Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This part of Shanelle's Victim Impact statement was just so sad

"I went to great lengths to keep YOUR act secret from my daughter, waiting until she was older to tell her the horrible reality.
Unfortunately her friend told her & I had to explain to my beautiful, innocent daughter why her grandfather killed her grandmother.
She had many questions, anger, confusion & grief.
She kept asking me "But why did he do that?"
The same question that's tortured me over & over for many years.
Why didn't you just divorce her?
Let those who love & needed her, keep her.
Because of MONEY - for god's sake!
The way you made her invisible & didn't keep her memory alive for her children, rarely spoke of her & when you did , it was with disdain or disrespect.
We had no photos out, no mention of her birthday or what she was like or beautiful moments of her loving us, of her caring & giving heart , her beautiful free spirit"

This part of Shanelle's Victim Impact statement was just so sad

"I went to great lengths to keep YOUR act secret from my daughter, waiting until she was older to tell her the horrible reality.
Unfortunately her friend told her & I had to explain to my beautiful, innocent daughter why her grandfather killed her grandmother.
She had many questions, anger, confusion & grief.
She kept asking me "But why did he do that?"
The same question that's tortured me over & over for many years.
Why didn't you just divorce her?
Let those who love & needed her, keep her.
Because of MONEY - for god's sake!
The way you made her invisible & didn't keep her memory alive for her children, rarely spoke of her & when you did , it was with disdain or disrespect.
We had no photos out, no mention of her birthday or what she was like or beautiful moments of her loving us, of her caring & giving heart , her beautiful free spirit"
Heartbreaking stuff. Would love to have seen Chris Dawson's face as that was being delivered but I suspect he would have just tuned out and shown no emotion.

If impact statements like that aren't enough to convince Ian Harrsion to deliver the maximum sentence, I don't know what would.

Great summary from Greg Simms :

"We considered you an equal in all respects. We trusted you. You repaid us by committing the ultimate betrayal.

"It was a brazen act of a conniving monster hell bent on one thing, getting what you wanted at any cost."

CD's Lawyer Greg Walsh came across as a bit of a fool, I got the impression the judge wasn't to impressed by him.

The Crown really pushed for the suffering of the victims to be considered.

Did anyone hear when Walsh was banging on about how hard CD has it in jail ( he's in 2 out cell by the way ), he doesn't always know the name of the jail, being unconscious at times & he was saying he hasn't been able to see a cardiologist for a supposed doggy mitral valve & was saying that the care in jail was bad etc & the judge replied I have the same problem ( which I took meaning trying to get in to see a cardiologist? ) Hardly sympathetic IMO

Bring on the sentencing ......

I thought this part was most interesting … from the live updates ….

The judge should 'ignore' the submissions of one of Dawson's brothers, defence lawyer Greg Walsh said.

The defence has handed up a number of statements in support of Dawson, including from one of his brothers.

The judge remarked: "The brother makes some quite extraordinary comments."

Mr Walsh said: "Yes I don't press those. Your Honour, I didn't draft those statements, I don't rely on that material. You ignore, with respect, that material that clearly should not be in there."

I thought this part was most interesting … from the live updates ….

The judge should 'ignore' the submissions of one of Dawson's brothers, defence lawyer Greg Walsh said.

The defence has handed up a number of statements in support of Dawson, including from one of his brothers.

The judge remarked: "The brother makes some quite extraordinary comments."

Mr Walsh said: "Yes I don't press those. Your Honour, I didn't draft those statements, I don't rely on that material. You ignore, with respect, that material that clearly should not be in there."

Would suspect twin brother Paul was the author of those embarrassing statements.

As time goes by we are gaining a clearer and clearer picture of a very, very odd relationship.

Beginning to wish Paul Dawson had received his wish to appear at the trial. Craig Everson would have torn him to pieces.

"The night you removed our mother from our lives was the night you destroyed my sense of safety and belonging in this world for many years to come," she said.

Speaking to her father, who sat silently in the dock, she said he had "no right" to take away her adoring mother: "You are not God".

"I had to explain to my beautiful, innocent daughter why her grandfather killed her grandmother," she said.
"She kept asking, 'Why did he do that?' The same question which tortured me for years and years.

"Why didn't you just divorce her? Because of money? For God's sake."

Would suspect twin brother Paul was the author of those embarrassing statements.

As time goes by we are gaining a clearer and clearer picture of a very, very odd relationship.

Beginning to wish Paul Dawson had received his wish to appear at the trial. Craig Everson would have torn him to pieces.
Agreed. I wish there was an avenue to arrest PD and maybe MD as well. They could all share a cell . No that might be too comfortable for the 3 of them. :cool:

Shanelle....you are the essence of your mother.... beautiful girl

She would be beyond proud of the woman you are and the integrity and strength you show even when facing your greatest fear.

May life bless you with some sunshine and peace ahead xx

Home, I managed to watch part of Shanelle's heartbreaking words before I had to go out..
I was hoping to watch the rest but the video is now unavailable, it says private.

Tears were streaming down my face listening to her words :(

Last edited:
CD's Lawyer Greg Walsh came across as a bit of a fool, I got the impression the judge wasn't to impressed by him.

The Crown really pushed for the suffering of the victims to be considered.

Did anyone hear when Walsh was banging on about how hard CD has it in jail ( he's in 2 out cell by the way ), he doesn't always know the name of the jail, being unconscious at times & he was saying he hasn't been able to see a cardiologist for a supposed doggy mitral valve & was saying that the care in jail was bad etc & the judge replied I have the same problem ( which I took meaning trying to get in to see a cardiologist? ) Hardly sympathetic IMO

Bring on the sentencing ......
Greg Walsh actually seems a genuine and empathetic man who seems to feel for what his client's are suffering having seen a couple of interviews with him post conviction.

Having said that I have no sympathy for Chris Dawson's many conditions.

Mr Walsh said the following yesterday:

It’s important that the public understand that there can be no increase in penalty because this man chose to plead not guilty,” “That was his fundamental right and it does not aggravate the offence.”

Dawson’s murder of his wife Lyn was “precipitous” in nature.

“It was not one that involved a great deal of planning … but one that was driven by his obsession to maintain a relationship (with JC),”

Justice Harrison questioned if Mr Walsh meant that the murder was spontaneous.

Mr Walsh said it involved planning that was not sophisticated.

IMO that is saying CD is guilty as charged …

Reference:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back