Being sober is boring: Charlie Sheen

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure that Charlie has had time to get sobriety. Clean and not using and recovery/sobriety are two different animals.

The only addiction that I have had was nicotine. I've been quit smoking now for 4 months, my addiction still taps me on my shoulder a few times a week and tells me I need to go use.

I don't. Even if recovery is 24 hours at a time, it does help to get a few of those 24 hours under your belt because you learn and develop new coping mechanisms. KWIM?

AFAIK this middle aged man has never had extended periods of sobriety since a teen.

His disease is deeply rooted and rooted in mind body spirit just like all addictions.

This is just a sad situation. Everyone that has come into his life thus far, the relationships that have been destroyed by his using, the life's he created with other women, and the people that relied on him to uphold his end of contractual agreements to earn their living---all have suffered including Charlie Sheen.

It's hard to find compassion and understanding for addicts sometimes. I understand that---but this guy is so burnt out I'm not sure that there is anything left for him to salvage and that makes me kind of sad even though I don't personally know him.

As an aside if I had personally known him I know I would have done as I have with others that I have met that were exactly like him. Head in the other direction ASAP, if at all possible.

JMHO and I'll pray for him tonight. Pray he has a miracle in his life (and his kids boy they need it after this)

I hope he saved some of his big bucks from that show. He has 4 children to support and 2 ex-wives to support as well.
Denise can probably hold her own. Brooke? Not so much.

Good going Charlie.:maddening::loser:
moo

I just wish he had not had children - it's one thing to make those kinds of decisions and live that lifestyle if you are alone, it's another thing entirely when you have young children.

I agree. I kind-a think if having 4 young children who need a father (not a drug using, party boy) isn't reason enough to clean up your act - you're a lost cause.

I don't mean this as a refection on those who struggle with their addiction, in spite of having children. I mean it as someone who isn't even considering those kids - making the comments he has shows me they aren't even part of his game plan - to me, that is pure selfishness talking - addict or not.

A very clear indication in my opinion that he needs swift intervention. Reminds me of Lindsay Lohan. He's such a train wreck. I wish his family would intervene.. again. Very sad, especially for his young children who will one day read about their father's addiction and trouble with the law, as well as his off-the-wall comments regarding his problems. I hope he gets help very soon.

I've yet to know anyone that can manage a crack addition! Wow. He seems like a nice enough guy underneath it all. Like the kinda guy that is fun and easy going until he gets on drugs. How sad. I love his dad Martin and I know he has tried everything.

The sentiment along the lines of "but what about the children?" doesn't seem to take into account that, despite his party boy ways, he provides a pretty exquisite standard of living for his children. Is that ALL a father should provide to his kids? Maybe not in an ideal world, but it's more than many many children get from their fathers.

We all have to recover from our parents in some form or fashion. Well, all of us except those who had perfect parents, but I don't know anyone who can say that. At least there'll be enough money for his children to invest in therapy.

Charlie Sheen is certainly no role model and he's never claimed to be. Like Goz, I think he likes being shocking.

I have experienced firsthand the damage done to others due to alcoholism. My sister died of this disease after struggling with alcoholism for over 20 years. She checked out of this world a few years ago after several days of heavy drinking mixed with prescription drugs. I still struggle with her death daily and went through hell the first two years, with the woulda, shoulda, coulda syndrome. It's terrible the guilt you feel. I felt I should have been able to save her because I loved her & I could not save her from her demons. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the loss of a loved one to alcohol/drugs. It is absolutely horrible. It's the most traumatic thing I ever went through. I also saw how her kids really suffered through years of her addiction from the time they were little kids, having a parent falling down drunk at important milestones in your life, not really being present for you, embarassing you, but I think the most damaging thing to little kids is they learn not to trust anyone. After all you can't really trust your own parent because their drug of choice always comes before you do. The emotional damage done to a child because of their parents alcoholism affects every area of their lives and it lasts a lifetime. JMO.

I have experienced firsthand the damage done to others due to alcoholism. My sister died of this disease after struggling with alcoholism for over 20 years. She checked out of this world a few years ago after several days of heavy drinking mixed with prescription drugs. I still struggle with her death daily and went through hell the first two years, with the woulda, shoulda, coulda syndrome. It's terrible the guilt you feel. I felt I should have been able to save her because I loved her & I could not save her from her demons. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the loss of a loved one to alcohol/drugs. It is absolutely horrible. It's the most traumatic thing I ever went through. I also saw how her kids really suffered through years of her addiction from the time they were little kids, having a parent falling down drunk at important milestones in your life, not really being present for you, embarassing you, but I think the most damaging thing to little kids is they learn not to trust anyone. After all you can't really trust your own parent because their drug of choice always comes before you do. The emotional damage done to a child because of their parents alcoholism affects every area of their lives and it lasts a lifetime. JMO.

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:

ty for sharing that Nancy, I am sorry for your loss and sorry you had to watch your sister kill herself slowly. What an awful thing. And you are right, the damage done to children of alchoholics is imeasurable and can affect them their entire lives.

The sentiment along the lines of "but what about the children?" doesn't seem to take into account that, despite his party boy ways, he provides a pretty exquisite standard of living for his children. Is that ALL a father should provide to his kids? Maybe not in an ideal world, but it's more than many many children get from their fathers.

We all have to recover from our parents in some form or fashion. Well, all of us except those who had perfect parents, but I don't know anyone who can say that. At least there'll be enough money for his children to invest in therapy.

Charlie Sheen is certainly no role model and he's never claimed to be. Like Goz, I think he likes being shocking.

I dunno, SCM, I feel like his kids would probably be better off with no father in their life, growing up on welfare then one who chronically abuses their mother(s). The addiction in and of itself, I hear ya, we are all screwed up in one way or another and such a huge percentage of our society are addicts in one from or another.. most of us can heal from that. But this guy, he is abusive and violently so. His rage toward women (the mothers of his children) is very scary ..I really fear he will end up killing one of these women he claims to "love" one day and by the way his behavior has been spiraling out of control it will probably be sooner rather then later. That won't wash out so easily in therapy for his kids even if they get the best shrink money can buy. All the money in the world couldn't fix that.

He is a scary dude... and it goes beyond addiction IMO

I agreed with this thought, found in the comments section of the original article:

"After 29 years clean and sober I've learned one thing. If what people find in the sober world isn't better than ''anything'' in the drunk world then they have no chance of staying sober for an extended length of time. None. Just go on out, drink and have fun. If Charlie has to die, there ain't none of us getting out of this thing alive anyway."

Although I do not have 29 years clean and sober, I have 15+ years experience with alcohol and drug recovery and what that poster had to say about Sheen echoes my own experience. If being clean doesn't bring about a more fulfilling life, a person won't stay on that path.

I respect Sheen much more for speaking his truth than I would him if he pretended to want to stop using just to garner the approval of his friends, family and the general public.

I have to agree with you, and he's being blatantly honest. Though I say he's getting up there in age - he's not 20 anymore. A few years back I could pound a few, but not so much anymore. If we go to a bar, it's one glass of wine (okay, maybe 2). But I usually end up feeling horrid the next day. I can only imagine how Charlie must feel with all those trips to the emergency room. There will come a time when his body will retaliate even more and he'll have no choice. Give it up or die.

One part of the article I don't agree with is his Crack statement. Crack is NOT a social drug, and I don't believe anyone on planet earth can handle it socially. I guess he doesn't watch the TV show Intervention.

MOO

Mel

I'm so sorry for your loss Nancy.

:hug:

Mel

I think so too. Charlie is locked out of the studio, last 4 episodes cut. And now it's apparent that the honchos at Two and a Half Men have realized that Charlie and his character are one in the same and it's just not funny anymore. Interesting comments last night from the shows creator.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/15/chuck...ves-pissed-angry-two-and-a-half-men-response/

It's not the first time Lorre has used the slate to weigh in on the Charlie situation -- a few weeks ago, he ran a message that read:

"Do not attempt to replicate what you saw in tonight's episode of Two and a Half Men ... Please keep in mind that we employ a highly-paid Hollywood professional who has years of experience with putting his life at risk. And sadly no, I'm not talking about our stunt man."

More comments from Lorre at link.

Just a quick add - we removed 2.5 men from our TIVO because our 13 year old son knows what's going on with him and begs the question "why is he still on TV -- shouldn't he be getting help or something".

Wise words of wisdom from a youngin...

MOO

Mel

I didn't realize he had so many kids.

His main priority should be as a positive role model for his kids. His second priority should be to contribute in a postive way to society.

He's doing neither.

What he's doing is causing unbelievable stress and heartache for his family, friends, employers, etc.

