AZ - Jerry, 62, & Susan McFalls, 62, homicide, Littlefield, 11 Jan 2018 *reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not very confident in the legalese to decipher what stage this is at.

Presumably, if the victim is missing, the case won't proceed.
BBM

Hmmmmm....could this be why the victim is missing? It wouldn’t be the first time that’s been the motive.

If someone gets a criminal record, that can automatically mean they lose their job, or other significant consequences such as being unable to buy, or deal, in guns.

Another thought is, it's not necessarily the case that the person who came out of the house carrying the BB gun, was actually the person who fired the gun. Just speculating about how a seemingly minor incident could lead to drastic measures.

If someone gets a criminal record, that can automatically mean they lose their job, or other significant consequences such as being unable to buy, or deal, in guns.

Another thought is, it's not necessarily the case that the person who came out of the house carrying the BB gun, was actually the person who fired the gun. Just speculating about how a seemingly minor incident could lead to drastic measures.

Strongly agree! If the bb's with which Jerry McFalls was shot were designed to increase range and accuracy, that might point toward someone in the house who is, at the very least, a firearms enthusiast. To speculate, if someone were to take responsibility for shooting someone to avoid charges being brought against a loved one who might otherwise face drastic consequences if legally charged, the guilty party would remain free. That person would also likely not be happy that LE was called and charges were being pursued in the first place. JMO.

I didn't see this posted previously. It's from February 2.

The sheriff’s office only confirmed that the couple is considered persons of interest and that there had been a history of conflict between them and the McFalls.

https://www.thestandardnewspaper.ne...ely-victims-of-homicide-focus-is-on-neighbors

ETA: I know we are on the same page here, I just hadn't seen 'POI' and 'the neighbors' in the same sentence in MSM.

The sheriff’s office only confirmed that the couple is considered persons of interest and that there had been a history of conflict between them and the McFalls.

https://www.thestandardnewspaper.ne...ely-victims-of-homicide-focus-is-on-neighbors

ETA: I know we are on the same page here, I just hadn't seen 'POI' and 'the neighbors' in the same sentence in MSM.

Ugh, those poor people! Whatever happened, it had to have been a chaotic nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, water girl! I knew that LO had been named a POI, but I wasn't sure about her husband, David William Myhaver (DWM). DWM used to go by the last name of Oakley several years ago (not sure why he changed names).

DWM holds a Federal Firearms License as a dealer. LO was charged with a felony count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon / dangerous instrument due to the police call (MSM link above). Being convicted of a felony count would disqualify one from owning firearms (and thus disqualify one from holding an FFL).

SPECULATION: Note that the prohibition would occur at conviction, not charging. Still, there would be motive for LO to claim responsibility for shooting Jerry to avoid DWM being convicted of a felony that would result in the loss of his FFL. IMO.

Thank you, water girl! I knew that LO had been named a POI, but I wasn't sure about her husband, David William Myhaver (DWM). DWM used to go by the last name of Oakley several years ago (not sure why he changed names).

DWM holds a Federal Firearms License as a dealer. LO was charged with a felony count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon / dangerous instrument due to the police call (MSM link above). Being convicted of a felony count would disqualify one from owning firearms (and thus disqualify one from holding an FFL).

SPECULATION: Note that the prohibition would occur at conviction, not charging. Still, there would be motive for LO to claim responsibility for shooting Jerry to avoid DWM being convicted of a felony that would result in the loss of his FFL. IMO.
Very interesting

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Since both have now been named POIs, we can sleuth them openly!!!!

Yes. In that scenario I speculate the POI might have believed police wouldn't charge LO, being more likely seen as an accident or something. But maybe police called their bluff. Then there's the question of whether LO was really willing to face a penalty of 5 years in jail and/or $150,000 fine.

I found that the POI couple submitted a petition against another neighbour's 2013 rezoning application because any development "would cause problems in shooting my guns in open range" (not 'our' guns, I notice). The neighbour responded that "this scares me as a property owner just 1/2 mile away". Sorry, I don't have tools to snip the lengthy PDF, the petition by LA and DWM are on p. 60, the neighbour's response is at the bottom of p. 61 here: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...FjAHegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2iIO8LeXpFPNjMRgWbgTTS

So it would seem possibly, if you objected to your neighbour using the surrounding property as a shooting range, you might incur his wrath. Shooting you with a BB gun might be a warning that worse things could happen if you ride your ATV near his home again.

Unfortunately this looks very sinister for this poor couple, I wish they'd moved to their other home just a day or two earlier.

Great post!

However, even it were only the wife who was convicted, I believe he would still have complications because of it.

“Can a Prohibited Person be in the Vicinity of Weapons Possessed by Others?

The safe and sound answer to that question is no. However, there are a number of scenarios that are fact specific to each circumstance in which it theoretically could be legal. Nevertheless, most often prohibited individuals believe that they are not in “possession of a firearm,” when in reality they are likely in violation of federal and state law and are putting themselves and their family at risk.”

Great post!

However, even it were only the wife who was convicted, I believe he would still have complications because of it.

“Can a Prohibited Person be in the Vicinity of Weapons Possessed by Others?

The safe and sound answer to that question is no. However, there are a number of scenarios that are fact specific to each circumstance in which it theoretically could be legal. Nevertheless, most often prohibited individuals believe that they are not in “possession of a firearm,” when in reality they are likely in violation of federal and state law and are putting themselves and their family at risk.”

Great point. (Speculating) If DWM was the triggerman, this may have happened a few ways:

1) DWM may not have thought Jerry would call law enforcement about being shot with a bb gun (bad call) (not sure how likely this is)
2) DWM may have thought LO being arrested would get him off the hook, then realized what you posted -- there would still be issues with his license, at the very least, and perhaps even his continued ownership of firearms.
3) As satchie posts above, perhaps in the moment LO was willing to take the blame, but after a) she was taken into custody, b) spent a few nights in prison, and c) realized the gravity of the situation, she wasn't as willing to take the heat.

Good sleuthing about the petition. This whole situation makes me think the worst of the POI(s), given past actions and the fact that they directly benefited from the McFalls disappearing. MOO.

Great point. (Speculating) If DWM was the triggerman, this may have happened a few ways:

1) DWM may not have thought Jerry would call law enforcement about being shot with a bb gun (bad call) (not sure how likely this is)

RSBM

I think this is a clue to a personality that might be implusive, blind to legal consequence, and with a tendency to violence. You and I wouldn't have fired the BB gun, but then we aren't persons of interest in missing persons cases.

RSBM

I think this is a clue to a personality that might be implusive, blind to legal consequence, and with a tendency to violence. You and I wouldn't have fired the BB gun, but then we aren't persons of interest in missing persons cases.

I wonder if shooting him with a BB gun was a sick test in some way. Either to see how they would react or to see how it felt.

I wonder if shooting him with a BB gun was a sick test in some way. Either to see how they would react or to see how it felt.

I agree. Here is a comment on a gun site by a David Myhaver of Arizona.

I am a BIG 44mag fan love that that gun.
http://www.automagheaven.com/cgi-bin/gb/guestbook.cgi

I'm not too famliar with this stuff, but it seems to me a gun dealer who loves 44 magnums isn't normally going to be into BB guns, but I may be wrong.

Interesting. I found this comment in a series of emails regarding the rezoning of some land in Arizona.

“ Lastly, I am quite concerned that Mr. David Myhaver of APN #402-32-011 is opposing the rezoning because having "a housing development put in will cause problems with shooting (his) guns in open range." After doing some research, I see that with the exception of the approximate 250 feet of Willow Road that faces Arizona State property (that continues due South away from the proposed RV development), this area is completely zoned for residential already. I'm sorry, but this letter of opposition just scares me as property owner just 1/2 mile away. I sincerely appreciate your consideration of these late comments.”

I have not seen any updates on the search warrant that was served on the neighbors property about 3 weeks ago.
Maybe nothing of interest was found or maybe LE is still investigating.

I was so hoping they would be found by now. I think if we apply Occam’s Razor to this one, we have a pretty good idea whodunnit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back