Australia Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there should be a ground swell of support for Joanne Curtis. She was really a victim along with Lyn - it so great that Lyn's family understands. But her life has been forever tarnished by her relationship with a thoughtless manipulator. It is truly inconceivable how she has escaped an maintained such dignity ; she has kept her story to herself and remained stoic and so true to herself. What a remarkable woman. Supporting Lyn is important but Joanne was a victim that could have very well come to the same fate.
joanne has shown herself to be a woman of great strength and integrity.
she owns all her issues and misgivings along the way, makes no victim blaming excuses.

always the other woman will show bitter jealous undertones when discussing the wife. joanne has NEVER had a bad word to say about lyn.

I truly believe joanne understands that she is the key for justice for lyn and she wants her to have it.

joanne is righting her wrongs and we support her 100%.

she is very brave to face all this head on.

I was disgusted with the media for putting that pic of her heading into the police station with that folder, really a pathetic thing to do but seeing it...... it really brought it home for me, you go girl...go get him!!!!

I hope the media back off from her . she has done her time, as a childbride to the !!!

moo

Good on him! I hope that he comes forward to0. I do wonder how old she was when he was first doing the great Aussie proverbial with her.

Most reports that I have read said he started with Joanne at 16 years old. But I read this yesterday about him frolicking with other girls as young as 13.

A student of St Ursula’s College in Yeppoon, Queensland when Chris Dawson was a teacher there. Kate recalls her concerns that Chris was trying to groom many of her friends at the school, and that he would take young female students on beach excursions where bikini-clad girls as young as 13 would wrestle with him in the surf. She remembers he would bring to school posters of himself from his modelling days. - Kate Erwin (from episode 13 of the podcast)

Nocookies
The Australian - December 5, 2018

joanne has shown herself to be a woman of great strength and integrity.
she owns all her issues and misgivings along the way, makes no victim blaming excuses.

always the other woman will show bitter jealous undertones when discussing the wife. joanne has NEVER had a bad word to say about lyn.

I truly believe joanne understands that she is the key for justice for lyn and she wants her to have it.

joanne is righting her wrongs and we support her 100%.

she is very brave to face all this head on.

I was disgusted with the media for putting that pic of her heading into the police station with that folder, really a pathetic thing to do but seeing it...... it really brought it home for me, you go girl...go get him!!!!

I hope the media back off from her . she has done her time, as a childbride to the *******!!!

moo

Chris Dawson could be required to forfeit any wealth he has accumulated as a result of the alleged murder of his wife, Lyn.

Nocookies
Chris Dawson may be stripped of Lyn’s estate and more

I haven't read the article yet as it is pay-walled.

But I had been thinking Chris Dawson might put his home and perhaps other items of value in his current wife's name in the hope of ensuring them from the possibility of forfeiture.

Then I thought of the delicious possibility that Chris might have put everything in his wife's name and then she had booted him out.

I any case, let's hope Lynne gets the verdict she deserves and the family retrieve what should rightfully have been theirs.

My hopes for the future.....

I am hoping they find Lyn's body in a bush grave as Joanne had an idea where that might be, didn't she? I hope they use cadaver dogs to trace the bones. Is that still possible?

Then I hope he does not get bail this Friday as otherwise, he would then be living with his solicitor brother, Peter Dawson.

I can't see how they can provide verifiable proof that Lyn was alive after she supposedly left the house, can you? Otherwise what defense do they have?

Then I guess it will be a Judge only trial.

If he is found guilty, I then hope he gets life with no parole so he ends his life in prison.

I then hope that the money he gained from Lyn's share of the house will be given to Lyn's family (her two daughters?) as she would have wanted in her will. I wonder if Lyn had a life insurance policy?

How would they work out what Lyn's entitlement would have been?

The law generally does not allow a person to profit from their crime; indeed, the ‘Forfeiture Rule’ states that “a man shall not slay his benefactor and thereby take his bounty.”

Should Killers Ever Inherit their Victims’ Property?

On application of the rule, the offender becomes disqualified from having any interest in the victim’s assets, including superannuation and life insurance, and is ineligible to benefit from the principle of survivorship. The estate will be administered as if the offender’s interests in the estate do not exist or as if those gifts have been struck out.

No reward for inheritance impatience

But I guess CD still is entitled to only half of the value of the house. So in order to estimate the value of what CD has to pay his two daughters, authorities would have to look at the value of the house as it would have been back in 1982 and then add inflation/capital gain or use the value of the house in 2019 where they used to live minus any improvements done over time. What do you think the value of the house at 2 Gilwinga Drive, Bayview would be now? The property was sold for $2,400,000 on 3rd March, 2017. So they would have to take off the estimated cost of improvements since then of they worked it out that way.

