AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce (Wynarka) and mum Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if its at all possible that the suitcase was initially buried rather shallowly before it was dug up by wildlife or maybe the natural elements uncovered it after heavy rains and what not.

ETA: This scenario would explain why it took so long to be uncovered and how it escaped bushfire.

Please post a link to this as I have searched and can't find it. Thanks

I don't know if there's any actual reference in the media. There were a couple of books written - one of them "Sins of the Brother" refers to the police interviewing Milat's ex wife. She allegedly told the police that Milat took her to Belanglo where he shot two kangaroos. The police thought it good circumstantial evidence - if he said he'd never been to Belango, they had the ex wife's statement to say he had. Apparently in the 12 years they were together, they only went camping once.

When was the fire? Where was this reported? I asked about it before, but no-one responded. What it on the google images? I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Some time pretty shortly before Feb 2010, judging from this pic from the area from that time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 197
I wonder if its at all possible that the suitcase was initially buried rather shallowly before it was dug up by wildlife or maybe the natural elements uncovered it after heavy rains and what not.

ETA: This scenario would explain why it took so long to be uncovered and how it escaped bushfire.

(Karlie) "As she lay, covered in eucalypt litter, the forest slowly swallowed her identity".

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-face-to-the-faceless-belanglo-woman/#slide=1

It could be the same scenario for the suitcase being hidden over time by falling leaves OR did DH cover them both. Anyone got the link about the suitcase (in) a tree/bush?

The remains were found behind a bush off the Karoonda Highway on Tuesday last week and reported to police the following day.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-giving-a-face-to-the-faceless-belanglo-woman

JaneSA, the burnt area shown on street view in Feb 2010 seems to be a bit further east than the place where the suitcase was found. It stops just on the little clearing that leads back to the bmx track. So, if the case was left close to where it was found, I don't think the fire would be an issue.

I can understand them wanting an ironclad brief of evidence but yes fascinated to know who held out or had not come forward. I have noticed a number of comments re DJH still not talking - does anyone have a recent MSM link which mentions that? Just hard to imagine him still doing the "no comment" thing we see from the UK (which must make investigators feel like perpetrating their own acts of violence :( )

I am curious why it took so long to charge DH with the murder of Khandalyce. If he is still not talking then nothing new came from him.
I think someone they are talking to in Canberra has revealed the vital bit of evidence they needed.

Oh plongi that is so true! That tiny darling's bones(especially when scattered) would have been as fine as a little bird's :'( It is so unthinkable to most people that anyone could ignore anything like the suitcase once they had (hypothetically) realised that it was not just a bundle of weathered and deteriorated children's clothing, but even the eventual reporting person appears to have waited several days. I guess you had to be there :(

Small bones might just look like some one dumped the case with the remnants of their lunch in it ... KFC or similar. Sorry for the horror. It was the jaw bone that finally tipped the scale. Having said that humans can be awful creatures and people do just turn a blind eye. Most people have something to hide. Look at what DH has done its possible for evil to walk among us. We are here because we care so amongst like minded to a point.

Milat had picinics with his partner near by his spots

The prosecution took three months to make their case. But among all their damning ballistics and forensic evidence it was the testimony of two very different witnesses that probably convinced the jury there could be no reasonable doubt.

The first was Karen Milat, aged 37, who rarely looked at her ex-husband as she recalled four different trips to the Belanglo State Forest with Ivan in 1983. On two occasions he had gone to shoot kangaroos and finished one off by cutting its throat. The other two times they just drove around and had a picnic.

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/milat-ivan.htm

This is a good read about the Ivan Milat case.

JaneSA, the burnt area shown on street view in Feb 2010 seems to be a bit further east than the place where the suitcase was found. It stops just on the little clearing that leads back to the bmx track. So, if the case was left close to where it was found, I don't think the fire would be an issue.

Mmm, I was wondering about that too.
It seems to have just missed the spot where the case was eventually discovered.

(Karlie) "As she lay, covered in eucalypt litter, the forest slowly swallowed her identity".

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-face-to-the-faceless-belanglo-woman/#slide=1

It could be the same scenario for the suitcase being hidden over time by falling leaves OR did DH cover them both. Anyone got the link about the suitcase (in) a tree/bush?

The remains were found behind a bush off the Karoonda Highway on Tuesday last week and reported to police the following day.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-giving-a-face-to-the-faceless-belanglo-woman

The phrase I recall was that the case was "suspended in a bush" according to an early witness.

According to Detective Superintendent Des Bray "a person was driving down the road, stopped to go to the toilet and saw the suitcase out of sight, partially suspended in a bush, so it had apparently been thrown into a bush."

from here .. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Bones-of-a-Child-Discovered-July-15-2/page19 ...
there was a link in post #271 by Makara, but the link is no longer working.

Its just so awful in reality. Suck a lack of respect .. compassion .. You need to be a sociopath to allow this to happen.

Oh plongi that is so true! That tiny darling's bones(especially when scattered) would have been as fine as a little bird's :'( It is so unthinkable to most people that anyone could ignore anything like the suitcase once they had (hypothetically) realised that it was not just a bundle of weathered and deteriorated children's clothing, but even the eventual reporting person appears to have waited several days. I guess you had to be there :(

Its just so awful in reality. Suck a lack of respect .. compassion .. You need to be a sociopath to allow this to happen.

I think if you can kill a small child who cannot have done anything to incite murder, then any abhorrent behaviour is possible.

But regardless, I just cannot understand leaving bones and a suitcase full of belongings together if you had even the vaguest thought of covering up your crime.

Given that we now know that by some means, someone continued to convince Karlie's family that she was still alive, we know that quite a sophisticated attempt was made over many years to conceal the crime. That doesn't fit with the dumped suitcase IMO.

It just makes no sense to me that someone could spend years concealing a crime yet also be the same person who carelessly dumped bones and clothes together.

Must this be be two or more people?
Interested what others here think.

Some time pretty shortly before Feb 2010, judging from this pic from the area from that time.

attachment.php

Brilliant, thanks Jane. I'll have to see if I can find more on it - it does look like the fire was very contained though, from the look of the other trees not far away, it could be an isolated fire. How far is this from the actual discovery of the suitcase?

I've got a friend who has quite a bit of experience in bush fires, next time I see him I'll ask him to take a look and get his opinion.

The phrase I recall was that the case was "suspended in a bush" according to an early witness.

According to Detective Superintendent Des Bray "a person was driving down the road, stopped to go to the toilet and saw the suitcase out of sight, partially suspended in a bush, so it had apparently been thrown into a bush."

from here .. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Bones-of-a-Child-Discovered-July-15-2/page19 ...
there was a link in post #271 by Makara, but the link is no longer working.

The link is working. it is a video.
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/police-news/police-live

7:40
A person was driving down the road and stopped to go to the toilet....saw the suitcase out of site and partially suspended in the bushes..
That person picked up the suitcase - bought it closer to the road and stood it on its end.

8:24 - Reporter - Is there a chance that the body wasn't in the suitcase when the first people went through it.
Bray - No We believe they were in the suitcase when it was sealed up and suspended behind the bushes.

6:17 Bray - We appeal to the person that emptied the suitcase behind the bush to come forward. They have done nothing wrong.

Perhaps DH saw a police road check up ahead, either a pre Christmas road blitz or one of those drug checks (someone posted a link about there being one on the Karoonda hwy), it was a weekend when he went through there.... so he stopped and disposed of the case. If he was pulled over in a police check in that area there would be records of that because he had no license. He could have returned for the case and not been able to find where he left it.
It's just sad that it took so long to find baby Khandalyce.

The link is working. it is a video.

7:40
A person was driving down the road and stopped to go to the toilet....saw the suitcase out of site and partially suspended in the bushes..
That person picked up the suitcase - bought it closer to the road and stood it on its end.

8:24 - Reporter - Is there a chance that the body wasn't in the suitcase when the first people went through it.
Bray - No We believe they were in the suitcase when it was sealed up and suspended behind the bushes.

6:17 Bray - We appeal to the person that emptied the suitcase behind the bush to come forward. They have done nothing wrong.

Cool. Thanks Soso. I was on my phone and it just froze for me, but glad it works.

So presumably person 1 who saw the suitcase partially suspended in the bushes and bought it closer to the road and stood it on its end didn't actually open it.
To know this detail I think the police must have a statement from person 1.

I think if you can kill a small child who cannot have done anything to incite murder, then any abhorrent behaviour is possible.

But regardless, I just cannot understand leaving bones and a suitcase full of belongings together if you had even the vaguest thought of covering up your crime.

Given that we now know that by some means, someone continued to convince Karlie's family that she was still alive, we know that quite a sophisticated attempt was made over many years to conceal the crime. That doesn't fit with the dumped suitcase IMO.

It just makes no sense to me that someone could spend years concealing a crime yet also be the same person who carelessly dumped bones and clothes together.

Must this be be two or more people?
Interested what others here think.

It would seem JaneSA, from what was said when DJH was charged with Khandalyce' murder, that she was killed, sealed in the suitcase and then dumped as she was, within the suitcase, on his way through Wynarka on that same journey to SA. Therefore, the bones would be evident much later, following decomposition, which took place inside the suitcase over however long it takes to occur. Bones were never exposed until the suitcase was opened and then they were disturbed and scattered over time. Likely reason that the bones were 'clean'. They were stored, but only in the suitcase. MOO

this link has the Bray briefing to the media re the Arrest for Khandalyce . Right at the end when the questions come is interesting.Question : You have evidence and understanding of how the body ended up in SA .. We believe we have a good understanding of what has happened and that will all come out in due course. Question : do you believe he has had help .. and his answer is ... at this stage he is the only one who has been arrested. Question : "do you believe he dumped her on the side of the Highway .. his answer is a very quiet yes and holds his composure. Not sure but something is missing from him there.
His response on the last question is a bit strange..

It would seem JaneSA, from what was said when DJH was charged with Khandalyce' murder, that she was killed, sealed in the suitcase and then dumped as she was, within the suitcase, on his way through Wynarka on that same journey to SA. Therefore, the bones would be evident much later, following decomposition, which took place inside the suitcase over however long it takes to occur. Bones were never exposed until the suitcase was opened and then they were disturbed and scattered over time. Likely reason that the bones were 'clean'. They were stored, but only in the suitcase. MOO

I remember a number of us at the time debating about Khandalyce being killed and put in the suitcase where she was left to decompose, stored somewhere before being dumped at the side of the road, which would have accounted for the "clean" bones and the state of the material in the suitcase. Yet at the time, the police stated that she had been killed and put in the suitcase at a later date. From memory, I thought they implied she had been put in the suitcase relatively recently to when it was found. (Don't quote me on that though, I would have to trawl back through all the clips again).

I'm pretty sure everyone would have taken a different sleuthing view if it had been originally revealed that she was put in the suitcase after she was killed and dumped at the location she was found pretty much straightaway.

There do seem to be a lot of inconsistencies from the police in these cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez