Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning I am a newbie so apologies if this has already been spoken about but curious to know if the PO BOX at Lennox Heads mentioned in advert for M.F Remakel has been looked into. Would there be any records of the owner of that PO Box and an address or contact details available?
It appears to now belong to a mortgage broker. The trouble with finding old records is that they would need to be subpoenaed. If the police believe that Marion has been previously identified as not wanting contact, they cannot and will not start looking into those kinds of records.

One question I’ve been pondering is that the ad in the paper was in December 1994. Marion didn’t leave until 1997, that’s two and a half years later. If she was corresponding that long you would think she would have mentioned it to someone? All very complicated and I wish the police would help Sally get some answers.
I’ve signed the petition!
Sign the Petition

H'mm, Episode 11, what I got out of that is that Fernand Remakel and his wife have got a cracker of a story to tell their family and friends, oh boy .... !!
My thoughts, no, he's not the Remakel who placed the ad .... no criticism, but really, they should have investigated before knocking on his door if he'd actually been to Australia, seems basic, but hey! He seemed like a very nice man, probably frightened by the situation that he was confronted with at his door, and who wouldn't be.
Now we must get back to finding who placed the ad .... what is the person's first name?? I read recently on the Marion Barter Facebook or Podcast page that this Fernand was also the inventor with the patents ..... but having heard him in the podcast I really don't see how they're the same person?? This F Remakel fellow played soccer, had a bookshop, psychology, and works in property .... he can't be the inventor, do you reckon, different skillset, etc. So there's another Fernand Remakel out there, inventing stuff? And yes, I also wondered if the M in M F Remakel could be a first name. Okay, so names starting with F .... Francis, Frederick, Felix ....
Also this mystery man who placed the ad may no longer be living, could have passed on, so a check needs to be done of every Remakel born in 1947 with the first name starting with F (or M) and if you find one, find out if they've been to Australia, then you're onto something. Also that advertisement in the newspaper, wonder if there's someone out there who responded to the ad, if they could come forward, must be someone .... unless they've all disappeared off the face of the earth!!!
PS: I'm sure there will be a nice story in Luxembourg newspaper clearing Fernand's name.
Whoops, also that message they found from someone named Michelle looking for Fernand .... that's pretty shameful, clearly some sleuth looking for him without knowing if he's been to Australia or not. Not nice at all. All just my opinion .... for shame!!

Last edited:
H'mm, Episode 11, what I got out of that is that Fernand Remakel and his wife have got a cracker of a story to tell their family and friends, oh boy .... !!
My thoughts, no, he's not the Remakel who placed the ad .... no criticism, but really, they should have investigated before knocking on his door if he'd actually been to Australia, seems basic, but hey! He seemed like a very nice man, probably frightened by the situation that he was confronted with at his door, and who wouldn't be.
Now we must get back to finding who placed the ad .... what is the person's first name?? I read recently on the Marion Barter Facebook or Podcast page that this Fernand was also the inventor with the patents ..... but having heard him in the podcast I really don't see how they're the same person?? This F Remakel fellow played soccer, had a bookshop and works in property .... he can't be the inventor, do you reckon, different skillset, etc. So there's another Fernand Remakel out there, inventing stuff? And yes, I also wondered if the M in M F Remakel could be a first name. Okay, so names starting with F .... Francis, Frederick, Felix ....
Also this mystery man who placed the ad may no longer be living, could have passed on, so a check needs to be done of every Remakel born in 1947 with the first name starting with F (or M) and if you find one, find out if they've been to Australia, then you're onto something. Also that advertisement in the newspaper, wonder if there's someone out there who responded to the ad, if they could come forward, must be someone .... unless they've all disappeared off the face of the earth!!!
PS: I'm sure there will be a nice story in Luxembourg newspaper clearing Fernand's name.
Whoops, also that message they found from someone named Michelle looking for Fernand .... that's pretty shameful, clearly some sleuth looking for him without knowing if he's been to Australia or not. Not nice at all. All just my opinion .... for shame!
I agree that Fernand had nothing to do with Marions disappearance, however he does fit the love advertisement, ie, speaks several languages, has multiple properties , educated .

Now we must get back to finding who placed the ad .... what is the person's first name?? I read recently on the Marion Barter Facebook or Podcast page that this Fernand was also the inventor with the patents ..... but having heard him in the podcast I really don't see how they're the same person?? This F Remakel fellow played soccer, had a bookshop, psychology, and works in property .... he can't be the inventor, do you reckon, different skillset, etc. So there's another Fernand Remakel out there, inventing stuff? And yes, I also wondered if the M in M F Remakel could be a first name. Okay, so names starting with F .... Francis, Frederick, Felix ....
Whoops, also that message they found from someone named Michelle looking for Fernand .... that's pretty shameful, clearly some sleuth looking for him without knowing if he's been to Australia or not. Not nice at all. All just my opinion .... for shame!!

Speaking of this Michelle looking for Fernand. If they wrote on a public forum searching for Fernand why are the team not responding to her/him on there?
Why are they appealing for them to come forward on the podcast?
Is it going to be someone tracks them down and the team turn up at this persons house like a bull in a china shop..

I assumed that the M stood for Monsieur Fernard Remakel

Speaking of this Michelle looking for Fernand. If they wrote on a public forum searching for Fernand why are the team not responding to her/him on there?
Why are they appealing for them to come forward on the podcast?
I presume they’ve also done that but are covering all avenues.

I thought that F Remakel came across as overly rude and defensive. Of course it would be alarming to have someone turn up on your doorstep asking questions but I thought the team were professional in their approach. Remakel and his wife overreacted imo and then went on to be facetious in their responses - going on about how the wife would have cooked food and things. Weird and arrogant imo.

I think there’s a good chance he’s the guy from the personal ad. I don’t see how the team could have found out whether he’d been to Australia prior to approaching him. As if they could get access to travel records??

The idea if getting a Luxembourgish genealogist to help identify if there was another F Remakel is a good one though.

The advertisement in the paper appears in print on 10 December 1994 and this F Remakel lists his age as 47. If this ad was written up/prepared and submitted, let's say two or three weeks before, the Fernand Remakel born on 2/12/47 would have been 46 when he wrote the ad ... just another mad thought I had ......

I thought that F Remakel came across as overly rude and defensive. Of course it would be alarming to have someone turn up on your doorstep asking questions but I thought the team were professional in their approach. Remakel and his wife overreacted imo and then went on to be facetious in their responses - going on about how the wife would have cooked food and things. Weird and arrogant imo.

I think there’s a good chance he’s the guy from the personal ad. I don’t see how the team could have found out whether he’d been to Australia prior to approaching him. As if they could get access to travel records??

The idea if getting a Luxembourgish genealogist to help identify if there was another F Remakel is a good one though.
I thought the reaction was unusual, especially the continuing lectures about how the team should have approached. However, I also think it is a bit rude to turn up at someones house, recording the conversation without even giving him the courtesy of knowing about being recorded, much less consenting to it. His exwife, while being spoken to on the phone, was also a fair way into the conversation before being informed that she was not only being recorded, but being recorded for a podcast.

I thought the reaction was unusual, especially the continuing lectures about how the team should have approached. However, I also think it is a bit rude to turn up at someones house, recording the conversation without even giving him the courtesy of knowing about being recorded, much less consenting to it. His exwife, while being spoken to on the phone, was also a fair way into the conversation before being informed that she was not only being recorded, but being recorded for a podcast.

The ex wife may not of even known what a podcast even is.. my mother is in her 70s and she does not have a clue what one is..

Did Fernand mention that they had received a phone call 2 weeks prior too which the team say is nothing to do with them so that may be why he was on the defence..

Episode 11 - wow! I am so disappointed with this podcast. I have an immense amount of sympathy for Sally's position, not knowing what happened to her Mum all this time must be hell but this is ambulance-chasing journalism and its shameful. Those poor people! I cant believe the audacity of Sally/Brian to call Mr Ramekel arrogant and rude. Sallys desire to find her Mum doesnt give her the right to discount the needs and well being of others. I wish the podcast would focus on expanding on what is known instead of all the needless sensationalism.

Did they check why Marion's Medicare card was used in Grafton? Is/was there a way to check what kind of treatment it was used for?

Also, I've been listening to the case since day one and have been reading these theories here for a couple of weeks now. But, I've completely BLANKED on who Lesley is? Did I miss something? Haha.

Also, I still find it weird Marion (Florabella) and Fernand have the same initials. F Remakel. You can get away with some stuff by having the same initials, especially in 1997 I imagine.

Also, so weird that Fernand has the same lamp Marion had.... and all her belongings in the shipping container are gone? I wonder what else he might have in that house....

Also, I recall Fernand's ex wife saying they divorced 30 years ago? But he said he has been with his parnter for 40 years now? Or did I hear that wrong.

Can someone also give me the name of Fernand's partner? I can't remember it and I don't want to have to skip through the whole episode again to find her name. Thanks!

Did they check why Marion's Medicare card was used in Grafton? Is/was there a way to check what kind of treatment it was used for?

Also, I've been listening to the case since day one and have been reading these theories here for a couple of weeks now. But, I've completely BLANKED on who Lesley is? Did I miss something? Haha.

Also, I still find it weird Marion (Florabella) and Fernand have the same initials. F Remakel. You can get away with some stuff by having the same initials, especially in 1997 I imagine.

Also, so weird that Fernand has the same lamp Marion had.... and all her belongings in the shipping container are gone? I wonder what else he might have in that house....
Sally did say that the lamp was sold by laura ashley which means many around

Also, I recall Fernand's ex wife saying they divorced 30 years ago? But he said he has been with his parnter for 40 years now? Or did I hear that wrong.

Can someone also give me the name of Fernand's partner? I can't remember it and I don't want to have to skip through the whole episode again to find her name. Thanks!
The timings seemed off to me too! I can’t remember her first name but last name was Jose

I was on to this straight away, she was 36 when they got divorced and 70 now which meant they were divorced 34 years ago, yet been with his current partner 40 years. Maybe he’s rounding up and didn’t fathom they’d had a chat with his ex, I wish they’d have gone straight to him first I know time was of the essence they didn’t even know if he’d be home while they were in the country but I don’t know, I just feel some more research could have been done on F Remakel in regards to not the type of stuff that’s readily available online. Maybe something a private investigator would have been able to get a hold of like has he travelled during that year to Australia ect

I DO think he’s the MF Remakel from the advert as he’s the only person of that age in the world it could have been, wether or not he knows any info on Marion I’m not sure of but what a coincidence for her to take that surname on. An advert in a paper local to Marion have the name REMAKEL attached To it, have a connection with the football thing, the Laura Ashley lamp (many sold but STILL)

Perhaps the ad was in French because it more common language than his first language so thought more people would be able to communicate with him, and maybe his French is better than his English so didn’t do the advert in English either.

I think he’s just been dropped in it though with the ad and his partner, it’s like the 90’s version of tinder and his other half has just discovered he’s been on the look out for another woman!

I agree with whoever said it should have been executed better! Them saying about the lady sneaking out to take a picture or video of them, well it’s nothing on turning up with microphones and cameras really is it. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal nowadays we document everything to go with a story these days, if I have a weird story and I get a photo to back up the story it does half the explaining to whoever I’m talking to.

I hated his speech onwhat they should have done. Like if you’d have played your cards right we’d have cooked for you and invited you in but nope you were naughty so that’s not happening. Yeah they were probably intimidating in how they appeared and I don’t think Cameras should have been there off the bat,but their words initially were we mean no harm, please just 2 minutes, sipping tea and watching them through a window just seems very “ha ha you can’t get to me”

So many questions but no answers! I’d be pulling my hair out if I was Sally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow