Australia Australia- Sorrento Back Beach, Woman, 65-70, 5'4'', grey hair, 6 inch scar on leg, pearls, pink corset, found floating in water, 25 Feb 1966

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Oct 23 2023 rbbm
Mornington Crime Investigation Unit detectives have released a fresh appeal for public assistance to help identify an unidentified female who was located deceased in Sorrento over 57 years ago.

The woman’s body was located floating in the water of Sorrento Back Beach by passers by in the evening of 25th February 1966.

It is not known how the woman came to be at the beach, or if she was from the area.

Today, detectives are releasing a digitally generated image of the woman in the hope that someone may be able to provide information regarding her identity.

Image-1.jpg

She is described as being between 65-70 years old, around 164cms tall, and of slight build.

The woman had grey hair, no teeth and brown eyes with a blue periphery in her iris.

She also had a pre-existing a six-inch scar on her left leg.

When she was located, she was wearing a string of pearls, a pink bra, a pink corset, blue bloomers and nylon stockings.

No personal belongings were found on the beach.

Detectives are also releasing an image of another female who might be linked to the woman and could potentially help unravel this mystery.

Image-2.jpg

The photo was located with the deceased woman’s police file from 1966 but there was no explanation as to where it came from, or how it is connected.

The photo was identified as having been taken in Italy and was dated 10 April 1961.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or log onto www.crimestoppers.com.au

Upon first reading I thought they found the photo near the woman's body, but then reading a few reports it's said that it's not known why the photo was in the dead woman's file or how it came to be there.

Maybe someone just made a mistake and put it in the wrong file.

The pictures of this poor lady are so sad. No one ever came forward to say, "my sister, neighbor, aunt is missing"? Since that does not seem to be the case, I'd be looking at newcomers whose Visa's/Passports had expired and never renewed. (And specifically if their was a "sponsor" or reason for visit notations back in 1966.) From the description of the undergarments, nylons, pearls etc....she was dressed really nice. (A bit much for grocery shopping, IMHO) Was she going to an event such as a nearby church?
Edited to add: If she drove herself there, then her car would have still been there, right? So what mode of transport/transporter took her there?

Last edited:
Unsure offhand how long the woman may have been in the water, but since she was found on the 25th of Feb; wondering if the pearls and pink bra & corset might suggest something happened around Valentine's Day (as often seems to be the case)
complete speculation, imo, fwiw.

1698074475588.png
''A Jane Doe found dead at a Victorian beach more than 57 years ago remains unidentified but police aren’t giving up on cracking the case.

The woman’s body was discovered floating in the water off Sorrento beach on the Mornington Peninsula by passers-by during the evening of February 25, 1966.''

Okay you Sleuths hooked me and now I am down the "rabbit hole" so to speak. This wonderfully dressed woman was found at Sorrento Back Beach, near Melbourne, Australia and now after 50+ years a picture of a woman from Italy is being attached to the mystery, right? Not surprisingly/coincidentally, there is a beach resort in (wait for it....) Sorrento, Italy. (There are no coincidences, hmmm???)

Thanks TootsieFootsie! So for some reason the photo was in the file is from 1966? If she was dressed to go grocery shopping...I'm still wondering about possible transportation/transporter. So as I go down the rabbit hole of this mystery, and reread "no teeth"... that strikes me as both sad and odd...not one tooth, molar? Guess it would be darned near impossible to find records on dental prosthetic devices manufactured in that area/timeframe, huh?
Any idea what spurred the "new appeal?" Is foul play suspected or soley an attempt to identify this poor lady's earthly name?

Thanks TootsieFootsie! So for some reason the photo was in the file is from 1966? If she was dressed to go grocery shopping...I'm still wondering about possible transportation/transporter. So as I go down the rabbit hole of this mystery, and reread "no teeth"... that strikes me as both sad and odd...not one tooth, molar? Guess it would be darned near impossible to find records on dental prosthetic devices manufactured in that area/timeframe, huh?
Any idea what spurred the "new appeal?" Is foul play suspected or soley an attempt to identify this poor lady's earthly name?
Maybe a new push now because @othram might be able to help ID the woman? imo, rbbm
''Under the agreement, the AFP’s National DNA Program for Unidentified and Missing Persons will provide forensic evidence from some of Australia’s most challenging unidentified and missing persons cases to the United States-based forensic genomics laboratory Othram to be examined using advanced forensic DNA tools, including Forensic Genetic Genealogy (FGG).

Othram is the world’s first purpose-built FGG laboratory for human identification applications. Over the last three years, Othram’s technology has helped law enforcement agencies in the United States and Canada solve many decades-old cases.''

Maybe a new push now because @othram might be able to help ID the woman? imo, rbbm
''Under the agreement, the AFP’s National DNA Program for Unidentified and Missing Persons will provide forensic evidence from some of Australia’s most challenging unidentified and missing persons cases to the United States-based forensic genomics laboratory Othram to be examined using advanced forensic DNA tools, including Forensic Genetic Genealogy (FGG).

Othram is the world’s first purpose-built FGG laboratory for human identification applications. Over the last three years, Othram’s technology has helped law enforcement agencies in the United States and Canada solve many decades-old cases.''
dotr (DOTR) Many thanks and I followed your link. @othram is actually a member of Websleuths and the owner of OTHRAM who joined in April 2020, oh wow and a verified DNA expert, too. Double wow!!
Outer clothing was not mentioned, or other jewelry (thinking cameo brooch) earrings (pierced ears?), rings or bracelets. Were the pearls faux, real or cultured? Type of clasp (silver, gold, diamond insets or platinum).

dotr (DOTR) Many thanks and I followed your link. @othram is actually a member of Websleuths and the owner of OTHRAM who joined in April 2020, oh wow and a verified DNA expert, too. Double wow!!
Outer clothing was not mentioned, or other jewelry (thinking cameo brooch) earrings (pierced ears?), rings or bracelets. Were the pearls faux, real or cultured? Type of clasp (silver, gold, diamond insets or platinum).

The 25th February 1966 was a Friday. However, that was only the day she was found. I'm presuming she wasn't in the water for more than a few days, if that.

I'm not sure if the lady in the photo is her. I don't think so. The deceased died age 65-ish on 1966, and the photo is dated 1961, but the lady in the photo looks younger than 60 years of age.

I wonder if it was put in her file accidentally?

Strange about the deceased having no teeth whatsoever. Hmmm.

I don't have any answers except yes, there is a Sorrento in southern Italy too. Near Naples, on the Italian Riviera. It's a hugely popular tourist destination for Europeans.

Sorrento Beach in Victoria is almost on the tip of a long peninsula. Map below.

It's quite a way from Melbourne, 109km (approx 70 miles) and would take 1 hour and 30 mins to drive it.

There are little towns and beach communities down there today.... so she could have come from one of those and been local.

The area was a popular tourist hotspot for Melburnians back in the 1960s too.

It's also possible she could've fallen, or been pushed off, a passing boat and washed up....that outer side of the peninsula would have heavy surf and waves. It's not on the calmer inside part of the bay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024-001445~2.png
    Screenshot_20231024-001445~2.png
    731.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads