Still Missing Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Dawson’s lawyers will have 20 minutes to make their case for special leave at a High Court showdown in Canberra on April 8th. So we shall wait and see.
This is what I found on the matter. (Yes the Australian's article is blocked except for the first few sentences).

Comment - It's the same old - they are trying for a stay of execution by the sounds of it . It will no doubt be on the tired old theme - that the case has had so much media exposure that it will not be possible to find an impartial jury.

- Sky News :
Chris Dawson to launch a ‘last-ditch bid’ to avoid murder trial over wife’s death
12 hours ago

86666991af85849e274c973e6734e5e0

Former Newtown Jets star Chris Dawson is launching a “last-ditch bid” to avoid a trial for the murder of his wife, Lynette, according to Sky News host Peta Credlin.

“Early next month, Dawson’s lawyers will ask the High Court for special leave to appeal – in a bid to stay a trial for Lynette’s murder,” Ms Credlin said.

She also said applications for it to “stay a trial” have previously been “rejected” by the NSW Supreme Court and NSW Court of Criminal Appeal.

Chris Dawson set to face trial for murder after High Court threw out special leave application - ABC News

If ever the wheels of justice ground slowly, this crime is up there with the longest.. So much water under the bridge, yet Chris Dawson has to transport himself back to the bloke he was then, and , having done that, to turn his whole story inside out to make it credible to a jury, this time, not mates down the station or at the club. Big difference.

And this time, the brothers may be a handicap, and not an advantage, all things considered.

Chris Dawson to face murder trial
By Freya Noble10:50
Former Newtown Jets footballer Chris Dawson will face a criminal trial over the alleged murder of his wife Lynette Dawson nearly 40 years ago.

This morning the High Court dismissed Mr Dawon's special leave application, the final bid to permanently halt the proceedings.

The 73-year-old is expected to stand trial next month.

He has pleaded not guilty to killing his wife, who was last seen at their Bayview home in 1982 and has repeatedly insisted she is still alive.

Dawson really stretched the elastic of the court 's panties on this one, asking for special leave, I think it was due , he said, to his age, and the eradication of people's memories over such a long period of time.

But the law doesn't give these things heavy credit. Merely a passing nod to it. His shot at trying for this hearing and the possibility of a positive result for Dawson was kicking the can down the road, and now the road has run out.

And we all go back to Dawson's story, that Lynn left to go shopping, he drove her to the bus stop, that's the last time he saw her, he says... and he went to the pool. And , he says, she was leaving him, her two girls she had gone thru years of IVF, her beautiful house, a husband she loved, a job she had at the nursery, her loving extended family, sisters, brothers, mother, father. . a father who had lent Dawson $10,000 to buy that house, and never got a cent back. Sure, Dawson.

She got on the bus, with her handbag and one shopping bag.

Justices Stephen Gageler and Michelle Gordon threw out the application and until the placed a non-publication order on the details of the hearing until the conclusion of the trial.

Mr Dawson's trial is due to commence in the NSW Supreme Court on May 9.

Chris Dawson set to face trial for murder after failed High Court application
oooo TGY... nothing like a non publication order to start the judicial juices running. Obviously, his failed application for a permanent stay must be severely prejudicial to a fair trial, in the opinion of the justices. ...

People are living longer these days, and more people are living into their nineties. Tomorrow I will be looking for a 90th birthday card for a male friend. It's ludicrous to argue that CD shouldn't be jailed or even tried because he has reached the (not so old) age of 73.

Last edited:
"my husband made me a lovely drink"

Those words keep running through my mind.

What happened to Lynette?
On January 8, 1982, Lynette rang her mother Helen after a marriage counselling session.

A "sozzled"-sounding Lynette said the therapy session went well, and Chris had made her a "lovely drink".

She had planned to meet her family the next day, but never turned up.

The obstacles of Lynette Dawson's murder

People are living longer these days, and more people are living into their nineties. Tomorrow I will be looking for a 90th birthday card for a male friend. It's ludicrous to argue that CD shouldn't be jailed or even tried because he has reached the (not so old) age of 73.

It would be never too late to die in jail, alone.
That would be justice.
Porridge for every future birthday.
No female body warmth not even an electric blanket.
Nothing.

These type of predators should be put away.

oooo TGY... nothing like a non publication order to start the judicial juices running. Obviously, his failed application for a permanent stay must be severely prejudicial to a fair trial, in the opinion of the justices. ...

a non-publication order on the details of the hearing until the conclusion of the trial”

This is so wrong. It’s been nearly 40 years Lynette has been deceased so where’s her voice?

At first I thought that too, but upon reading it again, I think it means the hearing that's just happened where he was trying to avoid going to trial. It's so whatever was said won't prejudice the trial.

I don't think it means we won't hear anything about the trial or any new information that comes out.

This is so wrong. It’s been nearly 40 years Lynette has been deceased so where’s her voice?

It still baffles me that all the witnesses at the pre trial hearings who were "such good friends" with Lyn all saw her but none of them spoke to her. Chris is the only one "who allegedly" spoke to her since she went missing.

Ever think you have seen someone you knew but when you got closer up you realise it wasn't the right person. I certainly have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow