Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mr Walsh said the following yesterday:

It’s important that the public understand that there can be no increase in penalty because this man chose to plead not guilty,” “That was his fundamental right and it does not aggravate the offence.”

Dawson’s murder of his wife Lyn was “precipitous” in nature.

“It was not one that involved a great deal of planning … but one that was driven by his obsession to maintain a relationship (with JC),”

Justice Harrison questioned if Mr Walsh meant that the murder was spontaneous.

Mr Walsh said it involved planning that was not sophisticated.

IMO that is saying CD is guilty as charged …

Reference:
I am stunned to read that from Dawson's own lawyer. If that isn't an admission of guilt, I have never seen one!

Forget about your appeal Dawson. Your lawyer just put you in.

"Unless he's successful in his appeal, he'll die in jail," he told reporters outside court.

The only downside I see from Chris Dawson rotting in jail until the day he dies is, there's no incentive for him to tell where Lyn's body is located. Other than a moral one of course, and as has already been identified from the evidence in the court room, he is morally bereft.

If justice had been delivered to Chris Dawson years ago, as it should have been, he could have negotiated a more lenient sentence - one that would have allowed him to see daylight again - prior to dying. The way things stand he might remain silent.

Does Australia not have a mandatory life sentence for murder? If so, what was the purpose of yesterday's deliberations with the judge?
In Aus, we have separate laws for each state. I could be wrong here and someone may correct me...as i understand, the punishment applied will based on the rules as they stood at the time the crime was committed. So, whatever the sentencing guidlines were in 1982 will be applied. I think that is how sentencing works across all states.. again i may be wrong here.
It makes me believe Chris won't get 'life'. If i was to guess.. about 12 years non-parole. Could be way out here though.

Last edited:
Does Australia not have a mandatory life sentence for murder? If so, what was the purpose of yesterday's deliberations with the judge?
Not a national one. It varies from one state to the next.

My understanding, from what I read in the lead-up to Dawson's trial, was that if found guilty in NSW (where he was tried) he was almost certain to receive 20 years.

I am stunned to read that from Dawson's own lawyer. If that isn't an admission of guilt, I have never seen one!

Forget about your appeal Dawson. Your lawyer just put you in.
This was quite astounding I agree…. I did wonder if they were leading up to a plea deal for revealing the location of Lyn’s body???
IMO

MOO
If the judge has any discretion in the matter, 20 years would be a particularly crushing sentence... a 'coup de grace'... i just don't see that happening in this case....definitely not sympathising for CD ...

Does the judge have zero discretion when sentencing in this case?.... I doubt it....

CD definitely deserves more than 20 years in jail... though I'm not sure law would agree to my opinion....we'll just have to wait and see......Its such a balancing act....

Last edited:
I thought this part was most interesting … from the live updates ….

The judge should 'ignore' the submissions of one of Dawson's brothers, defence lawyer Greg Walsh said.

The defence has handed up a number of statements in support of Dawson, including from one of his brothers.

The judge remarked: "The brother makes some quite extraordinary comments."

Mr Walsh said: "Yes I don't press those. Your Honour, I didn't draft those statements, I don't rely on that material. You ignore, with respect, that material that clearly should not be in there."

Most interesting to say the least Slouth. I’d love to know what the extraordinary comments from a brother were, especially with defence lawyer Walsh commenting to the judge to ignore them.
On the positive note, perhaps it was a timely reminder to the Judge how arrogant and entitled the Dawsons are. And finally that they are not in control anymore. Oh my heart weeps!

I thought this part was most interesting … from the live updates ….

The judge should 'ignore' the submissions of one of Dawson's brothers, defence lawyer Greg Walsh said.

The defence has handed up a number of statements in support of Dawson, including from one of his brothers.

The judge remarked: "The brother makes some quite extraordinary comments."

Mr Walsh said: "Yes I don't press those. Your Honour, I didn't draft those statements, I don't rely on that material. You ignore, with respect, that material that clearly should not be in there."

I expect the comments were along the line of ... CD is innocent and it's clear the police are biased and the justice system is incompetent, and if only they were allowed to speak at the trial they could have straightened out this whole mess.

MOO
If the judge has any discretion in the matter, 20 years would be a particularly crushing sentence... a 'coup de grace'... i just don't see that happening in this case....definitely not sympathising for CD ...

Does the judge have zero discretion when sentencing in this case?.... I doubt it....

CD definitely deserves more than 20 years in jail... though I'm not sure law would agree to my opinion....we'll just have to wait and see......Its such a balancing act....

Yes, I agree. I don't think that domestic violence was viewed with such alarm in the early '80s as it is now. I recall reading a line in my '78 uni Criminology test book that said something to the effect that people who murdered their spouse were not considered a threat to society. Even the judge in the trial mentioned something about CD being a good man, meaning that he didn't have other criminal charges.

The harm done to his daughters and the fact that he hid the truth for so many years will count against him. Will his age and health have any bearing on the sentence? I don't know.

I hope that he gets a sentence which is long enough that he will live the rest of his days in prison. My hope is that he will get a life sentence with no chance of parole for 15 years.

Several points that stuck out to me from latest podcast.

Shanelle stating she was rejected by multiple mothers. Besides JC, would she be including Sue, CD’s third wife, her Dawson aunties, including Marilyn? I hope they all own the guilt they deserve.

Another surprise was CD and JC’s daughter Kristen’s statement of support for CD.

And finally, I hope Shanelle’s deliberate words of “You are not God“ wasn’t lost on CD.

Stay strong amazing lady.

In Aus, we have separate laws for each state. I could be wrong here and someone may correct me...as i understand, the punishment applied will based on the rules as they stood at the time the crime was committed. So, whatever the sentencing guidlines were in 1982 will be applied. I think that is how sentencing works across all states.. again i may be wrong here.
It makes me believe Chris won't get 'life'. If i was to guess.. about 12 years non-parole. Could be way out here though.

I'm really interested in your account W28!

For you, was it just a normal Friday night at the local bar after work?
And after speaking with Lyn, her driver came to pick her up. Do you know who that person is? Was that the person that drives a green HQ?
Hi Bats: in

Hi Bats: in thread 4 you said,

I could be wrong but i'd be confident that the prosecution would have been all over this at the trial. Why would the defence bring in a witness (their only witness) that is potentially going to dig a deeper hole for themselves?
Why/how do you think there's a connection here W28?
Because of the defence had only to put into the minds of the people, or like the rumour that my Lynette's mother Helena Sims had seen her ,and that's why the police stopped their investigations,so one more sightings of Lynette or rumour or lie can way up in the court case, prosecution have to prove that she was dead on 8th of January 1982 to do that would throw all everything from 1982 8th of January out the door,

Ahhh thanks W28!
So it was this chat with Lyn... on the Friday night at the RSL ...that you believe is the reason why you had 'encounters' with Dawsons after that...you potentially could ruin their alibi?

I'm confused Witness 28. Can you give us a timeline of your meeting with Lyn on the Friday night? I am just thinking she must have been at home when she spoke to her Mum on the phone . I am not sure what time that call took place but I assume it was to their landline at home. I doubt that her Mum would mistake someone else on the phone for Lyn. ??????

It would have most definitely been a landline back then
Early 1982. Absolutely it would have been a landline call.

Helena Simms called Lyn & Chris' number on the evening of Friday January 8th and Chris answered. Helena asked Chris if she could speak to Lyn and Chris somewhat reluctantly put Lyn on.

Lyn said to Helena : 'My husband's poured me a lovely drink and everything is just going to be fine."

Helena said later : "Lyn spoke with a slurred voice and sounded a bit sozzled."

I hate it when some man kills their wife or partner and the ruling is that it wasn't in the worst category.

Just those words seem insulting to the victim, whether they are male or female or if it's a female killing a male.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back