Aug 15, 2024 - NY - Pet hoarder found with nearly 40 cats and dogs inside filthy home -

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

Self-described animal lover Elizabeth Grant, 56, allegedly had 26 dogs and 12 cats living in her trash-strewn, fly-filled Jackson Heights house with no available water for the pets, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

1723766500334.png

1723766474913.png

'This was the fourth time Grant had her pet-filled home raided by officials, according to the ASPCA.'
'The heartless hoarder was convicted of 108 counts of animal cruelty after 70 pets were rescued from her property in 2016.'
'Grant was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Wednesday on the 88-count indictment charging her with aggravated cruelty to animals, overdriving, torturing or injuring an animal, criminal contempt and failing to provide proper food and drink to an impounded animal.'
'If convicted, she faces up to two years in jail.'

88 counts!!!

Last edited:
I love animals and I've built my entire career around them (horse trainer), animal welfare is foremost in my mind each day...but I also think this woman must be severely mentally ill to live like this. She needs significant intervention.

Serial Pet Hoarder, which is a mental disorder that can't be treated via jail (but at least while in jail they aren't harming pets!). These are the four cases I found. Her elderly mother lives in this home as well, and is part of the hoarding.

In 2016 nearly 70 animals removed from home, charged in April 2018 108 counts animal cruelty. 10 year ban on owning animals (to 2028), 3 years probation which would have ended 2021.

Aug 2018, found with over 12 animals. Spent 14 months in jail for violating parole and assaulting officer.

Nov 2021, Over 30 animals found in her home. Charged with 87 counts of animal cruelty and criminal contempt for violating 2018 order. Faced up to 3 years in prison. (Case document as the hoarder and her elderly mother filed court case against ASPC and LE here, regarding the Nov 2021 seizure). Was supposed to return to court Mar 2022, but I could not find any record of what happened with this case. Maybe it got lost during the Pandemic...

May 2024, up to 40 animals found after LE entered with search warrant. Faces 88 counts of cruelty and other crimes. Plus criminal contempt for violating order to not have pets. (I have to wonder why there wasn't a monthly check on this house of horrors?)

Returns to court Sept 2024, faces up to 2 years in jail.

“The severity of this recurring hoarding situation – which has resulted in the suffering of countless animals and has put a tremendous strain on local resources – shines a light on the complexities and far-reaching effects of animal hoarding and how incredibly challenging it can be to effectively address and prevent,” said Stacy Wolf, senior vice president of ASPCA Policy, Response and Engagement. Jackson Heights woman once again charged with animal cruelty after dozens of cats and dogs were rescued from her home: DA - Jackson Heights Post

Sources

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back