Australia Australia - Suzanne Armstrong, 28, Susan Bartlett, 27, Collingwood, Vic, 10 Jan 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have been searching high and low for a thread on this. Thought it would have to 'Easey Street' in the thread title but not so.

Anyway, was driving at the weekend when my daughter just come out with the news, right out of the blue and I nearly crashed the car in shock. I have followed this case forever and I swear I had a tingling sensation right up my back when I heard the news.
Glad you found us :D

Sep 24, 2024
#ABCNewsIndepth #ABCNewsAustralia
'After a breakthrough arrest, Victoria Police are closer to solving one of the state's oldest cold cases, the Easey Street murders.Perry Kouroumblis has been arrested in Rome in connection with the 1977 murders of Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong on Easey Street, Collingwood.7.30’s Mike Lorigan and Alysia Thomas-Sam report.'

Regina Coeli prison must have been a bit much to cope with, unsurprisingly.

( this quick capitulation makes me think his foray into Rome was not intended to be a matter of being picked up and bought back to Melbourne, he could have handed himself into the Attica Police station in Athens and save himself the airfare !)

'''
Lawyer, Serena Tucci, said Mr Kouroumblis has told authorities he will cooperate with the extradition.

"Perry exercised his right to remain silent, said he was innocent and gave his consent for extradition," Ms Tucci said.
“He was certainly surprised that he had been arrested. He told me he came to Italy for professional reasons, work-related reasons. That’s what he told me,” she said. “Only for a few days and then to return to Greece, and he did not expect this arrest, that’s for sure.

“He had no idea. He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy.”... :cool:

“He had no idea. He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy.”.

( I find this particular claim really difficult to believe. This man's entire existence relies on his constant adherence and knowledge of international law. He could not even walk down the Plaka in Athens without being aware of calculated risks inherent in that action, and as for actually dusting off his passport, purchasing a ticket to Italy, applying for a visa, making sure he could return to Greece, all this while having no idea of Italian law... ..... this bit just does not compute.)

Last edited:
“He had no idea. He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy.”.

( I find this particular claim really difficult to believe. This man's entire existence relies on his constant adherence and knowledge of international law. He could not even walk down the Plaka in Athens without being aware of calculated risks inherent in that action, and as for actually dusting off his passport, purchasing a ticket to Italy, applying for a visa, making sure he could return to Greece, all this while having no idea of Italian law... ..... this bit just does not compute.)

depends on when the red notice was issued IMO. We’re assuming he’s sophisticated enough to know what that is firstly. Secondly we don’t know if he left Greece before that notice was issued. He might have thought being in Europe would be enough and the police just forgot about him. Oops.

depends on when the red notice was issued IMO. We’re assuming he’s sophisticated enough to know what that is firstly. Secondly we don’t know if he left Greece before that notice was issued. He might have thought being in Europe would be enough and the police just forgot about him. Oops.
He was asked to submit to a DNA test, when he was in Melbourne, this was in 2017. He left Melbourne , suddenly, apparently to look after his ailing mother currently residing in Athens, without performing the DNA test.

Not an appointment one would over look, one would think. He would know that his absence would be noted by VICPOL. As a consequence of his absence, one of his relatives left in Melbourne was required to submit to the test, ( And this test on the close relative would have been a mitochondrial dna test , a different one that that which Perry avoided because of the sequence of familial relations, ) The Red notice would have been issued precisely because he left without undergoing the DNA requirement.

Reasonable to presume that relative told Perry what he'd had to do in place of Perry doing it. ...

As for sophistication, he was sophisticated enough to keep this terrible secret for nearly 50 years. At 17, it is alleged, he managed to maintain a facade of total detachment. That's pretty sophisticated, in anyone's book.

He would have known that his cousin, in Athens, also a Perry, was tracked down by Interpol, so the original Perry would have been told that. One reason he stayed in Greece was the statute of limitations thingy that enabled his 'freedom' . ....So he knew he was on the watch list.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think it's at least possible he didn't know.

Innocent until proven guilty, but for argument's sake, let's say he did it. 2017 rolls round, the cops want DNA. He's not going to want to give it, because they could potentially match it. But he may not know whether the cops have a full, useable profile. Heck, maybe it's just partial DNA - enough to rule people out, but not definitely say that person X is a match.

Obviously he's not gonna take chances, so he flees to Greece. Six years in, living normally. Nothing from the cops in either country, nothing from the media back home about DNA or how he's wanted for murder. Maybe they never got an actual DNA hit and that's why he's never heard a peep.

But IF he were smart and logical, at some point he'd look into extradition laws. He'd become aware of the specifics of the Greek/Australia treaty - i.e. a limitation period - and consider whether this is the ONLY thing keeping him safe. And he wouldn't travel to any nearby countries without checking on this. But IF he's a bit ignorant and he's just a 60-something welder who never figured out exactly why he was safe and after six years he gets a bit careless...

By Sam Cucchiara|4 hours ago
'A former Melbourne high school teacher who lives a few doors down from the Easey Street murder home in Collingwood has told of another neighbour's chilling encounter with the alleged killer.

Hugh Parry-Jones, a retired high school history teacher, told A Current Affair he moved into Easey Street 10 years after the murders and befriended an elderly woman who lived next door to the home where Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett were stabbed to death.

He said the woman, only known as Mrs Coventry, told him about the "very hot night" in January 1977.'
'She was sitting out the back of her house in the kitchen which looks straight across the kitchen to the murder house," Parry-Jones, who has lived on Easey Street for 37 years, told A Current Affair.

"She told me how she saw a bloke in there and at some later point he was washing his hands vigorously at the sink.'

Hmm, I think it's at least possible he didn't know.

Innocent until proven guilty, but for argument's sake, let's say he did it. 2017 rolls round, the cops want DNA. He's not going to want to give it, because they could potentially match it. But he may not know whether the cops have a full, useable profile. Heck, maybe it's just partial DNA - enough to rule people out, but not definitely say that person X is a match.

Obviously he's not gonna take chances, so he flees to Greece. Six years in, living normally. Nothing from the cops in either country, nothing from the media back home about DNA or how he's wanted for murder. Maybe they never got an actual DNA hit and that's why he's never heard a peep.

But IF he were smart and logical, at some point he'd look into extradition laws. He'd become aware of the specifics of the Greek/Australia treaty - i.e. a limitation period - and consider whether this is the ONLY thing keeping him safe. And he wouldn't travel to any nearby countries without checking on this. But IF he's a bit ignorant and he's just a 60-something welder who never figured out exactly why he was safe and after six years he gets a bit careless...
All fine points and worthy of further elaboration, PE, ... in addition to your theory, I am asked to believe that in all of Italy, no welder could be found to be in Rome, so a Greek speaking non Italian speaking ( as far as we know) 65 yr old bloke from Athens is flown in.

To Italy, home of welding, where trains, super efficient welded steel trains run on super efficient welded train lines run hourly from Milan to Palermo, and back, all day, all night, and not one welder to be found to hop off at Rome for a few days work. Where children get welding kits as little hobby toys and grow up welding for the hell of it. Rome itself is held together by welders. ....

And that this 2 day work offer was so substantial that he, who had not lifted his head above the parapet in Athens, for 8 years and for a very good reason, no visits to Macedonia, to Croatia, to Slovenia, etc where welders are really wanted , nothing, we know this because he was not picked up before on the Red List, which operates on International trains, on the ferries, on the bus routes, it's not just airport stuff... for work for a couple of days, according to his advocate, he did this incredibly risky action....

Count me highly skeptical.

Last edited:

Regina Coeli prison must have been a bit much to cope with, unsurprisingly.

( this quick capitulation makes me think his foray into Rome was not intended to be a matter of being picked up and bought back to Melbourne, he could have handed himself into the Attica Police station in Athens and save himself the airfare !)

'''
Lawyer, Serena Tucci, said Mr Kouroumblis has told authorities he will cooperate with the extradition.

"Perry exercised his right to remain silent, said he was innocent and gave his consent for extradition," Ms Tucci said.
“He was certainly surprised that he had been arrested. He told me he came to Italy for professional reasons, work-related reasons. That’s what he told me,” she said. “Only for a few days and then to return to Greece, and he did not expect this arrest, that’s for sure.

“He had no idea. He had no idea that there was a different law in Italy.”... :cool:
There seem to be conflicting reasons for why the accused left Australia, depending on who you ask.

I'm sure I've already read one of his associates claim he 'left to look after his sick mother in Greece.' Now it was for 'professional reasons, work-related reasons'. Professional reasons, when he was about 16 years old?

The timing of his leaving. Different accounts of why he left. That he lived locally, attended the same school that Susan Bartlett taught at and they both spoke Greek. The DNA.

Not looking good Mr Kouroumblis.

There seem to be conflicting reasons for why the accused left Australia, depending on who you ask.

I'm sure I've already read one of his associates claim he 'left to look after his sick mother in Greece.' Now it was for 'professional reasons, work-related reasons'. Professional reasons, when he was about 16 years old?

The timing of his leaving. Different accounts of why he left. That he lived locally, attended the same school that Susan Bartlett taught at and they both spoke Greek. The DNA.

Just to clarify, I think the "professional reasons, work-related reasons" were stated by him to his lawyer as his reason for going to Italy from Greece. And then he was arrested. Not for him leaving Australia.

The quote comes from this paywalled article, but I am able to pull it up on Google preview for those who can't read the whole article.

a.jpg

Last edited:

Susan Armstrong spoke Greek fluently, apparently, she had met little Gregory's father on Naxos while on holiday in Greece... a dreadful sort of symmetry that Greece had so much to do with her death , as in her life..... Gregory eventually re united with his father later in his life.

1727315085595.png
''According to The Age, the “problem boy” reportedly spent his teenage years breaking into homes, stealing jewellery and drifting in and out of youth detention.

These sentiments were in stark contrast to those by friend Phil Akers who spoke to Kouroumblis almost every day for about 10 years when the man lived next door to his business in Dandenong.''

His going to Greece to possibly look after his mother happened in 2017, not when he was 16.
Professional reasons could mean anything. Maybe caring for his mother became his job.

It is said he was a welder but that doesn't mean once you become a welder or whatever, that you are stuck in that job forever and can't become anything else.

We don't know enough about his life yet.

Last edited:
His going to Greece to possibly look after his mother happened in 2017, not when he was 16.
Professional reasons could mean anything. Maybe caring for his mother became his job.

It is said he was a welder but that doesn't mean once you become a welder or whatever, that you are stuck in that job forever and can't become anything else.

True. For all we know he might have "had" to go to Italy for a work seminar or similar. And couldn't really get out of going without revealing he shouldn't leave Greece and good reason why, so he took the chance.

Cheers for the correction. Got my timeline skewiff. These decades old cold cases get me confused with dates at times.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lupa
Back