Belgium - Julie Van Espen, 23, murdered, Antwerp, May 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

moonlightmystery

Reaction score
Julie Van Espen disappeared from Antwerp, Belgium last Saturday (May 4th, 2019).

Julie is a student aged 23. She's slim and 1m64 in height. She has long blonde hair and was wearing a dark green (Kaki) winter coat and dark gray trainers by Adidas.
She had a dark coloured bike from Peugeot.

She was on her way to meet some friends in the city but never showed. Police immediately decided foul play was involved.

I thought it would be interesting to follow the story closely, but would like to express my deepest condolences to the family and friends involved.

Timeline:

May 4th, 2019:
Julie left the house at around 18:20 according to her dad. She was supposed to meet up with her friends, arriving at around 19 in the city centre, but she never made it.
AT around 9 pm, her friends contacted Julie's parents to tell them Julie never showed.

Police immediately thought the disappearance was suspicious but I couldn't find out when the search for her exactly started or when the cops were called in (I assume around the time she was discovered missing).

May 5th, 2019:

The search for Julie continues and police search along the route she would have taken, going as far as to search the river she was cycling past with divers and sonar.
Sometime this day her clothes were found along with the basket of her bike. At this point law enforcement classifies the case as a murder as traces of blood are found on the objects. Her ID was found in a dumpster by police officers.

The search was halted around 22:00 that evening.

May 6th, 2019:

Around 1:30 am the police release images of a suspect caught on camera near the place her clothes were found, putting out a BOLO.

The search for Julie's body and bicycle is continued at around 10 in the morning.

Around 200 tips come in concerning whereabouts of the man.
Sometime around noon the man is identified and picked up at a train station in Leuven, about a thirty minute train ride from Antwerp.

41779ffc-6ff0-11e9-97b6-8dfacfb0bcd5_web_scale_0.2868318_0.2868318__.jpg

I'll try to update as any process on the case is reported.

Personally I'd like to believe Julie is still alive somewhere as her body hasn't been found, so I hope they can solve this case soon and get her home!

Update: May 6th, 2019 at around 17:00, Julie van Espen's body has sadly been found by divers.

The suspect under custody is now officially a murder suspect as the images caught of him showed him walking towards the nearby channel with the basket of Julie's bike in hand (this fact was earlier fotoshopped out before the pictures were released to not worry the public).

The suspect, only being identified with the initials S.B., is a 39 yo man from Antwerp with at least 2 previous rape charges. Most likely scenario Julie was violated as well before having been killed.

My condolences go out to her family and friends and I hope that her family can find some closure once the is behind bars for good.

I wanted to post another update because this case has been given a lot of attention to the errors in the Belgian law enforcement especially concerning the justice system.

So the murder of Julie Van Espen has confessed to killer Julie after she fought back against his attack. This gives me hope that though she died prematurely, she might not have been raped.

Anyway. S.B. has been accused of two violent rapes before. Once in 2004 when he raped a 58 yo woman after she took pity on him - as he was homeless at the time - and invited him in for some sandwiches. The other was when he raped one of his two ex wives in 2017.

Both times he was convicted but due to procedural errors and understaffing he was released under probation awaiting prosecution.
It had been decided that he didn't form a risk to the public - even though he had attacked two women at that point.

It has also been released that S.B. had left tot he river banks with the intention of raping someone, which means it was a) premeditated and b) that if it hadn't been Julie it had been someone else who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

A lot of people are blaming the psychiatrist who assed him the previous two times and who came to the conclusion that he shouldn't be locked up. My assumption this meant as in a psychiatric institution. This however negates the fact that, if he didn't have any mental illnesses, he shouldn't have been put in a psychiatric hospital, but that that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been locked up in prison for his crimes that he committed. Just because he is a serial rapist doesn't mean he has a mental illness and the other way around.

Either way this highlights the problems the justice system needs to fix, because too many people are slipping through the cracks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d2xresearcher
Back