GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side- if he has top representation now, could there be less chance he will be able to appeal later?

On the flip side- if he has top representation now, could there be less chance he will be able to appeal later?

He has a bigger chance of getting manslaughter too probably.. I have such a bad feeling about this case. If he doesn't get murder and life (a real life sentence, not just 20 years) for Jill, not to mention all other charges, I will lose any trust in our legal system.

No wonder people take matters into their own hands.

MURDER TRIAL STALLED AMID LEGAL AID VICTORIA'S FUNDING CRISIS

Listen nowDownload audio
Broadcast:Monday 18 February 2013 7:15PM (view full episode)
There is a major problem with Legal Aid in Victoria.

A second serious criminal trial has been put on hold indefinitely because of cost cutting.

It's a double murder trial, and the judge says it can't go ahead because accused would get a barrister, but only two-and-a-half days with an instructing solicitor.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...-legal-aid-victoria27s-funding-crisis/4525588

This could be the reason why Bayley is getting carte blanche representation .... trying to avoid a problem with his trial due to costs.
They need to get this high profile case through a full trial, and so Bayley is getting the royal treatment. I can't imagine the uproar if this trial got delayed.

Still stinks though!

(And wouldn't he be seeing legal reps for both Jill's trial and the other rape charge? Or maybe he has the same legal reps for both cases.)

A solicitor twice a day ... really? why is that necessary?

Yes that expense tab would be looking quite inflated I believe.

* As for this "Mad Dog" on the loose it's all over the radio, online, telly... pretty good getting his face out there & being made aware ( especially living a stones throw from the area of his last alleged attack!) . He is not someone who should be living among us.

"The likelihood is, in my view, that future sexual offending would involve rape or other non-consensual sexual activity accompanied by violence," Judge Patrick said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-new...rt/story-fncynjr2-1226587349764#ixzz2MCDUn0Yv

A solicitor twice a day ... really? why is that necessary?

Yes that expense tab would be looking quite inflated I believe.

* As for this "Mad Dog" on the loose it's all over the radio, online, telly... pretty good getting his face out there & being made aware ( especially living a stones throw from the area of his last alleged attack!) . He is not someone who should be living among us.

"The likelihood is, in my view, that future sexual offending would involve rape or other non-consensual sexual activity accompanied by violence," Judge Patrick said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-new...rt/story-fncynjr2-1226587349764#ixzz2MCDUn0Yv

So when this happens (what Judge Patrick said) what will we tell the children/spouse/parents/friends of the victim? Oops, sorry we made a mistake.

Never would I have thought I would be saying this, but for some repeat offenders especially for non-consensual sexual activity with violence and/or murder, maybe Australia should rethink it's death penalty laws. We have to get back to basics and keep the victims rights as the priority. An offender should be deemed to have given up his/her rights when they committed the crime.

And the sooner lawyers start asking their clients initially if they are guilty, the better. Now that would be ethical! Our legal system is a joke.

What date is AB's committal due to start? Anyone know how long the courts have set aside for it?

What date is AB's committal due to start? Anyone know how long the courts have set aside for it?

March 12th, 13th Adrian Ernest Bayley: Committal Hearing for murder charges Jill Meagher. March 15th evidence will be given to Lawyers regarding the 7 new charges. April 26th he will attend Court re the 7 hew charges - depending upon the Victorian Legal Aide funding situation.

Doesn't this make your blood boil?
Disgraceful....

"JILL Meagher's alleged killer is getting "Rolls-Royce" taxpayer-funded legal representation despite other accused criminals having their aid cut. "

"He was represented by both a barrister and solicitor in at least one procedural hearing before a magistrate - which is rare under Victoria Legal Aid guidelines.
And the cash-strapped VLA has funded a solicitor to visit Mr Bayley up to twice a day since his September arrest, legal sources say."

http://www.news.com.au/national/vip...meaghers-murder/story-fncynjr2-1226587207584#

In NSW Legal Aid is very hard to get for clients, especially for civil matters, yet their website proudly proclaims that they approved funding recently for about 100 crew members of people smuggling boats who are currently in detention.
JMO

March 12th, 13th Adrian Ernest Bayley: Committal Hearing for murder charges Jill Meagher. March 15th evidence will be given to Lawyers regarding the 7 new charges. April 26th he will attend Court re the 7 hew charges - depending upon the Victorian Legal Aide funding situation.

They won't have a choice, judge won't allow matter to proceed unless he's legally represented. :twocents:

In the end it would save money because experienced legal reps assist the process of justice/the Court which saves time and the huge costs of running a trial. And yes, if he had legal rep/s who made a dog's breakfast of his defence, more chance to appeal.

In the end it would save money because experienced legal reps assist the process of justice/the Court which saves time and the huge costs of running a trial. And yes, if he had legal rep/s who made a dog's breakfast of his defence, more chance to appeal.

Good. Let him have proper representation now. Then lock him up and throw the key away. I don't want Jill's family to have to endure more than one trial. It's going to be hard enough, can you imagine having to deal with appeals too? :(

She was found last night safe and well... saw post on SA facebook wall ( I don't think i'm aloud to post link or copy& paste)

Oh good! They must've done that to get her home! Thank you!

Ps. You're allowed to post links from media and definitely the police wall :)

X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members