AZ AZ- Ann Caldwell, 18, Tucson, Pima County, March 13, 1956

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

SimsGuy67

Reaction score
A girl I found without a NamUs, Charley Project or even a Doe Network. This case was heavily reported on too so I have no clue how it slipped through the cracks. Anyways, here is this poor girl:
r/gratefuldoe - Ann Elizabeth Caldwell (1956)
r/gratefuldoe - Ann Elizabeth Caldwell (1956)

Ann Elizabeth Caldwell

General Information

Missing Since:
March 13, 1956
Missing From: Tucson, AZ (Police have definite information that she arrived in El Paso at 7 am in March - April 1956)
Sex: Female
Race: White (light complexion)
Date of Birth: February 4, 1938
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue (wears glasses)
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 135 pounds
Clothing: Slate grey blouse, brown wool skirt and a wide black belt with large gold belt buckle. Possibly wearing black flat shoes, a coral red coat, a California souvenir scarf and dark shell rim unswept glasses. Possibly had a black purse or a vanity case with her.

Timeline
March 13, 1956: Told her family she was going to sorority meeting and left her home in Tucson, Arizona
March 14, 1956: Seen walking down US. 70-80 with another girl. (I wonder who? This could be vital. Theory commented below)
March 14, 1956: Ann waves down truck driver on US. 70-80 and he takes Ann to a bus station in Las Cruces.
March 14, 1956: Seen getting out of truck in Las Cruces, NM.
March 14, 1956: Ann buys a bus ticket to Albuquerque, New Mexico or El Paso, Texas.
March 16, 1956: Arrived in El Paso, Texas at 7 am
March 7, 1957: Ann's mother pleads on TV show, Queen for a Day for her daughters return.
Thanksgiving 1959: The body of a girl is found in the Anapra, NM area.
19 January, 1960: Law Enforcement looks into the possibility of the body being Ann.
June 1960: The body is identified as 17 year old Yolanda Gomez. Ann remains missing.

That is the full timeline. Now for the theory on the "other girl".

Theory on the "other girl"
Is it by any means possible the girl travelling with Ann was Beverly Mastny? I might do some research to see if Beverly was also spotted on the highway that night. Beverly was spotted in El Paso, where we assume Ann stayed for a while. It's unlikely but it might be possible. I haven't found any other missing girls from the same general time with a connection to El Paso. If you find anything about this mystery girl please let me know!

That's all on the case so far! It is very confusing to compile all this info and provide sources for it so just let me know if a source slipped through the cracks.

Sources (I believe these are in chronological order.)
237C1821-EA5A-414E-AEEB-C215C9CC9A44.jpeg
C062A8BB-37AF-4F33-B94E-F9EB4F805AAB.jpeg
CEDC0F06-574D-455B-B8D8-536136E826F7.jpeg
7FFF97FF-D6A9-4400-935B-53A0F1FB7A56.jpeg
F9F1FE3B-11AF-460F-8BAC-33FB5DA0733C.jpeg
BBE02570-8C24-4E94-AD60-342123493A75.jpeg
BED0EC55-B703-4E26-A10E-742DFE4CA040.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been confirmed she is still a missing person?

An article about her before she disappeared. She was quite an accomplished student: Arizona Daily Star from Tucson, Arizona on June 9, 1955 · Page 21

Some articles about sightings:

An article about her father. There must be a typo, as it says, "In 1966, his wife, Edith, moved from their ranch in Cochise County to Tucson so the Caldwells' two children could attend school here.": Arizona Daily Star from Tucson, Arizona on July 7, 1983 · Page 17

Both parents and her brother have since passed. She is not mentioned at all, as living or dead, in any of their obituaries.

Has it been confirmed she is still a missing person?

An article about her before she disappeared. She was quite an accomplished student: Arizona Daily Star from Tucson, Arizona on June 9, 1955 · Page 21

Some articles about sightings:

An article about her father. There must be a typo, as it says, "In 1966, his wife, Edith, moved from their ranch in Cochise County to Tucson so the Caldwells' two children could attend school here.": Arizona Daily Star from Tucson, Arizona on July 7, 1983 · Page 17

Both parents and her brother have since passed. She is not mentioned at all, as living or dead, in any of their obituaries.
1966? Strange... Why would they move to Tucson, move out Tucson and then move back in... Can you link their obituaries?

Now this is strange. In 1957, Ann was presumed found in Texas. This likely was a dead end as why would they compare her to the body of Yolanda Gomez if she was found? This DOES give us a new photo of her so this does not end in a dead end. For this reason it is obvious Ann was not found here. This was soon after her mothers appeal on TV. I think this may have been someone posing as Ann for fame or something.
Ann Caldwell found? -

Here is a better shot of the new photo we have of her:
Arizona_Daily_Star_Sat__Mar_30__1957_.jpg

Now this is strange. In 1957, Ann was presumed found in Texas. This likely was a dead end as why would they compare her to the body of Yolanda Gomez if she was found? This DOES give us a new photo of her so this does not end in a dead end. For this reason it is obvious Ann was not found here. This was soon after her mothers appeal on TV. I think this may have been someone posing as Ann for fame or something.
Ann Caldwell found? -

Here is a better shot of the new photo we have of her:
View attachment 379953
Yes, I had posted this article above. I don't think it was someone posing as her. More likely, another case of mistaken identity.

After I posted this article, I noticed something interesting about her timeline. I couldn't find a follow up to this article confirming she was located or if it was another false lead, but no more articles were posted about her disappearance until the three-year anniversary in 1959. That article, which is just a rehashing of the known info, is here: ann e caldwell - Newspapers.com
The next day, there was another possible sighting, posted above as well: Tucson Daily Citizen from Tucson, Arizona on March 14, 1959 · Page 1

The gap between this article in 1957 and the anniversary in 1959 is strange. I can't tell if she was found and the news didn't reach the papers (hard to imagine with the extensive reporting), or if reporting naturally died down with the passage of time. There were no articles until the 1960 comparison, and nothing after that at all that I've found yet.

Yes, I had posted this article above. I don't think it was someone posing as her. More likely, another case of mistaken identity.

After I posted this article, I noticed something interesting about her timeline. I couldn't find a follow up to this article confirming she was located or if it was another false lead, but no more articles were posted about her disappearance until the three-year anniversary in 1959. That article, which is just a rehashing of the known info, is here: ann e caldwell - Newspapers.com
The next day, there was another possible sighting, posted above as well: Tucson Daily Citizen from Tucson, Arizona on March 14, 1959 · Page 1

The gap between this article in 1957 and the anniversary in 1959 is strange. I can't tell if she was found and the news didn't reach the papers (hard to imagine with the extensive reporting), or if reporting naturally died down with the passage of time. There were no articles until the 1960 comparison, and nothing after that at all that I've found yet.
The case grew cold I guess. Maybe this leaves Ann's fate, death or otherwise, sometimes in the late 50s - early60s? Strange. This was a nation-wide search... I ask again, how has nobody seen this prior to this page?

Does anybody have a way to get her on NamUs? I know there's a way but it requires you to be US based which I am not. If we want any chance of this girl being found, NamUs is the best place to do it. Anyone got any ideas?

It's kind of surprising there isn't some sort of Namus FAQ here on WS anywhere (that I can find).

Namus says "Public users may enter new missing person cases into NamUs, track cases, and search/view all publicly-visible information in NamUs case files. All public case entries are vetted with the appropriate investigating agency prior to being made publicly viewable in NamUs." source

"All case entries are vetted with the appropriate local, state, federal, or tribal law enforcement agency prior to publication in NamUs. This vetting includes a review of the case data for accuracy, completeness, and appropriateness for public viewing. Once a case is vetted and NamUs obtains permission from the investigating agency, the case is published in NamUs for public viewing and searching." source

Here's DoeNetwork's requirements for the general public submitting a case:

This Jane Doe found in 1968 in Las Vegas does match Ann to an extent. No mention of the spinal condition or the dental issues on the newspaper clipping though. She does match the height and would be the lower estimated age of the Doe at the time. Possible but there may be a better match out there. Current status of the Doe's case is unknown though.

This Doe also fits but is 3 inches shorter but the weight, age and even the dying of hair matches. Ann would want to hide her blond hair as it is quite distinguishing.

Again, possible but this Doe's hair was dyed blonde while Ann's hair was natural to my knowledge.

Possible match with the "Woman in the Trunk?" There is time for her to have a child between 1956 and 1969 and I have noted similar bone structure. They do believe she had brown eyes while Ann had blue but the woman was already decomposing and eye discoloration is common I believe. I normally don't believe in isotope testing but this time it goes in Ann's favour as Texas is just shy of being south eastern, where the Doe may have come from.

Last edited:
That’s a good point, @UnlicensedPI .

I was doing a bit of research this morning and it’s frustrating- she/her case do seem to just drop off the face of the earth.

Possible small trails to track down:

Her parents maintained their Tucson house until about 1961 - they don’t appear in the 1962 city directory.

Jim Caldwell died in 1993, mom Edith in 2003.

Ann had a younger brother named Donald Jim, who died in 2015. No mention of his parents or sister. (His birth certificate is online via the state.). There were 2 other children born to the family in between Ann and Donald, but apparently they died before his birth - see his birth certificate.

No death certificate issued in Arizona, but her birth certificate is available online through the state.

Search for probate/court cases, property sales (Tucson, “Antelope Ranch” in Willcox)

FOIA for any case files from Pima or Cochise County? (We don’t know who originally ‘owned’ the case, do we?)

Ancestry research.

What else, besides newspapers?

That’s a good point, @UnlicensedPI .

I was doing a bit of research this morning and it’s frustrating- she/her case do seem to just drop off the face of the earth.

Possible small trails to track down:

Her parents maintained their Tucson house until about 1961 - they don’t appear in the 1962 city directory.

Jim Caldwell died in 1993, mom Edith in 2003.

Ann had a younger brother named Donald Jim, who died in 2015. No mention of his parents or sister. (His birth certificate is online via the state.). There were 2 other children born to the family in between Ann and Donald, but apparently they died before his birth - see his birth certificate.

No death certificate issued in Arizona, but her birth certificate is available online through the state.

Search for probate/court cases, property sales (Tucson, “Antelope Ranch” in Willcox)

FOIA for any case files from Pima or Cochise County? (We don’t know who originally ‘owned’ the case, do we?)

Ancestry research.

What else, besides newspapers?
I contacted a PD about her and they said they'd check but never got back to me. Not the Texas one though as I don't know how to contact them about it. I'm also trying to get confirmation on her status as a MP but have hit dead ends so I needed to do something with her case.

There is a family tree including Ann on it on Ancestry. The DOD is "Unknown". Probably due to lack of info but this tree seems like a tree made by one of her distant or non-distant family members. I won't contact them for obvious reasons or link their tree for privacy but will link the ancestry sources they used on her page. It's where we got her DOB in the first place.

Also, the University of Arizona yearbooks are online, and she doesn’t appear in 1954, 1955, 1956. Curious.
She didn't attend an Arizona university. The articles say she attended Radford School for Girls in El Paso, TX. Haven't found any yearbooks for the school but maybe you can find something I can't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1
Back