Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link. I can't see anything there stating that EP remains the sole POI. Maybe I missed it.

I did note the following in the link -

"Daily Mail Australia does not suggest Erin tried to poison Simon or her four guests or is in anyway responsible for their deaths.
There is also no suggestion police suspect she is involved in the deaths or poisonings only that she is a person of interest. "
Point remains, they publicly referred to her as a Person Of Interest.

POI is the new term for suspect. LE uses 'POI' instead of 'suspect' these days, but it means the same thing.

They didn't stop anywhere to eat after lunch because it was only a 15 minute drive back.

If they had another meal together that night before they got sick, we would have heard about it already. It is obvious that the focus has been on the Beef Wellington incident, and continues to be so, weeks later. JMO

They're not obliged to name anybody else or to disclose details of an investigation.
they had very strong words to say about trial by social media.

Deputy Police Commissioner Wendy Steendam told ABC Radio Melbourne: "Working on an investigation through the media is unhelpful to our investigation.

"The matter needs to be dealt with by us, looked at (by) us, and determined by us thoroughly what's actually occurred, and using the evidence that we have to determine and understand exactly what's happened and if we can explain what caused the deaths."

When asked about its contents, the Deputy Commissioner added she thought it would be inappropriate to "speculate" on what remained an active investigation.

"I don’t think it’s helpful to actually comment further on this investigation," she said.

"It is an active matter and when we have more to say publicly, we'll do that. But I think to speculate or to talk about the aspects of the investigation in detail is unhelpful."

Deputy Commissioner Steendam warned on Thursday that the inquiry into the deaths of Ms Patterson's relatives would be lengthy and added that police had been "very clear" in informing the public they were yet to determine the cause.

"We're keeping an open mind about what has actually occurred," she said.

"This needs to be investigated thoroughly. We're working with the health department, and we will take as much time as needed to understand what's occurred and whether or not there are matters that we need to further investigate."

they're keeping an open mind with one - only one - named POI

there may well be others, they're just not telling us.
To do a proper investigation perhaps they need to do things behind the scene and not risk the media getting in the way by chasing any suspect or POI they might name.

It could also alert the person before LE have enough evidence to act.

[bbm]

but she said she did get sick, bad enough to go to the hospital
Ummm, that is questionable. The doctors knew that she had shared a meal with 4 others that were severely ill, whose organs were shutting down. If she had any symptoms suggesting she was suffering a similar fate, they would have kept her in the hospital. IMO

She told them about her stomach ache and diarrhoea apparently. But it didnt seem to rise to the level of serious concern, which is surprising, given the dire circumstances the others were in. JMO

So I don't think she was very sick at at that point. IMO

Mushroom sales fall. Last time it happened with strawberries, the farmers dropped the prices and consumers supported them.

I think when idle baseless accusations affect economy, police needs to think of faster moves to resolve the situation.

Ummm, that is questionable. The doctors knew that she had shared a meal with 4 others that were severely ill, whose organs were shutting down. If she had any symptoms suggesting she was suffering a similar fate, they would have kept her in the hospital. IMO

She told them about her stomach ache and diarrhoea apparently. But it didnt seem to rise to the level of serious concern, which is surprising, given the dire circumstances the others were in. JMO

So I don't think she was very sick at at that point. IMO

oh I know I totally agree
I don't think she was sick at all
but I was replying to a theory that had her not sick and replying that she herself said she was sick so that theory didn't work

ETA: this is the sentence I was replying to - 'But if four people hang out together and they ate foraged mushrooms for breakfast first thing that morning, that would explain how they could have ingested the exact same poison and EP didn't get sick as she literally wasn't there.'

and my reply -

[bbm]

oh I know I totally agree
I don't think she was sick at all
but I was replying to a theory that had her not sick and replying that she herself said she was sick so that theory didn't work

ETA: this is the sentence I was replying to - 'But if four people hang out together and they ate foraged mushrooms for breakfast first thing that morning, that would explain how they could have ingested the exact same poison and EP didn't get sick as she literally wasn't there.'

and my reply -

[bbm]

Oh, got it. I missed the origin

I agree, she was probably not sick at all. If she had a high fever, or fluid in her lungs or her vitals were off, they would have kept her there just in case. JMO

AUG 14, 2023
It's understood that those who died suffered from symptoms consistent with death cap mushroom poisoning, hours after the meal was served at Ms Patterson's home in Leongatha, a town 135 kilometres southeast of Melbourne, on July 29.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/erin-patterson-centre-of-deadly-mushroom-meal-gives-account-unfolding-nightmare-072030569.html

With intention, the POI invites 5 people then prepares a Beef Wellington luncheon. The 4 guests who attend, all 4 of them, fall ill with symptoms of DC poisoning. The hostess does not, according to the Police. Three of the five invitees are no longer alive. One, SP, is in hiding bc he knows he dodged a bullet. A speck of DC would have surely taken him in his already compromised health condition.

The police have her phone and computer. They'll study the data for evidence. They will investigate SP's mysterious long term illness. Criminal Investigators are building their case. This case is gripping in intrigue because poisoning people you know is the epitome of evil and should be confined to fiction like Flowers in the Attic.

This news article covers the numerous contradictions we're dealing with in Erin's story.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/mushroom-death-investigation-erin-patterson-makes-flying-visit-to-melbourne-lawyer-s-office-a-month-after-cooking-fatal-meal/ar-AA1fVa4b

Have the police issued any warnings regarding eating or drinking at establishments, purchasing mushrooms at a store (Asian or otherwise), or in any way led anyone to believe that there is a danger to the public?
Had another common denominator between the 4 been considered by LE - eg the IMHO ludicrous idea of a cafe/restaurant/another family member’s house either before or after lunch - then this would have been a place investigated by police, with forensic evidence collected.
It has to be assumed, given the ONLY site that LE have visited and collected evidence from us EP’s house, that all other possibilities have been ruled out. LE generally do not follow one lead and exhaust it before investigating another - particularly in an instance where there are multiple deaths.

AUG 14, 2023
It's understood that those who died suffered from symptoms consistent with death cap mushroom poisoning, hours after the meal was served at Ms Patterson's home in Leongatha, a town 135 kilometres southeast of Melbourne, on July 29.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/erin-patterson-centre-of-deadly-mushroom-meal-gives-account-unfolding-nightmare-072030569.html

With intention, the POI invites 5 people then prepares a Beef Wellington luncheon. The 4 guests who attend, all 4 of them, fall ill with symptoms of DC poisoning. The hostess does not, according to the Police. Three of the five invitees are no longer alive. One, SP, is in hiding bc he knows he dodged a bullet. A speck of DC would have surely taken him in his already compromised health condition.

The police have her phone and computer. They'll study the data for evidence. They will investigate SP's mysterious long term illness. Criminal Investigators are building their case. This case is gripping in intrigue because poisoning people you know is the epitome of evil and should be confined to fiction like Flowers in the Attic.

This news article covers the numerous contradictions we're dealing with in Erin's story.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/mushroom-death-investigation-erin-patterson-makes-flying-visit-to-melbourne-lawyer-s-office-a-month-after-cooking-fatal-meal/ar-AA1fVa4b

Looks like LE did label her a suspect about a week after the lunch date.

Timeline of the mushroom deaths​

• July 29, Erin Patterson, 48, allegedly served lunch to six people in the town of Leongatha.
  • July 30, Four people who attended the lunch were taken to hospital after falling ill.
  • August 4, Gail Patterson and Heather Wilkinson died in hospital.
  • August 5, Don Patterson died.
  • August 7, Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said the woman who served the meal was a "suspect".

Had another common denominator between the 4 been considered by LE - eg the IMHO ludicrous idea of a cafe/restaurant/another family member’s house either before or after lunch - then this would have been a place investigated by police, with forensic evidence collected.
It has to be assumed, given the ONLY site that LE have visited and collected evidence from us EP’s house, that all other possibilities have been ruled out. LE generally do not follow one lead and exhaust it before investigating another - particularly in an instance where there are multiple deaths.
I don't think it's "ludicrous" at all to consider the possibility that the two couples may have consumed further food or beverages later on the day of EP's lunch. It's something which I, and others within my social circle do frequently. Main get-together - lunch - there for several hours - lively conversation - when heading back home, invite the others in for a cuppa and/or snack.
The four were close, and maybe wanted to keep the chat going for a while. Nothing "ludicrous" about that, in my opinion. Why do you think it is "ludicrous"?

Additionally, you state that if this occurred, "then this would have been a place investigated by police, with forensic evidence collected." How do you know that this has not occurred. Maybe it has.

Also, you stated "It has to be assumed, given the *ONLY site that LE have visited and collected evidence from is EP's house, that all other possibiliities have been ruled out." How do you know that it is "the only site which LE have visited, and collected evidence from?"

Investigators are going to keep their cards close to their chest, and not inform the public of investigative details if at all possible. To do otherwise could potentially adversely affect the integrity of the investigation. MOO

*Your capital letters - not mine.

Looks like LE did label her a suspect about a week after the lunch date.

Timeline of the mushroom deaths​

• July 29, Erin Patterson, 48, allegedly served lunch to six people in the town of Leongatha.
  • July 30, Four people who attended the lunch were taken to hospital after falling ill.
  • August 4, Gail Patterson and Heather Wilkinson died in hospital.
  • August 5, Don Patterson died.
  • August 7, Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said the woman who served the meal was a "suspect".

True. EP was named a suspect at least by August 7. It has simply been ignored by some.

The evidence that the public is aware of is damning. Lying about taking a dehydrator to the community bin is part of her troubles. SPs illness. A friend said she possessed multiple books about mushrooms. She was a forager.

The police are trained to recognize suspicious deaths. Here we have multiple deaths related to the DC mushrooms served in a meal. It is horrifying to consider.

She's cunning and sly with her words, both spoken and written. She is a proven liar. The Investigation will prove whether or not she knowingly fatally injured these lovely people.

Have you got any links to say they were well and talking?

Victoria Police have launched a homicide investigation, and are treating Ms Patterson as a suspect in the killings.

Erin Patterson has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged by Victoria Police.

At an emotional memorial for his parents in Gippsland on Thursday, Simon Patterson, 49, revealed the final text his mother sent to the family group chat as she lay dying in hospital.

“It was no fluke that mum’s final text message on our family group chat as she lay in Dandenong hospital was: ‘Lots of love to you all’,
” Mr Patterson told 350 mourners, according to the NCA NewsWire.

Point remains, they publicly referred to her as a Person Of Interest.

POI is the new term for suspect. LE uses 'POI' instead of 'suspect' these days, but it means the same thing.

They didn't stop anywhere to eat after lunch because it was only a 15 minute drive back.

If they had another meal together that night before they got sick, we would have heard about it already. It is obvious that the focus has been on the Beef Wellington incident, and continues to be so, weeks later. JMO
Could they themselves have eaten poisonous mushrooms before the meal? MOO

IMO, we just have very little information ATM.
There is nothing wrong with keeping your mind open for all possibilities until we have more facts to narrow it down.
There is nothing wrong with going only with the most probable theory until we have more facts to introduce next ones.
This is just a difference in the approach, kinda like with inductive and deductive teaching.

As for the case, I would love to get to know more about the people involved and about the meeting that took place that day. I do understand why we're not getting this, though. Actually, I think the US-style crime coverage is pretty rare, in most of Europe I think we get barely any info about the people involved, often only first names/initials. At least until someone is sentenced.

I do understand why we're not getting this, though. Actually, I think the US-style crime coverage is pretty rare, in most of Europe I think we get barely any info about the people involved, often only first names/initials. At least until someone is sentenced.

IMO, the problem with suppressing names (and faces) in a multitude of cases is that the public does not get a chance to report stuff they may have witnessed in relation to the accused that may be relevant -- be that beneficial or detrimental to the accused's case.

I understand the principle of no comments while a matter is sub judice, but hiding the identities of every person charged or under suspicion is not good for justice IMO.

Could they themselves have eaten poisonous mushrooms before the meal? MOO

I guess they would have had their own lives looked into and scrutinised for if they could have unwittingly been the source of the toxin / mushroom. As all these people live in nature and are fit and healthy, there's a possibility that all of them go foraging on a regular basis.

If the 4 victims in question had eaten together anywhere else, either before or after the famous (or infamous) lunch, IMO it would have definitely been at a private home, either one of theirs, or maybe SP's. If it had been anywhere else, the establishment in question would have said so weeks ago. No way would they not have heard about it. Everyone in the district would have been talking about it, in fact the whole state and country is. I am in Sydney, and just 2 days ago my doctor asked me what I thought about the case! No, there was no cafe, restaurant, etc involved. Not possible.
IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members