Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a new technology DNA testing that is to do with pubic hair. Apparently the main problem in the past has been that in most cases the perpetrators pubic hair didn't have roots as it was 'shedding' hair and partly degraded.

One element that doesn't degrade is bacteria.

Females have on average 76 sorts of bacteria and males 73.

The bacteria mix is like a microbial fingerprint maybe this is how Hart got nicked and KK and CG got linked.

Another reason for pursuing this line of research is that perpetrators have been outwitting police by being more forensically aware wearing condoms and taking them away to dispose of else wear etc.

Thank you so much for this information.

My first instinct is to think that they subsequently found pubic hairs on CG they were able to test. However, if they had a solid DNA profile from KK from the beginning I would assume that any DNA they got from CG or JR at the beginning would match that. So maybe they only got pubic hairs (or something else that couldn't be tested comprehensively at the time/something with different forensic information) from KK as well and that wasn't tested until later.

However, I still wonder then how familial DNA and a subsequent direct test on BRE would link to everything. Unless it's a case of "A links to B which links to C which links to D".

(Comment not directed at you janwa, just following on from the information provided).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And perp borrowing victims pink fluffy slippers so he/she doesn't leave footprints or shoe prints! Lol [emoji23]

Posts my opinion unless source included. All my original text/images are my personal copyright and can't be reproduced outside of WebSleuths without my permission.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]
.....And shower cap to avoid dropping hair at the scene 🤣[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Akai - you certainly do have all your marbles! I been saying exactly the same things a few pages back, and for ages. Sending my spooky-self crazy until late at night, trying to nail down the logic, sequence, and operational reasons Macro did what they did.

There is soooooooo much we don't know.

Apologies for missing your comments on this earlier. It's hard to read everything when I've missed a few days of posts.

Even with the information provided by janwa I think something is missing. I've commented on that when quoting janwa's post on bacteria analysis so won't repeat myself here.

But glad I am not going mad.

I’m eager to find out if the KK victim has identified BRE as her attacker.

Could she, though? From what I've read she was blindfolded and didn't get a clear look. Not saying she couldn't, but I got the impression she didn't have much detail on what he looked like.

In relation to police holding up the Kimono for photos & leaving DNA.. ...SURELEY they are holding up another one & not the one found at the crime scene. Back then, every 2nd person who ever went to Bali had one. Happy Coats, I think they were called.

DNA tech was pretty low at that point (1997). Maybe they didn't have an entire footprint at that time of CG DNA?

Look at the kimono and the fact they tested with new technology.

The property room would be vast and underfunded at the time? Officers early in the rape investigation felt the crimes of CG and KK may have been connected.

As part of a continuing operation to retest old evidence with new technology, officers from the State Crime Operations team did DNA tests on the kimono.

Police claim the DNA samples came back as a match to samples already on the police database — samples that had been recovered from the body of the third Claremont victim, Ciara Glennon, and from a 17-year-old woman who was grabbed in a Claremont street in 1995 and then assaulted at the nearby Karrakatta cemetery.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cla...t/news-story/cdad7c5a6b825958b6d46cb11eb44c75

It's very hard to say.

I think a lot depends on what they had from KK and whether it was able to be tested at the time or later on. The impression I got (not explicitly stated but seemed to be the implication) from reports is that they had fairly comprehensive DNA from KK and right from the beginning. If that was the case then any DNA from CG that was able to rule out taxi drivers would I assume connect to KK as well. But maybe that is not the case. Maybe they had limited forensics from that attack and/or maybe it too couldn't be tested at the time.

Could she, though? From what I've read she was blindfolded and didn't get a clear look. Not saying she couldn't, but I got the impression she didn't have much detail on what he looked like.

IIRC she was able to give hair color, height & age estimates so she must have caught a glimpse of the perp or been able to see through the hood that was put on her head.

In relation to police holding up the Kimono for photos & leaving DNA.. ...SURELEY they are holding up another one & not the one found at the crime scene. Back then, every 2nd person who ever went to Bali had one. Happy Coats, I think they were called.

That pic isn’t too good if someone working evidence from different cases is handling it with no gloves. Easy for a cross transfer!! Moo

Good point, and I would hope so!

IIRC she was able to give hair color, height & age estimates so she must have caught a glimpse of the perp or been able to see through the hood that was put on her head.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought she was able to provide. Not sure if she saw enough to be able to identify his face clearly and pick him out directly. However, smell and the sound of his voice might be identifiable.

Drt , theres an identikit picture also .

Post # 541 - # 548 , date mar 06 , 2017 thread #14
Southside rapist discussion .

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13357311

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13357437

http://aussiecriminals.com.au/convicted-of-serious-crime-list/comment-page-1/#comments

Apparently in a book ,
"Eating Goldfish and Other Delicacies" Garlett is referred to as the southside rapist :

February 12, 2012
Hi,
I am trying to find information on a serial rapist from the 80s in the Perth area he was convicted on 16 rape charges and possibly 1 murder he was named the south side rapist he is due to be released from the bunbury prison this year I know this is not much information but I am hoping someone remembers this guy ?

There were two replies

'May 28, 2012
comment :

'Paul stephen keating is possible the person you refer to. He is being detained indefinitely'

March 20, 2014
Comment :

'Donald Garlett is the name you are looking for, you will find heaps of information on him in my jail book “Eating Goldfish and Other Delicacies by Trevor Dunen, look in the chapeter “The Upholstery Shop”. Best regards '
Release from prison is not guaranteed. There's been quite a number refused already, such as Unwin
https://twitter.com/WAtoday/status/970453836610416641

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought she was able to provide. Not sure if she saw enough to be able to identify his face clearly and pick him out directly. However, smell and the sound of his voice might be identifiable.

By all accounts he did not say a word! Which in that situation, is incredibly self controlled.

By all accounts he did not say a word! Which in that situation, is incredibly self controlled.

I did not know that so thank you.

And yes, agree: VERY controlled, meticulous, planned. Which provides some insight for me as to how the CSK may never have revealed anything to anyone in 20 years.

I did not know that so thank you.

And yes, agree: VERY controlled, meticulous, planned. Which provides some insight for me as to how the CSK may never have revealed anything to anyone in 20 years.

Maybe he didn’t speak as his voice may recognised!!!!!! Moo

HUGE PROBLEM! Private funding used to buffer police investigations could undermine the prosecution case!

Excerpt from transcript of "Courage of our Convictions"

Gerald Tooth: It's Terry O'Gorman's view that private funding has dangerously skewed the Claremont Serial Killer investigation through the use of policing methods that have the capacity to undermine some of the fundamental underpinnings of our judicial system, such as the presumption of innocence which must be afforded every individual up until the time they are found guilty of a crime by a jury of their peers.
He says private funding is a slippery slope that sees police beholden to their benefactors in more ways than one.
For example, in asking the Secure Community Foundation for funding for certain investigative tools, private citizens on the Foundation's board are made aware of details of the investigation, a situation Terry O'Gorman argues is untenable.

Terry O'Gorman: Now it's that sort of worrying implications for fairness in the criminal justice system that I see arising from private funding of criminal investigations. Of course, if we want to get a conviction at any cost, if we want to get a conviction notwithstanding the possibility of a miscarriage of justice, fine. But if we want a fair trial, if we want a balanced trial, then private community funding of police in particular investigations is a major worry.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...ge-of-our-convictions---the-claremont/3473202

Ding Ding Ding Ding! Can you hear that? Warning bells.....!!!

It's very hard to say.

I think a lot depends on what they had from KK and whether it was able to be tested at the time or later on. The impression I got (not explicitly stated but seemed to be the implication) from reports is that they had fairly comprehensive DNA from KK and right from the beginning. If that was the case then any DNA from CG that was able to rule out taxi drivers would I assume connect to KK as well. But maybe that is not the case. Maybe they had limited forensics from that attack and/or maybe it too couldn't be tested at the time.

Cord was used on both crimes?

Police were not very pro DNA analysis at the time.

They certainly did look far and wide. In fact they had searched all the males in the area, hundreds of taxi drivers.

Someone had been careful not to turn up on a database. In fact someone had been flat out careful with all aspects of the crime.

It helped to know where the cameras were. On fact we don't know what level of communications were used to sniff even on police.

No doubt policy and procedure of security will change all this now. Who installs security etc.

BBM

The very first in the world DNA "fingerprinting" as they called it in the UK was to solve the murders of two school girls, they conducted testing on over 5,000 males in the surrounding areas! They got their man!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/code-killer-itv-show-capture-5420104

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member