...le-shot-at-aurora-movie-theater#ixzz21p54WJF0
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

After hinckley, NGRI became very hard to win. As it stands today, less than 1% of cases that go to trial involve an NGRI defense. And of those, yes, they are very hard to win.

In fact, if you have time, I urge you to check out the case of Ralph Tortorici, which was covered by PBS ( link ). It was an extremely tragic case, where, imho, justice was not served. Importantly, it clarifies just what NGRI cases are actually up against.

That said, imho, the primary problem is, people often confuse mental illness with legal insanity. Our prisons are full of mentally ill criminals who do not meet the criteria for legal insanity.

Even so, arguably, the conditions exacerbate their illness, which in turn, imho, plays a role with increased risk wrt recidivism.

Still, our society, specifically, the american society, tends to strongly hold the eye-for-an-eye mentality. So, you end up with states abolishing NGRI completely, while forgetting the reason it exists in the first place.
You know any stats regarding ruled incomp to stand?

EXCLUSIVE: Massacre suspect James Holmes' gun-range application drew red flag

"That also struck me as very, very strange,” Rotkovich said. “Who says ‘Cheers?’”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...cation-drew-red-flag-for-owner/#ixzz21np3k1gy

When I had read this article I said to myself. It is obvious if one man can notice that something seems off, then many others had to notice it too.

BUT there is nothing that one can do unless they exhibit to be a danger to themselves or someone else.

However anyone who is in the shooting range / gun business IMHO should be able to drop a dime and such a person should be looked into and stripped of any and all ammunition. JMO
It does not mean that JH would not find bombs or other ways to create havoc.
But it does mean that not all MI people can create bombs, and the havoc may be cut back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste