Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RBBM. Everyone keeps saying that. Imoo it's pretty obvious that the poisoning wasn't caused by any mushrooms that EP may have purchased from a local store (buttons) or an Asian Grocer months previously in Melbourne, which (if she is telling the truth) she used in the lunch. Not saying the victims were not poisoned at the lunch - just saying the source was very likely not store and grocer bought mushrooms if they were amongst the ingredients used. Moo
A side impact of all these “statements” and the obligatory follow-up investigations by LE and the DM is eviscerating small Asian businesses. This is so unfair.

It sounded like the kids ate the leftovers at dinner time the next day.
It doesn't make sense at all.
They all brought a dish for the meal. Did any of the dishes they brought contain mushrooms?

No she's not, but in my head I was semi replying to a previous poster who'd implied she (Erin) might have been throwing her daughter under the bus by saying she'd drawn it. Sorry, I wasn't clear at all. I need to remember y'all can't read my mind haha.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Like, home decorating being a little less 'live laugh love' than normal? Sure, absolutely. But not this mess. It looks more like something you'd find in a drug den and I know people love to stereotype metal fans but I know people in metal bands who are successful corporate career types by day whose houses look totally normal. Music taste is so irrelevant!

What it does remind me of is a young teenage relative of mine who went through a period of intense anxiety and drawing on the wall was one thing she used to do and it did get kinda dark at times. But she was taken to a psychiatrist, and treated. Her music taste runs to Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodriguez, fwiw.
Dark messages on a wall in a house could also reflect an oblique cry for help. First thing I thought of.

It doesn't make sense at all.
They all brought a dish for the meal. Did any of the dishes they brought contain mushrooms?

Supposedly her kids ate the leftover with mushrooms removed because they didn't like mushrooms.

I was wondering if there are some people less affected than others to toxins.

I've read somewhere recently -- possibly in the report on death cap poisonings in China that I posted a while back -- that the level of toxin in death caps can vary somewhat, so some people who have ingested it have experienced milder symptoms than others.

it doesn't really work like that . There are ethical and medico legal issues involved.
Yes, you wouldn’t want a suspect visitor given any chance to finish off a victim. We know from experience how quickly this can happen in a hospital because moms with Munchausen have introduced toxins to their children in hospital settings, even when staff are watchful. Another dose of mushroom powder, even for an instant in micro amounts, would likely be fatal.

Yes, but as I said, it wasn't your post I was referring to. Don't worry about it, I know it wasn't you who said anything about Erin potentially blaming her daughter when it was maybe her. I don't know who said it.

<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

Regarding this article about the dying last words of a victim being passed onto police, significantly
"They heard one of the guest’s dying words and felt the need to pass on what was said to police, the insider said."

Really hope Ian pulls through not only for his own sake (very important) but also because I have a feeling he'll have a lot to add to the case that will be crucial to actually getting charges laid and convictions made if the forensic evidence they can otherwise gather isn't enough.

ETA from the same article

She claimed she was hospitalised after the lunch with bad stomach pains and diarrhoea, put on a saline drip and given a “liver protective drug” despite initial reports she did not get sick.

And the mum-of-two admitted lying to cops when she told them she had dumped a food dehydrator at a local tip “a long time ago” - which was later seized by cops.

Erin said she was at the hospital with her kids “discussing the food dehydrator” when her ex-husband asked: “Is that what you used to poison them?”

Worried she might lose custody of the couple’s children, Erin said she then panicked and dumped the dehydrator at the tip.

What a whole mess she's made, whether intentionally or not.
I wonder if the parents called Simon and gave him their thoughts about the lunch when they got sick. It would be normal for older folks to check in with a son, and this meal was to be a mediated tete a tete about Erin and Simon’s relationship. No way, the parents didn’t give him an update.

IMO LE has a lot of info they haven’t released.

Now that I think of it, EP could have cooked the beef wellington in pie form and spoke to LE as though it was one “log”. From “leftovers” they would have no idea that separate pies were involved.

Now that I think of it, EP could have cooked the beef wellington in pie form and spoke to LE as though it was one “log”. From “leftovers” they would have no idea that separate pies were involved.
Yes, there could have been separate pies of the dish. One with special mushrooms and one with regular mushrooms.

Exactly. Through cooking definitely, and even if put on after.
There have been cases of botulism and e-coli which have spread just through using a knife that had been in contact.
it's absolutely lethal and looks so innocent that one would be forgiven for thinking it safe if one didn't recognise it.

She describes a handwritten label, the stores interviewed said they didn't use them..
Some reports say she was a forager citing sources unknown,
I'm wondering whether she foraged mushrooms and dried them and labelled them?

Could she have used those instead?
Also could somebody have changed labels?
Who exactly had access to her home?

Because none of this makes any sense,

Pay-walled article in The Australian:

Leongatha mushroom deaths: ‘I’ve been painted as evil witch’, laments Erin Patterson

Paraphrased:

EP can’t have fiends over to her house to provide support because of media interest at her house, and that of her sister’s.

She denies being the source of the leak of her police statement to the media. Has no idea how it got out.

Owing to complexity and various other individual factors, the toxicology reports on how the three people died may be many weeks or months away.

Ian Wilkinson, while still very ill, may not require a liver transplant to survive the poisoning.

EP owns a largely vacant townhouse in Mt Waverley worth in the vicinity of $1 million.

Yes, there could have been separate pies of the dish. One with special mushrooms and one with regular mushrooms.
I don't think that was the case because she described scraping mushrooms off the childrens' portions. if she was making separate pies her children would have had mushroom free pies.
I think it was a single dish but remember everybody brought something to the table.
We do not know what they brought.

I don't think that was the case because she described scraping mushrooms off the childrens' portions. if she was making separate pies her children would have had mushroom free pies.
I think it was a single dish but remember everybody brought something to the table.
We do not know what they brought.
She already admitted she lied to the police about a dehydrator. I am not going to assume there is any accuracy in her claim of scraping mushrooms off the dish and feeding it to her children.

I believe that year 7 and year 5 refer to their progress in school rather than their age in years.
That would make them barely teens?

I wonder, in that case, who would be getting them to a movie while mom was tied up with the beef wellington luncheon? 'Cos they wouldn't be driving? But, whaddo I know....some enlightening on AUS grading would help!

This is all a very complicated scenario. I can't imagine concocting beef wellington while organizing children.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member