Found Deceased Australia - Karen Chetcuti, 49, Whorouly, Vic, 12 Jan 2016 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wasn't it reported that another neighbour said they saw a white vehicle leaving Karen's property closely followed by Karen's car? Or maybe I've got that A about T.

Trooper, your suggestion that MC may have towed Karen's car to Myrtleford may be on the money. There's not a lot of traffic on the Whorouly Road into Myrtleford late at night and as you said, it is pitch black out there. The only problem he would have faced is if the local boys in blue were out patrolling.

Yes... it was that remark ('closely followed') that made me think it could have been towed, at least partly, perhaps just round the corner to his place, then hauled up on a trailer that he couldn't get down Karen's drive and turn round, and her drive is a bit long to back a trailer down in the dark..

The other thing is.. he would have to be able to offer a reward, some benefit to someone to (a) pick him up and drive him from Myrtleford to Whorouly after setting fire to the car. Or (b).. he then has to offer a huge benefit to this un named driver once the shhite hits the fan re her reported disappearance. . what could he offer someone to keep quiet about it? Hardly enough, in my opinion. Nothing would be enough.

It is , in any sense of the word, a small community, all along the Ovens and Buffalo Rivers.... lots of related people, lots of family farmers, people who run tourist operations, everyone knows everyone else, it isn't large enough in population for anyone to stay invisible for long.. people know each others connections, they know who is related to whom, who is long term , who is a blow in, who is a tourist, who owns what, and the value of it, it's just the way country people go about the daily routine.

And I think that many people steered clear of this particular bloke. He may have been allowed to go about his business, but I would imagine that people would be wary of him. ...

I know the area very well Trooper. Called that beautiful part of the world home for many years.

I'm curious to know what colour and make of car MC was driving when he was arrested in Melbourne and who it actually belongs to. He apparently phoned a family member and told them he had been kidnapped and was in the boot of this particular car and was even able to give a good description of it. :facepalm:

I know the area very well Trooper. Called that beautiful part of the world home for many years.

I'm curious to know what colour and make of car MC was driving when he was arrested in Melbourne and who it actually belongs to. He apparently phoned a family member and told them he had been kidnapped and was in the boot of this particular car and was even able to give a good description of it. :facepalm:

Its a lucky person who calls that part of the world home.. . I love the scale of it.. the mountains are just right, the rivers are just right, even the fields are just the right size, ....I've only been a visitor, a tourist, ...

I got the impression, that the D's found his car, his utility , at home in the garage when they went to speak with him, then found he wasn't at home, anywhere on either property... so it is reasonably logical to say he used someone else's car.. his sisters, his mothers, his bro in law... another point that makes me think the rest of the family was away and he was in charge of both homes at the time. :thinking: and had all the car keys...

Another thing.. this is not a bright person. .. There is something not ticking right ,even pics of him portray this unavoidable conclusion..

He will face the Wangaratta Magistrates’ Court later this morning. At the hearing a police officer alleged Cardamone “overpowered and incapacitated” 49-year-old Ms Chetcuti after she went to his home to buy a punnet of tomatoes, the Herald Sun reported.

Cardamone was questioned by homicide detectives in Melbourne and driven to the region on Monday before being charged with murder at an out-of-sessions court hearing around 1am on Tuesday.

She had just ended a relationship with another man around Christmas time, according to the Border Mail.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...189eaf632?sv=1acdd3023bd670b2c928c633b40c69ff

Michael Cardamone, 48, was this morning charged with Ms Chetcuti's murder at an out-of-sessions court hearing held at the Wangaratta police station about 1:30am.

Police alleged Cardamone overpowered and incapacitated her, and murdered her somewhere between Whorouly and Dandongedale.

It was also alleged that Cardamone took Ms Chetcuti's car and burnt it two days later.

He declined to make a statement and said only that he was on prescription medication.

Bail justice Michael Guinane told the hearing the law in Victoria did not allow bail on a murder charge and the outcome of the hearing was fixed.

Cardamone was formally remanded to face the magistrates court in Wangaratta later on Tuesday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-...charged-with-murder-of-karen-chetcuti/7097156

I knew it was coming but it's still so sad :(

Agree, it's sad Acidtear. As time went on and she remained 'missing' - together with her burned out car - it looked ominous.
I'm relieved the police have found her - as sad as that is - for her family and the community. Sadly, we know now that she has been murdered, allegedly by her deviant neighbour.

I do not believe his story that she came to his place to buy a punnet of tomatoes where he overpowered her. Her home was open with the lights on and her bag there. Those tomatoes were allegedly found on her kitchen bench.
IMO it is more likely that he has approached her like a 'predator' does.
It remains a matter for the investigative team to determine how those tomatoes got on the kitchen bench in her house and how he got her into her car. Her phone is missing most likely because it had incriminating evidence on it. He car was burned most likely because the murderer planned to destroy evidence.
My opinion only.

FYI
Stephanie Anderson, Journalist, ABC News Melbourne:

Stephanie Anderson ‏@skateanderson 8h8 hours ago Wangaratta, Victoria
Cardamone appeared in a white t-shirt, tracksuit pants and socks. Said very little during hearing and was formally remanded @abcnewsMelb

Stephanie Anderson ‏@skateanderson 8h8 hours ago
48 y/o Michael Cardamone has been charged with the murder of Karen Chetcuti. Faced out of sessions court hearing about 1:35AM @abcnewsMelb

Stephanie Anderson ‏@skateanderson 40m40 minutes ago Wangaratta, Victoria
Michael Cardamone will face Wangaratta Magis Court this morn charged w murder of Karen Chetcuti @abcnewsMelb
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZCPkMKVAAALf_m.jpg

Agree, it's sad Acidtear. As time went on and she remained 'missing' - together with her burned out car - it looked ominous.
I'm relieved the police have found her - as sad as that is - for her family and the community. Sadly, we know now that she has been murdered, allegedly by her deviant neighbour.

I do not believe his story that she came to his place to buy a punnet of tomatoes where he overpowered her. Her home was open with the lights on and her bag there. Those tomatoes were allegedly found on her kitchen bench.
IMO it is more likely that he has approached her like a 'predator' does.
It remains a matter for the investigative team to determine how those tomatoes got on the kitchen bench in her house and how he got her into her car. Her phone is missing most likely because it had incriminating evidence on it. He car was burned most likely because the murderer planned to destroy evidence.
My opinion only.

Earlier he had said he was picking tomatoes when he saw her outside. That part might be true. Maybe she was returning home early that evening and they spoke over the fence. He may have called out to her to say his tomatoes had grown in well. Did she want some ? She may have felt comfortable enough to agree and never imagined he would attack her.

Tomato Rage. well... .. He seems fixated by his story re the tomatoes.... its as good a story as any other as to why she was in his property that time of night. It is just as far, I think, for her to walk home from the pub up the street and down her driveway as it is to go to his house and then cut thru the paddock. Because she walked to the pub , leaving her car behind in her garage, I would think.

Putting her half alive and half dead in the car and driving off.... well.. that means, he had to follow her back to her house where her car was, doesn't it. So he is saying she staggered off half alive and half dead across the paddock to her house. Or he leaves her half alive, and half dead in the driveway of his house and zips across and gets her car, after finding the keys, and drives it back around the corner to his place..

I need more coffee at this stage..

Or, he jams and shoves her in his Toyota ute .... she would have to be half dead , she wouldn't get in it voluntarily.. and he takes of for Dangdongadale, no where near a doctor or a hospital, in fact, in the opposite direction of anything like that. And according to him he finishes her off somewhere on this journey..... not a lot of logic there, but hey. Then turns round and dumps her body at Lake Buffalo.. then goes home, and hides her car. He had to go to her house to get this car. He's probably hurled her phone after carefully turning it off somewhere really safe, permanently gone, like a small fire. No one could raise a peep out of her phone .

REMANDED IN CUSTODY UNTIL SEPTEMBER 8, 2016:

Bridget RollasonVerified account ‏@bridgerollo 9m9 minutes ago
Michael Cardamone faced court charged with the murder of Karen Chetcuti and breach of parole. He made no application for bail @PRIME7Albury

Wangaratta Chronicle ‏@wangchronicle 24m24 minutes ago
Whorouly man Michael Cardamone charged with murder of Karen Chetcuti, remanded in custody until Sept 8, 2016.

Jon KailaVerified account ‏@jonkaila 19m19 minutes ago
Michael Cardamone has faced court. Charged with murder and breaching parole. No app for bail. Back in court on September 8. @theheraldsun

"breach of parole"...... damn..!..... that makes all the sense in the world now as to how he was retained all that time .. he was already on parole.. and for what?? anyone know??... I am not sure it could be the rape crime from back in 2005, I think it is for another episode, whether another rape, or drug charges, using , dealing, something...

Bridget RollasonVerified account ‏@bridgerollo 9m9 minutes ago
Michael Cardamone faced court charged with the murder of Karen Chetcuti and breach of parole. He made no application for bail @PRIME7Albury

Tom Cowie, Journalist at @theage covering crime:

Tom Cowie ‏@tom_cowie 2m2 minutes ago
Michael Cardamone, the man accused of Karen Chetcuti's murder arrives at court in Wangratta. Pic @MarkJesser https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZCuu33UAAApiXF.jpg (Pic of the perpetrator)

Tom Cowie ‏@tom_cowie 30m30 minutes ago
The family of missing mum Karen Chetcuti say they are gutted after her body was found y'day http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/man-chttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZCos1WUsAA78ky.jpg
So sorry for the family of Karen :rose:

I wonder if part of his parole was he wasn't to go out of the area... not allowed in Melbourne, or even Wangaratta, perhaps.... which is why all his killing travelling is east of Whorouly... parole for what!!.. enquiring minds want to know.

In a sad turn of events, one of Ms Chetcuti's teenage children had a birthday on Monday.

Fairfax Media understands Mr Cardamone was arrested after he phoned relatives on Saturday claiming he had been kidnapped and was in the boot of a car.
Police, who were notified of the call by his solicitor, (???) located the car in Melbourne, eventually intercepting it in Ringwood after Mr Cardamone allegedly evaded police.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...-whorouly-karen-chetcuti-20160118-gm8nfw.html

And Karen would have known he was on parole. And for what he was on parole for.

Supreme Court of Victoria - Court of Appeal

R v Cardamone [2007] VSCA 77 (3 May 2007)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/vic/VSCA/2007/77.html

“ ... I want to deal with the record of interview, and then I’ll make a few closing remarks to you ... But when [you] listen to it ... You [can] see him thinking on his feet, and he’s twisted the police up in this account about where he was, who was where. He’s very self assured, except when the questioning moves to the detail of what happens with [the complainant]. When it gets to the detail of what happened with [the complainant] you can feel him closing in.

He becomes evasive, he becomes less confident.

[The complainant] runs off to the police, tells the police and the police come out and confront [the accused] with this and then he tells this *advertiser censored* and bull story. On his own account it’s all a pack of lies. He tells this cop, look, I’ll tell you what happened. This is what happened. No. Why? It goes to his credibility. He’s got no credibility ...

Instead he tries to weave this story, give himself alibis, give explanations for things that were inexplicable and then after he’d realised that his account to the police can’t hold together you get this final version which was given to you, which you heard from [defence counsel] on Monday ...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/k...rdamone-appears-in-court-20160119-gm8w35.html

Karen Chetcuti's family weep as Michael Cardamone appears in court
January 19, 2016 - 12:36PM
by Blair Thomson

Cardamone, who was on parole at the time of the alleged offence, faced Wangaratta court today.
The Prosecutor told the court police allege Cardamone killed Ms Chetcuti on or around January 12.
He did not apply for bail. He was remanded to appear on September 8, 2016.

Family and friends of Ms Chetcuti wept ...

Cardamone's address was suppressed by the magistrate, amid fears of vigilante attacks on the house he shares with his elderly mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back