At 16 Cyntoia Brown Killed A "Customer" Should she be Released from Prison?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tennessee’s Supreme Court clarified an earlier ruling that she must remain in prison for 51 years before she is eligible for release. Brown has already served 14 years in prison.

In response to the court’s decision, the Women’s March tweeted in support of Brown and other sex trafficking victims, adding that the next Women’s March on January 19, 2019 is for them as well. The organization asked their supporters to contact Tennessee’s governor, Bill Haslam, to demand Brown’s release. “Gov. Haslam has the power to#FreeCyntoia. Every day she remains in prison, he is actively choosing not to,” they tweeted.

Cyntoia Brown Will Serve 51-Year Sentence For Killing Her Alleged Assailant

Just wanted to bump this forward. I strongly agree with this-- celebrities and their opinions should have zero influence on legal cases (unless it's their own case!).

It's very troubling, IMO, the oversized emphasis and spotlight that is given to the "slacktivist"opinions of entertainers and sports figures-- as though they were some kind of knowledgeable authorities on these issues. SMH.

Slacktivism - Wikipedia
While I agree that celebrities opinions should not have influence on legal cases, I would argue that in our country they have the right to voice there opinion as loudly as any other person. Being a celebrity does not take away their right to free speech.

Just wanted to bump this forward. I strongly agree with this-- celebrities and their opinions should have zero influence on legal cases (unless it's their own case!).

It's very troubling, IMO, the oversized emphasis and spotlight that is given to the "slacktivist"opinions of entertainers and sports figures-- as though they were some kind of knowledgeable authorities on these issues. SMH.

Slacktivism - Wikipedia

How dare people use their platforms for social justice. How dare they! Shut up and dribble amIrite???

You are wrong. She was a child. Given the right encouragement, she can make something of her life. As an example From child soldier to refugee lawyer: One man's inspiring journey from Sudan to Sydney

Cyntoia cannot be compared to a young man from Sudan. Completely different.

The potential for rehabilitation was when caught, she could have told the truth. Asked for leniency, rehabilitation. Her continued lying about the situation and her age, are compounded problems. That ended the victim, and changed to criminal.

The potential for rehabilitation was when caught, she could have told the truth. Asked for leniency, rehabilitation. Her continued lying about the situation and her age, are compounded problems. That ended the victim, and changed to criminal.
She was a sex slave ffs. Not a criminal. There are fraternity presidents who drug and rape women getting off with nothing, but someone who was abused as a slave and did what she had to to escape is a criminal? What is wrong with this country. Imagine if it was jayce dugard or elizabeth smart or amanda berry who killed their captor, they wouldnt be sentenced to 51 years.

Another case in the bucket of some people get this, others dont based on what

She was a sex slave ffs. Not a criminal. There are fraternity presidents who drug and rape women getting off with nothing, but someone who was abused as a slave and did what she had to to escape is a criminal? What is wrong with this country. Imagine if it was jayce dugard or elizabeth smart or amanda berry who killed their captor, they wouldnt be sentenced to 51 years.

Another case in the bucket of some people get this, others dont based on what
If Elizabeth Smart was used as a sex Slave and killed her captors it would probably be a Natl holiday for Abused kidnapped folks, not including Cyntonia of course!!! I just don't see any difference a child is a child ....

I truly believe that her PTSD of habitually being raped, beaten, choked and sold into sexual slavery should be considered when judging how she responded to a very dire situation. She knew if she returned to her pimp, she would no doubt be beaten or even killed due to her actions, so she decided on "flight" with taking the man's truck, which contained guns. When she reacted the way she did, it was for what she believed to be a threat to her life. The rest of it was a means to escape, IMO. If Elizabeth Smart had managed to kill her kidnapper and rapist, would she have been tried and sentenced to what constitutes a life sentence for such a young girl?? Think about it.

If Elizabeth Smart was used as a sex Slave and killed her captors it would probably be a Natl holiday for Abused kidnapped folks, not including Cyntonia of course!!! I just don't see any difference a child is a child ....
Sorry, I had not read your post when I posted about the very same scenario.

I totally disagree with your opinions on this case and will leave it at that. There is no way in hell, IMO that you can possibly compare a child killing someone whom she has been sold to to be abused and hurt in whatever way they choose and who felt they were going to be murdered and defended themselves after experiencing total sexual slavery and trafficked by a total evil, preverted *advertiser censored*, choked, beaten, raped and sold can be considered the same as someone who just nonchalantly decided to kill a man and steal his damn truck and guns. Really?

FGS, she was still the very same child who was held and kept and forced into sex slavery, she still had the very same survival instinct and did what she could to survive.

If you are a victim, you continue to be a victim, period.

The Petitioner testified that on the day of the victim’s death, she was “pretty sure” she was using drugs because “[t]hat is all I ever did.” She said, “Cocaine definitely, I probably smoked some weed too.” The Petitioner left the hotel and started walking toward the Sonic. The victim stopped his truck and asked if she needed a ride and was hungry. The Petitioner got into his truck, and the victim parked at the Sonic. He asked her if she was “up for any action,” meaning he wanted to pay her for sex, and the Petitioner told him that she would have sex with him for $200. The victim offered to pay her $100, and they ultimately agreed that he would pay her $150. She said that the victim was “an old Caucasian man” and that she thought he was about fifty years old. However, he turned out to be “forty-something.”

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/browncyntoiadeniseopn.pdf

She was not kidnapped. She went with him willingly. She executed him. She stole from him. She wanted to go back and steal more.

Tennessee Governor Considering Clemency for Cyntoia Brown
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam said he will have an answer about clemency before he leaves office in six weeks

DECEMBER 11, 2018

"Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam said on Monday that he is carefully considering the clemency request for Cyntoia Brown, who was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison in 2004 for killing a 43-year-old man who had solicited her for sex when she was just 16 years old. ...

“We’re reviewing a lot of cases,” he said, “and while Cyntoia’s case has gotten a lot of publicity, I don’t think you want us to treat hers any different than a whole lot of cases that I think people want us to review.”

Governor Haslam reiterated that his office is talking to everyone involved in Brown’s case, and they will have a decision on clemency before he leaves office in six weeks..."

Cyntoia Brown: Tennessee Governor Considering Clemency – Rolling Stone
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Petitioner testified that on the day of the victim’s death, she was “pretty sure” she was using drugs because “[t]hat is all I ever did.” She said, “Cocaine definitely, I probably smoked some weed too.” The Petitioner left the hotel and started walking toward the Sonic. The victim stopped his truck and asked if she needed a ride and was hungry. The Petitioner got into his truck, and the victim parked at the Sonic. He asked her if she was “up for any action,” meaning he wanted to pay her for sex, and the Petitioner told him that she would have sex with him for $200. The victim offered to pay her $100, and they ultimately agreed that he would pay her $150. She said that the victim was “an old Caucasian man” and that she thought he was about fifty years old. However, he turned out to be “forty-something.”

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/browncyntoiadeniseopn.pdf

She was not kidnapped. She went with him willingly. She executed him. She stole from him. She wanted to go back and steal more.

Wrong , she had been conditioned same as brainwashed , 16 and she looked like 12 , so frankly he was the PERV the CRIMINAL seriously ask any police officer if you are killed during the commission of a crime you are NOT a victim, I know at 16 I tried to be a bad A@# but I really had no clue about the world , she was a child who had been pimped out for years , a victim period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800
Back