Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Further to the last map it would make sense to go to Caroline springs via the northern route rather than through Gippsland to the south. see attached map.

Attachments

• Caroline springs to Mt Hotham map.jpg
    Caroline springs to Mt Hotham map.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 39
Another point re the shovels, If the burial site is in the Grant historic area its a long trek to Mt Hotham area to dispose of the shovels. Grant is south of the Wonangatta valley and Mt Hotham is North west of the Wonangatta valley with no easy route between the 2 places. If both Grant and the shovels are pieces to the puzzle then GL has gone to some serious steps to conceal the evidence.

Edit: Looking at the maps again i was incorrect Mt Hotham is NE of Grant and there is a reasonable road that connects MT Hotham to Dargo which is not too far from Grant Historic area. So it is a possibility that there is a link there.
As others have mentioned the shovels were not the type that you would choose to dig in the rocky ground up there , but they were the type you might have for 4WD activities to get yourself out of a bog etc. Just me thinking out load...

I just noticed you are a verified friend of Russell. I’m so sorry for your loss, our wonderful cops are onto it. Justice for Russell and Carol.

Thank you for joining us, your insight is gold.

Last edited:
Nah mate it’s pretty straightforward getting into Grant off the Dargo High Plains road. I actually wondered that he might’ve gone as far up to Blue Rag to hide them, but Grant does make perfect sense if you’re looking for pre-dug holes. I reckon this guy had a decent long-handle spade on board to do the back-fill.

Those flimsy white shovels were cheap snow shovels, I honestly doubt this guy would mess around with them and reckon they were a red herring. They were found off the side of the GAR on the Harrietville side, if my memory is good not far from where the camera is that snaps you entering or leaving the Hotham resort (the one that snapped him).

I will have to check the records, but from memory the shovels were found off the side of the road leading to Mt Hotham. If the photo of the blue Nissan were taken on the Mt Hotham road then it could be a link. There are a couple of roads it could have been in the area (Dargo High Plains road or The Great Alpine road being the main roads used to access Mt Hotham).
Just looking at the maps again and I was incorrect in my first posting re the shovels and Grant Historic area. The journey would not be as arduous as I first thought. It may be a possibility, but still a bit of an effort to hide your tracks if in fact that is what has happened.

And that was his first and probably biggest mistake. If he’d gone back home through Gippy he never would’ve had his picture snapped, and we wouldn’t be having this conversation!

Further to the last map it would make sense to go to Caroline springs via the northern route rather than through Gippsland to the south. see attached map.

Thanks for that, I hadn't realized the image of the blue vehicle was taken so far from the campsite.

They were found off the side of the GAR on the Harrietville side, if my memory is good not far from where the camera is that snaps you entering or leaving the Hotham resort (the one that snapped him).

So when police started searching that area, back in April, that must have given GL a shock! They were definitely onto him. Wonder whether the shovels were theatre to get the story onto the news...

And that was his first and probably biggest mistake. If he’d gone back home through Gippy he never would’ve had his picture snapped, and we wouldn’t be having this conversation!
I don't know the routes at all, but it seems LE were extremely thorough in searching for any available footage, far along each route: perhaps he would have been recorded along there, too?

From the pics in news reports over the past months, it seemed more like RH would be sociable and sit around the campfire for a chat at night, not be fighting over campsites. It looks like he set up near the long drop for convenience (CC to empty the Porta). I can only imagine them inviting GL to have a cuppa at the camp at dusk, not having a punch on. Especially with CC being there, who seems by reports to be a very sociable person.
Edit: RH would likely empty the porta!

Bingo. Those shovels were discovered when the huge Ride for Lily were going along that road. Wouldn’t mind betting some eagle eyed cyclists spotted them and reported them, and the coppers just ran with it. I heard a rumour from someone who works up on the mountain that the circus was moved further along the road than where the shovels were actually found, and that’s what makes me think it was a red herring, just didn’t realise the exact reason til now, but if true it would’ve been to make old mate nervous.

So when police started searching that area, back in April, that must have given GL a shock! They were definitely onto him. Wonder whether the shovels were theatre to get the story onto the news...

I will have to check the records, but from memory the shovels were found off the side of the road leading to Mt Hotham. If the photo of the blue Nissan were taken on the Mt Hotham road then it could be a link. There are a couple of roads it could have been in the area (Dargo High Plains road or The Great Alpine road being the main roads used to access Mt Hotham).
Just looking at the maps again and I was incorrect in my first posting re the shovels and Grant Historic area. The journey would not be as arduous as I first thought. It may be a possibility, but still a bit of an effort to hide your tracks if in fact that is what has happened.

Welcome, @Motomike , and thanks for your insider contributions!

sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

I worry about search dogs feet.

I have seen pics of some wearing little boots. Those were ones where earthquakes had happened and they were sniffing in the ruins of buildings.
Since then I've thought that maybe all search dogs should wear boots. Or would it hinder their searching.

I was just reading up about cadaver dogs. What amazing abilities these dogs have. Hopefully they have some involved in their search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991