Identified! Australia - Shallow Inlet, Victoria,' Sandy Point John Doe', Skeletal remains found on the ocean floor, 25 Dec. 2017 - Christopher Luke Moore

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
''On Christmas Day in 2017, a snorkeler's chance discovery at Shallow Inlet, Sandy Point, Victoria, would set into motion an investigation that would unravel a 95-year-old mystery. Skeletal remains were found on the ocean floor, devoid of tissue, clothing, or personal effects. With no context or clues to the man's identity, Victoria Police reported the death to the coroner and transferred the remains to the Victorian Institute for Forensic Medicine (VIFM).

As the VIFM's team of experts began their scientific tests, they were able to infer some characteristics of the unknown person. The forensic anthropologist determined that the remains belonged to a Caucasian male, aged between 21 and 37 years, and stood at approximately 170 centimeters tall. The forensic odontologist, delving into the dental restorations, hinted at the intriguing possibility of an overseas origin or a dental work style that harked back to antiquity.

Radiocarbon testing further illuminated the timeline, indicating a 95% probability that the individual lived between 1666 and 1942. A nuclear DNA profile and a mitochondrial DNA profile were obtained from the remains. The DNA profile information was compared to the Victorian Missing Persons DNA Database and no match was found. The DNA profile was also uploaded to the National Criminal Investigation DNA Database – Integrated Forensic Analysis (NCIDD-IFA) for identification purposes, with no match.

ecb01924-2f42-11ee-8538-0242ac160003.jpg

<modsnip for 10% copyright rule>

1690803229805.png
Article Image

Gippsland’s human skull mystery solved after 95 years​

A forensics breakthrough has identified a man who drowned in 1928 in a case that became known as the Sandy Point skeleton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this story! What a wonderful experience this must have been for all the teams involved in trying to discover this person's name. Kuddos for the international work.

Q'n: Whose mandible was found at Shallow inlet? I'm not clear whether it belonged to Christopher Luke Moore, or if it was misidentified many years ago and belongs to someone else.

I love this story! What a wonderful experience this must have been for all the teams involved in trying to discover this person's name. Kuddos for the international work.

Q'n: Whose mandible was found at Shallow inlet? I'm not clear whether it belonged to Christopher Luke Moore, or if it was misidentified many years ago and belongs to someone else.
It likely was his mandible. There was no other mandible recovered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back