GUILTY Australia - Daniel Morcombe, 13, Woombye, QLD, 7 Dec 2003 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Daniel Morcombe Child Safety Curriculum

The Department of Education, Training and Employment, in partnership with the Daniel Morcombe Foundation, has developed the Daniel Morcombe Child Safety Curriculum.

The curriculum consists of classroom lessons across three phases of learning: Prep - Year 2 (Early Years), Years 3 - 6 and Years 7 - 9 (Junior Secondary).

The curriculum is available to all Queensland schools and aims to teach children about personal safety and awareness, including cybersafety and phone safety, by focusing on three key safety messages: Recognise, React and Report.

The curriculum was developed in consultation with Bruce and Denise Morcombe, the Commissioner for Children and Young People and Child Guardian and representatives from the Department of Education, Training and Employment, Queensland Police Service, and the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services, as well as experts in child safety education.

http://education.qld.gov.au/parents/school-life/child-safety-curriculum.html

Thanks for this info, Marly. Such important work. And once again, I am struck by the beautiful nature of the Morcombe's.

Marlywings, your post at the end of last Thread was poignant, absolutely beautiful. Bruce Morcombe's tatoo in memory of Daniel being held together in our hearts, so we will never forget Daniel - warm, loving yet poignant. Thank you for such a beautiful image so appropriate for the end of the Thread IMO.

I prayed last night that this piece of garbage would get life without parole.

Lol!! I had a dream that my husband abandoned me on the morning of Tough Mudder (we're doing another one soon). So I had to run it by myself. So no, there were no rocks in my dream .... just lots and lots of mud!

ABC News ‏@abcnews 1h
Psychologist who treated Daniel #Morcombe's killer Brett Peter Cowan gives insight into child sex offenders http://ab.co/1qBUl0u

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-14/psychologist-daniel-morcombe-brett-cowan/5322414

Daniel Morcombe: Psychologist who treated killer Brett Peter Cowan gives insight into child sex offenders
By John Taylor

Updated 2 hours 11 minutes ago

A psychologist who treated Daniel Morcombe's killer has given an insight into the mind of a serial child sex offender and how the prison system attempts to rehabilitate them...

When I saw the photo of Cowan beside a photo of Daniel on the front page of the SMH today, I had the disturbing impression that they could almost be mistaken for relatives because of similarities in their appearance. It made me wonder if that vague similarity may have been what prompted Cowan to kidnap Daniel in 2003.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/toug...ims-daniel-morcombe-judge-20140314-34rv9.html

I missed any similarity Theodora.

Daniel had the angel face and the other had the horns.
I wished Daniel to be alive and the other I wished him dead.
No I missed any similarities.

:floorlaugh: Enjoyed the humour TGY. I was the one with the hangman's noose. Saw a couple of Journos there too!

Haha I thought it was a chainsaw Fusky. Yeah I saw you revving the guts out of it with a strange look in your eyes!
Um & a lot of other WSers lined up behind!

Oops settle down TGY. :truce:

ABC News ‏@abcnews 1h
Psychologist who treated Daniel #Morcombe's killer Brett Peter Cowan gives insight into child sex offenders http://ab.co/1qBUl0u

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-14/psychologist-daniel-morcombe-brett-cowan/5322414

Daniel Morcombe: Psychologist who treated killer Brett Peter Cowan gives insight into child sex offenders
By John Taylor

Updated 2 hours 11 minutes ago

A psychologist who treated Daniel Morcombe's killer has given an insight into the mind of a serial child sex offender and how the prison system attempts to rehabilitate them...

This bit I agree with:

"There are opportunities in schools, the kids who are in trouble in schools, there are often opportunities with health services and other counselling support services and so on.

"So I think one of the important lessons in these kinds of cases, when we're dealing with the most serious and persistent offenders, I think we need to be thinking about investing more in early intervention services."

IMO it's pointless waiting until it's well and truly entrenched once puberty hits......and there are always signs in childhood.

All of the children I worked with who were sexually abused showed signs of it and 'acted out' in various ways, none of them subtle!!

Teachers need more training in recognising signs of serious emotional disturbance in children IMO, rather than writing them off as 'difficult' or 'naughty'. The children are trying to tell us something when they are off the wall!! And, apart from the families, it is teachers who have the most daily contact with children.

Hmm... just wondering .... When, where, how and why, in all history did "Rehabilitation" become part of any equation where murder is involved?
And subsequently, when, where, how, and why has that "argument" (or bull-dust, or lame-duck excuse, or call it what you will) been the cause for a reduced sentence?
For all of these poor excuses for humanity Numero-Uno is all that matters.

This bit I agree with:

IMO it's pointless waiting until it's well and truly entrenched once puberty hits......and there are always signs in childhood.

All of the children I worked with who were sexually abused showed signs of it and 'acted out' in various ways, none of them subtle!!

Teachers need more training in recognising signs of serious emotional disturbance in children IMO, rather than writing them off as 'difficult' or 'naughty'. The children are trying to tell us something when they are off the wall!! And, apart from the families, it is teachers who have the most daily contact with children.

BBM. So very well said: "it's well and truly entrenched once puberty hits" and "the children are trying to tell us something when they are off the wall". Let's not write them off as 'difficult' or 'naughty'. We need early intervention.

:goodpost:

Lol!! I had a dream that my husband abandoned me on the morning of Tough Mudder (we're doing another one soon). So I had to run it by myself. So no, there were no rocks in my dream .... just lots and lots of mud!

Ooooo Fruits you've got my attention, NUDE MUD WRESTLING?

When I first saw the photo of Cowan I was amazed at how ordinary he looked. Did anyone see the interview with him from 1999 where he claimed to be a reformed Christian man? The interview was conducted on the streets of Brisbane a few years after he had been released from prison. You could say he was a good-looking man. Totally deceptive appearance in that he seemed to be so charming and almost charismatic on the outside, with a quite endearing smile to boot. So disturbing to realise the sickness he had hid behind the facade. Of course, I feel very guilty for thinking this, but I still feel as though it's important to address how deceptive appearances can be. It also doesn't change the fact that he's an absolutely inhuman predator.

5319756-16x9-512x288.jpg

I know I couldn't pick it there. For anyone who wants to see the interview, it's available here:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s3962939.htm

When I first saw the photo of Cowan I was amazed at how ordinary he looked. Did anyone see the interview with him from 1999 where he claimed to be a reformed Christian man? The interview was conducted on the streets of Brisbane a few years after he had been released from prison. You could say he was a good-looking man. Totally deceptive appearance in that he seemed to be so charming and almost charismatic, with a quite endearing smile. Of course, I feel very guilty for thinking this, but I still feel as though it's important to address how deceptive appearances can be. It also doesn't change the fact that he's an absolutely inhuman predator.

I know I couldn't pick it there. For anyone who wants to see the interview, it's available here:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s3962939.htm

janeom74 I saw it and I totally agree with you. I would have been totally deceived with him looking and acting like that.
Could it be the drugs that created the gaunt appearance we saw.

From what I've read Cowan had been abusing drugs since an adolescent, so I don't think it explains the gaunt appearance he has today, unless years of recreation use has done it. Or perhaps the stress of looming jail time and all the notoriety of his person had something to do with it. He seems to have been a lanky figure all of his life however, and he did have open heart surgery in his early twenties.

I sort of felt less guilty for thinking his appearance was almost enticing when an article also described him as being a 'handsome young man' who was considered well liked and easy going... I initially thought it couldn't be the same man. I think the reason it's so shocking is because he has that kind of familiar face that passes you by everyday. He doesn't look like a sex offender or a serial pedophile by any stretch.

Such a shame he wasted his life doing such sick things. I bet his family are more than embarrassed. He's where he belongs now and if there is a hell, he'll certainly end up in it.

My cousin's daughter has three children, the boy is downright scary.
He is now 15 and has always been violent and highly sexual, he masturbates even in public.
He's in a special school but what happens now?
I know there is something really wrong, he's medicated but I feel he should be put away because he's a big strong boy, soon to be a man.
I don't know what the name of the problem is but he also doesn't feel pain.

All the medical geniuses out there but ultimately he's sent home with some tablets.
How many others are out there?

It is socially unacceptable to discriminate? I think society should grow a spine!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back