When he calls for emergency services, those ambulances could be responding to someone who actually wants them. I could go on and on about how his partying has gone beyond fun into destruction and a burden on society. It's not just about him and his freewill and his 'personal life'.

If he wants to destroy himself, more power to him but not when he is doing it at the expense of a whole plethora of people. He's a selfish, irresponsible, immature man. His comments could've come from a 16 year-old. How old is he again?

After those comments, if they don't write him out of that show, they're more forgiving than I.

I actually felt somewhat bad for him until now.

I'm sorry for what you had to go through Nancy.

I have shared in the past that I watched a Gmother drink herself to death and she was dead by the time I was 14 yrs old.

It's ugly. Real ugly.

Drug addiction/alcohol addiction is a generational disease. I was the Grandchild of an Alcoholic and my life was irrevocably changed by her disease.

It effected my Mother who was born to, abandoned by, and later taken to live with and raised by her. It effected my Mother's only sibling the say way.

Both of those women had children. The six of us carry the scars that is what is known as generational alcoholism. The 'ism's are what will kick your @ss. Of the six grandkids, 3 have been treated for alcoholism, 2 drinks like a fish but do not have the addiction, I rarely if ever have a drink nowadays.

I had to learn that my own Mother can't help who she is now because of the extreme damage done to her psyche during her developmental years by her own alcoholic mother.

I have tried my best to correct those wrongs done to me by her and try to keep from passing down any 'ism's to my own children. But it's a crap shoot as to if they got that gene? Who knows? I did let them know that it could be genetic and drew out their family tree so that when they do start drinking they can make informed choices.

I'm an addict too though. My drug of choice is nicotine and nicotine only but I tell you what...it's a kick in the fanny to try to stop and even 4 months later I struggle with it daily.

As for Charlie he's a burn out. He probably thrives on this lifestyle and he probably is bored not using. I fully expect that he will start using again. If he does, he will use until he dies. He might quit here and there again but he'll use until he dies IMHO.

Now that will have an everlasting impact on his kids JMHO.

I'm so sorry, Nancy. I too have had parental addiction play out in my life.

I dunno, SCM, I feel like his kids would probably be better off with no father in their life, growing up on welfare then one who chronically abuses their mother(s). The addiction in and of itself, I hear ya, we are all screwed up in one way or another and such a huge percentage of our society are addicts in one from or another.. most of us can heal from that. But this guy, he is abusive and violently so. His rage toward women (the mothers of his children) is very scary ..I really fear he will end up killing one of these women he claims to "love" one day and by the way his behavior has been spiraling out of control it will probably be sooner rather then later. That won't wash out so easily in therapy for his kids even if they get the best shrink money can buy. All the money in the world couldn't fix that.

He is a scary dude... and it goes beyond addiction IMO

I hear you, OLG. But I think it's better to have a father with addiction issues who can provide physical needs than to have a father with addiction issues who can't hold down a job or spends every scrap of $ he scrapes up on drugs.

Also, there's something to be said for "If you can't be a good example then at least you can be a horrible warning." Charlie has some real unmanageability associated with his using and his personality (violence towards women, hospital visits, police intervention). That can be used as a teaching point with children and drug use.

I dare say that how his kids turn out will depend more on their make-up than on his bad behavior. I am not saying his addiction won't shatter down sadness in their lives - we all know it will - just saying he's not the only or even PRIMARY influence in their lives.

You and I know better than some that he won't change his life unless he wants to.

ETA - yes, I agree - NOT just addiction issues at play here!

I have to agree with you, and he's being blatantly honest. Though I say he's getting up there in age - he's not 20 anymore. A few years back I could pound a few, but not so much anymore. If we go to a bar, it's one glass of wine (okay, maybe 2). But I usually end up feeling horrid the next day. I can only imagine how Charlie must feel with all those trips to the emergency room. There will come a time when his body will retaliate even more and he'll have no choice. Give it up or die.

One part of the article I don't agree with is his Crack statement. Crack is NOT a social drug, and I don't believe anyone on planet earth can handle it socially. I guess he doesn't watch the TV show Intervention.

MOO

Mel

Crack is whack!!!!

Dear whoever this brand new love of Charlie's is:

Are you insane?? No, I am being serious! Do you have mental health issues? RUN!

Who falls in love with an alcholic/crack addict who has been violent towards women previously WHILE they are in "home rehab"????

Who DOES that??

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knewborn96