2 Gilwinga Drive, Bayview, NSW 2104

Would Lyn's family have to make a separate claim in a civil suit after the trial if CD is found guilty or will it be part of the murder trial?

One thing that has really baffled me was the finding of the buried remnants of one of Lynette Dawson’s favourite garments, a pink cardigan that was apparently cut up with a knife.

Nocookies

Why would anyone cut up a cardigan with a knife and bury it? I can only guess that Chris could have done it as he knew it was Lyn's favourite but he could have hated it and refused to let her wear it while she was alive or he did it after her death. I say that as Joanne Curtis has said that Chris controlled everything she did including what she wore.

Last edited:
2 mins 34 the bit about the Dawsons

While I knew there was an article about the twins at Coombabah, I wasn't aware they had the same car. This doesn't shock me though.
Yep. Always same car. Same dog. Same number of girls. Same number plates. You can only wonder how they will survive being seperated. Down the track they may have same jail cells.

Homes! :)

CR owns a house in Coolum and an investment property in Biggera Waters according to the article.
Nocookies

CD and Susan Constance Dawson paid 366K on 15 june 2008 for property 10 Beach Haven Prd Mount Coolum. They built a 2 story home with pool in 2010, cost $420,534.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Investment property??
Last sold for 335K Feb 2011.
Listed in Jan 2017 - interesting.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property/22-barnard-st-biggera-waters-qld-4216

On 14th September 2018, the Sunshine Coast Daily reported at the time that police were digging up his Bayview home that "ALL was quiet yesterday morning at the Mount Coolum home of a man caught in the centre of a major police investigation into the disappearance of his wife from their Sydney northern beaches home 40 years ago." and that "Realtors have valued their home between $800,000 and $900,000."

It was also reported that "It is understood CD may have left the property by taxi on Wednesday morning."

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

So where did police find CD when they went to arrest him? At his daughter-in-law's property on the Gold Coast - not at his brother, Paul's home as many assumed.

I took special interest in that as I wondered whether Chris Dawson's third wife was remaining loyal to him or not. So Chris could have been in hiding there but luckily police must have followed him there. Sue Dawson has kept a low profile throughout this so, as they were living at her daughter's home, it is likely she was there with him when he was arrested unless she had returned to Coolum by then.

I have been reading up on this case tonight and found another piece that I had not heard of before.

Man who lived next to house where woman mysteriously vanished 36 years ago reveals creepy discovery | Daily Mail Online

On 16 July 2018, a man who lived at 6 Gilwinga Drive, Bayview, (where Paul and Marilyn Dawson lived) about 10 years after Mrs Dawson's disappearance has told of a 'creepy' discovery he made as a child.

A man who lived near where a woman vanished 36 years ago has revealed he found a black swimming costume 'covered in something' in his garden as police searched for Lyn's body.

6 Gilwinga Drive, Bayview, NSW 2104

I don't think that black swimming costume story can add anything to the circumstantial evidence. However, I read a theory recently somewhere where the person suspected that because CD had his daughters at home, he could have either drowned or suffocated Lyn in his home or Paul's home and he also suspected that in either case, the body would have been left at Paul's home waiting for CD to have time to find a place to bury her. In the meantime, he would have had to cut off her finger to get the rings off. This person does not believe that Paul and Marilyn went away anywhere during that time. I wonder if they can verify that they were actually away that weekend. Perhaps Joanne Curtis may know that.

January 8, 1982 That evening, Lyn's mother said that Lyn sounded "sozzled" when she got on the phone and asked Lyn about it as Lyn was not a big drinker. Lyn replied that Chris had made her a "nice drink". I suspect that CD could have spiked that drink with something and then suffocated or strangled her or pushed her into the pool to drown. Or perhaps he took her in his car still alive but conscious and drugged to Paul's house and ended her life there. I predict that there was not any blood to clean up.

Also Chris must have had help to move the body to bury it if it is in the surrounding bushland (as Joanne Curtis predicts) if that actually happened.

Otherwise, if he was alone, he would have needed to have dug her grave in advance and dragged the body there in the dark while his daughters were sleeping.

What are your theories?

January 9, 1982: Mr Dawson says he dropped his wife at a Mona Vale bus stop so she could go shopping at Chatswood. Mrs Dawson fails to turn up to meet her mother, husband and children at Northbridge Baths. Mr Dawson says his wife rang him and said she needed some time to herself.

Chris Dawson's teenage lover and babysitter will take centre stage as star witnesses against the former first-grade footballer after revealing fresh evidence that led to his arrest

Did this call really take place? If a person really did phone the Northbridge Baths that afternoon, and another person answered the phone first, the person phoning would have to have been a female. So have they ever found out who took that phone call? The only person who would probably have made that call would have been Marilyn Dawson. If a man (such as Paul Dawson) actually made the call, it could have been planned for a definite time so that CD could have been waiting for the call and been near the phone at the time to answer it himself. Has this mystery ever been solved? Or did Chris just pretend he had taken a call from Lyn but there was no actual call?

Another red flag was when CD took six weeks to report Lyn as a missing person joining a religious cult when her mother she was not religious and had moved his 16 year old lover into the marital bed two days after Lyn "went missing" and gave her Lyn's rings to wear!

January 9, 1982: Mr Dawson says he dropped his wife at a Mona Vale bus stop so she could go shopping at Chatswood. Mrs Dawson fails to turn up to meet her mother, husband and children at Northbridge Baths. Mr Dawson says his wife rang him and said she needed some time to herself.

Chris Dawson's teenage lover and babysitter will take centre stage as star witnesses against the former first-grade footballer after revealing fresh evidence that led to his arrest

Did this call really take place? If a person really did phone the Northbridge Baths that afternoon, and another person answered the phone first, the person phoning would have to have been a female. So have they ever found out who took that phone call? The only person who would probably have made that call would have been Marilyn Dawson. If a man (such as Paul Dawson) actually made the call, it could have been planned for a definite time so that CD could have been waiting for the call and been near the phone at the time to answer it himself. Has this mystery ever been solved? Or did Chris just pretend he had taken a call from Lyn but there was no actual call?

Another red flag was when CD took six weeks to report Lyn as a missing person joining a religious cult when her mother she was not religious and had moved his 16 year old lover into the marital bed two days after Lyn "went missing" and gave her Lyn's rings to wear!

I did a search on this thread and found some more information on what happened at the Northbridge Baths.

Australia - Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest*

From the podcast and inquest: Phil Day was Chris’s close friend from Sydney Boys High, now deceased. Phil was a groomsman for the Dawsons when they wed in 1970. Phil gave evidence at the second coronial inquest in 2003, saying that a few days before Lyn disappeared, Chris called and asked him to come to Northbridge Baths for a talk. Phil witnessed the interactions between Chris and Lyn’s mother Helena when Chris said that Lyn had phoned and needed some time away. Chris then asked Phil to drive Helena, Shanelle and Sherryn home to the Simms’ residence in Clovelly.

So IMO this murder was premeditated as CD called Phil a few days before and asked him to come to Northbridge Baths on the Saturday for a "chat". IMO this was planned by CD so that Phil could hear about the phone call from Lyn, witness the interactions between CD and Lynette's mother and then drive Lyn's mother and her two granddaughters home to her house at Clovelly so that he had time to pick up Joanne and install her into the family home while the daughters were not there. Also it is not stated that Phil was actually there when the phone call came in.

I also read on the above link that the phone call was an STD one to give it more credence perhaps. Apparently, Paul and Marilyn were at Toowoon Bay which is only a one and a half hours drive away from Bayview so they could easily drive home when needed by CD. I also predict that they had all the timings planned about when Phil would arrive and when I suspect that Marilyn was asked to make the call. Phil possibly lived in the eastern suburbs so Clovelly could have been on his way.

So Chris' story was that Lyn supposedly left home early in CD's car (as she did not drive) without giving the children breakfast and was dropped off at Mona Vale to catch a bus to Chatswood to do shopping. If she wanted to buy food she could do that locally and she would not want to have to carry them all the way to Northbridge on a bus. So why Chatswood? For clothes? Lyn was due to meet her mother for lunch at the Northbridge Baths at 12 noon.

From Chatswood station, you have to catch the 267 bus to Fourth Avenue off Edinburgh Road which takes 37 minutes then walk 2 kms to
2 Widgiewa Rd, Northbridge where the baths are which would take about 30 minutes. So the whole trip would take over one hour and Lyn would not want to be carrying anything heavy.

So Lyn would have to have left Chatswood before 11am to be able to get there at the appointed time. So if the shops opened in those days at 9am that would give Lyn less than 2 hours to shop. Did Chris say what Lyn went shopping for?

I predict that Chris suggested that Lyn invite her mother there that Saturday so that she would be there ready to take the girls when he suggested it. But did he pack a bag for the girls with other clothes, nightwear, underwear, shoes, hats, toothbrushes and swimming costumes, etc. so she did not bother him later for them? That would be too telling, wouldn't it? Otherwise, did she have clothes, etc. for the children in her home already or did she have to buy more? That got his mother-in-law and the girls away from him for a few days so he could perhaps bury Lyn and pickup Joanne. What a planner this Chris was!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke