Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sure it's his. The family had a closer look and I read that their members said they were sure about that fact.

Théo had only his purse, his phone ans his cap to lose easily. Phone and purse usefull for others and ... gone. Cap disposed of on top of leaves not even hidden (as far as I know)

So what do y’all make of the hat then? Do you think it is his? Do you think he lost it or that it was planted?

Just curious and trying to read between the lines. :)
I lean towards it being Theo's. Doesn't that jump out at you?;)

How it got there, I don't know. But since he was around the area some time that night, the simple answer without trying too hard, is he dropped it.

Of course it could be less straightforward than that. But so far I haven't heard a theory that makes total sense to me.

MOO JMO...

Not necessarily, if you draw a line between the three locations there's an eerie regularity to the distance between event's.
If a person has a particular 'type' it doesn't mean he initiated contact prior to abduction.
The pattern (?) , which if you accept begins in Sydney has a shocking amount of men who have completely vanished.
Maybe I'm crazy but I see some unusual cconnections that's hard to write off to 'coincidence.

If there is any connections (and I have considered these connections and possibilities strongly recently.

Sydney to Brisbane is a very busy route for sales reps, tradesmen and truck drivers who stop overnight in locations to either sleep in their truck or stay in motels.

I did this run for 3 years. I liked certain areas such as Coffs and Newcastle and chose to stay there as liked to spend time there whilst on the road for work. This meant that I got to know the areas well. and most likely the only people that knew I was there were the accommodation I stayed at.

Many say that they were not close by and connected however for a regular worker such as the above mentioned, they would be up and down the coast all the time for work, and be able to stay where they want when they want at no fixed address.

It is one of my strongest theories now.

61c5836e2dc1cda7a77bbab1a0ac0e3aedf34355

This is the picture of Théo's cap after it was found. It appeared on theage.com.au on October 13th. I remember you dealt ideas about the state of the cap and of the place (leaves,dry....) but I can't find it any more. The colour looks the same as in the post #174 above. Would you think that this cap is the same ?

If you look closely to the two caps at the front viser and to the under left you will notice the same fraying of the cap in Theos photo above. It is the best photo I found to compare both caps and IMO I believe it to also be Theos.

Police have not released further information however Theos family and the LFTH FB group announced that regardless of police confirming anything that the family believed it to belong to Theo.

Theo Hayez’s family claim hat belongs to missing backpacker

So what do y’all make of the hat then? Do you think it is his? Do you think he lost it or that it was planted?

Just curious and trying to read between the lines. :)

I originally thought it was planted however no longer do.

IMO he lost it whilst on his way down thorough the bush to the beach.

How he lost it is anyone guess, As we have seen the bush is very dense with loads of vines, trees and tall grasses in the general area around tallow and the Cape Byron area.

I lean towards it being Theo's. Doesn't that jump out at you?;)

How it got there, I don't know. But since he was around the area some time that night, the simple answer without trying too hard, is he dropped it.

Of course it could be less straightforward than that. But so far I haven't heard a theory that makes total sense to me.

MOO JMO...

I agree Marple,

It is very dense bush and loads vines, trees grass etc, would be easy for a hat to fall off whilst maneuvering through the bush and it may have fallen off without him being able to locate it to pick it up due to the darkness

NoCookies | The Australian

At the request of Théo’s family, The Australian’s national crime correspondent, David Murray, has spent six weeks with the unofficial search party, investigating the mystery disappearance for a new podcast series, The Lighthouse, coming soon.

The Lighthouse
A missing tourist. A celebrity town. A search like no other. David Murray investigates the disappearance of backpacker Théo Hayez.

‎The Lighthouse on Apple Podcasts

Last edited:

For the past three months, The Australian has been investigating Mr Hayez’s disappearance at the request of his family and volunteers supporting them. Together, the family and volunteers have been working on a meticulous search and investigation, parallel to a major police inquiry. They’ve discovered key information about Mr Hayez’s movements that will be detailed and investigated throughout the podcast series.

It is so incredibly sad to hear and see Theo in this video, For most, we are used to seeing just still photos of Theo through this sad time, When we see a video of smiling Theo, It brings to life the sadness and reality of what is.

• DAVID MURRAY
    NATIONAL CRIME CORRESPONDENT
    e31870c60056cb6577e8109a97783202
  • 5 MINUTES AGO NOVEMBER 1, 2019
A new video of missing Belgian tourist Theo Hayez on his Australian travels shows him in some of the clothing he was wearing when he vanished.

The video was recorded by Theo’s cousin, Lisa Hayez, at a Sydney hostel at 3.45am on New Year’s Day 2019.

I should but haven't got time for it yet. If there is any shocking news disclosed in the podcast, please put a spoiler warning before your discussion:p

So Australian/News Corp have been investigating with the insiders for 3 months. 3 months ago... That's around the time when their publications 'leaked' the location route? :cool:

I wish there was spoiler worthy material but fear there will be none.

I am prepared for sensationalist drawing out of non issues and annoying uneventful cliffhangers.

I wish there was spoiler worthy material but fear there will be none.

I am prepared for sensationalist drawing out of non issues and annoying uneventful cliffhangers.

The podcast has been made with a huge amount of love, dedication, investigations and loyalty of the volunteers and Byron community.

The volunteers put a tremendous amount of time into helping Theo’s family work on information they uncovered and searching for Theo.

There is much information the podcast likely will not talk about as it is still being investigated and also Theo’s family most likely want to keep to themselves.

As any case things are spoken about and things are not, just like William Tyrrell case for tactical reasons.

I didn’t like the William podcast at all. Bored the crap out of me.
Theo’s first episode was lovely and I look forward to hearing it all. I’m also a local so this case is one I’ve sluethed in my sleep and met some amazing people in the process.

I admire the determination and time that has been put into this podcast and hope Theo’s family find answers soon.

Before there is a stacks on, I agree wholeheartedly with every single point you made.

My fear and perspective also stands true.

They can both exist at the same time.

United, as we both hope Theo’s family find answers soon.

One can, rightfully, look at the podcast subjectively as a labour of love because of proximity and personal involvement.

It has sentimental value.

One can, also rightfully, look at it objectively for quality, storytelling aptitude and craftsmanship.

This has more to do with the publisher than the contributors.

It’s an old radio and tv trick of the trade (now extended to podcasts) to sensationalise and draw out stories when there is lack of information and clues available. It’s classic soap opera structure. Unfortunately, this has the real potential to cheapen and undermine a story, and lose clever audiences rather than engage them. I truly hope this tactic isn’t at all relevant to Theo’s podcast.

I’m sure those close to Tyrrell case, would be a little hurt by you saying you were bored by their podcast. I’m sure you meant no disrespect.

Likewise, I apologise if my two short sentences regarding my fear hurt you. That was not my intention.

I just hope no one else here is targeted should they choose to opine differently on the podcast quality than those of the Byron Bay community.

We can be on the same side yet think differently and occasionally wish things were done differently.

Once again, apologies.

PS, pro tip: had you not quoted me, I probably wouldn’t have felt targeted and therefore, felt no need to respond because you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree wholeheartedly with every single point you made.

My fear and perspective also stands true.

They can both exist at the same time.

United, as we both hope Theo’s family find answers soon.

One can, rightfully, look at the podcast subjectively as a labour of love because of proximity and personal involvement.

It has sentimental value.

One can, also rightfully, look at it objectively for quality, storytelling aptitude and craftsmanship.

This has more to do with the publisher than the contributors.

It’s an old radio and tv trick of the trade (now extended to podcasts) to sensationalise and draw out stories when there is lack of information and clues available. It’s classic soap opera structure. Unfortunately, this has the real potential to cheapen and undermine a story, and lose clever audiences rather than engage them. I truly hope this tactic isn’t at all relevant to Theo’s podcast.

I’m sure those close to Tyrrell case, would be a little hurt by you saying you were bored by their podcast. I’m sure you meant no disrespect.

Likewise, I apologise if my two short sentences regarding my fear hurt you. That was not my intention.

I just hope no one else here is targeted should they choose to opine differently on the podcast quality than those of the Byron Bay community.

We can be on the same side yet think differently and occasionally wish things were done differently.

Once again, apologies.

PS, pro tip: had you not quoted me, I probably wouldn’t have felt targeted and therefore, felt no need to respond because you are entitled to your opinion.

No need to apologise at all. I’m not directly involved in the volunteer searches however know some of those who are,

I’m sorry if I came across in anyway angry.

I certainly did not mean to target you or make you feel you could not voice your opinion. So I’m sorry to come across that way.

The hardest thing is for everyone there is little information out to the public which makes it difficult to understand and comment. I think that’s what I’m getting at.

I’ve formed some lovely friendships through not only the volunteers but also webslueths since Theo has been missing.

I agree with media too, it always has to be a good story and ratings winner for them. The reality is if it wasn’t a good story to their benefit it likely would not be done. That’s the brutal honesty of it.

agsin heartfully sorry I made you feel uncomfortable I most certainly did not mean to, everyone should be able to voice their opinion and I will endure my wording is a bit better next time x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member