Barbados - Oscar Suarez, 32 & Magdalena Devil, 25, from NJ, on jet ski, Holetown Beach, 24 June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Oscar Suarez, 32, and Magdalena Devil, 25, of Montclair, were last seen proceeding out to sea on a jet ski at Holetown Beach on Monday. The couple was wearing life jackets but never returned to shore.

When the jet ski operator became concerned, they contacted other operators to carry out a search, but neither the couple or the jet ski were found.

New Jersey couple goes missing while on vacation in Barbados

06aa032c-eacd-41f0-a4d0-64df91e9c1bd-MontclairMissing2.jpg

Montclair couple reported missing in Barbados after renting jet ski

They arrived in Barbados Saturday and were planning to leave June 29. They were staying at Discovery Bay hotel in Trents Holetown St. James. They did not check back into the hotel.

still missing:

'The Family Has Been Devastated': N.J. Couple Goes Missing While On Vacation In Barbados

2 Americans missing after Jet Ski ride in Barbados - CNN Video

D9_rWKrXsAAit34.jpg

The Royal Barbados Police Force is seeking the assistance of the public in locating two missing persons.Missing are visitors Oscar Suarez 32 years and Magdalena Devil 25 years both of the U.S.A who are currently staying at Room 49, Discovery Bay Hotel, Trents, St. James. . On Monday 24th June about 2:34pm they rented a Jet Ski from an operator at Holetown B
each and proceeded out to sea and have not been seen since. Anyone with information relative to the whereabouts of Oscar Suarez and Magdalena Devil is asked to contact the Emergency number 211, Holetown Police Station at 419-1700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIPS (8477), or the nearest Police Station.

Suarez, who attended Freedom High School in Orlando for three years, and Devil were originally supposed to go to the Dominican Republic, but with recent travel concerns on the island, family members say they switched their plans at the last minute and booked an all-inclusive resort in Barbados instead.

A $10,000 award is being offered for information that helps find the couple.

D-LwIXhXkAI6xIX.jpg

Couple with Ties to Central Florida Missing in Barbados

I thought a jet ski floated pretty easily. I’ve never been on one, though. Could it have malfunctioned, and even blew up? If they were far enough away, nobody might’ve seen it happen. You’d still expect debris to float, though. I wonder what kind of current it is there. This is puzzling.

Suarez, who attended Freedom High School in Orlando for three years, and Devil were originally supposed to go to the Dominican Republic, but with recent travel concerns on the island, family members say they switched their plans at the last minute and booked an all-inclusive resort in Barbados instead.

A $10,000 award is being offered for information that helps find the couple.

D-LwIXhXkAI6xIX.jpg

Couple with Ties to Central Florida Missing in Barbados
RBBM
How sadly ironic is that?

I thought a jet ski floated pretty easily. I’ve never been on one, though. Could it have malfunctioned, and even blew up? If they were far enough away, nobody might’ve seen it happen. You’d still expect debris to float, though. I wonder what kind of current it is there. This is puzzling.
Plus they were wearing life jackets.

Does a jet ski hold enough gas to make it to another island?
Looks like the closest island is 100 miles away, unless there are smaller islands not showing up on map. The scarier thing is they have been missing for over a week. Even if they did make it to another island, they should have been found by now.

Reading about jet skis, of which I know just about nothing, seems they can go 35mph for about 2 1/2 hours, if maintained at that speed. Assuming they had a full tank to begin with, that equals 105 miles. Also read that they can and do sink, something to do with foam and taking on water.

The fact that no trace of either the jet ski or of Oscar and Magdalena has been found is strange, unless searching has just not hot upon the exact location. Still, that's a long time to be stranded in the ocean, even with lift vests. JMO

Looks like the closest island is 100 miles away, unless there are smaller islands not showing up on map. The scarier thing is they have been missing for over a week. Even if they did make it to another island, they should have been found by now.

Reading about jet skis, of which I know just about nothing, seems they can go 35mph for about 2 1/2 hours, if maintained at that speed. Assuming they had a full tank to begin with, that equals 105 miles. Also read that they can and do sink, something to do with foam and taking on water.

The fact that no trace of either the jet ski or of Oscar and Magdalena has been found is strange, unless searching has just not hot upon the exact location. Still, that's a long time to be stranded in the ocean, even with lift vests. JMO
My math is off. I ended up with 3 hours of travel. 2 1/2 hours would only get them about 80-85 miles. And this article says they only rented the jet ski for 1/2 hour.
Strange info abut their sandals and towels being found on the beach. Likely they drowned at this point, so maybe they left their things on the beach planning to return directly after the short ride.

Family of missing Montclair couple anxious for answers - Montclair Local News

What authorities do know is that Suarez and Devil rented the jet ski and set off around 2:33 p.m. on June 24 for a half-hour ride. They were last seen heading out to sea on the watercraft, witnesses told police. When the couple had not returned within the half-hour time limit, the jet ski operator became concerned and asked other jet ski company operators if they had seen Suarez and Devil. But no one had seen the couple, and the jet ski operator called police.

Authorities have not pulled footage from the security cameras on the beach area, nor have relatives been allowed into Suarez and Devil’s hotel room, she said.

Some of the couple’s personal effects, including beach towels and sandals, were reported to have been found on the beach, she said.

Last edited:
The jet ski ridden by a missing Montclair couple vacationing in Barbados may have been recovered, according to authorities there. The couple remains missing, however.

Reports: Jet ski ridden by missing Montclair residents recovered - Montclair Local News
From your link:
"The Nation News in Barbados reported Saturday, July 6, that the crew of a French naval ship spotted a jet ski floating in the sea off the southern coast of Guadaloupe, approximately 250 miles northwest of Barbados. The ship notified the Barbados and Guadaloupe coast guards of the discovery.

The jet ski is reported to have the same registration number as the jet ski, described in media reports as a blue 2016 Yamaha jet ski, that Suarez and Devil had rented at Holetown Beach on June 24. The jet ski was recovered and handed over to authorities in Guadaloupe for further examination Saturday."

Wow! 250 miles away! Obviously ( pretty much) that hey fell or maybe were thrown off. Still, they had life vests so why were they not found? Sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back