Australia Australia - Suzanne Armstrong, 28, Susan Bartlett, 27, Collingwood, Vic, 10 Jan 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe
Lucky his ticket was for Rome and not Milan, because he would have wound up in San Vittore Prison , a fate slightly worse than Regina Coeli... built for 600 prisoners, it holds about 2,300 today, ....

He would have been there longer, too, because while AU has an embassy in Rome, and an Ambassador ( Margaret Twomey) Milan only has an AU consulate, things take longer.

I got the impression, Dr S, that everyone is being a bit coy and shy about why Perry suddenly ups sticks and heads for Italy. Keeping in mind, as Sly says, he was asked, back in Melbourne, in 2017, to submit to a DNA< said yes, and skipped out of it and off to Greece , in jig time in his socks, and disappeared under the legal umbrella of Greek law.

Shane Patton said he did not know why Perry went off to Italy , but his little face looked mighty suspicious, to me. His eyes widened, and he had a little tremor of the lips...

So Perry knows, as long as he is in Greece, if he keeps low, he won't be extradited back to Collingwood Magistrates Court.

But then, at 65, for some reason, some inner voice , some call only his ear can hear, he lays out money on a trip to Rome that guarantees him being picked up on a Red Alert, since he would know that VICPOL, once they realised he had scarperd , would move on to a relative of his, because of Mitochondrial DNA , probably young Tony , his younger brother who speaks of him so firmly , could have been Tony that had to do the test, and would have, not believing that Perry would do such a thing, and still doesn't., that told him about the coppers putting him thru it because Perry had gorn, gorn, gorn...

Perry would know all this, he 'd have to keep up with stuff like that , his very existence relies upon him being in the loop on detection in criminal matters, all over the world....

But he buys that ticket! he boards that plane... . .. I am astonished at this. It had to be good stuff, life changing stuff, stuff of his dreams, a windfall , a huge project...... why else would someone walk straight into the lions den? After nearly 50 years of laying low.....?

Inclined to think there may have been some sympathy from within the Greek police to enable whatever operation was/was not involved in this individual voluntarily travelling outside their jurisdiction.

Melbourne is well known for having one of the largest Greek diasporas:

MOO

https://www.9news.com.au/national/e...s-suspect/1487630a-273c-4ceb-b74b-8c43cf8a66a
rbbm
'Perry's brother Tony now claims his sibling wasn't even in Victoria when Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett were stabbed dozens of times in a house in Collingwood 47 years ago.'

''Tony originally told media his brother was a student at Collingwood High School, where Bartlett worked as an arts and crafts teacher.
But he now claims his brother went to a different school.
Tony today told media he wants his brother to return to Australia so he can clear his name.''

https://www.9news.com.au/national/e...s-suspect/1487630a-273c-4ceb-b74b-8c43cf8a66a
rbbm
'Perry's brother Tony now claims his sibling wasn't even in Victoria when Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett were stabbed dozens of times in a house in Collingwood 47 years ago.'

''Tony originally told media his brother was a student at Collingwood High School, where Bartlett worked as an arts and crafts teacher.
Tony today told media he wants his brother to return to Australia so he can clear his name.''
Probably time for young Tony to lay low and wait for events to become less murky and more transparent.

rbbm

That article now seems to have vanished?

What accused Easey Street double killer told friends when he left Australia​

By Chris Vedelago and Erin Pearson

September 24, 2024 — 5.00am

Paraphrased:

This article states a long-time associate ( Arjan Tuli ) said Kouroumblis told him in 2017 that he was leaving the country to take care of his ailing mother, who was living in Greece at the time.

He said “He moved because his mother had moved there and she was alone. He moved to help their mother,”

“She decided to give one property to Perry and she said: ‘You come live with me and look after me and I’ll give you the property’.”

Arjan Tuli is the owner of the property that Perry Kouroumblis had been living before he moved to Greece. They had known each other for more than 20 years through his daughter, who is married to Kouroumblis’ brother, Tony.

Tuli said Perry worked as a welder & never married & had not returned to Australia in the past 6yrs as far as he is aware. He's shocked at the allegations & says hes a " normal person"

Tuli : “We can’t believe Perry is involved in this sort of thing. He was very open, very calm,”

“I don’t think this can be proven because I don’t think Perry was that sort of person. If somebody had done this sort of thing he would be in hiding, not living a normal life over here as a normal citizen.”

PK Had minor brushes with the law : driving while disqualified in 1996
careless driving and drink-driving in 1999.

Records are not available before 1993.

Italian authorities told The Australian that the “clock has started ticking” for extradition, with a 40 day deadline from the moment Kouroumblis was detained.

Just how quickly Kouroumblis returns to Australia to face trial depends on whether he lodges a last minute objection to the extradition.

If Kouroumblis decides not to contest the extradition, he could be back in Australia before this Christmas. But if he does fight the extradition, the case could drag out throughout 2025 and into 2026.

Complete speculation on my behalf but I wonder if VICPOL pulled some Mr Big type of scheme to incentivise him to make that trip

How cops played a waiting game for the suspected Easey St double-killer - before an elaborate sting may have finally lured him out of his safe haven after decades on the run​

Police sources have told Daily Mail Australia they suspected Victorian detectives could well have set up the alleged killer to leave Greece, where he shared dual nationality with Australia.

'It's actually a pretty sound idea because it would have been near-on impossible to have extradited him from Greece,' a source said.

Dual citizen of Australia and Greece Perry Kouroumblis expected to be brought back to Australia by late October​

Accused killer Perry Kouroumblis has appeared before an Italian court and sources in Italy’s border control office say plans to transport him back to Australia are already underway.

Olivia Jenkins and Erik Messori in Rome

2 min read
September 24, 2024 - 8:07AM

Paraphrased:

PK is expected to be brought back to Australia by late October, with sources in Italy’s border control office saying plans to transport him back to Australia were already underway.

PK has appeared before an Italian court ( as per sources ) which approved his extradition on the grounds that he would not be put in danger by the move & that “conditions for extradition are optimal”.

He had court appointed lawyer.

Pk ran a welding business in Dandenong

Extradition process begins for Easey Street murders accused Perry Kouroumblis​

Perry Kouroumblis could be returned to Melbourne before Christmas to face two murder charges and one count of rape for a crime committed nearly half a century ago.

Jacquelin Magnay

September 24, 2024 - 5:58AM

Paraphrased:

If PK fights the extradition, the case could drag out throughout 2025 and into 2026.

If PK challenges the extradition request, it will be heard by an Italian Court of Appeal which has a year to hand down a decision.

If the court then rules in favour of the extradition, the Justice minister has up to 45 days to issue the extradition order if there is no further appeal to a higher court.

How cops played a waiting game for the suspected Easey St double-killer - before an elaborate sting may have finally lured him out of his safe haven after decades on the run​

Police sources have told Daily Mail Australia they suspected Victorian detectives could well have set up the alleged killer to leave Greece, where he shared dual nationality with Australia.

'It's actually a pretty sound idea because it would have been near-on impossible to have extradited him from Greece,' a source said.
Three compelling motivators... Sex, Money, Religion. I reckon , since he was unmarried, no children, possibly he was suddenly blinded by some lovely fast talking Greek AU ( undercover VICPOL constable, ) dressed in deepest black, a sad widow , a rich sad Orthodox widow, needing solace from an older gentleman, stranded in Rome by Italian devious paperwork, needing rescue, and comfort. Enter Perry, a quick dash to Rome to bring her back to Athens, and days of bouzoki and ouzo, strolling together into the sunset, .....

(the Sting operation to convict Brett Cowan had a cast of thousands, men, women, flights back and forth across and up and down AU, etc)

Last edited:

What accused Easey Street double killer told friends when he left Australia​

This article states a long-time associate ( Arjan Tuli ) said Kouroumblis told him in 2017 that he was leaving the country to take care of his ailing mother, who was living in Greece at the time.

He said “He moved because his mother had moved there and she was alone. He moved to help their mother,”

“She decided to give one property to Perry and she said: ‘You come live with me and look after me and I’ll give you the property’.”
edited by me for emphasis....

A terrific coincidence that at the exact time VICPOL required him to undergo a DNA test for purposes of elimination, his ailing mother suddenly needed him in Athens to look after her, AND had a property to give him as inducement... .... :rolleyes:

September 24, 2024 - 10:51AM

Paraphrased:

Words from Victoria Police chief commissioner Shane Patton:

• Has cautioned the extradition process of the man accused is complex and largely sits with authorities in Italy.
  • He is hopeful Victorian homicide members could fly to Italy in little more than a month to give evidence to an Italian court.
  • The extradition process will depend on whether PK accepted the extradition - “It will depend on the approach taken by the suspect that we’ve charged as to whether they accept extradition or contest it,” “They’re not straightforward scenarios.”
  • Commissioner Patton wouldn’t detail the evidence gathered against Kouroumblis but said he expects it to be strong enough to land the man arrested back in Melbourne - “I would like to think (extradition is likely) — we don’t charge people unless we have significant evidence and in this case I believe that is also the situation,” “We do have sufficient evidence to justify an extradition but that’ll be a matter for Italian courts to work through… they’re matters for the Italian authorities.”
An Italian source told the Herald Sun the “conditions for extradition are optimal”.

September 24, 2024 - 10:51AM

Paraphrased:

Words from Victoria Police chief commissioner Shane Patton:

• Has cautioned the extradition process of the man accused is complex and largely sits with authorities in Italy.
  • He is hopeful Victorian homicide members could fly to Italy in little more than a month to give evidence to an Italian court.
  • The extradition process will depend on whether PK accepted the extradition - “It will depend on the approach taken by the suspect that we’ve charged as to whether they accept extradition or contest it,” “They’re not straightforward scenarios.”
  • Commissioner Patton wouldn’t detail the evidence gathered against Kouroumblis but said he expects it to be strong enough to land the man arrested back in Melbourne - “I would like to think (extradition is likely) — we don’t charge people unless we have significant evidence and in this case I believe that is also the situation,” “We do have sufficient evidence to justify an extradition but that’ll be a matter for Italian courts to work through… they’re matters for the Italian authorities.”
An Italian source told the Herald Sun the “conditions for extradition are optimal”.
If he will accept the extradition.. ... He could have chosen a whole lot of other places other than Rome to be nabbed, if he was tired of it all.. Norway, for example, lovely prisons, uncrowded, clean, lawyers on tap, inherent rights, good food etc...or Denmark, or The Netherlands, all well run prisons, ... not saying Regina Coeli is not, but it is an ancient convent , very crowded and soon the icy winds will blow down from the Dolomites, across the Tiber, which runs near Regina in Rome.

Optimal conditions, for the Italians to consider.. AU has no death penalty, and if the DNA is conclusive enough.... Italy would not allow extradition if there was the death penalty on the horizon.

Have been searching high and low for a thread on this. Thought it would have to have 'Easey Street' in the thread title but not so.

Anyway, was driving at the weekend when my daughter just come out with the news, right out of the blue and I nearly crashed the car in shock. I have followed this case forever and I swear I had a tingling sensation right up my back when I heard the news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka
Back