Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to understand that he didnt do anything illegal, he bought the guns legally and passed a federal background check in order to get them, all legal. The school had no way of knowing he was buying guns or tactical gear and they had no reason to call the police to check him out he wasnt breaking any laws and while we all, looking at the whole picture from the comforts of our homes after the fact, can clearly see some strange behavior when it is all added up together, the people around him didnt have the ability to see it all as one big picture with all the suspicious behavior connected, they saw bits and pieces only making it impossible for them to know he was going to do something like this.

You just cant go around sticking your nose in people's business like that and calling the cops for every little thing, it is not right and it is not fair to those of us who arent doing anything wrong but because we are a little different everyone is on the phone calling 911 to have us investigated because we have pink hair.

All due respect my friend but you really need to think about this and what the long term consequences are of living in a society with a bunch of tattletales watching everything we do and reporting us to the police for anything they think isnt "normal."

The fact is nothing could have been done to prevent this and nothing can be done to prevent it from happening again, it is the world we live in, and as sad as it is and as much as it sucks it is no worse than the mass murder going on in Pakistan/Afghanistan and Iraq everyday through the use of unmanned drones that are being used to kill untold thousands of innocent people who have done nothing wrong.

It is the world we live in and unless you want to give up your civil liberties so the cops can just snoop on you whenever they get the fancy, then you just have to accept it and do what you can to protect yourself and your loved ones.

It sucks, dont get me wrong but I dont want to live in a nanny state.

I start with this whole thing as it is not a sudden thing - IMO, he had been having trouble (sprialing out) for months. I do not believe he withdrew,( one reason why noone at school can say why - )
I think because of increasingly odd behaviors ( think of the witnesses that are starting to come out and talk about his strikingly odd behavior in being any where near him! Gun guys - heck one guy (gun range) did not want to have anything to do with him cause he heard his voice mail, and it scared him !

This kid is so ill - The notion that University folks who around him 7 hours a day would not observe his falling apart makes NO sense! Why they have said nothing,and if he had been seeing one of their staff docs (notebook) my my.

My thing is faculity / peers saw him fall apart over months (we certainly can say what orals were 7 weeks ago?) , my thing with their role, is to contact (mental health professional on campus- ------and look out, if the notebook, was a psychiatrist he had been seeing or saw WHEW! ) Has nothing to do IMO, with guns -- or breaking any law on JH part. (Obviously before last week).

You were saying that this oral exam is just a regular exam but many news outlet is claiming this is a key exam.

Key exam to continue the program? or not? and how do you know it is or isnt ?

I have said just the opposite. It's not a part of regular exams for which he would take classes then have exams.

I have said just the opposite. It's not a part of regular exams for which he would take classes then have exams.

Ok.. do you have link or source for what you are saying?
I just want to read and maybe i will agree with you about this oral exam.

It is HUGE. Basically it determines if you go on academic probation and/ or they let you proceed to the next level. Its huge !

I start with this whole thing as it is not a sudden thing - IMO, he had been having trouble (sprialing out) for months. I do not believe he withdrew,( one reason why noone at school can say why - )
I think because of increasingly odd behaviors ( think of the witnesses that are starting to come out and talk about his strikingly odd behavior in being any where near him! Gun guys - heck one guy (gun range) did not want to have anything to do with him cause he heard his voice mail, and it scared him !

This kid is so ill - The notion that University folks who around him 7 hours a day would not observe his falling apart makes NO sense! Why they have said nothing,and if he had been seeing one of their staff docs (notebook) my my.

My thing is faculity / peers saw him fall apart over months (we certainly can say what orals were 7 weeks ago?) , my thing with their role, is to contact (mental health professional on campus- ------and look out, if the notebook, was a psychiatrist he had been seeing or saw WHEW! ) Has nothing to do IMO, with guns -- or breaking any law on JH part. (Obviously before last week).

remembering the va tech again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho

In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech massacre, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine convened a panel consisting of various officials and experts to investigate and examine the response and handling of issues related to the shootings. The panel released its final report in August 2007, devoting more than 30 pages to detailing Cho's troubled history. In the report, the panel criticized the failure of the educators and mental health professionals who came into contact with Cho during his college years to notice his deteriorating condition and help him. The panel also criticized misinterpretations of privacy laws and gaps in Virginia's mental health system and gun laws. In addition, the panel faulted Virginia Tech administrators in particular for failing to take immediate action after the first shootings. Nevertheless, the report did acknowledge that Cho was still primarily responsible for not seeking assistance and for his murderous rampage

Good article.... Thank you

The first photo of JH is on here.... IMHO - MI is written all over his face. And the other photo's just make it more clear - TO ME

Just a snip..........

The case of James Holmes has everything, however, to do with the fractured, fragmented, anemic state of psychiatry in America and our unwillingness to educate the public how to recognize symptoms of mental illness and what to do when those symptoms are identified.

Because, in the end, it will become clear that more than one person -- and probably several, including family, friends, neighbors, classmates, health care personnel or educators -- knew or should have known that James Holmes was confused, losing sight of reality, experiencing severe mood swings, withdrawing from the world around him, experiencing violent fantasies or all of the above.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012...atry-not-gun-laws-needs-fixing/#ixzz21jnDKJUI

I am not too sure if Holmes is mentally ill. Here are two videos for comparison. For some reason, the person in the video being interviewed, Ashley Grills (Lori Drew's accomplice), sounds like she is disturbed and probably mentally ill. She has fear and bitterness in her voice. However, I have never seen any psychological profile on Grills. The second video is Cho's manifesto. He has a lot of pent up anger and is highly grandiose and paranoid. I have read that Cho was probably mentally ill.

Ashley Grills
Megan Meier Story 30 - YouTube

Seung-Hui Cho
Seung-Hui Cho full video Virginia Tech Shooter - YouTube

Very interesting what it says, CARIIS. I see what you're saying, and if there were outright concerns for the safety of students, others, or himself, yes, that would be upsetting to find out otherwise. Yet, he was very clever to not show his plan to start hurting or killing anyone, IMO. I have to consider maybe he knew right from wrong, but just didn't care because he could always fake being insane.

He says he thought he was the joker, and he probably got his satisfaction in that theater actually killing even children. Come Monday he doesn't seem to have any connection to the joker anymore. What happened to that fixated delusion that went on for months of planning?
IMO, he most certainly, in court, was hearing things, that is why his facial stuff made no sense to observers, he was coming in and out of being the joker or wherever you know what I mean. And IMO IMO IMO psyc meds!

Can we dial this back a bit and list with links the behavior we know of that should have led to some sort of red flag? I think this could be helpful.
Links need to be from MSM ONLY. Please don't embellish anything- just quote from articles and link.

Thanks.

University of Colorado Denver (Downtown and AMC campuses)
Graduate School Rules and Policies (version 2.11 minor update 11/17/10)

This document outlines uniform rules, standards, and procedures for all graduate programs that are under the auspices of the Graduate School. Individual graduate programs, departments, schools or colleges may adopt more, but not less, stringent policies and/or requirements to those outlined in this document and should inform the Graduate School of such requirements.

[...]

(ii) Doctoral Degree Examinations ( pdf, p 26 )

a. Preliminary Examination

Each program is responsible for ensuring that students are qualified for doctoral study by successfully passing a preliminary examination. Graduate programs that require students have a Master’s degree before they enter their Ph.D. program may exempt the student from taking a preliminary examination. The preliminary examination must occur within three semesters of completing the required courses as defined by the particular graduate program. The content and format of the preliminary examination are determined by the individual graduate program. The results (Pass/Fail) of the preliminary examination must be reported to the Graduate School. A student who fails the examination is subject to immediate dismissal from the Graduate School upon the recommendation of the program and concurrence of the Dean. At the program's discretion, a student who fails the examination may retake it.

ETA ~ from reading through their literature, it appears the orals can be taken at any time, *between* semesters. In this light, the June 7th date appears to make sense.

IF foxnews is right that the mail /package JH sent to a psychiatrist is sitting on the mail room for a week before the crime... i will possibly hear Lawsuits :)

IF JH failed in that Oral Exam that cause his depression and mental illnesses and he isnt really supposed to fail.... Yaiks, i hear a bigger Lawsuits.

We dont have complete facts for now and so the above could be wrong so all of these are just some theory on how could they be liable possibly......For now, am just wondering what Media is also after since they want record of his emails at that University.

I have explained this but it bears repeating. As an attorney, I can tell you definitively that the only way the school or anyone associated with the university could be found liable for what the murderer did is if the murderer threatened to harm himself or others, the university knew of the threat or should have known of the threat, the university did nothing to prevent the harm and the harm occurred.

Further, even if they did or should have known of specific threats prior to the threats being acted upon, which we do not yet know, they needed to have time to react. If there was not enough time, then there is no liability.

Additionally, even if this guy did make threats of harm, the university itself would be unlikely to bear any duty of care to those outside the university system. So, if those harmed were not university students, the university would not be liable.

Finally, a treating psychiatrist has a duty to warn under Colorado law, but only if there was a direct threat to harm a specific person or persons:
A physician, social worker, psychiatric nurse, psychologist, or other mental health professional and a mental health hospital, community mental health center or clinic, institution, or their staff shall not be liable for damages in any civil action for failure to warn or protect any person against a mental health patient's violent behavior, and any such person shall not be held civilly liable for failure to predict such violent behavior, except where the patient has communicated to the mental health care provider a serious threat of imminent physical violence against a specific person or persons.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNH91zYvPYfYY7sFm4owdRJN6yz84Q&cad=rja

That means a few things. One, if the murderer sent a package containing specific threats to harm someone, to a research psychiatrist or a psychiatric professor who was not treating the murderer, that psychiatrist would have no duty to warn. The murderer would have had to actually be a mental health patient of the psychiatrist for the mental health practitioner to have any duty associated with specific threats.

Two, it means that vague threats of violence, or threats to "take out a whole bunch of people" would not open up the mental health professional to liability.

Three, that means that changing one's hair color, becoming withdrawn, failing exams and/or dropping out of school, would not even come close to being threats to harm and even taken as a whole, even when coupled with the subject buying an arsenal, on the off chance that the university knew of that, would still not come close to constituting a threat of harm to a specific person or persons.

Yes, there may be lawsuits. Anyone can file a lawsuit. But that does not mean such lawsuits will have any merit or will result in a finding of liability against the university or the professionals that work there.

The bottom line is that unless the coward actually was being treated by a mental health professional at the university and told that mental health professional in advance, that he was going to massacre people at the theater, there is zero liability.

This is my professional opinion as a lawyer.

University of Colorado Denver (Downtown and AMC campuses)
Graduate School Rules and Policies (version 2.11 minor update 11/17/10)

This document outlines uniform rules, standards, and procedures for all graduate programs that are under the auspices of the Graduate School. Individual graduate programs, departments, schools or colleges may adopt more, but not less, stringent policies and/or requirements to those outlined in this document and should inform the Graduate School of such requirements.

[...]

(ii) Doctoral Degree Examinations ( pdf, p 26 )

a. Preliminary Examination

Each program is responsible for ensuring that students are qualified for doctoral study by successfully passing a preliminary examination. Graduate programs that require students have a Master’s degree before they enter their Ph.D. program may exempt the student from taking a preliminary examination. The preliminary examination must occur within three semesters of completing the required courses as defined by the particular graduate program. The content and format of the preliminary examination are determined by the individual graduate program. The results (Pass/Fail) of the preliminary examination must be reported to the Graduate School. A student who fails the examination is subject to immediate dismissal from the Graduate School upon the recommendation of the program and concurrence of the Dean. At the program's discretion, a student who fails the examination may retake it.

ETA ~ from reading through their literature, it appears the orals can be taken at any time, *between* semesters. In this light, the June 7th date appears to make sense.

wow Nice find. This say how crucial this exam is then.
Is it possible that he could have take this exam before May 22 and re-take it on June 7?

Sometimes it almost sounds like we all agree. I'm glad there's a notebook and that it is evidence of intent and some kind of rage most likely. He was MAD and that's not always MI.

Thank you Gitana1.
I do believe that we only know 10% of the story and 5% of that story could be wrong too so majority of what we say are based on what media gave us.
I guess we all have to wait and see for any trial docs that will be available for us ..

Per the UC Denver's press release ( link ), here is the NIH grant. ( link )

Project Number: 5T32HD041697-12
Contact PI / Project Leader: RESTREPO, DIEGO
Title: NEUROSCIENCE TRAINING GRANT
Awardee Organization: UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER

Abstract Text:

DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant):

This is a competitive renewal of a Jointly Sponsored Neuroscience Training grant that currently funds six slots for pre-thesis Ph.D. students in the Neuroscience Training Program (NSP) at the University of Colorado Denver (UCD). The NSP is an interdisciplinary Ph.D. granting degree started in 1986 that has been funded by an NIH training grant since 1993.

The 44 training faculty participating in this grant come from six basic science and six clinical departments. The faculty members have a combined funding of $29 M in direct annual grant dollars, and they have an outstanding record of previous training. Our graduates have a strong record as academicians and scientists. The average number of manuscripts published by our graduates during their tenure at UCD was 3 manuscripts.

Among the 35 graduate students as of the Fall of this year 65% are women, 14% underrepresented minorities or disabled and 9% are students from rural colleges and universities in the Rocky Mountain Region. The focus of the NSP is on training outstanding neuroscientists and academicians who will make significant contributions to neurobiology, become leaders in the field and impart these qualities to future generations of neuroscientists. In addition, we aim to foster development of students who approach research in a responsible, professional manner.

In the last funding period the Curriculum Committee, working in close collaboration with the Director, refined a curriculum designed to attain these goals. The emphasis is on fostering increasing independence, responsible conduct and critical thinking through courses and laboratory rotations in the first year of instruction so that, in the second year and beyond, we have students who think independently and develop, troubleshoot and communicate effectively the results of their own hypothesis-driven projects.

Public Health Relevance Statement::

The purpose of this proposal is to train Neuroscience Ph.D. students to become independent investigators. This is an important goal because the study of the brain and the development of therapies for brain disorders are dependent on a well trained workforce of neuroscientists that will work at basic and translational levels.

Project Terms: Grant; Neurosciences; Training;

ETA ~ the above is just the abstract. Other info can be found in the tabs at the above link.

James Holmes' Goofy Behavior Sign of Psychosis or Faking It, Expert Says

http://gma.yahoo.com/james-holmes-g...ng-expert-142209134--abc-news-topstories.html

"One is that he is in the middle of a psychotic episode which is quite possible. We see him distracted at multiple points, an almost sort of 'coming to' and trying to figure out where he is and process what's going on," she said."

"The other thing that we're seeing -- and we've seen some of this behavior in the past couple months -- might suggest mania. Meaning hyperactivity, hyper energy, been possibly up and not sleeping for days. What we might be seeing here is the post effects."

"But Randazzo also said there was a third possibility. He might simply be faking it."

remembering the va tech again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho

In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech massacre, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine convened a panel consisting of various officials and experts to investigate and examine the response and handling of issues related to the shootings. The panel released its final report in August 2007, devoting more than 30 pages to detailing Cho's troubled history. In the report, the panel criticized the failure of the educators and mental health professionals who came into contact with Cho during his college years to notice his deteriorating condition and help him. The panel also criticized misinterpretations of privacy laws and gaps in Virginia's mental health system and gun laws. In addition, the panel faulted Virginia Tech administrators in particular for failing to take immediate action after the first shootings. Nevertheless, the report did acknowledge that Cho was still primarily responsible for not seeking assistance and for his murderous rampage

Thank you Gitana1.
I do believe that we only know 10% of the story and 5% of that story could be wrong too so majority of what we say are based on what media gave us.
I guess we all have to wait and see for any trial docs that will be available for us ..

Yes, we do have to wait. But, please remember this: The guy who massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech showed serious signs that he was capable of major harm and many of his professors and fellow students saw signs of significant and dangerous mental issues. Yet neither the university nor the university professionals who interacted with the killer, nor the mental health professionals who treated the killer, were ever found legally liable for a failure to warn or a breach of any duty of care when it came to dealing with his possible mental issues or state of mind.

The university was found liable for something connected with the massacre but that had zero to do with a duty to warn or a lapse in a duty of care associated with any threats of harm or behaviors indicating that the killer was dangerously disturbed. Instead, it was for failing to notify students that someone was shooting people, when the massacre began.

The bottom line is that unless the coward actually was being treated by a mental health professional at the university and told that mental health professional in advance, that he was going to massacre people at the theater, there is zero liability.

This is my professional opinion as a lawyer.
I agree. And while IANAL, in forensic psych, we did study Tarasoff (duty to warn). Which I believe is what you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo