GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be all over with a "Guilty" plea before today is out. And I hope that whoever does his sentencing is made well aware of his previous form, and that he is marked "Never to be released". Do they have that provision in Victoria?

I'm not sure whether thats possible in Victoria, but I'm with you on the desire! I'd be so pleased for the family if the case 'ends' with a guilty plea on all charges today and sentencing shortly thereafter. Not that it 'ends' for them in terms of living with this tragedy, but certainly not having every vile detail hashed out in court and the uncertainty of a verdict.

10.11am: Mr Bayley killed Ms Meagher as she was the only witness to the crime, Chief Crown prosecutor Gavin Silbert, SC, said in a short opening at the start of Mr Bayley's committal hearing.

Mr Silbert told Magistrate Felicity Broughton that Ms Meagher had left the Etiquette Bar about 1.30am on September 22 and was "accosted" at 1.38am.

It was alleged Mr Bayley dragged Ms Meagher into the laneway and committed vaginal, oral and anal rape before strangling her.

Mr Silbert said Mr Bayley left Ms Meagher's body in the lane way and returned home where he collected a shovel and returned in his car about 4.20am.

He put Ms Meagher's body in the boot and drove her to Blackhill Rd in Gisborne South where he buried her, the court was told.

After his arrest, Mr Bayley made admissions to raping and strangling Ms Meagher and directed police to the body, Mr Silbert said.

The committal continues.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...an-ernest-bayley/story-fnat79vb-1226595139031

Oh. My. God. :sick: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Poor Jill. My heart is breaking for Tom and Jill's family :cry:

Hamish Fitzsimmons ‏@hamishfitz
Adjournment as discussion about what to release in Jill Meagher case evidence. Described by Magistrate as extremely distressing & sensitive

I'm thinking this is where a suppression order may be issued on some details of the case.

Karen Huf‏@KarenHuf

Adrian Bayley committed to stand trial in the Supreme Court. @9newsmelb #jillmeagher

Cath Webber ‏@cathwebber
#BREAKING: Jill #Meagher hearing adjourned while legal parties discuss what material will be released to the media http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...an-ernest-bayley/story-fndo2dsc-1226595139031 …

Cath Webber ‏@cathwebber
#BREAKING Jill #Meagher's alleged rapist/killer not been asked for plea.Defence barrister seeks instruction in cells http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...an-ernest-bayley/story-fndo2dsc-1226595139031 …

Peter Mitchell ‏@Peter_Mitchell7
Yes, the court details in the Jill #Meagher case are harrowing, but please remember there is no verdict yet. Social media users beware!

Adjournment as discussion about what to release in Jill Meagher case evidence. Described by Magistrate as extremely distressing & sensitive

I'm thinking this is where a suppression order may be issued on some details of the case.

Its not something that bears thinking about.. but my thinking is whether it relates to him going back to collect the body around 4am.. did he do something then- 'interfere' with her body then.. before taking her and burying her.

I feel sick. Poor, poor Jill. I can't stop thinking about how horrific her last moments were. Just...anger. This better not see freedom again.

Karen Huf‏@KarenHuf

Adrian Bayley committed to stand trial in the Supreme Court. @9newsmelb #jillmeagher

Couldn't he just plead guilty and save Tom and Jill's family the pain of a trial!? He has already admitted to everything. :furious: :furious:

Kate Osborn‏@_kate_osborn

Adrian Bayley committed to stand trial over Jill Meagher's death. Pleaded guilty to 1x rape, not guilty to murder, and 2x rape. #7newsmelb

I'm not sure whether thats possible in Victoria, but I'm with you on the desire! I'd be so pleased for the family if the case 'ends' with a guilty plea on all charges today and sentencing shortly thereafter. Not that it 'ends' for them in terms of living with this tragedy, but certainly not having every vile detail hashed out in court and the uncertainty of a verdict.

Life means life in Victoria.

http://sentencingcouncil.vic.gov.au.../sentencing-information/law/maximum-penalties

Read about Julian Knight's sentence here there is no need to change the law because life means life. Even with a NPP set.

I agree however, it would be good if they could make 100% sure right from the sentencing and leave it at that.

Adrian Bayley committed to stand trial over Jill Meagher's death. Pleaded guilty to 1x rape, not guilty to murder, and 2x rape. #7newsmelb

He's going to say the murder was manslaughter because he didn't mean to kill her. Too bad. That's felony murder because the death was a result of a crime which carries the possibility of a sentence for 10 years or more so that's still life. He's wasting everyone's time with semantics.

Details here: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

Adrian Bayley pleads not guilty to murder of Jill Meagher.
Just now... he pleaded guilty to one count of rape, not guilty to murder. Must be incomprehensibly harrowing for the family.

Soooo, he committed one heinous crime against her, but not the 2nd and 3rd assaults or the murder?? All this, despite leading the Police to her body and telling them the gruesome details? He's placed himself at the scene by admitting guilt on one of the rapes, but I can't understand how he thinks he'll escape justice on the rest... I'm so angry her family have to go through more and more pain.

Wonder what his lady barrister thinks about that plea? Was it her idea? Or his? She had to go down to the cells to confer with him about the plea.

Soooo, he committed one heinous crime against her, but not the 2nd and 3rd assaults or the murder?? All this, despite leading the Police to her body and telling them the gruesome details? He's placed himself at the scene by admitting guilt on one of the rapes, but I can't understand how he thinks he'll escape justice on the rest... I'm so angry her family have to go through more and more pain.

He's hoping by pleading guilty to the rape he'll somehow get less than 10 years for those two and a manslaughter conviction on the murder which gives him a change of parole in the far flung future.

Not going to happen. He will cop more than 10 years for the rapes on JM alone which qualifies him for life on manslaughter if he does by some miracle achieve that, so that then becomes murder anyway, which means life.

I think he'll get murder for the death of JM regardless, so really he's just hoping against hope he'll somehow have a chance of release one day. But he wont.

He's admitting to the act, but not the charge if that makes sense.

I feel nauseous reading what happened to her. I can't even imagine what he did that isn't being released. I'm furious. When he's found guilty of murder there will be no leniency due to a guilty plea. He'll rot in there. He better anyway.

I don't get how he can admit to it then deny it later? Is he saying he didn't realize she was dead when he left her because he didn't mean to kill her? But then why come back with a shovel?

Poor Tom. What a true gentleman he has been through all this.

:furious:

I hope the judge and jury see past that excrement.

If, and I hate discussing the details, there is evidence of him in three parts of her body (sorry :( ), how can he claim one rape only? :waitasec: that's obviously why he wants his own forensic testing, but really?

I'm so sorry Tom and Jill's family will have to go through a trial.

Argh! I am so angry. He should just plead guilty to it all and be sent to jail for life. No trial.

Jill's family have suffered enough! :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members